Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eagles offense minus Frank Reich

ColtStrong2013

I know it is the season opener, and teams often struggle a bit to start, but man the Eagles offense doesn't look like the same unit that torched in the SuperBowl just 7 months ago. Playcalling is suspect to open the game with a superbowl MVP under center. 

I have great hope that Frank played a bigger role in gameplanning/preparation and playcalling than he was ever given credit for. Can you imagine how quickly the tune will change on the 2018 Colts if our offense comes out Sunday well prepared, well thought out game plan/adjustments, brilliant playcalling, and Andrew Luck firing on all cylinders? 

HIGH HOPES. DON'T @ ME. 

Thoughts though.?

• Like 4

I actually think their offense has looked pretty similar. I don't mean that as a negative, or that Reich didn't have anything to do with their success. I just think the league's had longer to scout their offense and more specifically their Nick Foles led offense, not to mention they've just not been playing that well.

8 minutes ago, tweezy32 said:

Maybe they should put in ajayi more and use him actually.  Don't know why there not using him really.. 

And I have him on my fantasy team so I'm kinda t'd off

Agreed. That's a big component of game planning, and it just seems off to me tonight. 

Again hopeful thinking on my part that they are missing Frank to start the season...

7 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I actually think their offense has looked pretty similar. I don't mean that as a negative, or that Reich didn't have anything to do with their success. I just think the league's had longer to scout their offense and more specifically their Nick Foles led offense, not to mention they've just not been playing that well.

They have struggled all preseason on offense. I'm not sure it's a credit to defenses, as most offenses are kept vanilla. It's more of an execution standpoint, but execution is only consistent if the preparation/planning is on point in this league. I just don't see it to start in this game. 

I also realize there was a weather delay, and that affects everybody. 

#hopefulthinkingfrankreichisagenius

17 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Foles is not Wentz. 

Yeah...

Except I didn't say that he was or anything like that. I said they dont look the same as they did in the superbowl... or the other 2 playoff games for that matter. And if you remember, the quarterback was... drum roll... Nick Foles, not Wentz. 

Nick Foles also said that Frank was instrumental in prepping him especially in film. 

• Like 1

Who's going to thread police this first? 

Week 1. The real preseason. This game is basically unwatchable so far. And Foles is adding to his legacy in an odd way. What a fluke, him beating Brady in a SB where he throws for 500 yards and doesn't punt once. It was weird when it happened and it's going to seem weirder as we see more Foles. Maybe Reich set him up in that Clockwork Orange set up and made him watch his comeback against the Oilers over and over and brainwashed him that he could do it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Foles is a good QB I think it was his rookie year he tied the record for most touchdowns thrown in a game at 7, but he needs a rock solid O line to get it done.  I really think he gets scared to get hit kinda like Brady, hit him a few times and his game is off. 

Foles is way overrated.  He’s way too inconsistent. He caught fire in the playoffs last year but I doubt he can lead a team for 16 games and onto a championship. Good backup.  But as soon as you start believing in him & depending on him for long stretches, reality sets in and the average QB he is shows himself. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dodsworth said:

Foles is a Superbowl winning Quarterback.....but so is Namath, Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer.

Foles doesn't belong in a discussion with those three. Foles had to be perfect for Philly to win against the Pats, and that he was. Those three benefitted from great defenses and lead from start to finish. Poor observation.

7 hours ago, MPStack said:

Foles doesn't belong in a discussion with those three. Foles had to be perfect for Philly to win against the Pats, and that he was. Those three benefitted from great defenses and lead from start to finish. Poor observation.

Foles didn't come out of nowhere. It's not like the Eagles dropped Scott Tolzien in there during the playoffs and he played supernaturally out of nowhere.

Foles was a starter in this league and had a season where he played mvp-ish had he played the entire season. 2013 Eagles compl. 64.0, yards 2,891, TD 27, int 2, Qbr119.2

Everyone knew he had skills to play. He was just inconsistent game to game.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

Foles didn't come out of nowhere. It's not like the Eagles dropped Scott Tolzien in there during the playoffs and he played supernaturally out of nowhere.

Foles was a starter in this league and had a season where he played mvp-ish had he played the entire season. 2013 Eagles compl. 64.0, yards 2,891, TD 27, int 2, Qbr119.2

Everyone knew he had skills to play. He was just inconsistent game to game.

He is a system QB. Put him in the right system and he excels. I'd take Foles over half the starters currently in the league.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That game did look identical tonight. I think what surprised everyone is that they put up 41 on the Patriots, it did me anyway.

Lightening in a bottle?  And like you say, it was pretty much a replay of last year's playoff game.

12 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Btw, 

Nick Foles numbers in the NFC Championship game 

26-33  78.79%   352yards 3 TDs 0 Interceptions 141.4 qb rating.

And in the SuperBowl against Bill Bellichick...

28-43. 65.12%  373 yards 3 touch downs 1 interception 106.1 qb rating

AND  the philly special touchdown reception to boot. 

Not bad for someone who isn't Wentz. 

He (Foles) played well last year in the run he had but .... 

there is a reason they drafted Wentz. 

Winning is winning though, so if he continues to win why would you mess with that .... right?

2 hours ago, MPStack said:

He is a system QB. Put him in the right system and he excels. I'd take Foles over half the starters currently in the league.

Foles is solid. If Luck hadn’t made it back...I would have been all for the Colts signing him to play with Reich again. And I think that is what would have happened.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Foles is solid. If Luck hadn’t made it back...I would have been all for the Colts signing him to play with Reich again. And I think that is what would have happened.

