Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Week 1 impressions: Brissett

Imgrandojji

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

You missed the point. JB has played one game. The playbook is going to open up. Go look at lucks numbers in the cowboys game.i believe the resskins game also.

i know but JB has never been one to go over 300 or 400 yards consistently.  Luck had his share of bad games but he also had many games where he filled up the stat sheet

6 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

You missed the point. JB has played one game. The playbook is going to open up. Go look at lucks numbers in the cowboys game.i believe the resskins game also.

I agree, I was also pleased with JB, but we just don't have enough information yet.  If we can only get 180 -250 yards a game then it will be a problem, especially since we can't bank on Mack going crazy every game.  Soon teams will plan to stop the run and will make JB beat them.  Can he? One thing is for certain, we will know soon enough.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i know but JB has never been one to go over 300 or 400 yards consistently.  Luck had his share of bad games but he also had many games where he filled up the stat sheet

He has not really had the opportunity yet. You can’t look at 2017. With the LA pass rush the game plan was perfect.

• Like 1

I'm not worried in the least bit whether or not Jacoby can be a 300 to 350 yard passer. I saw him do it against Houston in 2017 behind a line that didn't block.  Like I said if you block for this guy(which clearly we do) he is very capable of putting up really solid numbers. Frank is going to open this thing up and you'll see for yourselves.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, krunk said:

I'm not worried in the least bit whether or not Jacoby can be a 300 to 350 yard passer. I saw him do it against Houston in 2017 behind a line that didn't block.  Like I said if you block for this guy(which clearly we do) he is very capable of putting up really solid numbers. Frank is going to open this thing up and you'll see for yourselves.

Probably like everyone here i was wondering why Mack kept running into his blockers when a bounce either way looked juicy. Perhaps he was just super pumped and just needed to reset to patience mode.

Offensively, we sure looked like a very poised, well prepared unit.
A limited number of ineffective plays, and nice plays following them to get us back in position.
We all like chunk plays, but first i do want to see us developing those high percentage plays that will get us those 3rd downs that move the chains.
 That is what has made Brady The Man.
Sunday bodes well for us.

• Like 2

I think this is what happens when average players have the likeability factor. They get the benefit of the doubt when they're not actually doing anything special.

I wonder whether the people who are praising Brissett this week will be quite so forgiving if he keeps having safe and steady sub-200 yard games but we keep losing?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

I think this is what happens when average players have the likeability factor. They get the benefit of the doubt when they're not actually doing anything special.

I wonder whether the people who are praising Brissett this week will be quite so forgiving if he keeps having safe and steady sub-200 yard games but we keep losing?

it's like I posted in another topic if Brady had retired and JB replaced him this year everyone would be screaming that they would be terrible. but since he plays here and out top 5 QB retired everyone looks at it through their blue glasses. that's why you get the outlandish claims he will throw for 35 TDs and 3500 to 4000 yards.

8 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

How about we cross that bridge if we get there. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

it's like I posted in another topic if Brady had retired and JB replaced him this year everyone would be screaming that they would be terrible. but since he plays here and out top 5 QB retired everyone looks at it through their blue glasses. that's why you get the outlandish claims he will throw for 35 TDs and 3500 to 4000 yards.

Pretty sure if Brady retired and JB took his place we all all be saying the patriots are still going to be very good.

The colts have been grooming JB in the case of luck going down. Why would we start someone who didn’t know the system and hadn’t been here to even play with the offense. Some of you are just ridiculous. Your so hung up on a generational QB that might not even be out there. Your like spoiled brats. 

6 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Pretty sure if Brady retired and JB took his place we all all be saying the patriots are still going to be very good.

The colts have been grooming JB in the case of luck going down. Why would we start someone who didn’t know the system and hadn’t been here to even play with the offense. Some of you are just ridiculous. Your so hung up on a generational QB that might not even be out there. Your like spoiled brats. 

