Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trading Brissett after week 4.

ColtStrong2013

IF Luck proves to be healthy, would Ballard be interested in this to keep Kelly on as QB2? He is out the first 4 games with suspension. It gives other teams 4 weeks to realize their qb situation is a nightmare and start panicking. If Brissett can perform with the first team for a quarter or two on Saturday against the Bears, his stock goes way up, IMO. He played like he should yesterday, specifically on the TD drive. His value is climbing... 

12 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

IF Luck proves to be healthy, would Ballard be interested in this to keep Kelly on as QB2? He is out the first 4 games with suspension. It gives other teams 4 weeks to realize their qb situation is a nightmare and start panicking. If Brissett can perform with the first team for a quarter or two on Saturday against the Bears, his stock goes way up, IMO. He played like he should yesterday, specifically on the TD drive. His value is climbing... 

Meh I doubt it

• Like 1

Kelly looks like he has potential to me. However I wouldn't do it. You don't even know if you can trust Kelly yet character wise. You know what you've got with Brissett. You especially don't get rid of him this year with the Calf stuff Luck I's going through.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

Kelly looks like he has potential to me. However I wouldn't do it. You don't even know if you can trust Kelly yet character wise. You know what you've got with Brissett. You especially don't get rid of him this year with the Calf stuff Luck I's going through.

Kelly under Reich's wing might be a different animal... You are a product of your culture and I think Ballard probably feels that his locker room culture is set to keep him grounded and mature him. The whole calf thing is why I prefaced by saying IF he proves to be healthy. That might take the first 4 games. They also might feel this roster is good enough after 4 to win a championship with Brissett, so I can absolutely understand the value to keep him this year. But we aren't keeping him after, and will have to address it. If Ballard feels good about Kelly being a longterm solution, I can't imagine him not being proactive and fielding calls. All it takes is the right offer. 

3 minutes ago, strt182 said:

Well what new mistake did Kelly make? Currently he is only suspended 2 games. 

My fault... I was thinking 4. You are correct. 

That changes things a bit. But still poses the question if Luck is full go week 1 and performs well the first couple weeks. 

4 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Kelly under Reich's wing might be a different animal... You are a product of your culture and I think Ballard probably feels that his locker room culture is set to keep him grounded and mature him. The whole calf thing is why I prefaced by saying IF he proves to be healthy. That might take the first 4 games. They also might feel this roster is good enough after 4 to win a championship with Brissett, so I can absolutely understand the value to keep him this year. But we aren't keeping him after, and will have to address it. If Ballard feels good about Kelly being a longterm solution, I can't imagine him not being proactive and fielding calls. All it takes is the right offer. 

I still say no. You don't totally know what you've got in Kelly. Brissett been here 3 years now. There's no rush. Kelly isn't ready to lead this team if Luck goes down. He looks good but it's mostly against back ups. I think you look at moving JB next year.

52 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

No. 

They should hold onto JB and collect the comp pick when he signs elsewhere.  Good insurance and allows Kelly to be in our system for a year.  We already have an extra second for next years draft, JBs comp pick would be for 2021 making it 4yrs in a row with an extra pick. That’s how you build a deep roster. 

Half a dozen things need to develop in combination before Ballard would receive a legit trade offer on JB, much less seriously consider such an offer:

1.  JB continues to improve his level of QB play in the final two preseason games.

2.  Luck sits out the first two or three regular season games to continue healing

3.  JB plays at a high level in those games and consistently displays starting-QB talent.

4.  Luck gets fully healthy and resumes his elite level of play.

5.  Kelly returns from suspension and balls out in practices against the starting D.

6.  A playoff caliber team loses its starting QB for the season, and their backups suck.

JB is worth more to the Colts than a mid-to-late round pick.  A 2nd rounder?  Maybe.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, BlueStallion said:

6.  A playoff caliber team loses their starting QB for the season, and their backups suck.

JB is worth more to the Colts than a mid-to-late round pick.  A 2nd rounder?  Maybe.

www.nj.com/eagles/2019/08/is-eagles-josh-mccown-the-best-backup-quarterback-in-the-nfl-ranking-all-32-including-daniel-jones-jacoby-brissett-more.html%3foutputType=amp

Most backups suck, if we are being honest. Several starters suck. If a team feels JB could be a solution longterm, and several analysts feek that way, this article included, then we could receive serious offers this year. 

