Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trading Brissett after week 4.

ColtStrong2013

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

The broncos just drafted Drew Lock.

Who grades out as a career backup or stop gap starter. If I were John Elway, I'm looking at trying to develop him for a year, and if Flacco busts (he probably will), I'm cutting him, saving $22 million a year and bringing somebody like Brissett in on a $10-14 million/year contract to have a solid two man competition/depth at qb going forward. 

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

Then let him walk next year and Kelly can contend/compete for the spot then.  Personally I don't think there's as much outside interest in Brissett anyway.  I think his best value for us is in staying as a backup for 2017. I don't think the Colts have gotten big time offers for Jacoby. 

Come join us in 2019 Krunk... Ha

2 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Who grades out as a career backup or stop gap starter. If I were John Elway, I'm looking at trying to develop him for a year, and if Flacco busts (he probably will), I'm cutting him, saving $22 million a year and bringing somebody like Brissett in on a $10-14 million/year contract to have a solid two man competition/depth at qb going forward. 

my bad!!!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Pretty sure the broncos are looking at him as their future QB. 

10 minutes ago, krunk said:

He looks like he has talents, but he's playing against 3rd stringers.

I feel safe in my understanding of Ballard to know he's not sold this

early on in the process enough to get rid of Brissett in a trade and go with Kelly as the backup for the rest of the year.  Kelly hasn't even totally sat down Phillip Walker for that matter. I do think Kelly is the better player though.

I have to wonder if CB is checking on Kelly’s maturation to be able to handle the stress of being sat behind a guy who most feel shouldn’t even be on an nfl roster. Is it truly an evaluation of the team that PW is better than Kelly or is it the team testing his mental ability to just keep clean, patient and calm in the process? We don’t know why Kelly isn’t above PW at this point. What the fans know is PW isn’t making a roster over the potential that a Kelly has provided here and what he showed in Denver as the back up. My belief is that CB is testing his mental side to this adversity to assure he can trust him fully that he has matured. Would give him confidence that if the right trade offer came for JB, Kelly could step into the stress role of being available for a starting role should Luck be injured enough to be forced to sit. 

Who knows 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

I have to wonder if CB is checking on Kelly’s maturation to be able to handle the stress of being sat behind a guy who most feel shouldn’t even be on an nfl roster. Is it truly an evaluation of the team that PW is better than Kelly or is it the team testing his mental ability to just keep clean, patient and calm in the process? We don’t know why Kelly isn’t above PW at this point. What the fans know is PW isn’t making a roster over the potential that a Kelly has provided here and what he showed in Denver as the back up. My belief is that CB is testing his mental side to this adversity to assure he can trust him fully that he has matured. Would give him confidence that if the right trade offer came for JB, Kelly could step into the stress role of being available for a starting role should Luck be injured enough to be forced to sit. 

Who knows 

We are all saying this stuff about how good Kelly looks potentially.  I remember we had this same debate when Pagano was here with that back up QB from Miami who was head and shoulders better than the other guy in the preseason but yet when it was all said and done we always let the kid from Miami go.  Im sorry but I forgot his name!!!!  Point is we don't quite know what they are going to do at that spot yet. Walker seems to somehow stay around when it comes to Ballard though.  I thought Walker should have been gone after year 1 personally.  I thought he did well in 2018 though under Reich.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jdubu said:

Which QB’s would JB legitimately beat out if traded tomorrow? So many teams have young’s, developing QB’s right now that it’s nearly impossible to take a starting job from anyone. In fact, even those with a couple of question marks as a starter, they have a draftee that’s in place to step into the spot so even the shaky teams aren’t really looking. Teams like NY giants or Cincy. It’s not a QB starved league at this very moment as all teams at least have a solid starter or they are in early development. JB only has value to a team who loses a starter to injury and has a legit shot at playoffs. That’s my opinion of it anyhow. 

Agreed. What team today is QB-starved enough to trade for JB, especially this late in the preseason when rosters are pretty much set? I don't see a playoff-caliber team out there which, if they lost their starter, could still be competitive with JB under center. And that includes the Colts. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

What does his feelings toward Indianapolis have to do with him getting signed off the practice squad to an active roster?...

