Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do we wreck teams?

Imgrandojji

Week 2, Chargers come out incredibly flat, lose to the Lions

Week 3, Titans come out even flatter, get Minchewerd.

Each team we've played so far has looked battered and broken against soft competition in the following game.  This despite the fact that the Chargers were supposed to be competitive and the Titans looked like they were off to a solid week 1 before we came in there like a horseshoe hurricane.

Does that say something about us or them or both?

The grinding, smashmouth style we play is targeted at wearing teams down and create openings for our offense.  To take the starch out of their linemen, exhaust their quarterback and make him play while looking over his shoulder for Autry in particular and the pass rush in general.    Is there a lingering effect? 

Do we sabotage a team's confidence, wear them out and weaken their resolve, make them run scared and sabotage them in the weeks after they play us?

Do we wreck teams?

Too early to tell. Plus the chargers really let that game against the lions slip away. Two missed kicks (oof) and a red zone picked doomed em. 

But it I do love this nasty style of play our team plays with on both sides of the field. Now if we can get some downfield passing on offence and some more turnovers on defense, this team will be elite.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

Either that or the two teams we beat aren’t as good as some people think.

Of course, the Titans did thump the Browns. Maybe it’s just a parity thing.

As far as the AFC goes, I think it’s the Pats, Chiefs....and then everybody else.

Oh I don't think we're going to unseat the reigning champs or their main conference rival this year.

It's just satisfying to fantasize that the Chargers and Titans coming out very soft in the following games mean we're leaving a path of destruction in our wake.  That it means we're tough, mentally strong, physical, and capable of tearing apart mentally soft teams so badly that they struggle to recover.

Especially because that's the kind of team Reich has repeatedly told us he WANTS the Colts to be.  So there's intent there.

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

It's 2 games into a season where very few starters played league wide.    

I know I'm jumping the gun quite a bit at this point, but I kinda wanted to explore the topic from the early returns and maybe go back to this thread later and see if the trend holds up.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

Each team we've played so far has looked battered and broken against soft competition in the following game.  This despite the fact that the Chargers were supposed to be competitive and the Titans looked like they were off to a solid week 1 before we came in there like a horseshoe hurricane.

The grinding, smashmouth style we play is targeted at wearing teams down and create openings for our offense.  To take the starch out of their linemen, exhaust their quarterback and make him play while looking over his shoulder for Autry in particular and the pass rush in general.    Is there a lingering effect? 

Do we sabotage a team's confidence, wear them out and weaken their resolve, make them run scared and sabotage them in the weeks after they play us?

Do we wreck teams?

I don’t think the Colts are used as a benchmark against opposing teams yet. If, the Colts are still a effective run heavy offense with say a 6-2 record, and the pass rush is still averaging 4 sacks a game, I could see what you’re saying. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MPStack said:

I don’t think the Colts are used as a benchmark against opposing teams yet.

Is that really required?  Right now I'm mostly just collecting this as evidence that Frank Reich's Colts are tough to play against.  Which is good news for me because that was Reich's main goal this year and so far it's working.

If Brissett rounds into form and gets us into playoff competition, all the better, but for right now, I'll settle for being tough to kill.

5 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

He is really just not an accurate passer is his biggest problem

But the OL is a DISASTER

9 Sacks????

Sheeze

Especially when you clog those passing lanes with Zone Defense and force him to throw in small windows. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I dont think the kid is going to make it

They need to improve the OL and get another QB

The kid is already headed the same way Andrew Luck went.  He's done well to last as long as he did but with that % of his snaps end up with him on his butt, the Titans have bigger problems than Mariota.

4 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I dont think the kid is going to make it

They need to improve the OL and get another QB

I'm not a Mariota fan, but I'd like to see how he could perform with a good OL. He's really never had one. Now that they have AJB, he actually has a decent 1-2 punch at WR. 

1 hour ago, HOZER said:

Maybe we expose teams weakness?

That's a distinct possibility.   hadn't thought of that, but if so, it does speak to both the brilliance of Reich and our players' ability to execute a game plan.

So far, these Colts look physically and mentally tough.  I'll take that as a foundation to build on for the future, whether or not Brissett is the guy who ultimately takes the starting QB job longterm

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

Do we wreck teams?

There was once a great article regarding how teams that played Seattle back in 2013, how they had a terrible record in games that followed playing the Seahawks.

Early in our last QB's career (2013) we played SF when they were supposed to be very good, on the road. And we won like 27-7.
 Another confirmation of our last QB's awesomeness.
  They had played Seattle the previous week. And had been pounded.
 They came out of that game having lost one of the best NT's, Ian Smith, Michael Crabtree, and Vernon Davis. And Justin Smith played with a shoulder harness(one arm basically. They had other issues that i don't recall. Their currently jobless QB couldn't complete a 8yd out with our db's playing 10 yards off.
 And the Colts Blue thought Linkenback was the next coming after that game. chuckle.

• Like 2

we're not quite the Legion of Boom, but playing a highly physical team will put a lot of wear and tear on a team that is soft or finesse driven.

This is actually one of the biggest reasons the Giants beat the Patriots in 07 and 11.  As talent goes it was a mismatch in the favor of the patriots but the Giants D was VERY VERY physical and it broke them each time.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

Do we wreck teams?

Honestly, it’s two weeks. We still have no idea how good/bad the Colts, Chargers, Titans, Lions, or Jags are. We may have seriously demoralized the Titans, but if you watch the Lions-Chargers game you’ll see that the Lions should not have won that game; the Chargers gave it to them with dumb mistakes, like how they almost gave us our game.

I don’t think we wreck teams, but we still rule in Nashville for sure.