Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What to do at 6 if.

Hi, I by no means know a lot about anyone except the top prospects so I was wondering if the board goes somrthing akin to 1:QB 2:Barkley 3:QB 4:Chubby 5:Nelson what would you guys do? Is there other prospects on the level of those 3 or is it simply a trade back opportunity at that point?

I believe the consensus is there are at least 4 blue chippers other than the qbs, being chubb, barkley, nelson and fitzpatrick.  I don't see any scenario where at least 2 qbs are not taken so one of those 4 will come to us.  Personally i don't want it to be barkley or nelson and would prefer chubb then fitz but if it is nelson or barkely i'll get on board.

I have no worries about what happens in the first round.  I'm more excited to see what we do with the second round.  

Short Answer:  Take Fitzpatrick.  He will be  a superstar corner in the zone D we run.

there are other guys we could take there

smith, and edmunds were already mentioned, and they would still be decent value even at 6 if we cant or dont trade

we could also go with james or mink. 

two linebackers and two safeties 

I would say either take a CB, LB or trade down

Ward and Fitzpatrick will be available that could play CB.  Edmumds will be available at LB

Or you strike a Trade with either Buffalo or Arizona to see if they want to move up and grab a QB.  You get more picks and then you go for someone like McGlincey.

If Chubb, Nelson, and Barkley are gone and we can't trade back, we'd have to reach for a player.

The options are CB Ward, S Fitzpatrick or James, or LBs Roquan Smith or Edminds

The order I would reach would be Smith, James, Edmunds, Fitzpatrick, Ward.

Personally, I'd take all of those players over Nelson at #6.

9 minutes ago, DougDew said:

If Chubb, Nelson, and Barkley are gone and we can't trade back, we'd have to reach for a player.

The options are CB Ward, S Fitzpatrick or James, or LBs Roquan Smith or Edminds

The order I would reach would be Smith, James, Ward, Edmunds, Fitzpatrick.

Personally, I'd take all of those players over Nelson at #6.

All have good value at 6.  Would not be a reach for any of them.

37 minutes ago, Imrryr said:

Hi, I by no means know a lot about anyone except the top prospects so I was wondering if the board goes somrthing akin to 1:QB 2:Barkley 3:QB 4:Chubby 5:Nelson what would you guys do? Is there other prospects on the level of those 3 or is it simply a trade back opportunity at that point?

I would look for the maximum trade down offer I could find since both Josh Allen and Baker Mayfield would still be available most likely and then target LB Roquan Smith after the trade down. 

22 minutes ago, gacker65 said:

All have good value at 6.  Would not be a reach for any of them.

If that's the case, then based upon immediate starting potential and NFL level impact, talent upgrade at our current positions, positional value, and bust potential, pick #6 should go to either Roquan Smith or Derwin James.

And if Chubb is sitting there at 6, the conversation between those three players continues, IMO.

20 minutes ago, DougDew said:

If that's the case, then based upon immediate starting potential and NFL level impact, talent upgrade at our current positions, positional value, and non-bust likelihood, pick #6 should go to either Roquan Smith or Derwin James.

And if Chubb is sitting there at 6, the conversation between those three players continues, IMO.

First, if Chubb is there, then there is no conversation.

Second, the safest pick of the 5 is Fitzpatrick, followed by Ward and Smith.

1 hour ago, Imrryr said:

Way too many QB needy teams up top for this to happen BUT I’ll dabble. 

Ill take a CB, or LB ..... or trade back and get more second round picks and a pick next year. Lots of good starting second round talent.

57 minutes ago, waka waka said:

would anyone flip out if Derwin James is taken at 6? we'd have the safety in place for the future i like Derwin more than Minkah.

I wouldn't at all. James is going to be a star. We have injury concerns at both starting safety spots...

I suppose it depends on Ballard's board... I would trust his judgement more than my own in these matters.

If it were up to me, We'd trade down (even to 12) if Chubb and Nelson are gone (Barkley doesn't factor in either way, imo). I see it as two blue chip guys and then a log jam of very good prospects... R. Smith, D.James, M.Fitzpatrick, V.Vea, D.Ward are all guys that I'd be fine with at #6, but one will be available at #12, plus we'd definitely get another 1st and 2nd in the ensuing bidding war if we chose Buffalo... 

Example:

1. Ward/Vea

1. McGlinchy/Vanderesch

2. C. Williams/Wynn

2. Jefferson/Hurst

2. N. Chubb/Sutton

2. Sweat/Penny

3. E.St.Brown

To me, that is best case scenario aside from picking Chubb...

There should be a huge auction to move up for Allen/Rosen between the Phins, Bills and Cards. I'd take it. Potentially move down with the Bills for 12, 22, 2nd, and potentially another 2nd if theres enough demand. 

6 Bills - Allen

7 Bucs - James 

8 Bears - Ward  

9 49ers - Minkah

10 Raiders - Vea

11 Dolphins - Mayfield 

12 Colts - Edmunds 

1 - Edmunds 

1 - Davenport / Landry 

2 - Jackson 

2 - Hernandez 

2 - Guice / Jones 

2 - Hurst / Bryan 

2 - Jefferson 

3 - WR (Gallup, Clarke, St. Brown?)

I've been all aboard the Edmunds train. Ballard worked with Urlacher in Chicago, Edmunds has pretty much the exact same measurables.

I don't see the Bills trading 12 and 22 for #6. If they did I'd target two of Smith, Edmunds, McGlinchey, Davenort and Landry. All would be great fits here.