Chad Kelly was a backup quarterback on an active roster until he got into trouble... After his performance in this preseason, I'd say his desire throughout the league is a lot higher than you are giving credit for. This league has some really really poor qb's throughout. Kelly is an upgrade for many rosters as a backup. And JB is an upgrade for some starting qb's. It's THAT bad throughout the league. 

My understanding is that a tram could pay a PS player they like more than just the PS standard rate, essentially making it a decision the player can make to accept a signing by another team an option rather than a requirement. That is too many words. Essentially it is player option to sign elsewhere. I could be wrong on that as well but if not wrong, like I said, it adds more nuance. 

I also think that the league is more measured than a teams message board - shocking I know. I think the league sees a guy that got in trouble repeatedly in college and followed up with more nonsense in the league ain’t all that keen to invest in him. Especially when his tape, while good so far, is against less than ideal competition. 

Brissett stays the entire year as the number 2. 

Walker goes to the PS after cut down day.

Kelly serves his 2 game suspension.

Kelly takes Walker's spot on the PS.

Kelly finishes the year and goes into the offseason as the number 2.

Ballard and company draft a mid to late round QB to be the number 3.

Kelly starts next season as our number 2.

This is all predicated on Kelly staying out of trouble off the field, of course.

• Like 2

I think we have to take into account what Brissett wants for his career.  This is his last year under contract. we keep him this year, then let him go, we would get a compensatory pick.  so if we are going to trade him, it needs to be for more than what ever comp pick we would be receiving.  This is all if he wants to be a starter in the NFL.  If he is content with being the backup in Indy for a few more years then you consider resigning him.

My guess is he wants to be a starter so I say, if you can get a 1 or a 2 for him then you take it.

1 hour ago, Jdubu said:

Who knows 

Excellent thought.  The fact is most of us think Kelly is better and has a brighter future than PW.  Now I'm starting to think Ballard might keep three QB's on the active roster.  Kelly has shown he belongs on a roster and has the talent.  I'm not sure he makes it to the practice squad and if he does it might not be for long.  Luck could have lingering issues with his ankle as well. We know how fast injuries can occur in the NFL.  The trade deadline is probably midseason somewhere and a lot of bad things can happen to a QB along the way.  It might be prudent to keep all three and be ready for anything.  JB is probably gone at the end of the year anyways.  Polian lost his job because he didn't have a strong backup for Peyton.  Keeping three would certainly be an unusual move but Ballard is now faced with unusual circumstances at the QB position.  He took a flyer on Kelly and it appears to be paying off.  I think he will have some important decisions to make coming down the road.  How to handle the QB position is one of them.  

I don’t see what the big rush is to try and trade Brissett. You need a good backup quarterback who can win you games and Brissett is clearly capable of doing that. And let’s not forget the guys character. He’s hilarious and clearly works his tail off to stay as good as he is. You want players in the locker room like him (remember all his pictures w the defense? Always a hoot)

He looked excellent in the preseason game yesterday and if we traded him and kept Kelly after just a few good throws by Kelly against 3rd stringers I’d be beyond upset

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ColtsBlitz said:

I don’t see what the big rush is to try and trade Brissett. You need a good backup quarterback who can win you games and Brissett is clearly capable of doing that. And let’s not forget the guys character. He’s hilarious and clearly works his tail off to stay as good as he is. You want players in the locker room like him (remember all his pictures w the defense? Always a hoot)

He looked excellent in the preseason game yesterday and if we traded him and kept Kelly after just a few good throws by Kelly against 3rd stringers I’d be beyond upset

I don't think there is a rush. But if someone throws a great offer this late in the trading game, and Luck proves to be healthy with the ankle, I don't see why we would pass it up... especially if it were in JB's best interest and he was happy with where he was landing. You have to go back to Ballard's comments on this. #1, it will take a great offer but #2, it has to be in JB's interest. If it isn't, you aren't doing him any favors. I would think it would be a trade and sign for multiple years versus waiting on FA to hit. And it would be a team that very seriously wants him this offseason. I don't think he'll have a huge market, but there is one there, let's not kid ourselves. 

Also, if you are looking at only "a few good throws by Kelly" you are missing the confidence and poise the guy plays with. He steps up and runs the offense well, regardless who is across from him on defense. 

32 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

This is all predicated on Kelly staying out of trouble off the field, of course.

