Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Family discussion Brissett and 1st round pick for OBJ ?

HOF19

3 hours ago, teganslaw said:

No to OBJ. He's talented but not worth the headache. I don't see the Colts paying that kind of money. 

Especially since the Colts has only paid PM and freeney on his first contract. The Colts are known for not paying high value players. So what else is knew? Its not the players who ask for what they feel they deserve, its the ball club that doesn't want to pay them. So then you have a case like Khalil Mack going from Oak to Chi.

I'll even give you another example of the Colts not paying players. Remember that WR we wants had named Pierre Garcon? What happened with him? Im sure Garcon wasn't asking for huge money either. Or most recently Donte Moncreif.

6 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Interesting...  he seems to be a .500 QB with potential to get a bit better??

The guy is already on their roster and getting groomed...  Kyle Lauletta.  I expect him to replace Eli after the Giants bye week.

Bench Eli in NY?  You know what happened to the last coach who did that?  The NY papers would go crazy especially for Lauletta.  If they really want to move on from Eli their best bet is to trade him at the deadline if they want to avoid the mess it would cause by benching him.  They could then trade for Brissett at the same time and let him play out the year.  I think the Fans and media would swallow that a lot easier than just benching him.  

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That is all I am trying to say, if OBJ was Michael Irvin than I can buy some of his antics. He isn't! He hasn't really done anything great yet. I think OBJ is a great talent but a headache Andrew doesn't need IMO. 

Hasn't done anything great? This is an incorrect statement.

- Only player to start career with three straight seasons of 90-plus receptions and 1,300-plus receiving yards.

- One of eight players in NFL history with 300-plus receptions, 4,000 receiving yards, and 30-plus receiving touchdowns over their first four NFL seasons. OBJC did it in 13 fewer games than any other player (which is basically a season). Others on that list include Marvin Harrison, Larry Fitzgerald, A.J. Green, Mike Evans, Keyshawn Johnson, Andre Rison, Randy Moss.

- Fastest WR to 3,500 yards

- Fastest WR to 300 receptions

OBJ is a HOF talent. If not for his injury last season, he is on probably still on pace to break more records. As it stands, he is a soon-to-be 26 year-old elite WR heading into his prime. Colts should be all over that if he is actually available. 

Brissett + 1st round pick would be a great deal. You get OBJ right now...and the Colts probably don't lose again this season. But no way the NYG would go for that.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

Especially since the Colts has only paid PM and freeney on his first contract. The Colts are known for not paying high value players. So what else is knew? Its not the players who ask for what they feel they deserve, its the ball club that doesn't want to pay them. So then you have a case like Khalil Mack going from Oak to Chi.

I'll even give you another example of the Colts not paying players. Remember that WR we wants had named Pierre Garcon? What happened with him? Im sure Garcon wasn't asking for huge money either. Or most recently Donte Moncreif.

Colts have definitely paid players in the past. The Polian regime paid Manning (x2), Freeney, Mathis, Clark, Harrison (x2), Wayne, Sanders...and the Grigs regime paid TY, Vontae and Luck. The recent Colts teams just haven't had very much good homegrown talent.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

2 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Colts have definitely paid players in the past. The Polian regime paid Manning (x2), Freeney, Mathis, Clark, Harrison (x2), Wayne, Sanders...and the Grigs regime paid TY, Vontae and Luck. The recent Colts teams just haven't had very much good homegrown talent.

Nice try but I included Freeny and PM in my statement. And I mentioned that they didnt resign freeny on his last contract. TY received a nice contract but that is only what 5-7 players in like 13 years right? lol

So whats the excuse for Edge/Moncreif/ Garcon/ and any other available studs? The Colts do not like to pay players. They want everything for the cheap.It was a sad day when the Colts didnt give Edge the money that he deserved. Instead allowed him to go to ARI smh. The Colts owed that money to Edge no matter what anyone says. Why? let's just say that the same people on here who believes that Edge will make it into the HoF, didnt want to pay the guy. 

5 hours ago, DougDew said:

It won't happen because Collin is a better player either Dorsett or Brissett.

But if it did happen, you and many others would read it as some sort of Genius.

When in fact what it would say is that NFL teams, including BB, believe in positional value in that a WR with 4.3 speed, a marginally starter QB, and a top 10 S were all valued equally.

But if it did happen, you would have to come back & say "I was wrong," which in itself could be almost as great as acquiring Collins.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

Nice try but I included Freeny and PM in my statement. And I mentioned that they didnt resign freeny on his last contract. TY received a nice contract but that is only what 5-7 players in like 13 years right? lol

Freeney shouldn't have been paid another contract for multiple reasons.

