Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Robert Kraft Charged in Prostitution Probe

Virtuoso80

9 hours ago, NFLfan said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/patriots-owner-robert-kraft-gets-court-date-and-must-appear-161905332.html
"Patriots owner Robert Kraft gets court date for solicitation charges — and must appear..."

Let's see what happens. Since it is a misdemeanor, it is likely that he will get a slap on the wrist. 

9 hours ago, Gramz said:

Maybe our legal team on here can shed more light, but I believe the "ONLY"  way he legally gets out of appearing, would be to plea bargain and settle.   Plea bargain, meaning pleads guilty to a charge.    It is my understanding if he continues a plea of  "not guilty"  then he will have to appear before the judge.       Any of our lawyers on here care to chime in...??

I'm not a lawyer, but-

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's a misdemeanor in FL. Kraft's lawyer has already filed a notice of appearance om Kraft's behalf.

**However, Kraft's defense attorney, Jack Goldberger, insisted in a statement Thursday that his client is not required to appear in court under Florida law, despite the court's notice.

"This is a routine procedural hearing that the Court sets based on its schedule,’’ Goldberger wrote in an e-mail to The Boston Globe. “The notice of appearance by the defendant is boilerplate, but in fact the lawyer appears for the defendant in a misdemeanor case. The defendant does not appear."

The Palm Beach County clerk also confirmed {to WBZ} that Kraft can be represented by his attorney at the hearing.

The case could also be continued until another date to allow both sides to work out a plea, according to WBZ-TV’s Cheryl Fianadaca. Kraft has already entered an early not guilty plea and previously asked for a trial with no jury on the low-level charges.

These cases rarely go to trial...

{more}

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2019/03/07/robert-kraft-prostitution-arraignment/

• Like 1

Sounds like a slap on the ol wrist to me. What he is being charged with is only a Misdemeanor anyway, not a Felony. He will do no jail time. What the NFL will do as far as punishment will be interesting though. Irsay got fined 500,000 and suspended for 6 games for a DWI - a Misdemeanor for 1st timers. So I am sure something harsh may come from Goodell and the NFL.

• Like 2

On 3/7/2019 at 6:52 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Sounds like a slap on the ol wrist to me. What he is being charged with is only a Misdemeanor anyway, not a Felony. He will do no jail time. What the NFL will do as far as punishment will be interesting though. Irsay got fined 500,000 and suspended for 6 games for a DWI - a Misdemeanor for 1st timers. So I am sure something harsh may come from Goodell and the NFL.

You have summed it up correctly.   A slap on the wrist from the legal system.   Likely a fine..   some community service...   and some probation.

The real embarrassment will come the NFL.   Don’t see hiw the league can’t give Kraft at least what they gave Irsay.    Krafts offense was high profile, an embarrassment to the league, and just a horrible example for everyone.   The league CANT let Kraft off easily.   The shield will drop the hammer on Kraft.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 3:47 PM, Gramz said:

lol  How exactly do you fight videoed evidence?

Well.....He's going all out, bringing in the big guns to fight a misdemeanor.

Well if you remember he talked real big about suing the NFL over the deflate issue and had all the high dollar lawyers ready till those lawyers advised him not to sue.

The story later turned into him having a change of heart. Really? haha

On 3/6/2019 at 5:05 PM, Nadine said:

The law has a way of bending to money as in the Jeffery Epstein case.  But I think he would need the prosecuting attorneys to be complicit and I don't think these prosecutors will do that. Fingers crossed anyway.

There are quite a few wealthy types that got caught up in this.

Law enforcement is realizing arresting the workers isn't correcting the trafficking, and (unfortunately) neither is arresting the Johns.  But cracking the true issue is quite difficult. One story I read recently points it out.

It's so sad.  What is worse, these Asian spas are everywhere in South and Southwest Florida.  It is estimated roughly 25% of those provide illegal 'favors'.

Some excerpts from a Miami Herald story recently-

"For law enforcement, cracking the rings that are behind the massage parlors is challenging — and bringing trafficking charges even more difficult — because of workers’ reluctance to testify, cultural barriers and an international business structure that makes identifying the masterminds next to impossible."

"An estimated 9,000 “illicit massage businesses” operate in the United States, reaping a suspected $2.5 billion in profits, according to Polaris, a non-profit that aims to combat human trafficking."

"In Queens, New York, home to a sizable Chinese enclave, the arrests were so numerous that in 2004, authorities started a “Human Trafficking Court” designed to connect women arrested for prostitution with social services and a chance to get their charges dropped. The program was expanded in 2014 to other parts of the city."

"Many of the women who wind up working in massage parlors and spas are recruited from rural parts of China with nebulous promises of legal employment in the United States. Some are fleeing domestic abuse, or their families are heavily in debt. Typically they have little education. Agencies in China arrange for them to travel to the United States on tourist visas, and charge them thousands of dollars that many women agree to work off rather than paying up front."

And there is a great story how Miami Beach tried and and somewhat failed in getting at the trafficking issue here-

"The case of Miami Beach spa madam Mi Cha Jones demonstrates just how difficult it is to make even a carefully constructed trafficking case stick."