I somewhat agree with the idea above of holding onto a comp pick, but what will that be? 4th rounder? We would be happy with that if a good 2nd round pick was dangled in front of us? 

3 minutes ago, BlueStallion said:

Half a dozen things need to develop in combination before Ballard would receive a legit trade offer on JB, much less seriously consider such an offer:

1.  JB continues to improve his level of QB play in the final two preseason games.

2.  Luck sits out the first two or three regular season games to continue healing

3.  JB plays at a high level in those games and consistently displays starting-QB talent.

4.  Luck gets fully healthy and resumes his elite level of play.

5.  Kelly returns from suspension and proves himself in practices against the starting D.

6.  A playoff caliber team loses their starting QB for the season, and their backups suck.

This is the series of events required  but I see one hole. 

I don’t believe the want to trade Brissett because of the value he presents Indy should Luck get hurt again which seems at least possible. 

The plan seems clear to me.  Brissett is here this year. Kelly is the practice squad QB and then gets a real chance to be the back up next year. And they collect a comp pick for Brissett. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

The plan seems clear to me.  Brissett is here this year. Kelly is the practice squad QB and then gets a real chance to be the back up next year. And they collect a comp pick for Brissett. 

Great plan until Kelly is signed off the PS quickly because he's better than a great deal of backup qbs in this league...

Then we are back to square one with no plan in place for a backup we are comfortable with. 

• Like 1

Valid question, but at this point, probably not going to happen

Kelly seems to have all the basics to be a future starter.

He will probably get a stint on the practice squad

After watching him now, there MAY be a QB hungry team that may grab him from PS

I believe its time to move on from Walker

See if we can stash Kelly on PS for this year, and become number 2 QB in 2020

Brissett will probably be gone, one way or another

Waiting for MPStack to swoop in and opine on a Brissett topic in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1

Just bustin chops man..... :)

4 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Valid question, but at this point, probably not going to happen

Kelly seems to have all the basics to be a future starter.

He will probably get a stint on the practice squad

After watching him now, there MAY be a QB hungry team that may grab him from PS

I believe its time to move on from Walker

See if we can stash Kelly on PS for this year, and become number 2 QB in 2020

Brissett will probably be gone, one way or another

Waiting for MPStack to swoop in and opine on a Brissett topic in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1

Just bustin chops man..... :)

No, I’m done with the Brissett arguments. I was 100% correct and will leave it at that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Luck has shown no ability to be or stay healthy. I certainly would not trade Brissett. Colts need an insurance policy for Luck going forward probably for a long time.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

Luck has shown no ability to be or stay healthy. I certainly would not trade Brissett. Colts need an insurance policy for Luck going forward probably for a long time.

So what is your solution after the season when we don't have either JB or Chad Kelly because we weren't proactive? Draft a qb high, in which case, we still won't have a good insurance policy that is comfortable with the offense?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Great plan until Kelly is signed off the PS quickly because he's better than a great deal of backup qbs in this league...

Then we are back to square one with no plan in place for a backup we are comfortable with. 

Understand but think it is more nuanced than that. 

1) Kelly feeling a debt to Indy because of what they did for him

2) How large is the desire around the league for Chad Kelly?  Bet it is not as high as some would think. 

1 hour ago, krunk said:

I think even Kelly know this is probably his last chance if he screws this up he might not get another chance.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jskinnz said:

Understand but think it is more nuanced than that. 

1) Kelly feeling a debt to Indy because of what they did for him

2) How large is the desire around the league for Chad Kelly?  Bet it is not as high as some would think. 

What does his feelings toward Indianapolis have to do with him getting signed off the practice squad to an active roster?...