So whats the excuse for Edge/Moncreif/ Garcon/ and any other available studs?

Any other studs???  Edge was a stud.  Garcon...not so much.  Moncrief...hardly lol

The Colts do not like to pay players. They want everything for the cheap.

They also paid Brackett.  They made Cherilus the highest paid RT in the game at the time.   They paid Landry.  The Colts/Irsay have no problem spending money..they just want to be smart about it (not that they're always smart about it..but that's their plan).

The Colts owed that money to Edge no matter what anyone says. 

The Colts don't "owe" any player a new contract based on previous years' production.  No team does.  That's the quickest way to destroy your team.  Polian pretty clearly had a plan...draft a RB high, let him play out his rookie contract and then draft another RB high as a replacement.   Therefore you're never paying big money to a RB.  I have no problem with that philosophy though I wouldn't be spending first round picks on any RBs unless the rest of the roster was near perfect.  Agree with the philosophy or not but that's pretty clearly what Polian was doing.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Bench Eli in NY?  You know what happened to the last coach who did that?  The NY papers would go crazy especially for Lauletta.  

That coach broke an unhurt QB's starting streak.

When Lauletta is ready, they'll make the switch, you'll see.  Gettleman and Shurmur fell in love with the guy at the Senior Bowl. Just not sure when that happens though. Before the year is done, it will.

If they really want to move on from Eli their best bet is to trade him at the deadline if they want to avoid the mess it would cause by benching him.  

They can't, Eli Manning has a 'No Trade' clause in his contract.  They would need his permission first.  Besides, who would even trade for Eli?

They could then trade for Brissett at the same time and let him play out the year.  I think the Fans and media would swallow that a lot easier than just benching him.  

Infinitesimally small chance of that.

28 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

- Only player to start career with three straight seasons of 90-plus receptions and 1,300-plus receiving yards.

- One of eight players in NFL history with 300-plus receptions, 4,000 receiving yards, and 30-plus receiving touchdowns over their first four NFL seasons. OBJC did it in 13 fewer games than any other player (which is basically a season). Others on that list include Marvin Harrison, Larry Fitzgerald, A.J. Green, Mike Evans, Keyshawn Johnson, Andre Rison, Randy Moss.

OBJ is a HOF talent. If not for his injury last season, he is on probably still on pace to break more records. As it stands, he is a soon-to-be 26 year-old elite WR heading into his prime. Colts should be all over that if he is actually available. 

Brissett + 1st round pick would be a great deal. You get OBJ right now...and the Colts probably don't lose again this season. But no way the NYG would go for that.

He's the most talented wide receiver in the league not named Julio Jones.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, J@son said:

Freeney shouldn't have been paid another contract for multiple reasons.

Any other studs???  Edge was a stud.  Garcon...not so much.  Moncrief...hardly lol

They also paid Brackett.  They made Cherilus the highest paid RT in the game at the time.   They paid Landry.  The Colts/Irsay have no problem spending money..they just want to be smart about it (not that they're always smart about it..but that's their plan).

The Colts don't "owe" any player a new contract based on previous years' production.  No team does.  That's the quickest way to destroy your team.  Polian pretty clearly had a plan...draft a RB high, let him play out his rookie contract and then draft another RB high as a replacement.   Therefore you're never paying big money to a RB.  I have no problem with that philosophy though I wouldn't be spending first round picks on any RBs unless the rest of the roster was near perfect.  Agree with the philosophy or not but that's pretty clearly what Polian was doing.  

If I am being honest...Freeney probably shouldn't have even seen the final year of that deal. His cap hit was $19M that year...and the Colts were cap-strapped after releasing Manning and others. I imagine part of why they kept him was gratitude for his earlier seasons.

I always sort of felt that Addai's re-signing in 2011 was more than just a football move. He was a RB in decline, coming off an injury-riddled season and entering his age 28 season. And they had just drafted another RB in Brown a couple years before. So re-signing Addai was not the typical type of move they would make. I think it could have been some combination of favor to Manning (who they were also trying to re-sign) and/or reward for Addai. Both players signed their deals on the same day.

Maybe not...it's just something I have always felt. It's something I could definitely see Irsay doing with his money. He loves the team and the popular players.

