Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pat McAffee Story in IndyStar

Steamboat_Shaun

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Pat has the right to tell his story. If people don't like it that's their problem, not Pats. I support him 100%. The truth never changes. 

It's a good story, but the timing is an obvious plot for Pat to make headlines. He is a failed comedian, and the only way he gets attention is by talking about the Colts. 

Wow, hating Grigson has become a religion around here, and finding any passage from anybody who will support that, no matter what loser says it, becomes cherished.  (Comments not supporting the hate deserve a public stoning)

Even when criticizing Pat, the religion is so strong comments must work in the caveat that they're not defending Grigson.  Wow, what brainwashing.

Like a typical social media millennial loser, Pat latches on to some public narrative rooted in falsehoods and feelgoodism, and spreads it to gather favor among the masses.   The substance of which is over two years old, LOL

"Please like me, I'm one of you". 

I bit more objective:

So the punter tells the GM that he's paying the QB $140m and its his fault the QB isn't healthy (which isn't even correct).   Only kindness from the GM, and a levelheaded approach that he understand he's a good punter, keeps the GM from firing him on the spot.

Yes, this sounds like the attitude of a millenial.  Knows nothing.  Thinks they know everything.  And if someone behaves outwardly in a negative way, and makes him play by the rules, well then that guy's probably a fascist.  

As I've said many times.  As a punter, he was a character because he did some things on the field others wouldn't.  When not punting, he's a loser.  Sounds like one, acts like one, is one.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Wow, hating Grigson has become a religion around here, and finding any passage from anybody who will support that, no matter what loser says it, becomes cherished.  (Comments not supporting the hate deserve a public stoning)

Even when criticizing Pat, the religion is so strong comments must work in the caveat that they're not defending Grigson.  Wow, what brainwashing.

Like a typical social media millennial loser, Pat latches on to some public narrative rooted in falsehoods and feelgoodism, and spreads it to gather favor among the masses.   The substance of which is over two years old, LOL

I bit more objective:

So the punter tells the GM that he's paying the QB $140m and its his fault the QB isn't healthy (which isn't even correct).   Only kindness from the GM, and a levelheaded approach that he understand he's a good punter, keeps the GM from firing him on the spot.

Yes, this sounds like the attitude of a millenial.  Knows nothing.  Thinks they know everything.  And if someone behaves outwardly in a negative way, and makes him play by the rules, well then that guy's probably a fascist.  

As I've said many times.  As a punter, he was a character because he did some things on the field others wouldn't.  When not punting, he's a loser.  Sounds like one, acts like one, is one.

Well said. A player breaking clearly defined team rules gets scolded by the boss, and the boss is the bad guy? If Pat really cursed out Pagano, which I don't believe, Pat is an even bigger tool than I thought. Chuck is a class guy, and you don't curse out people with class. Except if you have no class, like Mcafee

6 hours ago, Superman said:

Nah, that's not it. This isn't a millennial thing, it's an entitlement thing. Not all millennials act entitled, despite the popular narrative. They are perfectly capable of being professional in the workplace, and I know that firsthand.

It's also not old fashioned to expect and require professionalism in the workplace. Storming into a supervisor's office and cussing them out because of a bad exchange with someone else is not acceptable in any context. Doesn't matter what generation they belong to. 

6 hours ago, Superman said:

Also, the whole 'I don't want to make money for them anymore' angle is pretty laughable. Even if Pat was bringing in a significant amount of money for the Colts -- and I'm pretty sure he wasn't -- that would be the definition of cutting off your nose to spite your face, which is petty and immature. 

Again, not a defense of Grigson. Sounds like he deserved to be told off, cussed out, etc. 

It seems like you're contradicting yourself, did Grigson deserve to be cussed out or not.  If true Grigson over reacted to a picture and Pat had had enough.  It's not like this is the first reported incident between the two, didn't Grigson tell Pat that the only reason he was on the team was Irsay told Grigson he had to keep Pat?  None of these stories have been refuted by anyone else as far as I know.  Grigson seems like he was a difficult person to get along with.  Pat told him off and decided to retire because he had options, good for him, that is not cutting your nose off to spite your face.