I'm sure 90% would say they would struggle and be no where near as good with him as with brady yet for us JB can step in and be the next Andrew Luck. got people on here claiming they would take JB in situations over Luck it's down right ridiculous. I like JB but good god the crap plastered on here sometimes makes my head hurt.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

I don’t think Brissett has to be elite, just like, I don’t think the Chargers game will define JB moving forward. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, krunk said:

I hope you are right.  My thoughts that are only based off of what I've seen from him is that he'll be a decent QB as long as the team around him is good.  A good game manager (which is a compliment) who can make the throws when needed but will not take over games on his own.  I think he'll be a top 11-20 QB in the league.  

5 minutes ago, MPStack said:

I don’t think Brissett has to be elite, just like, I don’t think the Chargers game will define JB moving forward. 

I don't think he had to be either. I just think there's an element to giddiness creeping into the forum just because Brissett didn't suck or lose us the game.

I think we just need to take our time a little more and wait until he actually does something majorly praiseworthy first. Otherwise the things hes getting praised for now will likely be the exact same thing hes criticised for in 8 weeks.

11 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

I don't think he had to be either. I just think there's an element to giddiness creeping into the forum just because Brissett didn't suck or lose us the game.

I think we just need to take our time a little more and wait until he actually does something majorly praiseworthy first. Otherwise the things hes getting praised for now will likely be the exact same thing hes criticised for in 8 weeks.

How many games is it going to take you to give him credit?  I think you and I were talking about Dak Prescott and he has built a career off the type of games you're criticizing Jacoby for.  It was clear that was their approach to San Diego.  I'm pretty certain Frank won't play things that way for long because Frank isn't a conservative coach like that.  He can be at different moments but he eventually opens things up .

Whether or not the Colts win games isn't on the QB anymore. Expecting JB to be Andrew Luck is not reasonable. So that means we need to win games as a team now. JB just has to do his part, which he did on Sunday.

Whether or not we win games is now on the defense, the offensive line and special teams. We need to be really good in those aspects. If we can do that, we are gonna win games. And I will be perfectly happy if most weeks we get the kind of performance we got out of Brissett in week one. There will be games he needs to do more, no doubt. But let's give him a chance to do that when the time comes.

He completed nearly 80% of his passes, took care of the football, made critical plays when he needed to and had a QB rating over 120, I believe. What else you want from the guy? We would have won this game easily if the defense could've just stopped the running game. Our special teams were atrocious. 

Jacoby gave us a chance and played plenty good enough to beat a playoff team in their home opener. I'll take it.

Special teams: We missed 2 FGs and an extra point. We had a blocked punt as well, and our coverage units gave up big returns. 

That's a much bigger concern for me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, krunk said:

How many games is it going to take you to give him credit?  I think you and I were talking about Dak Prescott and he has built a career off the type of games you're criticizing Jacoby for.

I'll give him credit now. I loved his accuracy, efficiency and poise.

I thought he was a little bit safe and didn't stretch the field though. Long term you can't win with a sub 200 yard passer. I'm not saying hes incapable though, just saying wait until he shows it before we're crowning him.

When/if he gets towards the Prescott level of performance consistently I'll be delighted. I'll even be happy if he falls ever so slightly below that.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

What else you want from the guy?

I want him to throw the ball downfield and take advantage of some one on ones. Not complaining about JB, he played fine and we should have won, but I do think he could have done more on Sunday. I'm sure he'll open it up a little more moving forward.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

I'll give him credit now. I loved his accuracy, efficiency and poise.

I thought he was a little bit safe and didn't stretch the field though. Long term you can't win with a sub 200 yard passer. I'm not saying hes incapable though, just saying wait until he shows it before we're crowning him.

When/if he gets towards the Prescott level of performance consistently I'll be delighted. I'll even be happy if he falls ever so slightly below that.

There is more to see I will concur with that. 