That's a perfect scenario as long as Kelly is not signed off the PS.  I'm of the feeling someone will sign him.  It's a gamble of course.  It will be interesting to see how this one shakes out.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jdubu said:

We may not totally know what we have in Kelly but rest assured, I can say that the team does. If Kelly can hold up to the adversity of the mental aspect to his game, he has the talents to be every bit as good as JB has been thought to be. 

This comp pick isn’t going to be what we hoped for. I don’t see a team coming in and offering him a 5 yr deal worth 120 million and the keys to the team. He hasn’t shown that elite skill set altogether yet. I think he is just going to be someone’s decent back up for their team, wherever that ends up being. 

I once thought we were going to be in line for a max 3rd round comp by holding him, now if we got a 4, I’d be surprised really. If someone gets absolutely desperate and offers a 2, I’m jumping all over it. 

Kelly has shown he has stayed out of trouble so far, has shown he can still play QB and he has tape from Denver days that provides proof he has talent, his issues were maturation. I’d be fine with Kelly as our back up at this stage given we are offered a 2nd round pick for JB unless it was from the Pats, that would require their 1st rd pick and to be able to kick BB in the jewels lol. 

I think this noise about trading Brissett is just that - noise. He will be the backup qb this season unless Luck gets hurt. 

I really don't know how much obvious that can be. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

I think this noise about trading Brissett is just that - noise. He will be the backup qb this season unless Luck gets hurt. 

Well I’m certainly not advocating nor do I really think he will be traded. I’ve said, if someone blows up the phone with a second rounder, you do it. I’d try to squeeze them for a conditional second, making it a first if he hit parameters. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

My thoughts..... exactly

IF there are no injuries

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

Well I’m certainly not advocating nor do I really think he will be traded. I’ve said, if someone blows up the phone with a second rounder, you do it. I’d try to squeeze them for a conditional second, making it a first if he hit parameters. 

I'm not advocating it either, and I think that it is highly unlikely. But I would be more upset to find out that we turned down a hell of a pick (especially a 2nd that turns out to be top 40- and ESPECIALLY if washington's pick turns out to be top 40) than everyone here saying they would be upset if we traded him. We are still building a football team and building it through the draft, particularly with emphasis on 1st and 2nd round players... 

21 minutes ago, stitches said:

I can't see them trading him unless someone blows us away with a wild offer. He has good enough value for us as a backup that we would probably just try to get the 3d round compensatory pick for him the following off-season... 

If he commands a 3rd (he should)

1 minute ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I'm not advocating it either, and I think that it is highly unlikely. But I would be more upset to find out that we turned down a hell of a pick (especially a 2nd that turns out to be top 40- and ESPECIALLY if washington's pick turns out to be top 40) than everyone here saying they would be upset if we traded him. We are still building a football team and building it through the draft, particularly with emphasis on 1st and 2nd round players... 

I also understand this is a gamble that Ballard just might not be comfortable making seeing that we could still win in the postseason with Brissett, IMO... He might not be as good as Foles, but he is damn close... 

I think CB may be holding Kelly back a bit to lower his overall value.  I don't deny that he may be also testing his mental fortitude, but if Kelly shows he still has skills to warrant a legit backup position then someone may grab him off the practices quad.  If he only shows against 3rd stringers there may be enough doubt to hold those teams at bay.  I would think CB has a bit of an idea if Kelly is a legit backup for Luck or not right now.

No, I wouldn't move JB for anything less than a 2.  Ankle injuries are so unpredictable with most athletes.  Andrew likes to take off from the pocket every now and then.  I still cringe each time he tries to slide.  Just one bad slide - one time getting a bad sack - from injuring the ankle again.  JB has more value this year with this team than a 3rd rounder next year.  A 2nd rounder....I may pull the trigger depending on the team and projected 2020 draft position.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Ballard is not going to pay him $10 plus million a year when he can draft a qb, or sign a guy like Kelly long term to far less money. It's not going to happen. 

I could see a team like the Panthers trying to bring him in as a safety net for Newton. They have no viable backup, and Cam is as injury prone if not worse than Andrew, specifically with his style of play. He would be a good fit there. The Broncos are going to see how Flacco does this year, and will save over $44 million with no dead money over the next two seasons if they cut him. They could easily be looking at a guy like Brissett, who would save a boat load of money and possibly be their answer longterm. There are a number of teams that are keeping their eye on this situation, make no mistake. 