I had a boss that was a total jerk, one day I had enough and told him off.  He ended up leaving the company and I ended up with a better boss.  Also, you better believe I told other managers about the incident with my boss, I didn't want them only to hear his side of the story.  I have no problem with telling the story to anyone, the only difference is that the Indy Star isn't interested in writing a story about that interaction with my ex-boss.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I bit more objective:

27 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

Well said. A player breaking clearly defined team rules gets scolded by the boss, and the boss is the bad guy? If Pat really cursed out Pagano, which I don't believe, Pat is an even bigger tool than I thought. Chuck is a class guy, and you don't curse out people with class. Except if you have no class, like Mcafee

Wow, and here I thought that it was just football that you two knew nothing about.  My bad.

• Like 1

first and foremost Pat is a comedian his job is to get listeners listen to his podcast. this is a story that should have been told anyway it shows the kind of person that Grigson actually is. I appreciate this kind of detail coming from inside the Colts organization. we don't need complete transparency inside the team but it's important know the kind of man we had that was the general manager 

I've always liked Pat and enjoyed seeing him on the field. However, he is looking a little childish here. I'm sure he's been holding in a lot of details over his time of leaving the Colts and the whole Barstool thing probably made him feel it was okay to elaborate more about his relationship with Grigson. If there's a policy about not taking photos or videos inside Colts facility, why do it anyway and be a smart butt about it when you're questioned about it? Would it have went better if Irsay sat him down instead of Grigson? Maybe. Then to tell Chuck to go F himself. Wow man, Pat needs to cool his jets and rethink his actions. There's a way to "right" yourself when you think you're being disrespected and it's not to be disrespectful back. I think Pat should swallow his ego a little bit and keep going.

17 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

first and foremost Pat is a comedian his job is to get listeners listen to his podcast. this is a story that should have been told anyway it shows the kind of person that Grigson actually is. I appreciate this kind of detail coming from inside the Colts organization. we don't need complete transparency inside the team but it's important know the kind of man we had that was the general manager 

Yep.   I'm with Pat.  

This story screams of revisionist history.   I highly doubt that is the way it all happened with pat controlling both conversations with Rg and cp.   

im sure there are kernels of truth strewn throughout but I would think both sides made points during their talks.   And I bet some of the things pat claims he said are more what he wish he said.  

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Thanks for your comments, Reverend.  I'll try to think differently.

HALLELUJAH!   PRAISE THE BALLARD!

You're welcome.  However, I have serious doubts about your ability to make any positive changes.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Wow, hating Grigson has become a religion around here

Can I be the minster of this church? He was absolutely gawd awful. I'd use a string of obscenities if we could. Bad at his job doesn't even begin to describe it. He drove this franchise into the ground, thinking he was doing a bang up job.

Pat was right, this forum aside from a few hanger ons was right. The football universe outside of Indy was right. Grigson deserves nothing short of ire, if you're a Colts fan. He sucks and sucks hard.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Can I be the minster of this church? He was absolutely gawd awful. I'd use a string of obscenities if we could. Bad at his job doesn't even begin to describe it. He drove this franchise into the ground, thinking he was doing a bang up job.

Pat was right, this forum aside from a few hanger ons was right. The football universe outside of Indy was right. Grigson deserves nothing short of ire, if you're a Colts fan. He sucks and sucks hard.

And now he's gone. 

If you want to dig up old passages to maintain the validation, told by Pastor Pat,  be my guest.  I like old stories that help spread positive vibes, not animus and vengeance.

27 minutes ago, DougDew said:

And now he's gone. 

If you want to dig up old passages to maintain the validation, told by Pastor Pat,  be my guest.  I like old stories that help spread positive vibes, not animus and vengeance.

Fine, but it doesn't invalidate the story. I like cookies? So what? Edit, let me try this, that's probably a bit too snarky.. The story of the Colts under Grigson wasn't positive. It sucked and ignoring it (given the team is in the throws of fixing exclusively Grigson's handiwork) or rewriting the teams history from something other than Luck is an overachiever who had little help (Grigson, no?) isn't accurate. 

• Like 1

Not sure what Pat did wrong here except maybe going after Chuck.

Other then that he was taking advantage of the luxury of being in a position where if the boss fired him he had enough money to live on the rest of his life.

Most of us have to put up with it if the boss decides to be a jerk even if it's unfair because we need the money.

Pat had the money to live on the rest of his life.  So if the boss is being a jerk to him unfairly, he had the freedom to treat the boss in kind.

