Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mort Says Manning Gone (Merge)

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad I'm not the one that had to make this decision. Completely revamping the front office and coaching staff, ousting Peyton and who knows what the roster will look like come regular season... Maybe Irsay was right on the money but I'm having a hard time seeing a team in this mess. Time will tell, I suppose. Oh, the joys of rebuilding...

I never said he'd be the highest paid. Not sure that he will be.

Brees will pass the Brady/Manning deal so will others as the years go by leading up to that point.

5/90 would be low for deal # 2 in my opinion.

Another thing to take into account is Brees, Brady and Manning are all on the backend of their careers (well maybe not entirely Brees). Luck will be 26 or 27 so that is a factor too.

Wondered who the first one to say I told you so would be. Bingo Andrew Luck 12 haha

i'm not here to rub anything in, me and him went back and forth in another thread debating whether Luck would sit. I'll still root for Manning wherever.

Yes, but it will free up space for today. And today is when we are hurting.

I agree that it will limit us in later years, sure, but that's the game of football. We also have to expect that Freeney/Mathis/Clark/Bethea will not be around either, they will have left/retired, freeing up cap space, and someone else will be in their place, playing cheaper. Also, keep in mind that the salary cap will probably continue to increase over that period of time as well, making it easier going on the Colts Front Office.

I'm just saying that they need to get out of this cycle of awful Sp Teams and a Shoddy secondary. I hope they can keep the cap in proportion in the future, even with a Greek god of a QB

The market. Inflation, rising prices. rising salary cap.

Brees is getting ready to go past 20.

Brady will have a new deal before long.

Manning will likely have a short risk free deal turn into higher $'s if all goes well.

You'll see Eli, BBR, and Rivers, will be on a new contract.

Rodgers, Stafford, Ryan, Culter, willl likely be on a new contract by then.

Cam Newton will be on a new contract.

So Luck, if he's half as good as people suspect he is will be commanding that type of money. If he doesn't average 18+ on his 2nd deal, then it might mean he's not met expectations.

To the bolded, if Luck is making $18-20 million in five years, with a salary cap closer to $140 million a year, that's less of an issue because it's a smaller percentage of the cap.

And that's only if you concede to the idea that he'll be making that kind of money in his second NFL contract. I'm not conceding that at all, because historically, even really good quarterbacks don't make top five money on their second contracts, even with great accomplishments under their belts. Even Tom Brady in 2005, two years after Manning's biggest in history contract, resigned for $10 million a year.

The volatility of the NFL usually serves to keep salaries from increasing without any checks, which is why Pau Gasol makes more money than Tom Brady. Manning's $18 million a year is getting ready to get wiped off the books. Several of the other guys you mention probably won't be commanding more than $20 million a year when their contracts expire, because that money will likely be reserved for quarterbacks with MVP/OPY/Super Bowls. So Stafford, Cutler, Ryan, and even Rivers, will probably be held to the $15-17 million range after some market corrections that will be taking place in the next couple of years.

And we're talking about a contract that's at least four years into the future. And for a player that will be 26 years old, not 36 years. So if you take it as a give that Luck will be making close to $20 million a year on his second contract (which I don't), that's a horse of a different color from paying Manning $18 million a year with a questionable arm and being ten years older, and having a team that just went 2-14 and needs to be reloaded with talent at several positions, with a new coach and a new GM.

Lastly, Manning's salary has never been the reason the Colts didn't win more championships, so it's really a moot point.

Another thing to take into account is Brees, Brady and Manning are all on the backend of their careers (well maybe not entirely Brees). Luck will be 26 or 27 so that is a factor too.

Their age isn't a factor at all. Brees deal will top Manning's, Rodgers will top his.

BBR, Eli and Rivers are all due at or near the same time, the last one to sign will be paid more than the other 2.

Yes I do, but he prolly doesnt make it to that 5th year.

Is there a reason for that?