1 hour ago, shastamasta said:

Ok you got me here with nice facts statistically to back that he has a couple of Great years. I just don't think he's worth the headache and the team he has been on hasn't won anything big. He complains about everything as well. He reminds me of Terrell Owens attitude wise, IMO we just do not need the distraction chemistry wise. Others in here seem to think it will work, I don't. I think if he isn't getting the ball alot he will complain and moan eventually and it will hurt the team.

3 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

He's the most talented wide receiver in the league not named Julio Jones.

Yeah...he's incredible. And he's still young. You would basically get the prime of his career...age 26-29.

For reference...from age 26-29, Julio has 5,500+ yards (and he still has half a season to go in his age 29 season). His average AV (according to PFR) has been 15...and might even be higher this season.

Also...from age 26-29, Brown had 6,300+ yards and 44 TDs. His average AV (according to PFR) was 15.

Compare that to TY...who from age 26-28 (which included the season where he lead the league in receiving yards) has an average AV of 10. And that career season for TY was only an AV of 14...which is still below these other guys average season.

In OBJ's first three seasons...his average AV was 12. And that was with Eli throwing him the ball. With Luck at QB...I think he can be just as valuable and impactful as guys like Julio and Brown. He would be an absolute game-changer if the Colts got him.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Ok you got me here with nice facts statistically to back that he has a couple of Great years. I just don't think he's worth the headache and the team he has been on hasn't won anything big. He complains about everything as well. He reminds me of Terrell Owens attitude wise, IMO we just do not need the distraction chemistry wise. Others in here seem to think it will work, I don't. I think if he isn't getting the ball alot he will complain and moan eventually and it will hurt the team.

I get that...and those might be legit red flags. But some of that could be a product of being in NY. 

Ballard and Reich are building a culture that can potentially take in guys like this (Leveon Bell as well). Obviously Ballard would have to feel comfortable bringing him in before he would do it...but if he is...I would be ecstatic to have a player of that talent.

2 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

I get that...and those might be legit red flags. But Ballard and Reich are building a culture that can potentially take in guys like this (Leveon Bell as well). Obviously Ballard would have to feel comfortable bringing him in before he would do it...and if he is...I would be ecstatic to have a player of that talent.

I don't dispute OBJ's talent, he is probably the most talented WR in the league not name Julio. I am just not sure if he isn't another Owens. Owens put up big numbers and was a tremendous talent but every team he went to ended up having locker room problems. I just would hate to see that here. I may be way wrong thinking that way but I may be right too and the money we would be paying him is huge.

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The Golden Boy has won 5 SB's, OBJ hasn't won jackpoop. If a QB has won 5 SB's he can yell all he wants IMO.

Plenty of Tom’s tantrums came prior to his 4th & 5th rings. And let’s not act like he’s the sole reason the Pats have those 5 rings, & OBJ is the reason that the Giants haven’t won since ‘11. Both are completely untrue.

7 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Plenty of Tom’s tantrums came prior to his 4th & 5th rings. And let’s not act like he’s the sole reason the Pats have those 5 rings, & OBJ is the reason that the Giants haven’t won since ‘11. Both are completely untrue.

I never said OBJ is the reason why the Giants haven't won since 2011 but the fact is he hasn't helped them win anything big either was my point there. Brady never threw any tantrums that I can remember toward Coaches in his early days from 2001-2004, so he had 3 Rings at that point (not 4 or 5 yet) when he got in McDaniels face and few others faces. It's Tom Brady so if he yells at someone than I can overlook it, JMO.

Loves himself Mike Francesa of WFAN NY Radio had a caller yesterday actually ask him would he (Francesa) consider it a good move for the Giants to get Brissett. Francesa said if they where gonna do it now Brissett's the Giants best option (tradewise) in the ENTIRE NFL . (He feels Carr won't be traded till this winter ).

17 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I never said OBJ is the reason why the Giants haven't won since 2011 but the fact is he hasn't helped them win anything big either was my point there. Brady never threw any tantrums that I can remember toward Coaches in his early days from 2001-2004, so he had 3 Rings at that point (not 4 or 5 yet) when he got in McDaniels face and few others faces. It's Tom Brady so if he yells at someone than I can overlook it, JMO.

I don't get that rationale at all. You're basically saying that guys with multiple Super Bowl rings should get to act however they want without, while everyone else should tow the company line & keep their mouths shut. And it's not just coaches that he yells at, there are plenty of instances of him screaming obscenities at officials and putting them on the spot every time something doesn't go his way.

6 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I don't get that rationale at all. You're basically saying that guys with multiple Super Bowl rings should get to act however they want without, while everyone else should tow the company line & keep their mouths shut. And it's not just coaches that he yells at, there are plenty of instances of him screaming obscenities at officials and putting them on the spot every time something doesn't go his way.