• Like 1

Just now, Pacergeek said:

What makes the narrative interesting is that two losers are feuding. Grigson is a failed GM. Pat is a failed comedian

Is it even a feud if Grigson stays mum about the whole thing? 

I can't recall him ever outright stating anything about Pat in public...

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I find this thread fascinating.      

I shortened it because it was a mouthful lol.

I completely agree.  It's apparent that alot of people here haven't been exposed to the work environment that these guys are in.  Are they egotistical? YES of course. When you are the best at what you do and continue to prove it all the way up to the professional level you do have an ego.  A strong one at that it's necessary in order to survive in the professional sports world. 

As far as the topic is concerned I highly doubt everything Pat said is true. This is probably more of what he wish he'd said but we also have to remember we are at the end of his story.  Not the beginning.  This wasn't the first time they had butted heads and people with egos who butt heads eventually blow up.  It is what it is. 

Y'all can claim entitlement or what not but let's not act like McAfee was any old punter.  He was the best in the league and pretty much the entirety of his body of work proves that.  He most definitely was a key part to the org and I'm sorry but when you have an org with so little talent like we did (because grigson wasn't that great at his job) then you have to value the little talent you have.  If this was a QB I bet half of the complaints would be washed away because of his "importance" to the club. 

Either way it's entertaining regardless if he's trying to save the little limelight he has left or if it's just spite to a terrible boss. Heck I'd probably do the same. No reason to get a personal opionion on him.  Just read it laugh and move on. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Fine, but it doesn't invalidate the story. I like cookies? So what? Edit, let me try this, that's probably a bit too snarky.. The story of the Colts under Grigson wasn't positive. It sucked and ignoring it (given the team is in the throws of fixing exclusively Grigson's handiwork) or rewriting the teams history from something other than Luck is an overachiever who had little help (Grigson, no?) isn't accurate. 

So what?  What is the point of rehashing the story by Pat now, or the IndyStar, if it isn't to validate some opinion (or some previously written negative article).  The same opinion, over and over and over. Why the need to keep it going?  

Do we need it as a backdrop to support the current narrative?  That, oops, golden boy Ballard might take longer than we hoped, so we need to spread the idea that his roster is the victim of the really bad predecessor?  (yes, that's why) (and it isn't).

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

So what?  What is the point of rehashing the story by Pat now, or the IndyStar, if it isn't to validate some opinion (or some previously written negative article).  The same opinion, over and over and over. Why the need to keep it going?  

Do we need it as a backdrop to support the current narrative?  That, oops, golden boy Ballard might take longer than we hoped, so we need to spread the idea that his roster is the victim of the really bad predecessor?  (yes, that's why) (and it isn't).

Careful......

Your TRUE feelings are showing.   This thread has NOTHING to do with Ballard.    And you had to go and bring up “golden boy “.

There was no need to...   and yet you did.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Surge89 said:

Y'all can claim entitlement or what not but let's not act like McAfee was any old punter.  He was the best in the league and pretty much the entirety of his body of work proves that.  He most definitely was a key part to the org and I'm sorry but when you have an org with so little talent like we did (because grigson wasn't that great at his job) then you have to value the little talent you have.  If this was a QB I bet half of the complaints would be washed away because of his "importance" to the club. 

But the punter was essentially telling the GM he sucks at evaluating other talent, because he accused him of causing the QB to get hurt.  It doesn't matter if he's right or wrong, how does the punter feel like its his right to tell the GM that he sucks at his job?

Entitled is a word that explains somethings.  But crazy or drunk would explain this.

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I'm not a worship Ballard poster but cmon.  We all know why this article came out and it had nothing to do with Ballard.  It's a combination of Pat getting some limelight and some easy clicks for IndyStar due to the name and the nature of the article. 

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I don't think it's even to support a narrative. 

I think there's a mob mentality thing going on. Negativity is breeding like rabbits these days. 

Ballard shouldn't be held up on a pedestal yet, I agree with that. I can also agree that the Grigson shtick needs to whimper off. 

I guess a lot of us are upset with life in general, and it's pooling into the fandom?  

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Careful......

Your TRUE feelings are showing.   This thread has NOTHING to do with Ballard.    And you had to go and bring up “golden boy “.

There was no need to...   and yet you did.

Rehashing that Grigson was bad two years ago actually goes to the heart of the matter.    It provides cover for those who believe Ballard has been burdened.

