Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Head coach hiring process - meetings, requests for interviews, etc vol.2

stitches

My money's on Campbell. Just seems to fit what Ballard might be looking for after this whole McDaniels debacle, good leader of men. Of course Reich fits that too, but I do wonder if the whole wanting to go younger rumor is true, and that'd help Campbell.

Then I think we bring in Bevell as OC.

54 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

My money's on Campbell. Just seems to fit what Ballard might be looking for after this whole McDaniels debacle, good leader of men. Of course Reich fits that too, but I do wonder if the whole wanting to go younger rumor is true, and that'd help Campbell.

Then I think we bring in Bevell as OC.

Dan Campbell at least in personality reminds me a bit of Bill Cowher.  

The problem I have with Campbell is he's spent zero time as a coordinator.  He's an "assistant head coach" which could mean anything.  

I think I'd rather have Reich because he's been an OC.

1 minute ago, Valpo2004 said:

The problem I have with Campbell is he's spent zero time as a coordinator.  He's an "assistant head coach" which could mean anything.  

Yeah I'm also skpetical, at least on the game planning/scheming side of things.

Being an Asst. HC he presumably was a part of that alongside Sean Payton to some degree. And he has been around the game as a player a long time but yeah, I'm still skeptical.

13 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Yeah I'm also skpetical, at least on the game planning/scheming side of things.

Being an Asst. HC he presumably was a part of that alongside Sean Payton to some degree. And he has been around the game as a player a long time but yeah, I'm still skeptical.

Yeah but like I said "Assistant HC" could mean anything.  It could mean that his job is to be Payton's office assistant and makes sure he has a ready supply of fresh pens and paper from the supply closet.  

That is a bit extreme but it's such a throw away title you don't know what it means.

The best thing I can say is that he was 5-7 with a bad team in 2015.  

To me hiring him is more of a media/attention move.  I think a lot of people like him because they would remind him of an "old school" gruff head football coach (Like Cowher).  And he helped with that image when his first day on the job as the interim head coach of the dolphins he made the player do the Oklahoma drill.  But I'm not sure you can necessarily translate that to "good head coach"

On the other hand he would IMO be the complete opposite of McDaniels.  I said before in another thread that I think a big issue with McDaniels is that he's spineless.  Dan Campbell would be the opposite of that.  

4 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Meh, I don't think being a coordinator prepares you for the job any more than other positions.  Going from assistant coach to HC is like taking your best plumber and making him the manager of the entire business.  unless, you get a guy with a proven track record, it's a shot in the dark.

Just now, chad72 said:

Will Michigan's rough recruiting class make Jim Harbaugh more receptive to a Jim Irsay call?

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/wolverines/2018/02/07/michigan-football-recruiting-national-signing-day-2018/315098002/

About as as UT

Check out Jacob Copeland’s Announcement 

13 hours ago, BOTT said:

Meh, I don't think being a coordinator prepares you for the job any more than other positions.  Going from assistant coach to HC is like taking your best plumber and making him the manager of the entire business.  unless, you get a guy with a proven track record, it's a shot in the dark.

Being a Coordinator means managing position coaches under you, game planning and scheming a defense or an offense.  

Now maybe he can get coordinators who can do all of that and it can work but I would be at the very least bothered by a HC who's never schemed an offense or defense before.  

11 hours ago, unvrsty07 said:

Do the Colts have to satisfy the Rooney rule again, or because a contract was never signed they have already satisfied the rule?

Shouldn't have to be cause McDaniels never officially took the job.  Therefore the interview with Wilks from before McDaniels was selected satisfies the Rooney Rule.  

Like him, or not...

Gregg Doyel really is on spot with his article on NFL head coach hires

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2018/02/07/doyel-colts-can-survive-without-josh-mcdaniels-but-not-without-qb-andrew-luck/312609002/

...the alleged best candidates aren’t available anymore, but hiring an NFL coach is less science, more wild guess.

To prove that point I had to get good and frisky on Google and go all the way back to … 2016. Seven NFL teams hired coaches that season. Media outlets as connected to the NFL as CBSSports.com and USA Today agreed: The New York Giants landed a winner in Ben McAdoo. The Philadelphia Eagles screwed up by hiring Doug Pederson.

See my point?

We could do this all day, finding coaches who were hired to huzzahs and succeeded (Mike Zimmer to Minnesota in 2014) and failed (Chip Kelly to Philadelphia in 2013). I can show you names of sleeper candidates who hit it big (Sean McVay to Los Angeles and Doug Marrone to Jacksonville in 2017) and struck completely out (Mike Pettine to Cleveland in 2014).

Point is, starting over on Feb. 7 doesn’t matter a whole lot. The pool of candidates is enormous, even if guys like Matt Patricia, Matt Nagy and Mike Vrabel are gone. And as for those guys being gone?

So. What...

4 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Shouldn't have to be cause McDaniels never officially took the job.  Therefore the interview with Wilks from before McDaniels was selected satisfies the Rooney Rule.  

You mean Richard because we never even got to interview Wilks.

2 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

Worthwhile point.  Although I object to two names on there.  One is the guy who went to Cleveland.  Everyone fails in Cleveland.  Bill Belichick failed in Cleveland.

I object to Chip Kelly as well.  I maintain that Chip Kelly is actually a decent NFL **COACH** but Chip Kelly is also the world's worst NFL GM.  Eagles screwed up because they gave him roster control. 

10 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Being a Coordinator means managing position coaches under you, game planning and scheming a defense or an offense.  

Now maybe he can get coordinators who can do all of that and it can work but I would be at the very least bothered by a HC who's never schemed an offense or defense before.  

I,have heard several coaches and ex coaches on the ross Tucker podcast.  They claim as a HC the job is 90% management and 10% coaching....the opposite as a coordinator.