Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Gettleman-Ballard Pre-Nup

Here we go:

The Giants and Colts have a whopping 21 combined picks in this year's draft.  As evidenced by the OBJ trade, no option is off the table for NY.

Before proceeding, I'd like to ask the main question driving this thread: 

"HOW LIKELY IS IT THAT GIANTS AND COLTS BRASS WILL HAVE SOME TRADE OPTIONS/SCENARIOS IN PLACE PRIOR TO THE DRAFT?"   

Rationale:  To the casual onlooker and most football analysts, nobody is sure what the Giants' plan is or if they even have one.  I'm sure that they do, but once the draft begins things could change in a mighty hurry and the Giants may have to resort to plan B, C, or even D.  Ballard, always in search of value and opportunity, may well move up or down if the conditions are favorable.

Interest:  If the Cards draft Murray and NY misses out on Haskins, they could get put into a position where they need a 1-year stop-gap other than Manning to get through 2019.  This is where Brissett comes into play.  There's no guarantee the Giants love Drew Lock or Daniel Jones, so things could go south in short order.  On the flip side, Sterling Shepard's name has come up in trade rumors.  With Tate the new slot guy in NY, Shepard could indeed be on the block.  He could be a perfect add as a proven commodity to round out the WR corps in Indy.  T.Y. is #1, Funchess the possession/red zone target, Shepard in the slot, and Cain as the wild card/deep threat.  Brissett and Shepard would have similar trade value, with Brissett and Ballard holding positional leverage.

Equitability:  With so many collective picks, it wouldn't be hard to make moves at any point in the draft with our without the Brissett/Shepard dynamics.  As a short value guide, here are some of the early round picks and values available for both teams:

GIANTS:  Rnd 1, Pick 17 (17) = 950               COLTS:  Rnd 1, Pick 27 (27) = 700

Rnd 2, Pick 05 (35) = 550                              Rnd 2, Pick 04 (34) = 560

Rnd 3, Pick 31 (63) = 276                              Rnd 2, Pick 27 (59) = 310

Rnd 4, Pick 06 (102) = 92                              Rnd 3, Pick 25 (89) = 145

Rnd 4, Pick 30 (126) = 46                              Rnd 4, Pick 27 (123) = 49

Considering the picks, players, and options available I wouldn't be surprised to see one or more trades between NY and Indy as both teams attempt to build through this draft.  I'd be even less surprised to hear that they've discussed progressions and compensation packages based on how the draft unfolds.  Last year saw an unprecedented number of first round trades.  Food for thought.

Your thoughts or predictions?  

1 hour ago, BluHorzhu said:

Here we go:

The Giants and Colts have a whopping 21 combined picks in this year's draft.  As evidenced by the OBJ trade, no option is off the table for NY.

"HOW LIKELY IS IT THAT GIANTS AND COLTS BRASS WILL HAVE SOME TRADE OPTIONS/SCENARIOS IN PLACE PRIOR TO THE DRAFT?"   

Rationale:  To the casual onlooker and most football analysts, nobody is sure what the Giants' plan is or if they even have one.  I'm sure that they do, but once the draft begins things could change in a mighty hurry and the Giants may have to resort to plan B, C, or even D.  Ballard, always in search of value and opportunity, may well move up or down if the conditions are favorable.

Interest:  If the Cards draft Murray and NY misses out on Haskins, they could get put into a position where they need a 1-year stop-gap other than Manning to get through 2019.  This is where Brissett comes into play.  There's no guarantee the Giants love Drew Lock or Daniel Jones, so things could go south in short order.  On the flip side, Sterling Shepard's name has come up in trade rumors.  With Tate the new slot guy in NY, Shepard could indeed be on the block.  He could be a perfect add as a proven commodity to round out the WR corps in Indy.  T.Y. is #1, Funchess the possession/red zone target, Shepard in the slot, and Cain as the wild card/deep threat.  Brissett and Shepard would have similar trade value, with Brissett and Ballard holding positional leverage.

Equitability:  With so many collective picks, it wouldn't be hard to make moves at any point in the draft with our without the Brissett/Shepard dynamics.  As a short value guide, here are some of the early round picks and values available for both teams:

GIANTS:  Rnd 1, Pick 17 (17) = 950               COLTS:  Rnd 1, Pick 27 (27) = 700

Rnd 2, Pick 05 (35) = 550                              Rnd 2, Pick 04 (34) = 560

Rnd 3, Pick 31 (63) = 276                              Rnd 2, Pick 27 (59) = 310

Rnd 4, Pick 06 (102) = 92                              Rnd 3, Pick 25 (89) = 145

Rnd 4, Pick 30 (126) = 46                              Rnd 4, Pick 27 (123) = 49

Considering the picks, players, and options available I wouldn't be surprised to see one or more trades between NY and Indy as both teams attempt to build through this draft.  I'd be even less surprised to hear that they've discussed progressions and compensation packages based on how the draft unfolds.  Last year saw an unprecedented number of first round trades.  Food for thought.

One thing that is predictable about Gsttleman is that he never trades.   Look at his draft history with Carolina and New York. 

• Like 1

So much attention on Jacoby Brissett, but I continue to wonder why people think he's in high demand as a starting QB.

I like Brissett, I think he has tools and upside, but I don't see any team going out of their way to acquire him right now. Especially the Giants. They're evidently content to let Eli finish his contract as their starter, and he wasn't as bad as people think he was last year. And if they really like someone in this year's draft, they're within range to get anyone they want (outside of Murray, assuming the Cardinals want him at #1). 

