Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colin Cowherd on Colts-Chiefs

coltsfeva

38 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Oh I agree. Just saying this is the type of football that travels well and wins in DEC and JAN. If we had played like this against the chiefs in that playoff game we win that game. We were playing playoff football last year and just ran out of gas in KC.

Definitely agree.  We're already gaining a reputation as being a tough team to play against.  We've been in the game until the literal last minute every week.

It's just that until t\we prove otherwise, the Pats are past masters of the same style of football.  We've got some learning to do to play at their level.

That said, their patchwork o-line gives us a chance to shock them.  You never know

20 minutes ago, Stephen said:

As unrealistic  as it might be if we won out we'd be the number 2 seed

If this defense can show more of what they showed against the chiefs I still think we can win the division and get a bye. KC is showing some holes. They are also Moore beat up then we are. They have some tough games left.  If this team wants it I think it’s there. Don’t think we will win out but I think we can compete for that 2 seed. This team has a choice to make. Are you the team against the chiefs or the raiders. I don’t think they will have a let down against the Texans but those next four games are all winnable. We can’t play down to the completion. Reich is going to have to do some things to keep this team motivated to play against some bad teams.

For me this has been a lot more fun then last season because of the circumstances.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

If this defense can show more of what they showed against the chiefs I still think we can win the division and get a bye. KC is showing some holes. They are also Moore beat up then we are. They have some tough games left.  If this team wants it I think it’s there. Don’t think we will win out but I think we can compete for that 2 seed. This team has a choice to make. Are you the team against the chiefs or the raiders. I don’t think they will have a let down against the Texans but those next four games are all winnable. We can’t play down to the completion. Reich is going to have to do some things to keep this team motivated to play against some bad teams.

I hope you are right, but I don't know.  All 5 games have been close games in which we could have won or lost any of them.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Myles said:

I hope you are right, but I don't know.  All 5 games have been close games in which we could have won or lost any of them.  

Most games in the NFL are close. What separates the good ones from the bad ones are the good ones find a way to win.

We will find out what this team is made of this next five games. If they are good they will win the games they should.  They will be sitting really nice if they take care of business the next five games.

12 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Most games in the NFL are close. What separates the good ones from the bad ones are the good ones find a way to win.

We will find out what this team is made of this next five games. If they are good they will win the games they should.  They will be sitting really nice if they take care of business the next five games.

If a team is in all close games they will usually lose several of them.   I'd like to see some separation happen with the score in a few of the next 4-5 games.   

43 minutes ago, Myles said:

Yep...they have a negative point differential right now. With a point differential that is even or slightly negative...you are typically looking at 8-9 wins at best. Colts actually won 11 with a -30 PD in Luck's rookie season...but they also got blown out by CHI, NYJ and NE...so it skewed the PD overall. 

I think it's sort of interesting...the Colts remind me of the recent TEN teams (built on the run game, defense, playing low-scoring games)...and just look at that matchup a few weeks ago and the box score...very similar.

And TEN has beat very good teams in recent years...but they have never really been a threat. The passing game for the Colts is what will take them to next level.

• Like 1

Just now, Myles said:

If a team is in all close games they will usually lose several of them.   I'd like to see some separation happen with the score in a few of the next 4-5 games.   

Hopefully we will with how bad the teams we play are. The Steelers are still competing so that one could be close. We will see if the broncos get their crap together.  We needed to convert a couple of those field goals into TD against the chiefs. We should of won by two TD.  But as bad as the chiefs defense is they have been pretty good in the red zone.

8 minutes ago, Myles said:

The expectation should be that you win half...slightly less than half...or slightly more than half...depending on your advanced metrics. And slightly more than half of 16 games won can you get in the playoffs...but it won't get you a bye or HFA.

