Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Next years free agents to be and how it affects the 106.5 million cap space this year

The Oopty Oop

I'm wanting to know who all are our free agents to be for next year and how it affects how much cap space we realistically have to spend this year. Also how does the salary cap work...as in if we dont meet the requirements for total money spent over a 3 year period(or I believe it's over a 3 year period that you must spend 90%???) are there penalties involved? Fines? 

26 minutes ago, The Oopty Oop said:

I'm wanting to know who all are our free agents to be for next year and how it affects how much cap space we realistically have to spend this year. Also how does the salary cap work...as in if we dont meet the requirements for total money spent over a 3 year period(or I believe it's over a 3 year period that you must spend 90%???) are there penalties involved? Fines? 

First:  go here, play around, see firsthand

https://overthecap.com/calculator/indianapolis-colts/

Second.  The 4 year period for spending the 89% of the cap comes in at the end of the 2020 season.  If we don't meet it, the difference it takes to get to 89% is taken and distributed to the players on that team until that 89% is met. But its important to note one thing; the 89% is the cap money spent, which is different than the cap hit totals.  Bonus, performance bonuses, salary, etc are all counted.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

In addition to @csmopar’s excellent post, I’d add this. 

Ballard was asked about this specific issue at his end of the season.   His response was basically this....

That he and his financial team are totally on top of this.   The monitor it daily.   And they’re confident it’s never going to be a problem.   Not worried at all.

1 minute ago, Kyle said:

Looks like Castonzo, Sheard, Ebron, Doyle, Kelly, Moore and Brissett will be the biggest FA decisions we have next off season 

There is going to be a lot of tough decisions. Besides Brissett who might leave for a starting job those could be some big contracts. Kenny Moore is going to get a huge one if he plays as well this coming season. I hope we can afford them all.

8 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Doyle better have a great season coming up or I could see them letting him go.

Perhaps.
 But i don't believe he has to have a "Great Season" at all.
 Just continue to contribute like he has. Jack is a swiss army knife, with a lot to offer. What kind of $$$ he might get... ???

• Like 1

On 3/7/2019 at 1:12 PM, The Oopty Oop said:

And we will want to roll over into 2021 as much as is allowed.
That should be about $20M AFTER the 2020 FA period. JMO

2 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Perhaps.
 But i don't believe he has to have a "Great Season" at all.
 Just continue to contribute like he has. Jack is a swiss army knife, with a lot to offer. What kind of $$$ he might get... ???

It would be nice if the hometown kid gets to finish his career here. We missed his production in the middle of the field this year. He is kind of our slot receiver.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

It would be nice if the hometown kid gets to finish his career here. We missed his production in the middle of the field this year. He is kind of our slot receiver.

His moves are subtle, but Andrew really throws him a lot of on the money passes.
The security blanket.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I like the fact that he is so versatile. Hes good enough at everything which hells conceal our playcalling. Everyone knows Ryan Hewitt is in to block while hes on the field. Doyle, can block and run a short or medium route decently well. 

However if hes gonna get starter money he needs to ball out this year. Otherwise hes gettinf TE2 money or playing elsewhere. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Costanzo, Ebron, Kelly, and Moore will be back for sure. 

I hate Ebron and his drops and all he's out there for is to catch balls and sometimes he can't even do that let him go I don't care about the TD's will get someone else to do that. 

16 hours ago, Kyle said:

Seeing that Castonzo is getting older and is in a contract year, I wouldnt be shocked if we went LT in the 1st or early 2nd

Castonzo is the main reason I think we get an OT in the first round. Everyone picking up DL and WR, we may just get the 2nd or 3rd best OT on the board. The fact that Ballard said our WR situation isn't as bad as our fans think. Also not saying we don't resign Castonzo either. He stays in great shape and up till the hamstring thing last year was always available.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

:facepalm:

Yeah, love him now but when he drops more balls at crucial times next season you'll be angry and understand better what I'm trying to say. Yeah, sure he caught what 10 TD's last season something like that but you don't think a better receiver opposite TY couldn't have done the same thing without the drops other times. 

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Stop with the Ebron drops passes stuff. He dropped like 10%. That was less then Edelman. Plus with all the targets he had it was a very small percentage.

Although I think it’s always a bit of a grey area as to when it’s a “drop” hes still up there for drops. I mean 10% isn’t insignificant:

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/stats?season=2018&week=100&category=RECEIVING&opp=0&sort=11&qualified=1&sortOrder=0&page=1

Why I think we missed Doyle. Ebron is a great weapon but isn’t the man I want to go to on 3rd down.

3 hours ago, superrep1967 said:

Yeah, love him now but when he drops more balls at crucial times next season you'll be angry and understand better what I'm trying to say. Yeah, sure he caught what 10 TD's last season something like that but you don't think a better receiver opposite TY couldn't have done the same thing without the drops other times. 

Ebron had 66 catches, 750 Yds and 13 Tds with a 11.4 average. 

Most all fans are wanting a receiver that can go up and win those jump balls and Ebron fits that bill. He may be listed as a TE but watching him play I know he is more than an average TE.

Yes he has some drops but no more than a few receivers that are rated above him.

3 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Stop with the Ebron drops passes stuff. He dropped like 10%. That was less then Edelman. Plus with all the targets he had it was a very small percentage.

Edelman had 1 less drop on 2 less targets.
 And 10% is 10% no matter how many targets.
 Typically QB's start throwing less to guys that drop a lot. 10% will always be a lot.
  And Ebron found himself on the bench a lot after some of his critical drops.
  Critical as is on 3rd down that forces his team to give the ball back to the other team. 
 The problem with Ebron was that he had those great passes thrown right on the money kind of drops. I would have to see a video of how many of those Edelman had to compare.

Not sure why it would have much impact on FA.

Kelly has a 5th year option already built into projections for the team salary cap next season. They might try to work out an extension early, but if anything, that would reduce his cap hit next year.

Ebron and Doyle are already on bigger deals...and combined won't see a huge increase...IF both are retained (which I highly doubt).

AC is already counting $11M against the cap...so I don't see much of a huge cap increase there as well...IF he is retained.

Brissett won't be re-signed.

Moore is the only one who would be due to have a much bigger cap hit that is currently somewhat of an unknown. But a lot can change between now and next February/March.

Suffice to say, next year's FA group would be a very lame excuse for not spending this offseason...or even next offseason. You are probably looking about ~$!5M in additional cap space needed over what is being spent now...to retain everyone on this list but Brissett. And that's if they keep all of them...which is unlikely.

The Colts have a $100M+ in cap space right now....and don't really have to worry about keeping guys for quite a while. 

And to add one more thing...while paying your own sounds good...it's not practical or even efficient. A team doesn't get better by paying a dozen guys more money to provide the same value. So I think Ballard will always be looking for upgrades and will be selective with who gets extensions.

• Like 4