Chad Kelly was a backup quarterback on an active roster until he got into trouble... After his performance in this preseason, I'd say his desire throughout the league is a lot higher than you are giving credit for. This league has some really really poor qb's throughout. Kelly is an upgrade for many rosters as a backup. And JB is an upgrade for some starting qb's. It's THAT bad throughout the league. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, krunk said:

I still say no. You don't totally know what you've got in Kelly. Brissett been here 3 years now. There's no rush. Kelly isn't ready to lead this team if Luck goes down. He looks good but it's mostly against back ups. I think you look at moving JB next year.

We may not totally know what we have in Kelly but rest assured, I can say that the team does. If Kelly can hold up to the adversity of the mental aspect to his game, he has the talents to be every bit as good as JB has been thought to be. 

1 hour ago, AwesomeAustin said:

They should hold onto JB and collect the comp pick when he signs elsewhere.  Good insurance and allows Kelly to be in our system for a year.  We already have an extra second for next years draft, JBs comp pick would be for 2021 making it 4yrs in a row with an extra pick. That’s how you build a deep roster. 

This comp pick isn’t going to be what we hoped for. I don’t see a team coming in and offering him a 5 yr deal worth 120 million and the keys to the team. He hasn’t shown that elite skill set altogether yet. I think he is just going to be someone’s decent back up for their team, wherever that ends up being. 

I once thought we were going to be in line for a max 3rd round comp by holding him, now if we got a 4, I’d be surprised really. If someone gets absolutely desperate and offers a 2, I’m jumping all over it. 

57 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

This is the series of events required  but I see one hole. 

I don’t believe the want to trade Brissett because of the value he presents Indy should Luck get hurt again which seems at least possible. 

Kelly has shown he has stayed out of trouble so far, has shown he can still play QB and he has tape from Denver days that provides proof he has talent, his issues were maturation. I’d be fine with Kelly as our back up at this stage given we are offered a 2nd round pick for JB unless it was from the Pats, that would require their 1st rd pick and to be able to kick BB in the jewels lol. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Brissett will stay here if he is going to be a backup. Why would he leave for another backup job.  Him and Luck have become really close. 

...? Lol. If nothing else, he'll leave for the money Chloe... He will get far more elsewhere than he will here. Teams will bring him on to contend for a starting position, if they don't feel he is the starter at large. He's never going to be the guy here, so he will most certainly go somewhere where he at least has the opportunity.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

So what is your solution after the season when we don't have either JB or Chad Kelly because we weren't proactive? Draft a qb high, in which case, we still won't have a good insurance policy that is comfortable with the offense?

Going to have to give JB a contract since Luck can't stay healthy. Listen I like Luck, but it's more than frustrating and disappointing that he is hurt and not available again after the season ended 8 months ago.

5 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

What does his feelings toward Indianapolis have to do with him getting signed off the practice squad to an active roster?...

Chad Kelly was a backup quarterback on an active roster until he got into trouble... After his performance in this preseason, I'd say his desire throughout the league is a lot higher than you are giving credit for. This league has some really really poor qb's throughout. Kelly is an upgrade for many rosters as a backup. And JB is an upgrade for some starting qb's. It's THAT bad throughout the league. 

Which QB’s would JB legitimately beat out if traded tomorrow? So many teams have young’s, developing QB’s right now that it’s nearly impossible to take a starting job from anyone. In fact, even those with a couple of question marks as a starter, they have a draftee that’s in place to step into the spot so even the shaky teams aren’t really looking. Teams like NY giants or Cincy. It’s not a QB starved league at this very moment as all teams at least have a solid starter or they are in early development. JB only has value to a team who loses a starter to injury and has a legit shot at playoffs. That’s my opinion of it anyhow. 

• Like 1

Just now, Blueblood23 said:

Going to have to give JB a contract since Luck can't stay healthy. Listen I like Luck, but it's more than frustrating and disappointing that he is hurt and not available again after the season ended 8 months ago.

Not realistic in the slightest of terms....

