Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Future with JB as QB

MikeCurtis

5 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

you dont think we should talk about our future QB?  we have a whole section dedicated to the draft and there is lot of talk about QBs in there right now.  Jacoby is the QB for now, but its not too soon to talk about the future 

That's way premature man.

People can talk about whatever they wish, but I'm not thinking about who's after JB in September.

The draft is literally 8 months away.

That's like talking about what your first meal of the spring will be. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

It kind of is though.  We have no idea how JB7 is gonna develop over the next year plus.  We've seen glimpses of his potential if he can put it all together.  I think he's pretty close to working it out.  If that happens then he becomes our future at QB.

Besides as soft as our schedule is it would be tough to get a favorable draft pick at this point.

i am not talking about tanking either to be clear.  i do hope they win with JB, this makes the franchise  look better and is more entertaining  to watch

teams like the texans and cheifs made a trade to get their QB recently, and they had some luck on their side too.  i did think watson would be good, but i did not see mahomes coming like that

Yeah but neither team walked away from their previous starters, Osweiler and Smith, until they were absolutely sure they had their successor in hand and he was ready.

Replacing Brissett is going to happen, at best, 2-3 years from now.  It's fair to say, let's see where Brissett is after this year, and see if we even need to be thinking about picking up a premium QB.

26 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

No, Brissett didn't carry the game, but he played his role in a TEAM win.  I honestly think that's more important, at least for right now.

It was also important in 2006 when the Colt's went 4-0 in the post season on the legs of Addai and Rhodes, while Manning "managed" the games.

Manning ave 258 yds per playoff game , 3 TDs / 7 INTs  Passer rating of 70.5.

Addai/Rhodes combined for over 600 rushing yards in that post season.

That is the most post-season rushing yards from the running back position by any team since the Elway Broncos won the SB in the 1990's.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

I remember being at the very bottom of the league in running the ball for years. How many championships were won racking up passing yards?

Very astute point. 

Fans have stars in their eyes. That want a "heralded" QB. 

Moon is probably my favorite non-Colt QB of all time. Absolutely amazing. You are correct, this is a team sport. 

I am still waiting to see a score board that list yards..rather than points. :thmup:

You know, I have listened for many, many years to a great number of Colt fans beg....BEG....for a solid running game to go with our passing. We now have stellar rushing numbers (and have proven it on the road no less), and fans whine about low passing yards. 

My determination? Fans are whiners. 

lol ok good luck winning a super bowl when we throw for 200 yards and 2 TDs when TB and Mahomes are throwing for 400 and 5 TDs I'm not sure when 21 or 24 points became more than 35 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I have to agree with you just seems like one of those that tops out as a very good backup and that's about it  

Because of the lack of QB's in the league I think there is a good chance JB starts most games.  But it might be sort of a Ryan Fitzpatrick situation.  He's brought in to provide competent quarterbacking so that a team can be competitive or so they can get a rookie ready but he only stays on any team for 1 or 2 years at most before he moves on to the next team.  

Anyways thus far that's what I see out of him.  He's not going to cost you games but he isn't going to go out there, put the team on his back and win the game for you.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, aaron11 said:

that was a different era, especially for brady.  300 yards wasnt as common back then

thats a good point about wilson, if we gave JB a hof running back and the best defense in the league by far id believe he could win a super bowl then.

Well at least Wilson did it in college routinely. 

JB only threw for 300 yards ONCE in college. Wilson did it 14 times. 

I honestly just don't think he has the arm talent to do it. Comparing college to NFL is apples to oranges mostly, but if he couldn't do it in college what makes us think he has it in him to do it at this level?

9 minutes ago, egg said:

It was also important in 2006 when the Colt's went 4-0 in the post season on the legs of Addai and Rhodes, while Manning "managed" the games.

Addai/Rhodes combined for over 600 rushing yards in the post season.

That is the most post-season rushing yards from the running back position by any team since the Elway Broncos won the SB.

Manning hardly ever  had great playoff games. The running game was huge in our SB run. Manning was not typical manning during that run.

1 minute ago, Valpo2004 said:

Because of the lack of QB's in the league I think there is a good chance JB starts most games.  But it might be sort of a Ryan Fitzpatrick situation.  He's brought in to provide competent quarterbacking so that a team can be competitive or so they can get a rookie ready but he only stays on any team for 1 or 2 years at most before he moves on to the next team.  

Anyways thus far that's what I see out of him.  He's not going to cost you games but he isn't going to go out there, put the team on his back and win the game for you.  

exactly and that type of QB isnt getting you passed TB Mahomes Brees to win a SB

1 minute ago, Lennon1940 said:

Well at least Wilson did it in college routinely. 

JB only threw for 300 yards ONCE in college. Wilson did it 14 times. 

I honestly just don't think he has the arm talent to do it. Comparing college to NFL is apples to oranges mostly, but if he couldn't do it in college what makes us think he has it in him to do it at this level?

This is a dumb argument. Sometimes a QB game is more suited to the pros then college. You also have to look at system he was in.

Its way to early to make any conclusions on how good or bad he might be.

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

This is a dumb argument. Sometimes a QB game is more suited to the pros then college. You also have to look at system he was in.

I didn't say it was dispositive of anything, just saying I don't think he has that sort of arm talent to get 300 yards in the air. 

I think we have seen enough of Brissett to know who he is as a QB.  He holds the ball too long, checks down, and just doesn't put up many points.    It is just who he is.  Guys like Luck or even Kelly are a bit more gunslingers.  So I think our outlook with Brissett is very limited.  I think we can get to the playoffs but I don't see us ever winning the AFC title or Super Bowl with him.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Manning hardly ever  had great playoff games. The running game was huge in our SB run. Manning was not typical manning during that run.