• Like 1

Lol. The Colts just contained Patrick M, and Brady is like a frozen statue in comparison. If we face the Patriots, it will be pressure up the middle that will change the pattern that results when we play them. I believe that they would have to bring so much up to stop the run, that Obiwan will have a very good game. We will see, hopefully. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

It would take a miracle.  The pats are a veteran team that has decades of experience in the playstyle we're only just now getting acclimated to.  nearly every facet of the game they beat us straight up on experience, and Belichick is one of the few head coaches I don't trust Reich to be able to outmaneuver.

We have a big advantage in OL.  It's the one area I can definitely say we're better than them.  But the Patriots are like 6 deep in quality pass rushers.  It's gonna be war in the trenches between our OL and their DL, and their secondary is second to none right now.  Scoring points on that team is legit tough no matter how you try to do it. 

And the Patriots have a pretty solid rushing attack too, about a match for ours.  Mack is better than Michel, but James White is basically the player Hines hopes to become someday and I'll give Burkhead a large edge over Wilkins, so their depth blows the doors off ours.  And we're not nearly as good at containing the run so far than they are.

As for the passing game I'll be charitable and leave that at "LOL!"

Bottom line, the Patriots completely outclass us.  Never say never, Brady does have the occasional bad day at the office just like anyone else, but the Patriots are a class above even KC IMHO.  That defense is incredible.

Excellent. Even although we are not scheduled to play them (yet), you have us being destroyed.

Sheesh.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

You don't have to evaluate the Patriots based entirely on what they do this year though.  Like I said, this is a veteran team, most of their guys have years of experience in the system, and even last year's rookies now have Superbowl experience.

I mean sure they could play a let-up game against us but I bet the coaches don't let that happen.  And you can count on Brady to go ballisstic on anyone who tried to take next week's opponent lightly.  It's part of what they are and why they can do what they do.

If we want to beat them we're going to have to become them.  The good news is Ballard has laid a good foundation to do exactly that.  The bad news is that we're going to need to wait until we have those years of experience before we can really trade evenly with them.

Utter garbage. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Imgrandojji said:

Ballard and Reich have to be on the short list of GM/coach combos that can actually go toe to toe with the GOAT.

I think so.  That's why it was so disappointing about Luck retiring.  It was shaping to be a sustainable trio in our case, that could threaten to win the Super Bowl year in and year out.  Jacoby's no slouch, but he's also no Luck.  Not the end of the world, but it could end up taking more time.

• Like 3

That’s what I love an hate about this team: It’s extremely balanced. We have no one great aspect, but rather everything is in line with everything else and defenses can’t gameplan for just one aspect. The only downside is that we have no set part of our offense to lean on when necessary, they all need to be functioning to help the others work well. If one thing goes wrong, the whole team crumbles, but as it stands, the offense is dangerous!

I think the WR to watch is Marcus Washington. He was Frank's pick over Dontrelle Inman last year before he got hurt. Both Frank and Ballard liked him, but he was cut in the 53 man roster over Pascal/Chester. With Funchess out, he becomes his successor to Funchess's role. He is a veteran and has size and good hands.  He was dressed to play against the Chiefs. 

9 minutes ago, AustexColt said:

I think the WR to watch is Marcus Washington. He was Frank's pick over Dontrelle Inman last year before he got hurt. Both Frank and Ballard liked him, but he was cut in the 53 man roster over Pascal/Chester. With Funchess out, he becomes his successor to Funchess's role. He is a veteran and has size and good hands.  He was dressed to play against the Chiefs. 

I dont Remember then calling him up from the practice squad. I might of missed it though.

4 hours ago, coltsva said:

Patriots should be 8-0 playing total  garbage teams plus Buffalo and Cleveland and whatever they are.  Then they have a stretch of games vs Ravens, Eagles, Cowboys, Texans, Chiefs. 

I’ll reserve judgment on their invincibility until after those 5 games.

Buff is really good I think, but yeah, the rest has been garbage.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Superman said:

You mean the 5-0 Patriots who haven't given up a passing touchdown since the AFCCG? Yeah, they're no good... 