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/crime/article226942349.html#storylink=cpy

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Law enforcement is realizing arresting the workers isn't correcting the trafficking, and (unfortunately) neither is arresting the Johns.  But cracking the true issue is quite difficult. One story I read recently points it out.

It's so sad.  What is worse, these Asian spas are everywhere in South and Southwest Florida.  It is estimated roughly 25% of those provide illegal 'favors'.

Some excerpts from a Miami Herald story recently-

"For law enforcement, cracking the rings that are behind the massage parlors is challenging — and bringing trafficking charges even more difficult — because of workers’ reluctance to testify, cultural barriers and an international business structure that makes identifying the masterminds next to impossible."

"An estimated 9,000 “illicit massage businesses” operate in the United States, reaping a suspected $2.5 billion in profits, according to Polaris, a non-profit that aims to combat human trafficking."

"In Queens, New York, home to a sizable Chinese enclave, the arrests were so numerous that in 2004, authorities started a “Human Trafficking Court” designed to connect women arrested for prostitution with social services and a chance to get their charges dropped. The program was expanded in 2014 to other parts of the city."

"Many of the women who wind up working in massage parlors and spas are recruited from rural parts of China with nebulous promises of legal employment in the United States. Some are fleeing domestic abuse, or their families are heavily in debt. Typically they have little education. Agencies in China arrange for them to travel to the United States on tourist visas, and charge them thousands of dollars that many women agree to work off rather than paying up front."

And there is a great story how Miami Beach tried and and somewhat failed in getting at the trafficking issue here-

"The case of Miami Beach spa madam Mi Cha Jones demonstrates just how difficult it is to make even a carefully constructed trafficking case stick."

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/crime/article226942349.html#storylink=cpy

The Miami Herald has been doing an amazing job investigating this

BTW, we have this problem in Indiana as well

http://youarecurrent.com/2015/02/06/suspect-found-guilty-in-dove-spa-prostitution-trial-in-carmel/

https://www.theindychannel.com/news/local-news/indianapolis/owner-of-indy-massage-parlor-arrested-charged-with-prostitution

http://www.dailyjournal.net/2016/10/22/after_massage_parlor_shut_down_what_next/

https://www.wishtv.com/news/crime-watch-8/police-raid-multiple-local-massage-parlors/1064269194

It is flipping everywhere. I met a woman at a summer event who was handing out flyers about human trafficking in Indiana.  She said her daughter had been drawn into it via social media.

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

In Queens, New York, home to a sizable Chinese enclave, the arrests were so numerous that in 2004, authorities started a “Human Trafficking Court” designed to connect women arrested for prostitution with social services and a chance to get their charges dropped. The program was expanded in 2014 to other parts of the city."

I read that in another article. My colleagues and I were talking about this because we work in that part of Queens (Flushing), which is about a mile from where the NY Mets play (Citifield). Queens is a large county in NYC. Most of those living in that part of Queens are Chinese or Korean. I never realized there were these "parlors". I did not know that sex trafficking was so prevalent there. Someone who is not aware of them will not know that there are prostitutes in the area. You don't see them. The whole thing is very sad. It is hard to prosecute those responsible for perpetuating this. Many of these women are undocumented; so, I suspect that many won't come forward because they are worried about being deported.

Here is an article that is long but a good read. It is a true story about a young Chinese woman who got involved in this.

The Case of Jane Doe Ponytail 

https://nyti.ms/2A5iCb0

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Nadine said:

Seems like a pretty good deal

Sounds like a deal that'd let him to move on quickly and brush it under the rug without facing charges.

Also sounds like the kind of thing Kraft will reject as he will say hes not guilty of anything and doesn't want the public perception or the league's penalty for admitting he would have been guilty.

I could totally see him declining this deal and fighting it and saying "if they're willing to not prosecute it's because they know they can't convict. screw this, I'm fighting it".  lol

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

An Alford Plea

confusing

An Alford plea (also called a Kennedy plea in West Virginia, an Alfordguilty plea and the Alford doctrine), in United States law, is a guilty plea in criminal court, whereby a defendant in a criminal case does not admit to the criminal act and asserts innocence.

It's a guilty plea in which you don't admit the criminal act and assert your innocence?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alford_plea

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Nadine said:

confusing

It's a guilty plea in which you don't admit the criminal act and assert your innocence?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alford_plea

I haven't read the article but it is admitting they have enough evidence to find you guilty but you are not saying you did it.   You aren't exactly saying you didn't do it though either.  That isn't required.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Kind of

an Alford Plea often occurs when the Prosecution has a large amount of evidence against a defendant and as a result of a deal

I see.  So it would be Krafts side admitting only that it's possible that the prosecution has enough evidence to find him guilty. Apparently, it's standard operating procedure for first time offense misdemeanors.

