Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

WR help this Offseason

This is what we have currently

T.Y. Hilton

Parris Campbell

Zach Pascal

Daurice Fountain

I would like to see us sign Rishard Higgins as a free agent. He has played all 3 spots in the past with the Browns.

Then double down on a stud WR in the draft. We need a Reggie Wayne type of receiver that is a hands catcher, runs precise routes and gets in and out of his breaks smoothly. Someone like a Devonta Smith from Alabama.

In the later rounds I really like Michael Pittman from USC. Big WR with good high pointing ability tracking the ball well and is deceptively fast. He would be a great addition to replace and play Devin Funchess’ role. 

Early rounds I would love Ceedee Lamb, Tyler Johnson, or Justin Jefferson. 

• Like 1

Off-Topic: Ballard was seen (personally - again) scouting QB Jordan Love from Utah State. I believe he'll be a draft target with one of our second round picks - along with 2 wide receivers I'd bet.....

Ballards draft patterns seem to be throw several bodies at an issue each off-season.

Double downed on Corners

Double downed on defensive end

Double downed on linebackers

I see him spending high picks now to get the skill players on offense up to par with his defense.

1st round WR

2nd round WR

2nd round QB

then defense and oline the rest of the way

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, DEFENSE said:

i hope ballard signs an elite free agent wr, we have cap room, but i expect him to stick to the draft and cheap free agents

Just curious, which elite WR are you wanting us to sign?

Doing a quick google search, there's only 3 that could be considered anywhere close to elite, and that's being generous.

AJ Green, who is getting older and injury prone.

Josh Gordon, who has well documented severe red flags and hasn't been close to the elite receiver he was before all his suspensions.

Amari Cooper, who probably isn't walking from Dallas and if he was has been one of the most up and down, inconsistent receivers in the league.

31 minutes ago, CheezyColt said:

Doing a quick google search, there's only 3 that could be considered anywhere close to elite, and that's being generous.

Josh Gordon, who has well documented severe red flags and hasn't been close to the elite receiver he was before all his suspensions.

Amari Cooper, who probably isn't walking from Dallas and if he was has been one of the most up and down, inconsistent receivers in the league.

there will be some available, there always are, hoodie seems to sign them when he needs them

1 hour ago, DEFENSE said:

i hope ballard signs an elite free agent wr, we have cap room, but i expect him to stick to the draft and cheap free agents

With how good the WR draft class is in 2020 it would be a huge mistake shelling out money in free agency to a WR. Our track record signing free agent WRs has not been kind to us. 

If we go anywhere in free agency, it should be at CB, TE, K, or DT.

2 hours ago, CheezyColt said:

We all know that Ballard has never gone after an elite WR in FA.  This year the only WR that would be considered elite is Cooper.  Today, here in Western NY, listening to a Bills radio show the reporters were talking Cooper up as a target for Josh Allen next year IF he hits FA.  The Bills have never been timid about spending in FA.  So if he hits FA he is going to get some big offers.  If he does hit FA he is the type of WR I could see Ballard finally going after and spending some of his cap.  He knows it's a big need and getting an elite young playmaker like Cooper might finally get Ballard to go all in and fill a big hole right away. 

• Like 1

2 WRS that we could get later that I really like are Whop Philyor from Indiana and Tamorrion Terry from FSU. 

Whop is a small fast receiver. He is 5’11 178lbs. Stats from this year are 1,001 yards and 5 TDS. 

Terry is amazing.  Big, tall, fast and physical. He is 6’4 203 lbs. stats this year are 1,023 yards with 8 TDS. 

On 11/23/2019 at 10:24 PM, Scott Pennock said:

This is what we have currently

T.Y. Hilton

Parris Campbell

Zach Pascal

Daurice Fountain

I would like to see us sign Rishard Higgins as a free agent. He has played all 3 spots in the past with the Browns.

Then double down on a stud WR in the draft. We need a Reggie Wayne type of receiver that is a hands catcher, runs precise routes and gets in and out of his breaks smoothly. Someone like a Devonta Smith from Alabama.

How bout Ceedee Lamb

• Like 1

On 11/24/2019 at 6:23 AM, BProland85 said:

In the later rounds I really like Michael Pittman from USC. Big WR with good high pointing ability tracking the ball well and is deceptively fast. He would be a great addition to replace and play Devin Funchess’ role. 

Early rounds I would love Ceedee Lamb, Tyler Johnson, or Justin Jefferson. 

I believe Pittman projects as Day 2 kid right now.   That could change between now and the draft.  But I don’t see him lasting to the later rounds. (5, 6, 7)

IF Campbell can stay healthy I think he will get there. They were praising him in camp about how smooth his route running was. Then we need to invest high in a stud early. We should be set with our future at 1 and 2 with that. Then hopefully TY stays healthy and that would make a amazing trio the last few years of his career. Pascal then adds a lot of depth there. This draft is so deep we should have no issue finding a great WR. If fountain comes back strong that adds to it and still leaves room for a sixth guy. Maybe one that is playing now like Johnson. Except the sixth guy needs to be able to play ST.

