Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Drafting Shaquem Griffin

As an UCF fan, I think Shaquem Griffin is a very talented and athletic LB, If it wasn't for his disabilities he would be 1-2 rounder for sure, But since many teams are skeptical about him he is projected to be a 5th rounder, I'm sure that if we could get him we could add more depth to the LB position.

On NFL radio today.... Phil Savage, a former General Manager, said he believes the most likely round for Griffin to be drafted is the 4th....   and likely by a team that had multiple fourth round picks.

He thought it was possible but NOT likely that he could get picked in the third...  most likely the 4th...

Watched the kid play ball this year. How can you not like what you see?

As far as the "disability", what's the difference between him and Bostic when he played with his club hand.

Are we over-rating the use of a hand? What about JPP? Has he been limited in his performance since his accident?

Something to think about, and I certainly don't have the answers

22 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

No way he goes in the 5th. I think he goes in the third and whoever drafts him, I feel, will have a steal on their hands. I want the Colts to draft him in the third.

You said "steal on their hands"  haha....... (disclaimer, I've only had about 8 inches of my right leg and a childs femur since age 9, so don't be too offended)

If he started in college with one hand, I don’t see why he couldn’t start in the nfl. It also shouldn’t be illegal to give him some kind of robotic hand to play, at least something to help him out if he feels it necessary. I find it needless to say if we drafted him, we wouldn’t see many interceptions. 

Okay, kind of a  dumb question here....Would the NFL allow him to play with some sort of prosthetic extension to the arm, or must players be au-naturale?  The extra length could come in "handy" when deflecting or breaking up passes.

As far as the experts claiming its a disability for football, I think a person who has lived with it all of his life finds ways to make up for the deficit in ways the experts can't describe.  He might come up short on grasping a player when tackling, but that's a small part of playing the position.

My main concern is that I don't know if he is a good fit for a 43. 

I would say anything higher than our high 4th is a reach for us.

26 minutes ago, neug3246 said:

thanks but I would pass hard on griffin. Good player but a project and we don't need anymore project players. If Grigs was still the GM he probably be our first round draft pick at 3 lol

Most 4th or 5th round players are projects or have some kind of warts anyway.  Griffin has a lot of ability I must say. Outside of the arm my knock against him is he's pretty darn short.  The numbers at the combine were saying he was just 6 Ft even. 

11 minutes ago, ColtsBlitz said:

If he started in college with one hand, I don’t see why he couldn’t start in the nfl. It also shouldn’t be illegal to give him some kind of robotic hand to play, at least something to help him out if he feels it necessary. I find it needless to say if we drafted him, we wouldn’t see many interceptions. 

But 1 handed interceptions are fun to watch this dude can play hand or no hand check him out ,,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6jFL3W1Z7E

8 minutes ago, krunk said:

Most 4th or 5th round players are projects or have some kind of warts anyway.  Griffin has a lot of ability I must say.

I rather us not take the chance let him get drafted to another team and I hope he breaks out big and becomes a superstar but I think our limited resources could be used elsewhere

2 minutes ago, neug3246 said:

I rather us not take the chance let him get drafted to another team and I hope he breaks out big and becomes a superstar but I think our limited resources could be used elsewhere

Griffin is gonna shine in the NFL he's a disruptive force & fun to watch he would be a steal in the 4th or 5 th rd , 

4 hours ago, IndyD4U said:

Watched the kid play ball this year. How can you not like what you see?

As far as the "disability", what's the difference between him and Bostic when he played with his club hand.

Are we over-rating the use of a hand? What about JPP? Has he been limited in his performance since his accident?

Something to think about, and I certainly don't have the answers

Bostic moves like 80 yr old in quick sand,  and shaqueem is lightning quick 

4 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

You said "steal on their hands"  haha....... (disclaimer, I've only had about 8 inches of my right leg and a childs femur since age 9, so don't be too offended)

I was perfectly fine with what you said. You're a good dude Shafty. It was funny. You have nothing to apologize for brother. We can all see what a talented LB this Griffin is. He's relentless man & he's always near the ball or ball carrier. 

That's the thing about people with disabilities. We want you to joke around so we feel like just one of the guys. It's not malicious at all. We all knew what you meant. Isolation & alienation is what drives us nuts. No worries Shafty! :thmup:

I have no idea where he projected to go in the draft, but I'll certainly accept Shaquem with open arms if INDY lands him. It's clear that his motor never stops from You Tube clips I've seen.  

1 hour ago, The Peytonator said:

If we draft Chubb in the first and Griffin later, their nickname would be Chubb and Stubb. 

I like it! Sounds like a tasty special at St. Elmo Steak House in INDY too. Well played Peytonator! :hat:

Already got their call signs down. Next level thinking man. Nice. 

3 hours ago, ColtsBlitz said:

I’m not so sure. Looks okay to me 

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

Okay, kind of a  dumb question here....Would the NFL allow him to play with some sort of prosthetic extension to the arm, or must players be au-naturale?  The extra length could come in "handy" when deflecting or breaking up passes.

Not a foolish question at all DD. The thing is when Griffin has gone without a plastic extension his entire life--The last thing you wanna do is slow down his attack mojo with drag, extra weight, or cumbersome additions that feel awkward or unnatural. Plastic limbs don't usually bend well. Legs can, but arms not so much I'm afraid. 

He's a 3rd round pick in my book no doubt.  Everything you want in a linebacker except height.  I think he would have it easier in a 3-4 alignment but you can't discount his ability to make anything work.  I'd take him based on the simple fact he's got that special sauce that makes people overcome.  As long as the desire to want it is there, there is very little that can stop a person. 