10 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

We had nearly 2 decades with an elite QB on our roster, and we'll have to adjust to having an average to above-average QB. 

they could look at QBs in the draft too.  wouldn't pass on a great QB just because we have Brissett

I like what the cheifs did, they had a decent QB and still traded up for a play maker.  that made them one of the best teams in the league now.  there may not be a Mahmoes or Luck in the draft, but i dont think its crazy to say there could be an upgrade there

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

I like what the cheifs did, they had a decent QB and still traded up for a play maker.  that made them one of the best teams in the league now.  there may not be a Mahmoes or Luck in the draft, but i dont think its crazy to say there could be an upgrade there

The chiefs got lucky with Mahomes. Think about who was picked ahead of him. If there was a redraft he would of been the first QB taken.  Chicago would gladly have him over Mitch. I don’t think anyone could of predicted Mahomes to be as good as he is.  Let’s see what we have him JB before cutting his head off.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

The chiefs got lucky with Mahomes. Think about who was picked ahead of him. If there was a redraft he would of been the first QB taken.  Chicago would gladly have him over Mitch. I don’t think anyone could of predicted Mahomes to be as good as he is.  Let’s see what we have him JB before cutting his head off.

i bet the chiefs would have taken Mahomes if they were picking number 1,  they know QBs better than the bears.  i do hope the Colts are looking for a play maker, if thats JB then great, if not move on

no reason to be attached to this backup that got the job by default 

35 minutes ago, Superman said:

I want him to throw the ball downfield and take advantage of some one on ones. Not complaining about JB, he played fine and we should have won, but I do think he could have done more on Sunday. I'm sure he'll open it up a little more moving forward.

Sure, most of us like seeing those kind of balls.  I believe it though when he says he was doing his job.  He wanted to throw deep but took the short pass.  Sounded like he was just following orders.  We all know he is capable of a deep ball.  It's just up to Reich to open it up.  He moved the ball down the field for our last score.  Not all QBs are capable of that with the game on the line.

20 hours ago, Stephen said:

So you'd bench a guy that completed  77 percent of his passes and executed the game plan the way the coach wanted. Brissett  can put up big numbers if the right plays are called Even Lamar Jackson who alot of people  said can't  throw put up big numbers. Got to take the deep shots.

You may be completely right.  I was more saying we all have our own opinions.  It's not factual.   In my opinion, I don't think Brissett will ever be a QB that puts up big numbers consistently and the Colts can win a Super Bowl with.  He reminds me of David Garrard the year he had his best season with Jacksonville.  Very efficient but not good enough to win the big playoff games.  I hope I am wrong.  But we have seen Brissett start 16 games now and he has never lit it up.  But I appreciate we all have different opinions.  I would like to see Kelly play some this year to see if his ceiling is higher.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, lennymoore24 said:

You may be completely right.  I was more saying we all have our own opinions.  It's not factual.   In my opinion, I don't think Brissett will ever be a QB that puts up big numbers consistently and the Colts can win a Super Bowl with.  He reminds me of David Garrard the year he had his best season with Jacksonville.  Very efficient but not good enough to win the big playoff games.  I hope I am wrong.  But we have seen Brissett start 16 games now and he has never lit it up.  But I appreciate we all have different opinions.  I would like to see Kelly play some this year to see if his ceiling is higher.

people keep saying to give Jacoby a chance.  he has had several chances by now and hes looked about the same in all of them.  he even had a few games with the patriots that were pretty similar too.  

we have also seen him in training camp, preseason and his whole college career.  when is this guy going to produce?

7 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

people keep saying to give Jacoby a chance.  he has had several chances by now and hes looked about the same in all of them.  he even had a few games with the patriots that were pretty similar too.  

we have also seen him in training camp, preseason and his whole college career.  when is this guy going to produce?

nonsense Post.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I do too and I believe he will......but he played well enough to win that game is all I'm saying. 

I said pretty much what you said earlier in this thread. I think they were trying not to give him too much, too soon. But he is definitely capable of more, I agree with you there.

