Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Holder on Lewis

Fluke_33

Looks like the media will start riding the Colts band wagon again.  I guess the Jags have failed to excite and the other teams are what they have always been.

It appears they have determined that Luck is healthy again, so its been awhile since the Colts have been hyped.

6 hours ago, ClaytonColt said:

If Lewis is a good as they clearly believe he is then he could take this draft class from being pretty good one to a great one. We've got to remember that he's not a sure thing though and is probably something of a developmental project. 

"Pretty good" lol.

Two excellent starting lineman, possible super star LB, and that's just the first 3 picks. Lewis can never step on the field and this draft class is still so beyond "pretty good".

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Right, that was the one he did with Danely.  He did one by himself before that where he kept talking about Tyquan Smith.  

I had to check the roster to see if I was having a senior moment.  And I’m a Buckeye!

Perhaps.  If so I blame beer for any and all faults 

5 hours ago, ColtsLegacy said:

"Pretty good" lol.

Two excellent starting lineman, possible super star LB, and that's just the first 3 picks. Lewis can never step on the field and this draft class is still so beyond "pretty good".

Absolutely!  It's been a great draft already with two promising prospects that we haven't even seen yet ( Lewis and Caine) at positions we definitely want to upgrade.

Edited by wordofmouth

On 11/3/2018 at 4:38 PM, Fluke_33 said:

I was listening to Stephen holder on the stampede blue podcast.  He said the colts have been raving about tyquan Lewis to the extent that they are saying he will have a similar impact as Nelson and Leonard.   That sounds outlandish to me.  Those two were rookies of the month.  

Do we really have anothr waiting in the wings?  I’m loving this season as it is but can’t wait to see Lewis now too.  

I heard that Mathis has the high phrase for him too. But I haven't seen that anywhere in writing. 

23 hours ago, Fat Clemenza said:

I know two things:

1.  Ballard has been a straight shooter with pretty much everything he's said since day 1. Very little hype or misdirection or b.s.  

2.  After seeing the production and potential of the three picks before Lewis, ALL of whom were critiqued as being picked too high by various sources, I think most here will agree Ballard and the coaching staff has earned some benefit of the doubt. Lewis is getting more hype than Leonard did. Think about that.  So yeah I'm pumped and I don't apologize for the optimism! :goodluck:

I agree with you and if Mathis likes him I do too. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, jskinnz said:

Draft projections by the terminally clueless cannot be more meaningless.  Which is to say draft projections by anyone other than the teams are meaningless.

they cant be right about everything but that doesnt mean they are clueless

some players go a round or two higher or lower than they thought, but they are within a round on most of the day one and two guys 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

they cant be right about everything but that doesnt mean they are clueless

some players go a round or two higher or lower than they thought, but they are within a round on most of the day one and two guys 

So let me ask you this - do you think the fact that they had Lewis rated as a 6th rounder speaks more to them being clueless or that the Colts dramatically reached for him?

Honestly, it’s hard to believe that this draft class could look any better at the moment. With the exception of Fountain and Lewis, the rest of the picks look solid to downright special. If Lewis is half as good as the current hype, that would make this Colts draft historically great. 

• Like 1

Let us hope Lewis has a healthy 2nd half. And a productive one. 

A reminder from a bio. He used up all his eligibility. Much more experience than all these early departure ones.
 A strong lower body, good arm length and huge hands. And already very good fighting with his hands. This advances him 1-2 years ahead of most all of typical draft picks. Bring him on.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

So let me ask you this - do you think the fact that they had Lewis rated as a 6th rounder speaks more to them being clueless or that the Colts dramatically reached for him?

cant say right now.  if he does well, the colts will be proven right like they were with leonard.  if not then maybe the team was wrong. im not super high on him myself, but ive been wrong on rare occasions 

12 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

And others had him rated in the 4th rd of which you appear to be Clueless about.

It is ok because neither you or i really have a Clue. 