He wasn't a free agent. and from reports that I have read during the off season the Eagles were wanting to much for Foles in a trade.

13 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Agreed. That's a big component of game planning, and it just seems off to me tonight. 

Again hopeful thinking on my part that they are missing Frank to start the season...

So you think the Eagles playbook has changed? I would say only tiny adjustments.
What i saw was Atlanta defenders anticipating well and playing really good D.
The same with the Eagles D.   BOTH are top SB contenders with Many really good players.
 The Bengals D won't be as good, but our miss mash of all NEW with inexperienced players and a limited Lucky SHOULD make their D look very good. 

20 minutes ago, Deadpool said:

He wasn't a free agent. and from reports that I have read during the off season the Eagles were wanting to much for Foles in a trade.

Total speculation of course, but those same reports said they talked to Foles about what he wanted and he was OK to stay as a backup. But they still seemed to have made him available.
 Under the scenario of Lucky having retired, Reich coming here and wanting Foles, and Foles asking to be trade here, i think they would have rewarded him with their thanks, and could have taken something less than what the rumors were.  Brissett may have been a valuable pawn in their asking price.   
 We are ok and Lucky is no doubt putting all he has into developing into the best he can be.
 He will be better in year two and beyond.

Meh. Let's see what Foles looks like next week before deciding their offense is falling apart. Against Atlanta last year in the playoffs, off a bye week, with Reich in the building, the Eagles struggled to score points. Might just be a matchup issue with the Falcons defense. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

So you think the Eagles playbook has changed? I would say only tiny adjustments.
What i saw was Atlanta defenders anticipating well and playing really good D.
The same with the Eagles D.   BOTH are top SB contenders with Many really good players.
 The Bengals D won't be as good, but our miss mash of all NEW with inexperienced players and a limited Lucky SHOULD make their D look very good. 

Are you putting words into my mouth? Because it looks to me like you are putting words into my mouth. 

I not once said their playbook changed nor did I say anything about their playbook. I said their gameplanning looked off and their playcalling was suspect. That's literally all. 

But yes, I agree that Atlanta's defense played very well. Tight coverage all game long. 

...to keep this relevant to the Indianapolis Colts and Frank Reich so it doesn't get moved over to the NFL section, I ask this question and expect full participation:

Which aspects of Philly's offense do you like, and expect Frank to carry over and utilize here? RPO's (lord help us if we are on national television with cris collinsworth's amazing commentary)?  

18 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I know it is the season opener, and teams often struggle a bit to start, but man the Eagles offense doesn't look like the same unit that torched in the SuperBowl just 7 months ago. Playcalling is suspect to open the game with a superbowl MVP under center. 

I have great hope that Frank played a bigger role in gameplanning/preparation and playcalling than he was ever given credit for. Can you imagine how quickly the tune will change on the 2018 Colts if our offense comes out Sunday well prepared, well thought out game plan/adjustments, brilliant playcalling, and Andrew Luck firing on all cylinders? 

HIGH HOPES. DON'T @ ME. 

Thoughts though.?

Eagles offense will look better once Jeffery returns from injury

5 hours ago, Superman said:

Meh. Let's see what Foles looks like next week before deciding their offense is falling apart. Against Atlanta last year in the playoffs, off a bye week, with Reich in the building, the Eagles struggled to score points. Might just be a matchup issue with the Falcons defense. 

The Falcons' D choke the middle real well in pass coverage, remember how well they played the Patriots in the SB till the Patriots started using James White for pass catching on wheel routes and other stuff. I am not surprised Foles caught a pass like an RB on a wheel route like play for him.

25 minutes ago, chad72 said:

The Falcons' D choke the middle real well in pass coverage, remember how well they played the Patriots in the SB till the Patriots started using James White for pass catching on wheel routes and other stuff. I am not surprised Foles caught a pass like an RB on a wheel route like play for him.

And on an effective misdirection play, no less. Good point. 

3 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Are you putting words into my mouth? Because it looks to me like you are putting words into my mouth. 

I not once said their playbook changed nor did I say anything about their playbook. I said their gameplanning looked off and their playcalling was suspect. That's literally all. 

But yes, I agree that Atlanta's defense played very well. Tight coverage all game long. 

Well how about Frank making the difference of no Alshon Jeffery, LeGarrett Blount, Brent Celek, and Trey Burton.
 These guys may have executed the plays better than their replacements.   :thinking:
 No, more than likely Pederson had a solid game plan and his play calling was again, very good.
  You are going to be very unhappy Sunday. JMO of course. Go Colts

3 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Well how about Frank making the difference of no Alshon Jeffery, LeGarrett Blount, Brent Celek, and Trey Burton.
 These guys may have executed the plays better than their replacements.   :thinking:
 No, more than likely Pederson had a solid game plan and his play calling was again, very good.
  You are going to be very unhappy Sunday. JMO of course. Go Colts

You obviously missed out on me repeatedly saying sarcastically, "hopeful thinking."

There were a lot of variables in the game of why they struggled offensively comparative to Super Bowl Sunday. Frank not involved is just one small difference in the two games. 

I'm not going to be disappointed Sunday, I can assure you that. I get to spend time with my family at Lucas Oil Stadium and watch #12 play his first real football game in 20 months. I will be happier than a hog in crap. 

7 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

RPO's (lord help us if we are on national television with cris collinsworth's amazing commentary)?  

i bet we will try it, but it wont do much if no one respects our running game

eagles were  a top 5 rushing team