To the bolded, if Luck is making $18-20 million in five years, with a salary cap closer to $140 million a year, that's less of an issue because it's a smaller percentage of the cap.

And that's only if you concede to the idea that he'll be making that kind of money in his second NFL contract. I'm not conceding that at all, because historically, even really good quarterbacks don't make top five money on their second contracts, even with great accomplishments under their belts. Even Tom Brady in 2005, two years after Manning's biggest in history contract, resigned for $10 million a year.

The volatility of the NFL usually serves to keep salaries from increasing without any checks, which is why Pau Gasol makes more money than Tom Brady. Manning's $18 million a year is getting ready to get wiped off the books. Several of the other guys you mention probably won't be commanding more than $20 million a year when their contracts expire, because that money will likely be reserved for quarterbacks with MVP/OPY/Super Bowls. So Stafford, Cutler, Ryan, and even Rivers, will probably be held to the $15-17 million range after some market corrections that will be taking place in the next couple of years.

And we're talking about a contract that's at least four years into the future. And for a player that will be 26 years old, not 36 years. So if you take it as a give that Luck will be making close to $20 million a year on his second contract (which I don't), that's a horse of a different color from paying Manning $18 million a year with a questionable arm and being ten years older, and having a team that just went 2-14 and needs to be reloaded with talent at several positions, with a new coach and a new GM.

Lastly, Manning's salary has never been the reason the Colts didn't win more championships, so it's really a moot point.

Brady's 2nd contract wasn't in an era when the top 10 averaged 14.

In 5 years that average is going to be likely higher than 18-20

So what anyone earned on their 2nd contract years ago, and even more years later when this is going to be happening is meaningless.

It will fall in line like it has been. The structure won't be any different. It is likely we will be running a similar offense where so much is on QB1, and if QB2 comes in he's going to struggle.

That's all. I don't see the change that many do.

Oh it's not about Manning. He's been thrown away. He's no longer a Colt...

Is there a reason for that?

Cause he'll be 41 when that happens and there hasn't been more than 2 quarterbacks who play past 40 years old. Testaverde and Favre. 4 neck surgeries gotta make Manning think about life after football. He's had 4 neck surgeries plus the average QB retirement age is like 37, and he's 36. He won't last until then.

You don't honestly think he'll get to 41.

Cause he'll be 41 when that happens and there hasn't been more than 2 quarterbacks who play past 40 years old. Testaverde and Favre. 4 neck surgeries gotta make Manning think about life after football. He's had 4 neck surgeries plus the average QB retirement age is like 37, and he's 36. He won't last until then.

The comment that you quoted was discussing Andrew Luck. Not Peyton Manning.

Brady's 2nd contract wasn't in an era when the top 10 averaged 14.

It was an era where the market had been set considerably higher by Manning (99 million for seven years), at a time when most of the known world was touting Brady as the better quarterback, and the team had just won it's third Super Bowl in four years. And Brady signs for $39 million less overall, and $4 million less per year.

In 5 years that average is going to be likely higher than 18-20

So what anyone earned on their 2nd contract years ago, and even more years later when this is going to be happening is meaningless.

The only way Luck's average will be $18-20 million will be if the cap has gone up considerably, in which case, it's irrelevant because it's a smaller percentage of the cap.

My point is simply that, typically speaking, quarterbacks going into their second contract don't make top five money unless they've achieved significant accomplishments. And if Luck is worth top five money after four years, you give it to him and thank your lucky stars you drafted him (no pun intended). As someone else said, there are bigger problems in the NFL than having a quarterback that's worth top five money.

It will fall in line like it has been. The structure won't be any different. It is likely we will be running a similar offense where so much is on QB1, and if QB2 comes in he's going to struggle.

That's all. I don't see the change that many do.

We have a new regime, and we just suffered a catastrophic collapse, largely because of one player's absence. If we allow our team to be so inflexible in the future, it will be due to mismanagement, not by design. And that's another variable to take into consideration. If Luck isn't on the field, then why would we be paying him that kind of money? I'm operating under the assumption that he's on the field, he's productive, and we have a reasonably good team overall.