EDIT: What I dont want is Jacoby thinking he has to win the game for us. That's just not who he is, right now, and is a recipe for disaster. He needs to ease his way into this. I think expecting him to come out the gate throwing 40 times and trying to get 300+ is setting him for failure.

We need to develop an identity as a team that runs the ball well, and plays good defense with solid special teams play. Allow teams to prepare for us with that in mind. Then you turn him loose. He is capable, I think he has shown that in his time here.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, aaron11 said:

some of you have already anointed him and are not even open to moving on 

We should be interested in moving on after Jacoby just carried us back into the football game?

We lost because we lost the OT coin toss, after Jacoby and Mack put the whole franchise on their backs and gave us a 50-50 chance to win on the road against a consensus Superbowl contender.   

That 4th quarter comeback was one for the ages.  What he did in that game was something GREAT quarterbacks do.  This was Andrew Luck finding the weaknesses.  This was Tom Brady with icewater in his veins.  This was Peyton leading his men on the field.   Why are we talking about moving on right now again?

Sure there was a bit of shades of 2017 with Jacoby and the offense giving us a shot and the team not capitalizing on it, but that's not a reason to give up on Brissett, it's reason to hope the rest of the team picks up the slack a bit better next time

49 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

its not really, when has he ever produced?  

Who asks someone that's virtually a rookie "When is he going to produce?". Especially at the QB position where it's normal for things to take a year or 2.

Everybody knows he was behind Brady and Garoppolo in New England and

barely got to play.  We all know what the Circumstances were in 2017 and that

was unfair to ask of many vet QB. 

Remember a couple years ago when we asked Kerry Collins(a vet) to do what Jacoby did in 2017?  That project didn't even last the whole season before they yanked him for Curtis Painter.  What Jacoby stepped into that season was totally unfair but he made the best of it. In 2019 You damn sure know he wasn't going to play over Andrew Luck so when exactly has been his time to produce?

• Like 1

Just now, krunk said:

Who asks someone that's virtually a rookie "When is he going to produce?".

Everybody knows he was behind Brady and Garoppolo in New England and

barely got to play.  We all know what the Circumstances were in 2017 and that

was unfair to ask of many vet QB.  You damn sure know he wasn't going to play

over Andrew Luck so when exactly has been his time to produce?

hes averaged about 190 yards his whole career including Sunday.   i dont think he was bad either but i also dont think its good enough 

2 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

hes averaged about 190 yards his whole career including Sunday.   i dont think he was bad either but i also dont think its good enough 

He didn't get as many touches because Mack was balling.  That's not going to happen every game and Jacoby is going to man up at times, but he pulled his weight tonight. 

People are sweating the numbers when the numbers tell only part of the story.  Jacoby played some dang good situational football last Sunday.  Leading the team back into the game after the soft start is pretty respectable in its own right, and people need to recognize that.

NOT every "pretty good" quarterback gets us into OT in that game.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

The game plan didnt call for him to do anything high flying.  You heard Reich, he said the plan was to dink and dunk, control the TOP and run the football.  I mean do you really want Brissett or really a large number of these young QB in a shoot out with Phillip Rivers?  They way they schemed it up was game specific.

• Like 1

Reich said they need to add a few more explosive plays to keep up. It’s coming. What I am going to be watching for is how JB handles a loud NFL Stadium. LA was timid and half were colts fans. TN can be loud. We need to come out and quiet the crowd right away. The titans defense is better then the chargers I think. Not sure they have the pass rush the chargers have.

7 minutes ago, krunk said:

The game plan didnt call for him to do anything high flying.  You heard Reich, he said the plan was to dink and dunk, control the TOP and run the football.  I mean do you really want Brissett or really a large number of these young QB in a shoot out with Phillip Rivers?  They way they schemed it up was game specific.

I think the game plan would of been the same even with luck.

We should have won by at least a Td. If JB had the same numbers and won all of you would be praising him.