28 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

@southwest1

Friendly Reminder from TigerTown    

One must be careful with the jokes because even if meant in jest they can be hurtful

No problems here in TigerTown 

I will admit that everyone's childhood experiences with a disability can vary based on ridicule or unflattering recollections growing up based on the era or decade they grew up in. But, that's why you [the person with the disability] should communicate with their friends & family to let them know what is & isn't acceptable to you. People with disabilities have to establish a comfort zone with their colleagues to clear the air & give non disabled people a venue to ask significant question about us as a social group. It's my biggest pet peeve: Saying nothing & everybody else walks around on egg shells afraid to tick the person with the disability off. Nothing gets resolved or improved that way. 

There are some subjects I don't broach about my community with folks outside this community sure. But, mostly I'm an open book. Ask me & I'll give you my perspective on it. I have a responsibility to the next generation to make it easier than I had it with my disability & the best way to do that is an open dialogue with non disabled folks to shed light on an area rarely discussed in contemporary society. A number of my film reviews touch on this from time to time. I refuse to write full threads on stuff like this though because after you've been poked & prodded enough with surgeries & physical therapy sessions...The last thing you wanna do is be that vulnerable publicly. Some things you have to undergo personally to really get. Enough said.  

Humor done correctly goes a long way toward shattering harmful myths & finding a common ground in which to improve situations & circumstances. Sometimes, sensitivity can be taken to the extreme even in my community & all the best humor has a grain of truth to them which makes them funny because of their authenticity. 

7 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

I will admit that everyone's childhood experiences with a disability can vary based on ridicule or unflattering recollections growing up based on the era or decade they grew up in. But, that's why you [the person with the disability] should communicate with their friends & family to let them know what is & isn't acceptable to you. People with disabilities have to establish a comfort zone with their colleagues to clear the air & give non disabled people a venue to ask significant question about us as a social group. It's my biggest pet peeve: Saying nothing & everybody else walks around on egg shells afraid to tick the person with the disability off. Nothing gets resolved or improved that way. 

There are some subjects I don't broach about my community with folks outside this community sure. But, mostly I'm an open book. Ask me & I'll give you my perspective on it. I have a responsibility to the next generation to make it easier than I had it with my disability & the best way to do that is an open dialogue with non disabled folks to shed light on an area rarely discussed in contemporary society. A number of my film reviews touch on this from time to time. I refuse to write full threads on stuff like this though because after you've been poked & prodded enough with surgeries & physical therapy sessions...The last thing you wanna do is be that vulnerable publicly. Some things you have to undergo personally to really get. Enough said.  

The first thing we must is eliminate the labels

16 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

The first thing we must is eliminate the labels

We're fine BTW. I understand where you were coming from & you got a window into my POV on the matter. We're not far off in our outlook. I just took a slight issue with the notion that some may find jokes harmful. You're not wrong PT. I just don't prefer saying that jokes are to be avoided because it might upset somebody. Not everybody reacts well to humor I know, but it's a great way to break the ice & spawn debates that eliminate confusion across a wide scale. 

I just don't like frowning on jokes idea because it has a tendency to shutdown debates completely. I realize of course that we are all wired differently of course. Point taken. 

I realize you were just trying to make everyone feel welcome & comfortable. No harm done my friend.:thmup:

Where ever Griffin ends up, he will intriguing to watch no doubt.  

11 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

We're fine BTW. I understand where you were coming from & you got a window into my POV on the matter. We're not far off in our outlook. I just took a slight issue with the notion that some may find jokes harmful. You're not wrong PT. I just don't prefer saying that jokes are to be avoided because it might upset somebody. Not everybody reacts well to humor I know, but it's a great way to break the ice & spawn debates that eliminate confusion across a wide scale. 

I just don't like frowning on jokes because it has a tendency to shutdown debates completely. I realize you were just trying to make everyone feel welcome & comfortable. No harm done my friend.:thmup:

Where ever Griffin ends up, he will intriguing to watch no doubt.  

Offensive humor is a form of bullying and one must remember than not everyone is one the   Same level(esp. here)

If one does not at least check the joke things will not change 

Remember I come from the Education world

14 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Offensive humor is a form of bullying and one must remember than not everyone is one the   Same level(esp. here)

If one does not at least check the joke things will not change 

Remember I come from the Education world

Alright, I'll drop this even though nothing Shafty said in reference to Griffin was offensive to me at all & I was born with a disability myself. Bullying? Let's just agree to disagree on that one before the slippery slope argument comes up. Fair enough. 

2 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

I’d like him in the 4th or 5th. I love his passion for the game and his will to prove the doubters wrong. No one will work harder than him. Hopefully we can acquire more 4ths because there are a lot of good players in the 4th. 

No matter where goes there is a fan in TigerTown 

6 hours ago, DougDew said:

As far as the experts claiming its a disability for football, I think a person who has lived with it all of his life finds ways to make up for the deficit in ways the experts can't describe.  He might come up short on grasping a player when tackling, but that's a small part of playing the position.

My main concern is that I don't know if he is a good fit for a 43. 

I would say anything higher than our high 4th is a reach for us.

A "go go gadget arm" would come in handy on FGs and punts as well. But I don't imagine the NFL would allow him to do that.

Also, giving him a prosthetic hand that was stronger than a human hand wouldn't be fair either.

1 hour ago, shastamasta said:

A "go go gadget arm" would come in handy on FGs and punts as well. But I don't imagine the NFL would allow him to do that.

Also, giving him a prosthetic hand that was stronger than a human hand wouldn't be fair either.

Well I guess that eliminates a hook then.