16 hours ago, BProland85 said:

With how good the WR draft class is in 2020 it would be a huge mistake shelling out money in free agency to a WR. Our track record signing free agent WRs has not been kind to us. 

If we go anywhere in free agency, it should be at CB, TE, K, or DT.

you have a point

On 12/5/2019 at 6:45 PM, richard pallo said:

We all know that Ballard has never gone after an elite WR in FA.  This year the only WR that would be considered elite is Cooper.  Today, here in Western NY, listening to a Bills radio show the reporters were talking Cooper up as a target for Josh Allen next year IF he hits FA.  The Bills have never been timid about spending in FA.  So if he hits FA he is going to get some big offers.  If he does hit FA he is the type of WR I could see Ballard finally going after and spending some of his cap.  He knows it's a big need and getting an elite young playmaker like Cooper might finally get Ballard to go all in and fill a big hole right away. 

Dallas won't let him go.  They traded a 1st round pick for him and even if he isn't worth it, Dallas would still resign him

6 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Dallas won't let him go.  They traded a 1st round pick for him and even if he isn't worth it, Dallas would still resign him

I live here in Dallas

The "word" is that with Dak going to be given huge $$$$, they may not have the cash to ALSO sign Cooper.

Of course... the "word" is usually wrong :)

4 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I live here in Dallas

The "word" is that with Dak going to be given huge $$$$, they may not have the cash to ALSO sign Cooper.

Of course... the "word" is usually wrong :)

Dak won't b getting any big deal.  Dak bet on himself and didn't take the Cowboys offer before the season began.  To me, his value had gone way down as the season has progressed.  Remember, Dallas will have a new head coach and they usually like their own guy.  I think Dak could easily go from almost making 30 mill plus to a cast off in a short period of time. Just my thought.

12 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Dak won't b getting any big deal.  Dak bet on himself and didn't take the Cowboys offer before the season began.  To me, his value had gone way down as the season has progressed.  Remember, Dallas will have a new head coach and they usually like their own guy.  I think Dak could easily go from almost making 30 mill plus to a cast off in a short period of time. Just my thought.

The Cowboys will have about $88M of cap space. Plenty for both.
 Maybe they sign Amari and franchise Dak at $26M or so.
 I would pay Amari to be a Colt at $20M per if we had a quality QB.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I will say this about Dak.  After his opening drive Thursday he looked terrible.  People complain about JB but the Cowboys are now 6-7 with a QB who Jerry thinks is a franchise QB and the be all to end all and with an offense that is supposed to be far superior to the Colts.  Dak doesn't pass the smell test.  Let Jerry pay him and we can go after Cooper.  I'll take JB over Dak. Can you imagine if JB he had the same weapons as he has.   Even just flipping Cooper to the Colts would dramatically change our offense.  They can have Dak. 

12 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

12 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I will say this about Dak.  After his opening drive Thursday he looked terrible.  People complain about JB but the Cowboys are now 6-7 with a QB who Jerry thinks is a franchise QB and the be all to end all and with an offense that is supposed to be far superior to the Colts.  Dak doesn't pass the smell test.  Let Jerry pay him and we can go after Cooper.  I'll take JB over Dak. Can you imagine if JB he had the same weapons as he has.   Even just flipping Cooper to the Colts would dramatically change our offense.  They can have Dak. 

I'm not really a fan of Dak at all, but he is 1st in the NFL in yards, 4th in QBR, and 5th in AVG. The only area you can really dig on is his TD/INT ratio needs improving. 

Regardless, he's going to get a big deal from someone. 

On 12/5/2019 at 8:24 PM, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

2 WRS that we could get later that I really like are Whop Philyor from Indiana and Tamorrion Terry from FSU. 

Whop is a small fast receiver. He is 5’11 178lbs. Stats from this year are 1,001 yards and 5 TDS. 

As a guy who follows IU football pretty closely, all signs point to Whop returning to school next year.  This year is incredibly deep at WR.... If he stays in school, he could ride a couple of rounds next year just by staying healthy, let alone increasing his skill or production.... But, he'd be a great guy in a future T.Y. role

12 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

As a guy who follows IU football pretty closely, all signs point to Whop returning to school next year.  This year is incredibly deep at WR.... If he stays in school, he could ride a couple of rounds next year just by staying healthy, let alone increasing his skill or production.... But, he'd be a great guy in a future T.Y. role

Agree. As an IU fan I would love him back next year also. If he chooses to come out I really like him. 

Devin Duvernay, Texas

"Duvernay catches 85% of his targets, the highest rate among players with at least 40 targets this season. His 26 receptions for a first down is fourth nationally. He had his best statistical performance in the Longhorns' biggest game, catching 12 passes for 154 yards against LSU"

Duvernay has the physique of AJ Brown or Deebo Samuel, the hands of Reggie Wayne, and the speed of Tyreek Hill.

5'11" ... 210lbs... 85% catch rate.. 10.27 in the 100M dash. Hill ran a 10.19