Oh it's not about Manning. He's been thrown away. He's no longer a Colt...

Ouch.

So, you believe the 28 mill was still on the table, even after both parties said they were willing to renegotiate?

Oh noooooo, I agree that this move was made because someone did not want to pay 28 mill or give up 28 mill. either way, it came down to the 28 mill.

I am a Manning fan and i think this is good for him and also for the Colts. If he can play somewhere near his usual level there are a few teams out there that he will turn instantly into winners and the Colts will get to rebuild with Luck at the helm.I have been supporting the Colts for 8 yrs now and i will still root for them as long as they are not playing agains Peyton's team.

I personally think this whole situation was handled very badly that the stations had this information before Irsay had a presser about it. Think it could and should have been held before everyone had the information. Has Rob Lowe been tweeting again. :sigh: Well it will be interesting to see what is said tomorrow and I wish Peyton the best with his new team. Hope he gets to a team that will be ready to win a SB. That would be a great ending to his career and so deserved.

It was an era where the market had been set considerably higher by Manning (99 million for seven years), at a time when most of the known world was touting Brady as the better quarterback, and the team had just won it's third Super Bowl in four years.

The only way Luck's average will be $18-20 million will be if the cap has gone up considerably, in which case, it's irrelevant because it's a smaller percentage of the cap.

My point is simply that, typically speaking, quarterbacks going into their second contract don't make top five money unless they've achieved significant accomplishments. And if Luck is worth top five money after four years, you give it to him and thank your lucky stars you drafted him (no pun intended). As someone else said, there are bigger problems in the NFL than having a quarterback that's worth top five money.

We have a new regime, and we just suffered a catastrophic collapse, largely because of one player's absence. If we allow our team to be so inflexible in the future, it will be due to mismanagement, not by design. And that's another variable to take into consideration. If Luck isn't on the field, then why would we be paying him that kind of money? I'm operating under the assumption that he's on the field, he's productive, and we have a reasonably good team overall.

Ouch.

His 5th year option will be for top 10 money. It's 14 million now. It could easily be 20 at that point with guys getting new deals. Luck making 20million with a 140 cap will be like Manning making 14 with a 100 cap, so the %'s will be similar.

I just don't see it as a huge change outside of simply replacing a QB.

This is a terrible situation, but the good news is we could probably resign all of our big name free agents. He just freed up about 17M in cap space.

no we will have a $10.4 million dead cap hit...so we only save about $6 million...its like we are paying him $10.4 million to play for another team

Right now, I have Irsay just under Brady and Belichick. He's beyond stupid IF this is his true decision and they don't have a reworked contract to hand to Peyton when the new league contract year starts in a few days. Despite knowing it was a possibility this is truly devastating to me.

Love this post. This is the biggest mistake this franchise will/has ever made.

Oh noooooo, I agree that this move was made because someone did not want to pay 28 mill or give up 28 mill. either way, it came down to the 28 mill.

And I believe it was about length of contract. Do I get a Smack Zoom Pow?

I personally think this whole situation was handled very badly that the stations had this information before Irsay had a presser about it. Think it could and should have been held before everyone had the information. Has Rob Lowe been tweeting again. :sigh: Well it will be interesting to see what is said tomorrow and I wish Peyton the best with his new team. Hope he gets to a team that will be ready to win a SB. That would be a great ending to his career and so deserved.

It's 2012. News usually gets leaked, not just this, but everything. pressers are a formality anymore.

And I believe it was about length of contract. Do I get a Smack Zoom Pow?

You get a high-five for sure, because I agree. It was always about how long the Colts were committed to him and not how much money he was going to get. Peyton probably felt he had multiple years left, Irsay didn't.

if he plays 5 more seasons, he would retire at 40yrs old