I think you are missing my point. If a 5 time SB winning QB yells at someone a handful of times a year it's easy to overlook. It's not like Brady does it all the time. When a WR yells at someone or acts crazy throughout the season that hasn't won anything big, it's easy not to overlook it. Not really tough to understand in my eyes. Should Brady or anyone yell at a Coach, NO and I don't agree with it but when a player like Brady does it it's much easier to understand why he is doing it. I am not condoning what Brady has done but the guy is in the final 4 every year so he must know what he's talking about.

2 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

But if it did happen, you would have to come back & say "I was wrong," which in itself could be almost as great as acquiring Collins.

Not really.  Genius would be:  Seeing that Brissett, while on NE roster, would be worth the value of a present day Collins while BB thought he was worth only Dorsett.  So you trade Dorsett for Brissett knowing that you could then trade Brissett for something of higher value later because only you saw the talent when nobody else did.

That's not what happened.

What happened is that Brissett equaled Dorsett when they were traded, then Brissett played well enough to raise his own stock (and thereby the value to the NFL), to where teams around the NFL now value Brissett higher than they did before he played.

Who the GMs were when Dorsett and Brissett were traded is irrelevant.

Thank Brissett for playing well.  Which we knew he kinda would when BB drafted him.

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Not really.  Genius would be:  Seeing that Brissett, while on NE roster, would be worth the value of a present day Collins while BB thought he was worth only Dorsett.  So you trade Dorsett for Brissett knowing that you could then trade Brissett for something of higher value later because only you saw the talent when nobody else did.

That's not what happened.

What happened is that Brissett equaled Dorsett when they were traded, then Brissett played well enough to raise his own stock (and thereby the value to the NFL), to where teams around the NFL now value Brissett higher than they did before he played.

Who the GMs were when Dorsett and Brissett were traded is irrelevant.

Thank Brissett for playing well.  Which we knew he kinda would when BB drafted him.

You're totally right. I sometimes forget about the wholesale cynicism that's taken over our fanbase doesn't allow us to celebrate or enjoy anything that could be perceived as fun or positive when it comes to anything Colts, Chris Ballard, Jim Irsay, Frank Reich, Quenton Nelson, or hypothetical trade scenarios.

That's 100% my mistake.

5 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

You're totally right. I sometimes forget about the wholesale cynicism that's taken over our fanbase doesn't allow us to celebrate or enjoy anything that could be perceived as fun or positive when it comes to anything Colts, Chris Ballard, Jim Irsay, Frank Reich, Quenton Nelson, or hypothetical trade scenarios.

That's 100% my mistake.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to trade Brissett for Collins.  We can use better safety play.   I hope Brissett gets the opportunity (not by injury but by blow outs) to play even better and further elevate his value to the NFL.  

4 hours ago, shastamasta said:

No one doubts OBJ's talent, his first three seasons were special, but what has done since then?  He's been a problem.  This team isn't one player away from the Super Bowl, if it was, maybe you consider it.  But this team is going to have it's ups and downs until the talent is filled out and when it has it's downs, a player like OBJ will try to bring it further down.  

We have seen players like OBJ in the past, Terrell Owens, Randy Moss and Chad Johnson.   All very successful early on, but poor diva like attitudes overtook them.  Moss got his head on straight when he joined the Pats, but the other two eventually became lost causes.  Owens was good when his teams were winning and competitive, but once the losing started, he was a cancer.  Johnson was a great talent early in his career, but once his diva attitude became too big, he never returned to what he was and he had a chance on a good Patriots team.   

This team is too young and not ready to compete for a Super Bowl with or without OBJ.  There is no reason to risk destroying the lock room over a very talented player.  The Colts need to build this team the right way and I would much prefer waiting for sustained success than going all in and possibly having a much shorter window with potential disastrous after effects. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Corndog said:

No one doubts OBJ's talent, his first three seasons were special, but what has done since then?  He's been a problem.  This team isn't one player away from the Super Bowl, if it was, maybe you consider it.  But this team is going to have it's ups and downs until the talent is filled out and when it has it's downs, a player like OBJ will try to bring it further down.  

We have seen players like OBJ in the past, Terrell Owens, Randy Moss and Chad Johnson.   All very successful early on, but poor diva like attitudes overtook them.  Moss got his head on straight when he joined the Pats, but the other two eventually became lost causes.  Owens was good when his teams were winning and competitive, but once the losing started, he was a cancer.  Johnson was a great talent early in his career, but once his diva attitude became too big, he never returned to what he was and he had a chance on a good Patriots team.   