Just wondering if your favored source was one of the "they's" that had Leonard as a 4th rounder?

Probably, and did you trash that pick too? Of course you did. 

No matter. I hope you are well and are here the middle of next season when things will be much clearer to the upside. JMO of course.     

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 11:00 AM, jskinnz said:

Draft projections by the terminally clueless cannot be more meaningless.  Which is to say draft projections by anyone other than the teams are meaningless.

For what it is worth the "Clueless , Walters " had Leonard going in the second round at #51.

19 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

For what it is worth the "Clueless , Walters " had Leonard going in the second round at #51.

Actually there are at least 6-8 good sources that get the top 40 or so really well.
Then you start seeing a number of surprises. 

Thinking of Jerry taking what many said was an early 3rd rd prospect T Frederick in late rd 1.

That became a solid pick  for the Cowboys. 

On 11/4/2018 at 10:46 AM, hoosierhawk said:

Walters had him going in the 6th round in their mock draft but they are generally way off in their projections.

1 hour ago, hoosierhawk said:

My entire point is that a 4-round difference between when Lewis was projected to go and where he actually did is way too big a delta.  That tells me to side with the team.

40 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

My entire point is that a 4-round difference between when Lewis was projected to go and where he actually did is way too big a delta.  That tells me to side with the team.

No question the team makes the final decision. Mocks create interest but you don't take it a gospel. They also give you an idea as to the best prospects in the draft. I enjoy them but don't take them literally.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jskinnz said:

Probably somewhere in between?  NFL.com had him in Round 3-4...which is a bit closer to the middle of those. But then you have the OSU SB Nation blog writer ranking him as a 5th-6th round pick.

It's tough to know who gets the benefit of the doubt here. You can look at Leonard...but what about Basham? People gave Ballard the benefit of the doubt there and he was a bust in this defense. I mention Basham because he seems to be fairly similar to Lewis in a lot of ways.

One thing to keep in mind...Ballard places a LOT of value in the Senior Bowl and Shrine Game. It's a common theme across many of his picks...that they stood out. It will work in some cases...and in some it won't.

Leonard and Turay were two of those players. But in their case, most people had them as Day Two picks...and both Leonard and Turay have top-tier athleticism for their positions...which gives them a real nice floor to work with. And you can see them winning with that right now...Turay probably has one sack if not his speed and there is no way Leonard has as many tackles as he has with only "instincts" and not superb athleticism.

Personally, I am not as high on Lewis as other because I value athleticism (rightly or wrongly) above many other things. I watch tape of Rashan Gary and Lewis together...and Lewis looks like he is running in mud at times in comparison.

But Lewis isn't meant to be the final piece for the DL. He's just one of several in a deep rotation that needs as much talent as it can get. So hopefully he finds a role.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

No question the team makes the final decision. Mocks create interest but you don't take it a gospel. They also give you an idea as to the best prospects in the draft. I enjoy them but don't take them literally.

I find mock drafts to be efforts in futility but I read everyone I can find.  And like you said - they are not the gospel and should be taken with a large grain of skepticism.  As evidence,  Walters having Lewis rated 4 rounds lower than he actually went.

5 hours ago, Hoose said:

Honestly, it’s hard to believe that this draft class could look any better at the moment. With the exception of Fountain and Lewis, the rest of the picks look solid to downright special. If Lewis is half as good as the current hype, that would make this Colts draft historically great. 

We see what one really good draft did for the Saints. They basically had a great qb and great wr in Thomas...and that was it.....and look how great a draft turned that team around last year. If this draft turns out to be as legit as it seems. Next year we could be that turnaround team too.

7 hours ago, aaron11 said:

cant say right now.  if he does well, the colts will be proven right like they were with leonard.  if not then maybe the team was wrong. im not super high on him myself, but ive been wrong on rare occasions 

Far more often than rare.   Like all of us

• Like 1