Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What's up with the Malik Hooker bashing?

Colts_Fan12

Seeing more and more dumb posts about moving on from him or how hes not living up to his draft position. He's in basically his rookie freaking year coming off a torn ACL abd not even playing bad as far as I've seen. What's the deal?? Its getting old I guess since we are winning and look to be improving they had to find something new to complain about! Lol 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

You literally said we should look for 4 new starters lmao someone else said cut our losses and trade him lmao

No, I literally didn't.  Go read it.  Never said should, and in fact said I wouldn't. 

I said if it happened, I wouldn't be surprised nor blame the GM for it.  How is that bashing?

As I said, he's on his rookie contract. And since we invested a first, I'd keep him for those reason alone. 

Of course, I said the same thing about Bjoern Werner too, but that was years ago.

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

No, I literally didn't.  Go read it.  Never said should, and in fact said I wouldn't. 

I said if it happened, I wouldn't be surprised nor blame the GM for it.  How is that bashing?

As I said, he's on his rookie contract. And since we invested a first, I'd keep him for those reason alone. 

Of course, I said the same thing about Bjoern Werner too, but that was years ago.

"Getting 4 new starters is fine by me" your exact words it dont matter how you worded it it means the same your salty same as you were the night we took him moving on from him would please you 

5 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

"Getting 4 new starters is fine by me" your exact words it dont matter how you worded it it means the same your salty same as you were the night we took him moving on from him would please you 

That's not even implying "should", especially since after you swooped in a thread about 5 needs for next season to simply pick a fight about Hooker, my next post said "I wouldn't do it". (move on next year)

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

That's not "should", especially since after you swooped in a thread about 5 needs for next season to simply pick a fight about Hooker I said "I wouldn't do it".

Then why post what you did to begin with? Did you realize it was stupid after you were called out or what? 

6 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Then why post what you did to begin with? Did you realize it was stupid after you were called out or what? 

Post what? 

In the needs for next season thread, I said among 4 other needs we need DBs who can tackle, which is what a zone defense needs.  That includes CBs and Ss, and getting 4 new starters in the secondary would be fine with me.  That's not stupid.  Swooping in to pick a fight about Hooker after not reading the comment is stupid.

As I said, he's fine.  I gave Bjorn Werner time to have an impact too, so I have no issues with allowing Hooker time to get into (not back into) form.  

Post what? 

In the needs for next season thread, I said among 4 other needs we need DBs who can tackle, which is what a zone defense needs.  That includes CBs and Ss, and getting 4 new starters in the secondary that would be fine with me.  That's not stupid.  Swooping in to pick a fight about Hooker after not reading the comment is stupid.

As I said, he's fine.  I gave Bjorn Werner time to have an impact too, so I have no issues with allowing Hooker time to get into (not back into) form.  

You're the absolute best at trying to change your story when someone calls you out you do it everytime lol 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Post what? 

In the needs for next season thread, I said among 4 other needs we need DBs who can tackle, which is what a zone defense needs.  That includes CBs and Ss, and getting 4 new starters in the secondary that would be fine with me.  That's not stupid.  Swooping in to pick a fight about Hooker after not reading the comment is stupid.

I know damn well your only "fine" with moving on cause you hated the pick said he was a reach and you were salty your boy Grigson was fired 

• Like 1

I have no problem in Hooker's ability to play when he's on the field, I have a problem in his ability to stay on the field. I'm worried that he will be injury-prone in some way for most of his career. As a 1st round pick, it's a lot more frustrating that he is turning out this way early, especially when the rest of the early picks in the 2017 draft haven't worked out.

12 minutes ago, Superman said:

It's easy. He's a first round pick who isn't lighting the world on fire. Blood in the water.

I personally view this year as a throwaway year for him. Coming back from an ACL and battling through other injuries all season is more than enough reason for me to be patient. But if he can't stay on the field and play well next year, it will be time to think about replacing him.

I think if he gets healthy , he will be a nice player for years. Coming off a horrible injury and playing in a different scheme combined with being injury riddled this year gives him all the excuses he needs and more. Pretty much what you have I guess.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Superman said:

It's easy. He's a first round pick who isn't lighting the world on fire. Blood in the water.

I personally view this year as a throwaway year for him. Coming back from an ACL and battling through other injuries all season is more than enough reason for me to be patient. But if he can't stay on the field and play well next year, it will be time to think about replacing him.

Finally some good insight thank you superman 

50 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Seeing more and more dumb posts about moving on from him or how hes not living up to his draft position. He's in basically his rookie freaking year coming off a torn ACL abd not even playing bad as far as I've seen. What's the deal?? Its getting old I guess since we are winning and look to be improving they had to find something new to complain about! Lol 

For some people it's guilt-by-association because he was Ballards' first ever draft pick and they wanted someone different.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Finally some good insight thank you superman 

Actually, good insight about the general atmosphere would also include the fact that many comments seem to suggest that his professional form was defined by 4 games his rookie season when he went up against an outdated Cardinal offense with a season-too-late-retired Carson Palmer, to name one game.  

There are a lot of comments that use the ACL as an excuse when he never really established a true base line of performance to judge.  He's been an unknown for his career.

There is no "getting BACK into form" because his body of work has never established a proper baseline performance to get back to.  Lets just hope he does what he was drafted to do and the scheme allows him enough opportunities for fans to notice.