This team is too young and not ready to compete for a Super Bowl with or without OBJ.  There is no reason to risk destroying the lock room over a very talented player.  The Colts need to build this team the right way and I would much prefer waiting for sustained success than going all in and possibly having a much shorter window with potential disastrous after effects. 

I think it's unfair to already be comparing him to guys like Moss and TO. I haven't heard his teammates talk about him like that.

Also, Chad Johnson was 33 when got to NE. Of course he was a shell of himself.

This team might be too young this year...but OBJ is 25...he could be part of a competitive window for half a decade. When generational talent becomes available...you get it. The Bears aren't ready to win a Super Bowl...but Khalil Macks rarely become available.

I get the risks involved...but I think it's more than worth it to get a talent like OBJ. I think the situation in IND is much better than NY (the OL definitely is)...and I think the leadership and culture is strong enough that OBJ won't be a problem. Plus, winning cures all...and after all that is the ultimate goal of this team...to create a consistent winner. 

20 hours ago, a06cc said:

I disagree with what your saying about his attitude. Total wrong, because he truly cares about winning, That’s why you see him flipping out on the sidelines. I’ve also heard nothing about him being a lockroom problem. He is well respected around the league. 

That over reacting still creates a bad image. Most players should be all about winning in the NFl but your not suppose to act like a child. 

Also literally calling out your own teammates to the media is not a good locker room guy. It seems the other players just haven’t spoken out against him yet.

Hes a good player and I’m not saying he is a bad person. Just not a great team player.

1 hour ago, shastamasta said:

I think it's unfair to already be comparing him to guys like Moss and TO. I haven't heard his teammates talk about him like that.

Also, Chad Johnson was 33 when got to NE. Of course he was a shell of himself.

This team might be too young this year...but OBJ is 25...he could be part of a competitive window for half a decade. When generational talent becomes available...you get it. The Bears aren't ready to win a Super Bowl...but Khalil Macks rarely become available.

I get the risks involved...but I think it's more than worth it to get a talent like OBJ. I think the situation in IND is much better than NY (the OL definitely is)...and I think the leadership and culture is strong enough that OBJ won't be a problem. Plus, winning cures all...and after all that is the ultimate goal of this team...to create a consistent winner. 

I don't think it's unfair at all to compare him to Moss and TO.  He is doing the exact same thing they did, throwing his teammates under the bus to the media.  Unlike TO, who had Romo and McNabb, who were good QBs, Eli has declined terribly, but it's not professional.  If anything, Beckham might be lucky, because his attitude problems are being overshadowed by the dumpster fire of a team he plays for.  What happens when Luck doesn't throw to him when he's open and the Colts lose.  Luck is a nice guy, he will take the heat, but stuff like that divides the locker room.  

As far as Johnson being a shell of himself, he was declining the last few years with the Bengals, but I think that was more attitude induced than anything.  He was a Pro-Bowler for 3 years straight, then got too cocky and uncontrollable.   He went downhill quickly at 30 and while that can be old for the NFL, wide receivers tend to have a much longer shelf life than other positions. 

The Khalil Mack comparison, apples to oranges.   Oakland unloaded Mack because of his large contract, not his attitude or work ethic.  While the Bears aren't quite there yet(but pretty close, I say they are one of the best teams in the NFC), they are certainly a step ahead of the Colts, even before the trade.  

The Colts have plenty of positions to fill and a lot of work to do to get better.  Now if next year they are a respectable team that needs that one piece to get over the hump, moves like this might make sense.  But at this point, there are too many needs to go all in for a guy like Odell Beckham Jr. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Finball said:

On top of what @ColtsBlueFL the big problem with Eli benching was that it was for Geno Smith. It wasn't for a rookie, possible QBOF, it was for Geno Smith. Last year OBJ was injured and they had no Barkley. OL was even worse. than this year. But Eli is worse than last year.

E. Manning is not playing worse than last year, but in fact better. Yes, he is old and with the Giants now he in total rebuild mode, he is not ideal to stick much longer. Supporting cast has been the issue with Manning. This year he's been sacked (24) a lot. However, his play has been very good IMO. I don't see Brissett coming in and play better than Manning, if a trade happened.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/5526/eli-manning

On 10/25/2018 at 4:16 PM, Corndog said:

I don’t want him on this team. I’m however not going to let you talk about his character.