Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

So the Steelers want this for Bell....

needanoline63

On 9/30/2018 at 8:27 AM, needanoline63 said:

A 2nd round pick and a good player. I say our top 2nd and Mathias Farley

Just because they want it,  doesn't mean they're going to get it.

The chances of them getting that are very small unless some team gets desperate.    Odds are that won't be the Colts.

44 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

Bell is expected to report to Steelers during their week 7 bye. 

I think this has been his plan all along.   Report in time to get his year in and then hit FA.  Misses half a year and saves some wear and tear.   A trade could still happen but this news pretty much knocks a 2nd. rd. pick out of the deal for the Steelers.  I think he's burned his bridge with them.  I can see them trading him as soon as he signs and before the deadline.  We could have put in a lower offer than a second and this still could go down for the Colts.  We will know in a few weeks. 

By the way,  Bell now says he's reporting in week 7....   the Steelers bye week...   so he'll play 10 games for them.  

Here's the ESPN story....    it contains some surprises about what the Steelers might do with Bell next season.     Interesting read:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24863960/leveon-bell-report-steelers-week-7

39 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Uhhhh.....

There's a trade dealine.     And week 15 is well past it.

I think it's somewhere around week 6 or 8....

Trade deadline-

October 30, 2018 at 4:00 pm Eastern Time (New York)

37 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

By the way,  Bell now says he's reporting in week 7....   the Steelers bye week...   so he'll play 10 games for them.  

Here's the ESPN story....    it contains some surprises about what the Steelers might do with Bell next season.    

I have already predicted this in prior Bell threads-

... "they would transition tag him in 2019, which would set the stage for Bell to negotiate with other teams while Pittsburgh holds his rights. The 2019 transition tag number is expected to be more than $17 million."

Steelers let Bell get market value, negotiated by other teams.  Then match the deal (if they choose to do so) and he stays a Steeler at that contract value.

37 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don't think anybody can really question Bell's abilities, or shouldn't.  What they can question is if he's a good locker room fit and a team player.  As desperate as this team is for a running game, I seriously doubt CB is going to bring in anybody he doesn't feel fits in with the company line or any "me" guys, no matter how talented they may be. That's not his MO.

So the question is does Bell fit that profile?  I have my doubts.

1 hour ago, AZColt11 said:

I don't think anybody can really question Bell's abilities, or shouldn't.  What they can question is if he's a good locker room fit and a team player.  As desperate as this team is for a running game, I seriously doubt CB is going to bring in anybody he doesn't feel fits in with the company line or any "me" guys, no matter how talented they may be. That's not his MO.

So the question is does Bell fit that profile?  I have my doubts.

Ballard says any free agent must talk with Brian Decker first.  But no team can communicate with Bell right now, nor is any team willing to part with a high round draft pick and a good player for a 1/2 season rental.

I think Bell shows up in Steeltown at some point, finishes the year with Pittsburgh.  The Steelers use transition tag on him for 2019, and lets him talk freely to interested teams.  Depending upon the deal struck, either match it and keep him or let him walk.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Indyfan4life said:

Bell is expected to report to Steelers during their week 7 bye. 

And I know why... he needs 6 games full pay status to receive an accrued year, and serve the 2nd Franchise tag.  However, I ran across this nugget-

"The team can request a two-week roster exemption for Bell when he reports that allows the Steelers to not include him on their 53-man roster until he is activated."

There it is.  If he shows week 10, and Steelers file with the league for this exemption claining he's not in footbal shape and needs to be i n a 2 week program to get him in shape, he loses two weeks full pay status and his accrued season.  So come in week 7, thwart the Roster Exemption interfering in his accrued season plans.

• 3 weeks later...

I know the Bell trade speculation has been quiet for awhile but today I saw on TV two different commentators on two different networks mentioning Bell to the Colts at the deadline as still a possibility and they think we are a good landing spot for him.  Everyone is assuming he will just sign the tag and report and play for the Steelers but there is still speculation they want to move on from him.  The commentators like him with Luck because of Bells receiving abilities not just the running aspect.  I am looking forward to seeing what , if anything, we do by the deadline.  