I acknowledge the humor, and I'm not at all saying their passing D isn't good, but stats without context can lead to false conclusions. Yes, they haven't given up a passing touchdown, but other than the Bills, who didn't have Josh Allen for much of the day, they've only faced teams who have been in the bottom 6 in passing yards per game.

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Hopefully we will with how bad the teams we play are. The Steelers are still competing so that one could be close. We will see if the broncos get their crap together.  We needed to convert a couple of those field goals into TD against the chiefs. We should of won by two TD.  But as bad as the chiefs defense is they have been pretty good in the red zone.

The Steelers are going nowhere. I called it before the season, they're not good at all. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, will426 said:

lmao i used to think we’d beat the pats those times too and what’s our record vs them since manning left? we can always See our team winning vs them but it hasn’t happened that being said we have to beat them in order to actually make this a rivalry again haha 

I'm not saying it is a rivalry, or even that I know we can compete with them, I'm just saying I always give us a chance against everybody. We sometimes competed with them (the painful Pagano 4th and 2 game comes to mind), and this team is way different and way better than all the past years. 

I use the past for reference, but I'm not one of those people who doesn't believe in anything until it actually happens

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, BigQungus said:

I acknowledge the humor, and I'm not at all saying their passing D isn't good, but stats without context can lead to false conclusions. Yes, they haven't given up a passing touchdown, but other than the Bills, who didn't have Josh Allen for much of the day, they've only faced teams who have been in the bottom 6 in passing yards per game.

I was being facetious, glad you recognized that. It's been kind of serious around here lately...

But remember, this streak by the Pats defense started last year in the SB, against the Rams. Pretty good passing team... And that defense was good most of last season. I think it's easily the strength of their team. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Also saying the patriots would expose our QB is kind of silly. Any given Sunday. The colts just made a elite QB look bad.

Mahommes ain't the Hoody.  We're talking offense versus defense.  But, I will agree with you on this, any given Sunday indeed.

34 minutes ago, BigQungus said:

The Steelers are going nowhere. I called it before the season, they're not good at all. 

I'm not writing  off the Steelers  or the Broncos.  The broncos stomped the chargers without chubb. We haven't  beat the steelers since the manning era. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I'm not writing  off the Steelers  or the Broncos.  The broncos stomped the chargers without chubb. We haven't  beat the steelers since the manning era. 

These Steelers are very different now. None of the BBBs are currently playing for them. And I don't remember any recent game against the Steelers... I believe we faced them in 2016 but that was when Luck was out with a concussion

2 minutes ago, BigQungus said:

These Steelers are very different now. None of the BBBs are currently playing for them. And I don't remember any recent game against the Steelers... I believe we faced them in 2016 but that was when Luck was out with a concussion

They still have enough  talent to win games

31 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

Mahommes ain't the Hoody.  We're talking offense versus defense.  But, I will agree with you on this, any given Sunday indeed.

True. I will say this though Reich is getting a reputation of being one of the best play callers  in the league. My main point is even elite QB can be made to look bad. That isn’t just a exclusive club for not elite QB.

36 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

True. I will say this though Reich is getting a reputation of being one of the best play callers  in the league. My main point is even elite QB can be made to look bad. That isn’t just a exclusive club for not elite QB.

While I think Reich is calling this offense just as he needs to in order to take advantage of Brissett, I haven't seen anything that makes him stand out.   I'd put him around 8-10 in play callers right now.  

1 minute ago, Myles said:

While I think Reich is calling this offense just as he needs to in order to take advantage of Brissett, I haven't seen anything that makes him stand out.   I'd put him around 8-10 in play callers right now.  

I think there have been a couple of times we have seen it. The one against the falcons using pascal who hadn’t even had a target I thought was pretty good. It also takes a great mind to put all your players in a position to succeed. 

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think there have been a couple of times we have seen it. The one against the falcons using pascal who hadn’t even had a target I thought was pretty good. It also takes a great mind to put all your players in a position to succeed. 

But nearly every coach does that each and every game.