Actually, good insight about the general atmosphere would also include the fact that many comments seem to suggest that his professional form was defined by 4 games his rookie season when he went up against an outdated Cardinal offense with a season-too-late-retired Carson Palmer.  

There are a lot of comments that use the ACL as an excuse when he never really established a true base line of performance to judge.  He's been an unknown for his career.

There is no "getting BACK into form" because his body of work has never established a proper baseline performance to get back to.  Lets just hope he does what he was drafted to do and the scheme allows it enough times for fans to notice.

We get it Doug lol

1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

It is called ArmChair GM

Haha :thmup:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

We get it Doug lol

Haha :thmup:

Are you agreeing or not? 

That comments about the ACL often are in the context of him "not RETURNING" to form, when his "form" is being defined as about 4 games as a rookie.

When hardly any fan ever defines any player's form in the history of the NFL as their first 4 games as a rookie,  Except Hooker.

Is that what you get or not?

14 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

It is called ArmChair GM

Actually, the majority of people on this forum either wanted Hooker, or were very happy with him when Ballard selected him at 15 last year in the draft, myself included. Before you bash the forum, make sure to know your facts. A lot of us are just lukewarm on him at the moment because of the sheer number of times he has gotten hurt and his inconsistency that he plays. Just because we bash him because of that doesn't mean we didn't support the pick. We have the same mindset as Ballard on this one. If we're right, he's right. If we're wrong, he's wrong as well. 

• Like 4

Bottom line is, Hooker needs to step up his game.

We all know he's been hurt. And he deserves a bit of credit for coming back from injury.

But I for one am sick of hearing how much talent and potential he has.

All the Malik Hooker pre-draft hype is of no value now.

And so far, in 2018 he hasn't done much. period.

Even undrafted George Odum was more visible in one game, than Hooker has pretty much been been throughout the whole season.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Bottom line is, Hooker needs to step up his game.

We all know he's been hurt. And he deserves a bit of credit for coming back from injury.

But I for one am sick of hearing how much talent and potential he has.

All the Malik Hooker pre-draft hype is of no value now.

And so far, in 2018 he hasn't done much. period.

Even undrafted George Odum was more visible in one game, than Hooker has pretty much been been throughout the whole season.

You practically rain on any parade I don't see how you continue to be a fan since every little thing bothers you...when hooker is on the field he's a difference maker but when he's not on the field it's oh stop overselling him he's not all that I swear some of ya'll won't be satisfied until the colts win a superbowl

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Ignore the nitwits.

They throw their cars away when the ashtray is full as well.

Some people just like to complain.  

They arent happy unless they are unhappy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I know damn well your only "fine" with moving on cause you hated the pick said he was a reach and you were salty your boy Grigson was fired 

Missed this. 

Actually, I thought Grigson probably would get fired and should have after he signed Dwayne Allen to the worse contract Grigson ever penned.  I then fully believed all of the comments about poor talent evaluation after I saw that signing and I figured he needed to go.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Actually, good insight about the general atmosphere would also include the fact that many comments seem to suggest that his professional form was defined by 4 games his rookie season when he went up against an outdated Cardinal offense with a season-too-late-retired Carson Palmer, to name one game.  

There is no "getting BACK into form" because his body of work has never established a proper baseline performance to get back to.  Lets just hope he does what he was drafted to do and the scheme allows him enough opportunities for fans to notice.

How about the fact that he's literally never been 100% healthy since before his last season in college? "Back into form" refers to the fact that he's been recovering from surgery and injury since before he was drafted.

And it's not a novel concept that a player with 15 career games would be an unknown.

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Actually, the majority of people on this forum either wanted Hooker, or were very happy with him when Ballard selected him at 15 last year

In all my projections, I had Hooker as the first safety off the board, somewhere in the top ten. I never expected him to last until #15, and once Barnett went at #14, it was a no brainer, IMO.

I'm concerned about his ability to stay on the field, and that's about it. He's a playmaker who finds the ball, he has elite range, and if he can get and stay healthy, he'll be a really good player for us. But that's a big "IF" at this point.

• Like 2

Lol. This time of year last year before he got hurt he was a DROY candidate and now all of sudden he's an unknown who's not impressing.

Some people in this market just love to eat their own. Happens with the Colts, Pacers, IU, ND etc. Just take a step back and let things play out.

Injuries happen in contact sports, nothing you can do about it. Doesnt take anything away from how highley regarded of a prospect he was.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Lol. This time of year last year before he got hurt he was a DROY candidate and now all of sudden he's an unknown who's not impressing.

Some people in this market just love to eat their own. Happens with the Colts, Pacers, IU, ND etc. Just take a step back and let things play out.

Injuries happen in contact sports, nothing you can do about it. Doesnt take anything away from how highley regarded of a prospect he was.

This this and more of this!!! it's like they think hooker just hurts himself at home on purpose so he wont have to play 

14 minutes ago, Superman said:

How about the fact that he's literally never been 100% healthy since before his last season in college? "Back into form" refers to the fact that he's been recovering from surgery and injury since before he was drafted.

And it's not a novel concept that a player with 15 career games would be an unknown.

Absolutely.  I think he is a complete unknown.  There is no all-pro form to return to, like some have said at times.  

Like Werner and Philip Dorset, I would give him time to show us what he's got, and certainly its common sense to think the knee has held him back.

However, I also don't think he was drafted to play in a zone defense per se, and his "Ed Reed" like ball hawking skills were more suited to Pagano's 34.

I certainly don't think he is a liability, and he's been just fine considering the circumstances.