3 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

...? Lol. If nothing else, he'll leave for the money Chloe... He will get far more elsewhere than he will here. Teams will bring him on to contend for a starting position, if they don't feel he is the starter at large. He's never going to be the guy here, so he will most certainly go somewhere where he at least has the opportunity.

I don’t agree. They value him as a backup and would pay him. With lucks injury history he could have a chance here to play once in awhile.

4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Brissett will stay here if he is going to be a backup. Why would he leave for another backup job.  Him and Luck have become really close. 

Because we are structured to pay him 10+ million as a back up QB with Luck here imho.  He will go where he can make money and have a chance of competing as a starter on a team that has a question mark with an aging QB or a young QB who the team thought was the future but struggled. 

17 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

We may not totally know what we have in Kelly but rest assured, I can say that the team does. If Kelly can hold up to the adversity of the mental aspect to his game, he has the talents to be every bit as good as JB has been thought to be. 

This comp pick isn’t going to be what we hoped for. I don’t see a team coming in and offering him a 5 yr deal worth 120 million and the keys to the team. He hasn’t shown that elite skill set altogether yet. I think he is just going to be someone’s decent back up for their team, wherever that ends up being. 

I once thought we were going to be in line for a max 3rd round comp by holding him, now if we got a 4, I’d be surprised really. If someone gets absolutely desperate and offers a 2, I’m jumping all over it. 

Kelly has shown he has stayed out of trouble so far, has shown he can still play QB and he has tape from Denver days that provides proof he has talent, his issues were maturation. I’d be fine with Kelly as our back up at this stage given we are offered a 2nd round pick for JB unless it was from the Pats, that would require their 1st rd pick and to be able to kick BB in the jewels lol. 

He looks like he has talents, but he's playing against 3rd stringers.

I feel safe in my understanding of Ballard to know he's not sold this

early on in the process enough to get rid of Brissett in a trade and go with Kelly as the backup for the rest of the year.  Kelly hasn't even totally sat down Phillip Walker for that matter. I do think Kelly is the better player though.

2 hours ago, krunk said:

We can't  move him next year as he's  a free agent

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I don’t agree. They value him as a backup and would pay him. With lucks injury history he could have a chance here to play once in awhile.

Ballard is not going to pay him $10 plus million a year when he can draft a qb, or sign a guy like Kelly long term to far less money. It's not going to happen. 

I could see a team like the Panthers trying to bring him in as a safety net for Newton. They have no viable backup, and Cam is as injury prone if not worse than Andrew, specifically with his style of play. He would be a good fit there. The Broncos are going to see how Flacco does this year, and will save over $44 million with no dead money over the next two seasons if they cut him. They could easily be looking at a guy like Brissett, who would save a boat load of money and possibly be their answer longterm. There are a number of teams that are keeping their eye on this situation, make no mistake. 

It would make sense for JB to go to a team with a QB that might be retiring soon. Bridges the gap until a young QB is ready. Most of those teams aren’t in the position with a high draft pick. I would crap If he went back to NE.  

We need go draft a QB. That would give us a guy for at least four years to back up Luck and possibly be the starter if he retires.

9 minutes ago, Stephen said:

We can't  move him next year as he's  a free agent

Then let him walk next year and Kelly can contend/compete for the spot then.  Personally I don't think there's as much outside interest in Brissett anyway.  I think his best value for us is in staying as a backup for 2019. I don't think the Colts have gotten big time offers for Jacoby. 

1 minute ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Ballard is not going to pay him $10 plus million a year when he can draft a qb, or sign a guy like Kelly long term to far less money. It's not going to happen. 

I could see a team like the Panthers trying to bring him in as a safety net for Newton. They have no viable backup, and Cam is as injury prone if not worse than Andrew, specifically with his style of play. He would be a good fit there. The Broncos are going to see how Flacco does this year, and will save over $44 million with no dead money over the next two seasons if they cut him. They could easily be looking at a guy like Brissett, who would save a boat load of money and possibly be their answer longterm. There are a number of teams that are keeping their eye on this situation, make no mistake. 

The broncos just drafted Drew Lock.