And defense.  But you cannot underestimate that teams were always terrified of getting blown up by Manning.  You had to honor every throw.  Downfield, intermediate, short.  Everything.  Even when he was doing poorly, his presence opens up the o.

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

I certainly agree, it is to early, but not to early to speculate. 

The forum is divided on Brissett, and each side is entitled to their own opinions. At the end of the day, there’s no reason for us fans to beat up one another over how good or bad we think JB performs. We’ll know that answer sooner rather than later. 

The Colts are 1-1, should be 2-0 and we have a competitive team. Enjoy the season.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ClaytonColt said:

The list of quarterbacks that Brissett has beaten after 3+ years in the NFL stands at...

Brock Osweiler 

DeShone Kizer

Brian Hoyer

Tom Savage

T.J Yates

Marcus Mariota

I'm gonna hold off on the superbowl talk until he beats a couple more guys who I would actually recognize if they walked past me in the street.

Next up  Matt Ryan.

1 hour ago, MPStack said:

The forum is divided on Brissett, and each side is entitled to their own opinions. At the end of the day, there’s no reason for us fans to beat up one another over how good or bad we think JB performs. We’ll know that answer sooner rather than later. 

The Colts are 1-1, should be 2-0 and we have a competitive team. Enjoy the season.  

I don’t think the forum is really split. One side is just giving him the time and see what happens. No one has said he is going to be the next guy. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MPStack said:

The forum is divided on Brissett, and each side is entitled to their own opinions. At the end of the day, there’s no reason for us fans to beat up one another over how good or bad we think JB performs. We’ll know that answer sooner rather than later. 

Completely agree, but good respectful reasoned debate is fun, good for the brain, and often instructive for non extremists.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

I don’t think the forum is really split. One side is just giving him the time and see what happens. No one has said he is going to be the next guy. 

No one but meeeeeeee :D:D :D

I'm almost definitely crazy, but I look at what the kid's done so far this year and I see early-era Tom Brady.  If there's any chance of that, I want all of it thanks!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I mentioned this before, but this reminds me very strongly of something Coach Belichick does when Tom Brady has a less than perfect game.  He will take a guy who's probably literally the best QB in the world, and dress him down in practice.  Sometimes even in public.  Coaching him to work on some hitch in his game where the rest of the players can see it.

So far Jacoby has accepted the criticism in exactly the same way Brady does.  Calmly and humbly, knowing it's not personal and committing to work hard to be the best player he can.

Believe me, this was not code word for "we need a better QB."  Not saying you actually think that but some here seem to.  What Reich is doing is holding the team's leaders accountable in a way that lets everyone else know they're accountable too.  That includes the quarterback.

If he's got the character I think he has, Brissett will work hard on the flaws the last game exposed.  And if he's half as smart as I think he is those flaws will never again be so pronounced.

3 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

This is such a excellent point. I don’t think anyone is saying we don’t need more passing yards because we do. The fact he has 5 TD is crazy for that few yards.

It's not that crazy...TDs become somewhat circumstantial when you get close to the end zone. The Campbell toss was real nice (more of that please)...but three of those TDs came from 3-4 yards (one was a shuffle pass). The longest TD was 19 yards...when TY (with a big assist from LAC) turned a 5 yard dump off into a 19-yard TD.

TDs are the name of the game...but there is definitely context. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, shastamasta said:

It's not that crazy...TDs become somewhat circumstantial when you get close to the end zone. The Campbell toss was real nice (more of that please)...but three of those TDs came from 3-4 yards (one was a shuffle pass). The longest TD was 19 yards...when TY (with a big assist from LAC) turned a 5 yard dump off into a 19-yard TD.

Throwing tds in the redzone is one of the toughest things to do.    You aren't giving that shuffle pass the deserve it respects.   If he throws it too soon or too late it gets blown up

14 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

You are aware that "in the red zone" means that the line of scrimmage is never out past the 20

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Throwing tds in the redzone is one of the toughest things to do.    You aren't giving that shuffle pass the deserve it respects.   If he throws it too soon or too late it gets blown up

The shuffle pass is legit...I am just saying there is context to TD totals. I am happy that JB can throw to a 1st read from the 4 yard line...but there is more to the QB position than that...even Reich just literally said he wants more out of the QB position.

3 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

The shuffle pass is legit...I am just saying there is context to TD totals. I am happy that JB can throw to a 1st read from the 4 yard line...but there is more to the QB position than that...even Reich just literally said he wants more out of the QB position.

Ok.  I'm sure he does.   I'm sure he did at this point last season as well.   They figured it out.   I'm sure they will again

21 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Of course they do. Reich just said what some here are saying...so where is the outrage and snarky comments?

They come from people reading more into that quote by Reich than is actually there.

Of course they need a bit more from the air.  And they'll probably get it when Brissett is no longer facing high end secondaries.  But how much do they need?  Certainly not 300 yards a game, they do too much else well for that to be a minimum requirement for success.

We do need more yards than we got the first 2 games.  BUT fans need to lower their expectations too.  200 yard games are probably going to get the job done most of the time with all else this team has going on.  And JB7 is only a small step from being able to reach that level consistently.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

You are aware that "in the red zone" means that the line of scrimmage is never out past the 20

Of course...but who is talking about the RZ? I am talkin about near the end zone...aka a few yards and goal...TDs become very circumstantial at that point. 

7 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Of course...but who is talking about the RZ? I am talkin about near the end zone...aka a few yards and goal...TDs become very circumstantial at that point. 

No they don't.   Any one will tell you the closer you are to the endzone makes it harder to throw a td.  That's common knowledge

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Dude a shuffle pass is like a pitch toss.  You are pitch when the guy gets to the hole.  You and can do that.