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I know the Bell trade speculation has been quiet for awhile but today I saw on TV two different commentators on two different networks mentioning Bell to the Colts at the deadline as still a possibility and they think we are a good landing spot for him.  Everyone is assuming he will just sign the tag and report and play for the Steelers but there is still speculation they want to move on from him.  The commentators like him with Luck because of Bells receiving abilities not just the running aspect.  I am looking forward to seeing what , if anything, we do by the deadline.  

Who were the commentators?

My guess is that they were inserting their opinion on this trade idea with nothing based on information they've heard from sources.  You know why?  Because it ain't happening.  Keep beating that drum though.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2018 at 4:44 PM, Calmack said:

Im sure your reasoning is far more flawed than mine. Why compare averages from such a small sample size? And last I remember the player who gets the carries is the better player. Im not giving him a gold jacket. Just discussing with you and actually baffled how you can say he's average and then point to other players who don't even and shouldn't even be compared, due to various factors, as examples. This is actually entertaining seeing you try to justify your claim. 

Lol just read this. And yet still no one even interested in this amazing back. 

Also I'm comparing to the only backs who have been behind that oline. And oh look Conner even looks better now ROFL.

Also I never said he was average. He's just not worth a first round nor 14+ per year. 

On 9/30/2018 at 12:23 PM, rayski said:

Am I the only one around here who doesn't want Bell and also don't think he would be a good fit here?

You are not alone my friend.

Stand your ground.

Lucas oil stadium is a "No Diva" zone.

Its not surprising the Steelers are struggling with Bell, Bryant, and Big Ben all seemingly more about ME than WE.

I don't argue Bell's talent, just the drama.  it affects the whole team.  Same thing with Giants and OBJ.

We dont need to tie up 15 - 20 million a year  on  a RB.  

Plus, the miles on Bell's "tires" and his fondness for weed concerns me (especially at those cap numbers).

I also am very excited about the combo of Mack/Hines/Wilkens.

Bell or Mack/Hines/wilkens and $10+ Million more to spend on a WR or CB ir OT or EDGE?   I'll take the 2nd.

• Like 1

On 10/23/2018 at 5:24 PM, richard pallo said:

I know the Bell trade speculation has been quiet for awhile but today I saw on TV two different commentators on two different networks mentioning Bell to the Colts at the deadline as still a possibility and they think we are a good landing spot for him.  

They can't trade him until he signs the tender.   If/when he shows up and signs, it will be at 4:01 pm ET on Tuesday 10/30/2018 (or a bit later) and that takes all trade possibilities off the table. Period.

Everyone is assuming he will just sign the tag and report and play for the Steelers but there is still speculation they want to move on from him.  

Bell holds the cards on this, see above.  What he doesn't control is how much Steelers will pay him when they put him on a 2 week roster exemption.  Then he'll get his pay... for play.  And he needs 6 games.

The commentators like him with Luck because of Bells receiving abilities not just the running aspect.  I am looking forward to seeing what , if anything, we do by the deadline.  

Zero. Zip, Nada.  Nothing.

Again, see above.

On 10/23/2018 at 3:24 PM, richard pallo said:

You understand that if we trade for Bell we HAVE to sign him to a big expensive long term deal.   Trading for Bell would give him leverage.

So even if the Colts could land Bell for a 3...  then we’re talking about signing him to a deal if roughly 5/70 with roughly 35 mill guaranteed.

You think Ballard wants to do that now?   Do you think Irsay wants to do that now?    I think the chances are close to zero.

Talking heads don’t follow the Colts close enough to fully grasp what we’re doing.    They see the cap space and know we don’t have many weapons and think Bell to Indy makes sense.   It might in the short term.   It doesn’t in the long term.

See the Big Picture.   A Big Sexy Name Trade is highly unlikely to happen right now.    Doubtful it happens in the off-season.    Someday it will, but not now.

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You understand that if we trade for Bell we HAVE to sign him to a ... {snip}

We can't trade for a guy that hasn't signed his franchise tag tender. Nobody can.  Sometime after 4:01 pm ET on Tuesday, Bell will show up and sign his tender... and too late to be traded.