2 minutes ago, Surge89 said:

I'm not a worship Ballard poster but cmon.  We all know why this article came out and it had nothing to do with Ballard.  It's a combination of Pat getting some limelight and some easy clicks for IndyStar due to the name and the nature of the article. 

That's fine.  It might not be the purpose of why it was ran by the star, but it IS the reason the subject continues to get clicks.

Just now, DougDew said:

But the punter was essentially telling the GM he sucks at evaluating other talent, because he accused him of causing the QB to get hurt.  It doesn't matter if he's right or wrong, how does the punter feel like its his right to tell the GM that he sucks at his job?

Entitled is a word that explains somethings.  But crazy or drunk would explain this.

Again your comparison is to that of a normal person in the workplace.  McAfee was making them a ton of money and had a lot of appeal due to the ineptness of the GM to put anything else on the field.  So of course the one guy who is succeeding in a time of a ton of fail (despite who's fault it is) will be egotistical and entitled. Especially if he's been putting up with it for a while.  These guys are full of ego!!!!

Either way they are professionals. McAfee can have whatever opinion of grigson that he wants and it's not his fault that grigson is just proving that opinion by putting together a roster who couldn't steal the limelight from a punter...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

That's fine.  It might not be the purpose of why it was ran by the star, but it IS the reason the subject continues to get clicks.

I mean people are gonna take whatever they can to justify what they want regardless of what articles are out there.

Is it gonna be ammo to give Ballard a longer time? Yes probably. But it won't change whatever results Ballard gets from his actions excused or not. 

12 minutes ago, Surge89 said:

Agreed I think Pat fell into a trap

I have a feeling that this will be run in several Gannett Newspapers

1 minute ago, Surge89 said:

Again your comparison is to that of a normal person in the workplace.  McAfee was making them a ton of money and had a lot of appeal due to the ineptness of the GM to put anything else on the field.  So of course the one guy who is succeeding in a time of a ton of fail (despite who's fault it is) will be egotistical and entitled. Especially if he's been putting up with it for a while.  These guys are full of ego!!!!

Either way they are professionals. McAfee can have whatever opinion of grigson that he wants and it's not his fault that grigson is just proving that opinion by putting together a roster who couldn't steal the limelight from a punter...

Or maybe it was simply Pat's animus because Grigson got into a contract dispute with him long before this incident.  (and here we are with Robergto doing a good job)

Professional?  Pat supposedly tells Ryan the exact same thing that's floating around social media....that Grigson is causing Luck to get injured.  I see it as simply an immature dig because he knew he was about to get disciplined.      

32 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Do we need it as a backdrop to support the current narrative?  That, oops, golden boy Ballard might take longer than we hoped,

To your first point. Why any stories or history? What good is that? That's your argument? Really? 

There's an agenda here. Ok, I get it. I didn't know there was Grigson fans. Weird. Why? (nevermind, don't answer that)

22 minutes ago, Surge89 said:

I mean people are gonna take whatever they can to justify what they want regardless of what articles are out there.

Is it gonna be ammo to give Ballard a longer time? Yes probably. But it won't change whatever results Ballard gets from his actions excused or not. 

Just for the record. 

Ballard started his job with a franchise QB, a #1WR in his prime, a LT, and a C, as well as $70m in cap space.  I would say he has a "blank canvas with a QB" more than he was burdened.

We are past the point where Grigson is the cause of anything. 

Maybe be don't have a lot of young core players beyond those mentioned, but the cap space and draft picks (not required to be used on a QB) was/is there for Ballard to find his own.  Ultimately, that's better, not a burden. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/09/05/pat-mcafee-ryan-grigson-fining-me-for-an-instagram-post-led-to-my-retirement/

I promise I won't make a habit of this (it's kind of dorky), but in the comments someone asked, "Grigson or Millen" and Grigson is winning in a landslide, oh and our own Jules has a rather lopsided "up vote" too. The public opinion on Grigson isn't even kind of close. One of the few things the masses *get*, imo.

6 minutes ago, The Fish said:

To your first point. Why any stories or history? What good is that? That's your argument? Really? 

There's an agenda here. Ok, I get it. I didn't know there was Grigson fans. Weird. Why? (nevermind, don't answer that)

A lack of hate is not the same thing as being a fan.  Its the most frustrating concept not understood by many in this forum.