Also part of the deal

under the deal, Kraft would have to be screened for sexually transmitted diseases, complete an education course about prostitution and do 100 hours of community service.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/19/prosecutors-offer-to-drop-prostitution-charges-against-robert-kraft.html

Seems like a win win

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Nadine said:

I see.  So it would be Krafts side admitting only that it's possible that the prosecution has enough evidence to find him guilty. Apparently, it's standard operating procedure for first time offense misdemeanors.

Also part of the deal

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/19/prosecutors-offer-to-drop-prostitution-charges-against-robert-kraft.html

Seems like a win win

Yes

• Like 1

I'm wondering  if he'll take this plea, that would mean admitting guilt and knowing they have enough evidence that he'd be found guilty if going to trial.

And then there's the dealing with the NFL if admitting guilt.  :dunno:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fluke_33 said:

I haven't read the article but it is admitting they have enough evidence to find you guilty but you are not saying you did it.   You aren't exactly saying you didn't do it though either.  That isn't required.

6 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Kind of

an Alford Plea often occurs when the Prosecution has a large amount of evidence against a defendant and as a result of a deal

This may be a silly question. How is this different from pleading no contest?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

This may be a silly question. How is this different from pleading no contest?

Nolo Contendere(No Contest) Plea in most US Jurisdiction is an alternative to a  guilty/not plea while an Alford Plea is technically a guilty plea

They both have the same immediate results but different residual results

Info from Wikipedia 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Gramz said:

I'm wondering  if he'll take this plea, that would mean admitting guilt and knowing they have enough evidence that he'd be found guilty if going to trial.

And then there's the dealing with the NFL if admitting guilt.  :dunno:

By all accounts, he is in a terrible position. Even if there isn't much legal repercussions (if he takes this deal), there will certainly be repercussions from the NFL. Not to mention his reputation is now ruined and there will be lots of personal and probably financial fallout for him.

Annnnnd just as I figured and stated earlier, Kraft refuses the deal and calls it a non-starter.

He will not admit to anything wrong. That is his way and the only way that he can try to save face and minimize or avoid any league punishment or tarnishing of his legacy.

Could have seen this coming from a mile away.

He has the money and will fight this until it is not worth the prosecution's time and resources and they drop it and he gets away with whatever he did.

Ugh

17 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:
is

Annnnnd just as I figured and stated earlier, Kraft refuses the deal and calls it a non-starter.

He will not admit to anything wrong. That is his way and the only way that he can try to save face and minimize or avoid any league punishment or tarnishing of his legacy.

Could have seen this coming from a mile away.

He has the money and will fight this until it is not worth the prosecution's time and resources and they drop it and he gets away with whatever he did.

Ugh

I am not surprised that he is not taking the plea deal.   He's kind of in a no-win situation (that he put himself in).   Too arrogant to admit guilt (even tho there is supposed photos and videos).    I'm sure he thinks his $$ will get him out of this.

I am, however,  not convinced that he'll walk scott free.   I honestly believe he'll be found guilty.  

I guess he is above doing 100 hours of community service, subjecting himself to STD testing, and classes,   yet...  he is facing and sure to get time behind bars if convicted.       smh      

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gramz said:

I am not surprised that he is not taking the plea deal.   He's kind of in a no-win situation (that he put himself in).   Too arrogant to admit guilt (even tho there is supposed photos and videos).    I'm sure he thinks his $$ will get him out of this.

I am, however,  not convinced that he'll walk scott free.   I honestly believe he'll be found guilty.  

I guess he is above doing 100 hours of community service, subjecting himself to STD testing, and classes,   yet...  he facing and sure to get time behind bars if convicted.       smh      

guess you can say he's got a "grip" on the situation. 

46 minutes ago, Gramz said:

I guess he is above doing 100 hours of community service, subjecting himself to STD testing, and classes,   yet...  he is facing and sure to get time behind bars if convicted.       smh      

I am not surprised but Refusing a deal on a case like this could be a bad thing

• Like 1

1 hour ago, teganslaw said:

Is Kraft not listening to his lawyers? It would seem that the lawyers would try to talk Kraft into accepting the plea deal. I think refusing this would be a huge mistake. He thinks that he really didn't do anything wrong. 

Evidently not. I understand that this is normal procedure for first time offenders, it's not like he personally is being given special treatment.  It's been offered to everyone accused in this case, as first time offenders.

It would only make sense to take the plea deal, given the supposed evidence they have.

It will be interesting... stay tuned. :popcorn:

:edit:. I just read he's filing a motion to suppress the video evidence.  :scratch:. Why file that motion if you're innocent. :scratch:

3 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

For who?  Him, or folks looking for justice?

There have many instances where the refusal of deals have made the prosecution mad 

9 hours ago, Gramz said:

Evidently not. I understand that this is normal procedure for first time offenders, it's not like he personally is being given special treatment.  It's been offered to everyone accused in this case, as first time offenders.

It would only make sense to take the plea deal, given the supposed evidence they have.

It will be interesting... stay tuned. :popcorn:

:edit:. I just read he's filing a motion to suppress the video evidence.  :scratch:. Why file that motion if you're innocent. :scratch:

Good Question