19 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

We can't trade for a guy that hasn't signed his franchise tag tender. Nobody can.  Sometime after 4:01 pm ET on Tuesday, Bell will show up and sign his tender... and too late to be traded.

Yes....   I understand...   my hypothetical assumed he signs his tender because his agent has been assured that the Colts will sign Bell. 

Sorry I wasn’t more clear...  

Bell could also be waiting until the deadline to see if a team he wants to go to steps up to the plate at the deadline and gives the Steelers what they want in compensation.  There already could be an offer but the Steelers are hoping to get more.  So the game of who blinks first begins.  If Bell doesn't like the destination he won't sign anyway.   Then there is also the possibility he signs after the deadline and the Steelers release him and are done with all the drama and decide to take the 3rd. rd. compensatory pick.  I don't think Ballard would trade for Bell unless he had assurances that they have a gentlemen's agreement, so to speak, in place with his agent before the trade is made. 

33 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Bell could also be waiting until the deadline to see if a team he wants to go to steps up to the plate at the deadline and gives the Steelers what they want in compensation.  There already could be an offer but the Steelers are hoping to get more.  So the game of who blinks first begins.  If Bell doesn't like the destination he won't sign anyway.   Then there is also the possibility he signs after the deadline and the Steelers release him and are done with all the drama and decide to take the 3rd. rd. compensatory pick.  I don't think Ballard would trade for Bell unless he had assurances that they have a gentlemen's agreement, so to speak, in place with his agent before the trade is made. 

I think the concept of doing business this way for Ballard went right out the window after the McDaniels crap.

Thank God it worked out that way because we ended up w Reich and he looks to be a legit building block for the future (yes I count some of the good coaches amongst building blocks like any good player).

Anyhow, back to the point:

Ballard got smoked by McDaniels by taking someone at their word.

I cannot see him making a move for Bell and giving up a pick based on Bell's word (which Bell has shown means nothing with his waffling on his reporting date that he has gone back on at least twice already).

Could Ballard sign him in the off-season if he wants him that badly? Sure.

But I cannot see him giving up a valuable pick for the same chance of signing him this off-season as everyone else.

Just my humble opinion though.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TomDiggs said:

I think the concept of doing business this way for Ballard went right out the window after the McDaniels crap.

{snip}

I cannot see him making a move for Bell and giving up a pick based on Bell's word (which Bell has shown means nothing with his waffling on his reporting date that he has gone back on at least twice already).

{snip}

^^^  In a nutshell  ^^^

Hard pass

I'm not even all that sold on Bell being a great RB.  Every RB seems to put up big numbers while playing for the Steelers.  

Bell was hurt or suspended or something and the Steelers started Deangelo Williams and he put up big numbers.  Then Bell decides to hold out and they start James Conner and he's putting up big numbers.  

9 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Hard pass

I'm not even all that sold on Bell being a great RB.  Every RB seems to put up big numbers while playing for the Steelers.  

Bell was hurt or suspended or something and the Steelers started Deangelo Williams and he put up big numbers.  Then Bell decides to hold out and they start James Conner and he's putting up big numbers.  

I don't think he's among the top runners in the game but it's his dual threat abilities that put him (arguably) above every other RB. Williams and Conner aren't/were not as good receivers. Conner has been good enough though that I don't think the Steelers will miss Bell a and his #14-15M per year price tag.

12 hours ago, TomDiggs said:

Thank God it worked out that way because we ended up w Reich and he looks to be a legit building block for the future (yes I count some of the good coaches amongst building blocks like any good player).

Anyhow, back to the point:

Could Ballard sign him in the off-season if he wants him that badly? Sure.

But I cannot see him giving up a valuable pick for the same chance of signing him this off-season as everyone else.

Just my humble opinion though.

I agree for the most part.  Waffling on his report date is no biggie to me.  He's using all of the leverage he has.  The more he ticks off the Steelers the more likely he is moved.  The big difference IMO is that it looks like he wants to play for the Colts.  His affinity for the team is obvious from all of his tweets and comments concerning the Colts.  I certainly am not the only one to point this out.  If an agreement could be reached I think the likelihood of him backing out is about zero.  Just my take of course.