I feel like trading for Brissett this year would be something like their 8th option, out of ten. I think they'd sooner commit to a tank job in 2019 and get another high draft pick in 2020 so they can go after one of the three guys presumed to be at the top of next year's draft.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Superman said:

So much attention on Jacoby Brissett, but I continue to wonder why people think he's in high demand as a starting QB.

I like Brissett, I think he has tools and upside, but I don't see any team going out of their way to acquire him right now. Especially the Giants. They're evidently content to let Eli finish his contract as their starter, and he wasn't as bad as people think he was last year. And if they really like someone in this year's draft, they're within range to get anyone they want (outside of Murray, assuming the Cardinals want him at #1). 

I feel like trading for Brissett this year would be something like their 8th option, out of ten. I think they'd sooner commit to a tank job in 2019 and get another high draft pick in 2020 so they can go after one of the three guys presumed to be at the top of next year's draft.

This. . . I don't see Brissett on anyone's radar as a future starter.  

I think given the opportunity, Brissett is a starter in this league, but highly doubt anyone is seriously looking at him as an option.

Simply put, he'd be too expensive for us to let him go. Can't see a deal that's worth it for both us and another team pursuing him.

17 hours ago, BluHorzhu said:

Here we go:

Thoughts and predictions

This has a chance of happening that ranges from somewhere between zero and less than zero.  They seem very set on Eli this year. So why would they invest in Brissett, a guy with one year left on his deal, now?  If they want to develop a QB, why not draft one that they will have at a cheap rate for 4 years?

50 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would trade our #1 this year which is the 26th pick and Brissett for Barkley. Ballard would never do that but I would.

We would still have 8 picks and arguably the best RB in the league who is young.

Why would the Giants do this?

Answer - they wouldn't.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would trade our #1 this year which is the 26th pick and Brissett for Barkley. Ballard would never do that but I would.

We would still have 8 picks and arguably the best RB in the league who is young.

Forget that Ballard would never do it.  The Giants are the team that would never do it.   They wouldn’t be getting anything close to enough.   It would be a non-starter. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Forget that Ballard would never do it.  The Giants are the team that would never do it.   They wouldn’t be getting anything close to enough.   It would be a non-starter. 

Oh I know, I was in fantasy land haha . We would have to give up way more than that.

56 minutes ago, Superman said:

You're never one player away. -- Chris Ballard

I agree but I would still do that trade. Giants would not though as NCF pointed out.

• Like 1

I think we drastically over-value Brissett.

If we were getting legitimate offers, Ballard would move or we'd at least hear whispers.

I also feel he's more valuable to us this year than a weak offer.

i like Brissett, but logic tells me he'd be a hotter commodity if the league saw him the way i do.

28 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

I think we drastically over-value Brissett.

100% Agree

If we were getting legitimate offers, Ballard would move or we'd at least hear whispers.

100% Agree again. Any GM would take a 2nd Rd pick for a backup QB on the final year of rookie deal period.  It hasn't happened. 

I also feel he's more valuable to us this year than a weak offer.

He's a great locker room guy, but does he give the team an edge backing up Luck? And does JB really fit F. Reich offense???

i like Brissett, but logic tells me he'd be a hotter commodity if the league saw him the way i do.

Other than being a great locker room guy, I don't see anything other than a fringe starter/backup with Brissett. The past 2 weeks basically determined his market is not that high.

59 minutes ago, MPStack said:

100% Agree

100% Agree again. Any GM would take a 2nd Rd pick for a backup QB on the final year of rookie deal period.  It hasn't happened. 

He's a great locker room guy, but does he give the team an edge backing up Luck? And does JB really fit F. Reich offense???

Other than being a great locker room guy, I don't see anything other than a fringe starter/backup with Brissett. The past 2 weeks basically determined his market is not that high.

Agree on all fronts.

it would be interesting to see what he could do behind this OL tho.  He had no chance when he started and was lucky to have finished the year NOT on IR.  I think there is potential there.

I might even prefer him to a couple of the 32 starters.

• Like 1

I just think it is what it is.

If we can get a pick 3rd rounder or better, we probably would take it?

If not you let him play it out as a back up with at least a chance to get a good comp pick(depending on other moves). Maybe not? He could resign here at that point as well. 

If you can only get a 4th or worse draft pick for him, he is worth more to keep. 

Just my opinion.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2019 at 1:25 PM, Superman said:

They really want him to be so they can imagine high returns in trade for him.

I like Brissett, I think he has tools and upside, but I don't see any team going out of their way to acquire him right now. Especially the Giants. They're evidently content to let Eli finish his contract as their starter, and he wasn't as bad as people think he was last year.

Especially the second half of last year when their O line started to perform better.  Eli can still sling it given a little time in the pocket.  That is Gettelman's job, like it was for Ballard.

And if they really like someone in this year's draft, they're within range to get anyone they want (outside of Murray, assuming the Cardinals want him at #1). 

Brissett would only be a 1 year rental, with a potential monster deal waiting on the doorstep.  Hard to give up anything of value for that scenario.

On 3/19/2019 at 4:28 PM, Superman said:

You're never one player away. -- Chris Ballard

You're never one player away because there is a 100% injury rate in this sport.  -Chris Landry

• Like 1