Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Praises for Paris Campbell- Pre draft

coltsfeva

That's a pretty intense amount of support of our guy! We keep hearing all these stories like this, so why did he last so long in the draft? Surely other teams needed WRs right?  It's funny that he ranked Metcalf as a top pick.  Both those guys lasted way later than it seems they should have.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

That's a pretty intense amount of support of our guy! We keep hearing all these stories like this, so why did he last so long in the draft? Surely other teams needed WRs right?  It's funny that he ranked Metcalf as a top pick.  Both those guys lasted way later than it seems they should have.  

I think it comes to teams not doing there homework. They probably thought of him more of a gadget guy like Hines.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JPFolks said:

It ended up being a weird WR draft. Myself along with others where projecting atleast 3-4 going in the first then there ended up only being 2 and that was towards the tail end. Heck one of the favorites, Hakeem Butler, didnt go until the 3rd. Even one of my favorite WR's who was projected in the first a couple time didnt go until the 6th (Kelvin Harmon). So dont hold that against Campbell. 

1 hour ago, twfish said:

It ended up being a weird WR draft. Myself along with others where projecting atleast 3-4 going in the first then there ended up only being 2 and that was towards the tail end. Heck one of the favorites, Hakeem Butler, didnt go until the 3rd. Even one of my favorite WR's who was projected in the first a couple time didnt go until the 6th (Kelvin Harmon). So dont hold that against Campbell. 

Actually, Butler went in the 4th.   Didn’t wait too long that Saturday...   Butler was the FIRST pick in the third day. 

He was one one of the biggest surprises of the draft.  

4 hours ago, Matthew Gilbert said:

I'll give Moss credit for making one handed catches a thing. Practically every kid in the country practices it now from peewee on up.

man moss my favorite wr all time but give obj his credit he made 1 handed catches popular stop it 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Actually, Butler went in the 4th.   Didn’t wait too long that Saturday...   Butler was the FIRST pick in the third day. 

He was one one of the biggest surprises of the draft.  

I was thinking of the third day but put 3rd round haha side not what a WR haul for the Cardinals getting Isabella and Butler.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, twfish said:

Oh I am definitely not holding it against him.  He was my #1 choice and on every pick before him i kept thinking the Colts would take him but gave up hope and then there he was, still available when we picked him.  

3 hours ago, twfish said:

I thought the biggest reach of the draft was the Raiders selecting Clelin Ferrell (DE - Clemson) at the Number 4 pick (a lot of pundits had Indy taking him at 26).  

I think that led to a very big run on front seven defensive players (we all knew that was a deep position in this draft, but I think they got scooped up a little earlier than expected the way the first 4 picks went).  I think it worked out well for us in the end.

The thing about Parris Campbell, to me, that sticks out is he can run routes (David Carr and several others who watched his combine drills, etc. say he jumped off the tape with his route running).  He just wasn't used as a route-runner at OSU because like Simms says in the video he could take a screen or short slant for 70+ yards.

• Like 2

But this guy has DK Metcalf rated as a “can’t miss” player when all I’ve heard from Colts affiliated media is how overrated Metcalf is, lack of actual production, workout warrior, etc.

Can’t wait to see Parris at training camp.

1 hour ago, CamMo said:

But this guy has DK Metcalf rated as a “can’t miss” player when all I’ve heard from Colts affiliated media is how overrated Metcalf is, lack of actual production, workout warrior, etc.

Waiting  to see Cain

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CamMo said:

34 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Waiting  to see Cain

I can't wait to see how all of the draft picks turn out. Ballard has

me thinking he can find gems in any round.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, dodsworth said:

I can't wait to see how all of the draft picks turn out. Ballard has

me thinking he can find gems in any round.

"What do I think about that player Bobby Booshay at the tail end of the 6th round you say? Look, he has HOF long snapper written all over him" - Indianapolis Colts General Manager Chris Ballard 

18 hours ago, CamMo said:

his 3-cone was worrisome (metcalf) on that chart in this video.  Thanks for posting this video, Chris Simms is moving up the charts, he does his homework, wow.

20 hours ago, CamMo said:

He does say Parris is his favorite WR from this draft.... but says Metcalf will be the surest one to be a decent NFL player.  Metcalf seems to lack agility and is from tape he looks pretty stiff getting in and out of routes... however, he's got tremendous size and strength and good hands, so he'll still probably be productive.

5 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

He does say Parris is his favorite WR from this draft.... but says Metcalf will be the surest one to be a decent NFL player.  Metcalf seems to lack agility and is from tape he looks pretty stiff getting in and out of routes... however, he's got tremendous size and strength and good hands, so he'll still probably be productive.

Metcalf will prob just go deep and catch  or be used in crossing routes and slants. He def can be effective.  Campbell might be the most hyped  rookie the colts have had in a while

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stephen said:

Metcalf will prob just go deep and catch  or be used in crossing routes and slants. He def can be effective.  Campbell might be the most hyped  rookie the colts have had in a while

Granted he missed 5 games last year, he was only 5th on the team in receptions (even if he hadn't missed 5 games, he still would've been 3rd most likely).  

At 6'3" 228 lbs with a 4.33 forty, 27 reps on bench press, and a 40.5 inch vertical he is going to be a match-up nightmare for most corners just based on his size, strength, speed and ability to jump.  He also has good hands (he kind of reminds me a little of a stronger DHB who can also catch).  

I think you're right, he'll probably be used for the deep ball.  Randy Moss wasn't as strong as this guy, but was quicker/more agile and they have similar speed.  Randy made a living early in his career by running straight by people and outjumping them if he had to... as his career went on he became a more polished route-runner, but he was highly successful straight out of the gate primarily due to his speed, his height, ability to jump and good hands.  Metcalf has the measurables to be a similar kind of deep threat.

And yes, I was just reading the article on the front page of Colts.com -- Ballard said Reich and Sirianni will find ways to get production out of Campbell right away based solely on his athleticism and will continuously be working on developing on turning him into a true WR and route-runner.