Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cousins to Vikings (it looks like)

Cousins bet on himself and won bigtime.

I remember when he was being bashed for not signing a long term extension and betting on himself on the franchise tag.

Well this man just had two tags totaling $44M and now a 3 year $86M deal.

That means he essentially pocketed the equivalent of a 5 year, $130M contract fully guaranteed over the last 5 years.

That is absolutely unheard of and incredible. Kudos to him.

Greg Rosenthal of NFL.com has just posted a listing of the top 32 signal callers in the NFL and he has the Colts with two.  Luck and Brisett is ranked 31.  Now that the top FA QB's are finding a home and the remaining FA QB's have injury issues and or are older and could be pricy in some cases I was wondering why some teams still in need of a starting QB are not calling the Colts about Brisett.  He is a young ascending player who played 15 games last year and I would expect some teams could view him as a potential franchise QB or at least a bridge guy.  I actually see him as a better option than many of the remaining FA QB's.  Seems odd his name never comes up but that could be due to all of the other backups in the market.  OR maybe Chris is getting some calls?  Who knows. 

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Greg Rosenthal of NFL.com has just posted a listing of the top 32 signal callers in the NFL and he has the Colts with two.  Luck and Brisett is ranked 31.  Now that the top FA QB's are finding a home and the remaining FA QB's have injury issues and or are older and could be pricy in some cases I was wondering why some teams still in need of a starting QB are not calling the Colts about Brisett.  He is a young ascending player who played 15 games last year and I would expect some teams could view him as a potential franchise QB or at least a bridge guy.  I actually see him as a better option than many of the remaining FA QB's.  Seems odd his name never comes up but that could be due to all of the other backups in the market.  OR maybe Chris is getting some calls?  Who knows. 

They may be but we still have Brissett for 2 more years for cheap under contract so we should probably keep him. We aren't even paying him a Mill next season.

41 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

IMO, he is above average, but $28+ million/year fully guaranteed seems very high.

That's my feelings on him as well.

Guy got PAID, but he's the equivalent of a Manning or Brees being a FA this year. But he's nowhere near those guys.

37 minutes ago, IinD said:

That's my feelings on him as well.

Guy got PAID, but he's the equivalent of a Manning or Brees being a FA this year. But he's nowhere near those guys.

He's getting paid like he's the only franchise-level QB to hit unrestricted free agency in his prime with no red flags in the last 20 years. Jimmy G didn't even hit free agency, and he got $27.5m/year. 

Everyone's talking about how this deal is a game changer because it's "fully guaranteed" (which by the way, we don't know if that's accurate or not, and I'm betting it's not because the Vikings probably aren't putting $86m in escrow tomorrow), but really, it only affects QBs in their prime with no red flags. If Antonio Brown or Khalil Mack hit the market today, neither of them would get a "fully guaranteed" contract.

The other thing, big time QBs usually have the first three years of their deal effectively guaranteed anyways. This doesn't strike me as a watershed moment for NFL contracts.

10 minutes ago, Superman said:

He's getting paid like he's the only franchise-level QB to hit unrestricted free agency in his prime with no red flags in the last 20 years. Jimmy G didn't even hit free agency, and he got $27.5m/year. 

Everyone's talking about how this deal is a game changer because it's "fully guaranteed" (which by the way, we don't know if that's accurate or not, and I'm betting it's not because the Vikings probably aren't putting $86m in escrow tomorrow), but really, it only affects QBs in their prime with no red flags. If Antonio Brown or Khalil Mack hit the market today, neither of them would get a "fully guaranteed" contract.

The other thing, big time QBs usually have the first three years of their deal effectively guaranteed anyways. This doesn't strike me as a watershed moment for NFL contracts.

What are your thoughts on what seems to be an increase in players taking short term "prove it" deals, else happily playing under the tag, backing themselves to perform and get a pay day in the long term all while not getting exactly bad bank. 

You'd think short term deals would not be in the interests of the players but it seems those that have (Poe is another that springs to mind) seem have to made out ok. 

10 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

What are your thoughts on what seems to be an increase in players taking short term "prove it" deals, else happily playing under the tag, backing themselves to perform and get a pay day in the long term all while not getting exactly bad bank. 

You'd think short term deals would not be in the interests of the players but it seems those that have (Poe is another that springs to mind) seem have to made out ok. 

It worked for Alshon Jeffery, even Jeremy Maclin a few years ago. Didn't work for Prince Amukamara. Usually, the player has a red flag -- injury, suspension, bad contract year, etc. -- and wants to take a year to rebuild his stock. My thinking is no one is offering that player a strong multi year deal anyway, so it's not so much about the player's choice, more about his circumstance.

In Poe's case, reports were the Colts wanted him on a multi year deal, but he wanted to take a one year option. I don't know how accurate that is, because the numbers on the Hankins deal vs the one year deal Poe got are head scratching. Maybe Poe was thinking he'd have a $12m/year market in 2018, but it doesn't look like that will be the case after all.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

It worked for Alshon Jeffery, even Jeremy Maclin a few years ago. Didn't work for Prince Amukamara. Usually, the player has a red flag -- injury, suspension, bad contract year, etc. -- and wants to take a year to rebuild his stock. My thinking is no one is offering that player a strong multi year deal anyway, so it's not so much about the player's choice, more about his circumstance.

In Poe's case, reports were the Colts wanted him on a multi year deal, but he wanted to take a one year option. I don't know how accurate that is, because the numbers on the Hankins deal vs the one year deal Poe got are head scratching. Maybe Poe was thinking he'd have a $12m/year market in 2018, but it doesn't look like that will be the case after all.

It's interesting you bring up Amukamara, I can't remember which talking head brought it up (possibly Brooks), but their take on it was he knows he's not going to get big CB money so pitches himself as a 1 year fill where you know you're getting a solid starter. 

It was just a random thought I had, no real research or substance to it :)

1 minute ago, SteelCityColt said:

It's interesting you bring up Amukamara, I can't remember which talking head brought it up (possibly Brooks), but their take on it was he knows he's not going to get big CB money so pitches himself as a 1 year fill where you know you're getting a solid starter. 

It was just a random thought I had, no real research or substance to it :)

If Prince wants to bet on himself again with us this time , I’d be down.

I love 1 year deals.

2 hours ago, TomDiggs said:

Cousins bet on himself and won bigtime.

I remember when he was being bashed for not signing a long term extension and betting on himself on the franchise tag.

Well this man just had two tags totaling $44M and now a 3 year $86M deal.

That means he essentially pocketed the equivalent of a 5 year, $130M contract fully guaranteed over the last 5 years.

That is absolutely unheard of and incredible. Kudos to him.

Yep...basically Cousins pulled a Derrell Revis....kept betting on himself..getting franchised or signing really short contracts etc...then when he was close to the end....got that big long term deal with the Jets and then fell off the face of the earth almost. Kirk trusted his talent and was paid accordingly.