CAR just drafted a QB in the 3rd round.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

CAR just drafted a QB in the 3rd round.

True but if CAR views itself as a contender they are taking a chance with a 3rd round rookie as a viable backup to Newton.  I'm not saying they would trade for him.  They might be okay with rolling the dice again on Cam.  But if they start off being a contender and something happens to Cam they might call during the season.  I think any of the teams that are viewed as contenders could become a landing spot if something happens to their QB.  

I've spent some time digging into Kelly's past because I'm intrigued by his play and I think his character issues are overblown. 

The story of him saying he was going to get his AK and "spray up the place" at the club in Buffalo a few years back actually didn't happen. The bouncer at the club later admitted that to get the cops to come to the club he would have to make a reference to a firearm, so he said that Kelly said that. That untrue statement attributed to him has followed Kelly around since it happened. Obviously if Kelly and his buddies weren't acting like drunk fratboys at the bar, the cops wouldn't have had to have been called. Nevertheless, he never actually threatened anyone. The bouncer made that up. 

Then there's the story of him getting in a fight at a high school football game while he was at Ole Miss. He was watching his younger brother play (who is currently a TE at Ole Miss) a high school game in Buffalo and a brawl broke out on the field and he saw his younger brother at the bottom of the pile getting stomped on so he ran onto the field. Clearly he shouldn't have done that, but as someone with a younger brother I'm not sure I'd be able to restrain myself either. 

Lastly, the incident in Denver was a bad look, but it was essentially a harmless error. Who knows what was going on in his head (because the toxicology came back negative), but he entered a home which was a few doors down from where he was trying to go. The door was unlocked at like 2 in the morning so he walked in thinking it was his friend's house. There was no criminal intent.

I do think he has had some maturity issues in the past, but hopefully getting this second chance will put that to rest. By all accounts he's the first one to practice and the last one to leave. When he's on the field he's electric. All of us with eyes can see that. The offense just comes to life when he's under center and he should certainly jump Walker. I'd love for him to be Luck's backup if someone takes Brissett. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

If he commands a 3rd (he should)

I’d take the deal if we could assure it’s a high top 5-10 pick in the third. I’d be able to deal with letting him go if we could get them to say 3rd rd pick with possible 2nd if the pick is outside the first 10 picks of the 3rd. And again, I wouldn’t trade to NE for 2 1st rounders just out of principle lol

4 hours ago, jskinnz said:

If Brissett is never traded, which is what is going to happen, I wonder what the total number of posts and hours dedicated to this subject will have occurred since he was signed by the Colts? 

10 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

If Brissett is never traded, which is what is going to happen, I wonder what the total number of posts and hours dedicated to this subject will have occurred since he was signed by the Colts? 

It would take a series of super computers to calculate the number. 

5 minutes ago, CanuckColt said:

Brissett is incompetent as a starting QB.

If he has to play very many games the Ls will pile up.

Let's get real...nobody wants him...they all have better options for backup QBs.

Repeating the same nonsense over and over does not change the fact that it is still nonsense. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, aaron11 said:

the time to trade him has passed, the team wouldnt even get much for him now

might as well just hang onto him when the comp pick will be worth the same as they would get in a trade

This and the fact no one is willing to admit we tend to value him more than the rest of the league.   IF we did receive calls on Brissett, i'm pretty sure they were late-round.

Also, there have been more drafted QBs having success early in the last few years than i can remember.

If i'm looking for a QB, i may be more apt to draft a couple in early or mid-rounds and develop them.  Heck, take a QB every 2 or 3 years.  A better value than costly vets who dont seem to pan out any better than developed players.  Target QBs that fit you, and draft like you do for other positions.  It seems like a team will do aft a QB (high-ish), and then assume it will work and sort of ignore the position.  Most other positions, the team is ALWAYS looking to make improve.  At QB, most teams have a major drop to the #2.

1 hour ago, CanuckColt said:

Brissett is incompetent as a starting QB.

If he has to play very many games the Ls will pile up.

Let's get real...nobody wants him...they all have better options for backup QBs.

Well, I always heard Canadians liked their beer.

I think this post supports that claim.

• Like 1