Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why Ballard should take Bradley Chubb at #3

bWild

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Unless Chubb's tests go terribly...   I'm talking spectacularly bad,  his real ceiling is still going to be higher than Basham.

Chubb played against much better competition and posted dramatically better stats.    Heck..   Chubb's stats are better than Garretts were.   He's not quite the athlete that Garrett is, but I'm hopeful we will find out he's pretty close to him...

That’s a fair point. I only really meant that he needs to not just be an effort sack guy. I’m hoping he shows he has the measureables to routinely beat tackles. He seems to have the technique though. Bosa didn’t test well at all and looked stiff in drills but he’s a technician with a motor.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

50 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

Yes, but Cleveland needs a QB more than they need an EDGE rusher.

That depends on their view of the QB Draft Pool and what they do in FA.   If they pick up a Kirk Cousins or maybe Alex Smith in FA they may opt to pick up another position perhaps.   Especially if they think their young QB  Kizer  will improve with time.

I think it depends on how you value the players. It's been said Barkley is the best back to come out since Peterson while Chubbs is listed as no better then Garrett from last year. I get Garrett was a first round pick, but Peterson is a HOFer. We'll see

59 minutes ago, krunk said:

That depends on their view of the QB Draft Pool and what they do in FA.   If they pick up a Kirk Cousins or maybe Alex Smith in FA they may opt to pick up another position perhaps.   Especially if they think their young QB  Kizer  will improve with time.

I think they go with Barkley and Fitzpatrick instead, if they pick up someone like Cousins.

6 hours ago, WarGhost21 said:

I have to be the buzzkill here, sorry. You can't judge a player off of a highlight reel. They never will show anything bad. You need to watch full game tape to see everything. So I can't really take this seriously. Yes, Chubb is a good football player, but in actual full game tapes you will see him taking plays off every so often and I would rather have a player like Marcus Davenport as an EDGE guy in the second round seeing as he took maybe only one play off all season. It's an effort issue, and you don't see that in highlight reels!

You're being completely unrealistic here WG21.  There has never been a player in the history of football that played as much as Chubb (especially in the trenches) that hasn't taken a play off ever so often.  We're all humans.  We all get tired.  It's natural.  I watched nearly a full game highlight vs Notre Dame and I constantly saw him chasing after plays 10-15 yards down the field. 

That's serious effort for a defensive end.  And you could tell he was tired but he was still putting in the extra effort.  That's the rare traits you look for in a guy that Ballard was talking about.  But what's most shocking is you turned around and said Davenport took maybe one play off all season...  Did he only play on 3rd downs?  If not, that's impossible for any every down player in the trenches.

6 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I was anti-Chubb for awhile. I’ve warmed up to him. Mostly because of the signs of us moving to a 4-3. That’d make him a better fit. I just hope he tests well. He has the relentless motor, but If all he has is motor and effort, then that’s basically Terell Basham.

Good thing it's not all that he has. Or even the best part of what he has. Basham has no moves and is truily all effort. The best part of Chubb's game is that he's an elite technician with great strength. His hand usage is exceptional and he complements it with very good adjustments mid-play. He wins in a very similar way to how Bosa wins. All he needs now is to test similarly to Bosa or better and I will be absolutely sold.  

6 minutes ago, masnerj said:

Just putting this out there:

Don't be surprised if Ballard trades down from the 3 pick and then ends up trading up to get Chubb at like 5 or 6. 

I actually expect this to happen. Been doing mocks where the Jets or Broncos offer fair trades and taking them to get Chubb there to see what draft we could potentially get as of now. It's really exciting.

4 minutes ago, masnerj said:

Just putting this out there:

Don't be surprised if Ballard trades down from the 3 pick and then ends up trading up to get Chubb at like 5 or 6. 

I don't see Ballard trading that far back, which would be what you're presuming. A trade back to 5 or 6 would yield the same result without having to give up anything. However, A) Chubb may not be there at 5 or 6 and B) if he does trade back a ways, he's likely targeting someone else completely. 

5 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

I don't see Ballard trading that far back, which would be what you're presuming. A trade back to 5 or 6 would yield the same result without having to give up anything. However, A) Chubb may not be there at 5 or 6 and B) if he does trade back a ways, he's likely targeting someone else completely. 

That's not that far back. It's possible that Chubb is still there, if the Bucs don't leapfrog us.

3 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

That's not that far back. It's possible that Chubb is still there, if the Bucs don't leapfrog us.

I would guess 3 QBs go in the first 4 picks. Along with Barkley. Then some mix of Fitzpatrick, an O-Lineman, and Chubb should be the next two. I feel confident we can trade back 2 or 3 spots and get Chubb.

1 minute ago, IndyScribe said:

Re-read what the poster said, he talks about trading back "up" to 5 or 6, so he's trading back farther than that initially. I agree, going back to 5 or 6 is ideal, especially considering we'd be gaining extra picks, but Chubb could test out of his mind and be gone within the first 2 picks. I'd be looking to trade back regardless. The team needs all of the help it can get.

The priority is O-Line and TE on offense & Front 7 on Defense. Ballard believes this, he has said it clearly, and IMHO he will not be distracted from it by any "bling" picks!

That's how I see it, so I think Chubb is definitely on his radar.

I think one of the riskiest things that can happen is if we draft Chubb at 3 (wasting any chance of extra picks) AND stick with a 3-4 defense (Flus has worked with/under both 4-3 and 3-4 and he might wanna keep things the same?). That is likely taking Chubb and putting him in a situation that severely limits his ceiling and abilities. 

Chubb in a 4-3 is >>> Chubb in a 3-4. Important distinction there that we might wanna think about. A 4-3 defense isn't guaranteed! 

19 hours ago, WarGhost21 said:

I am honestly surprised none of them have said anything about it yet. It may just be the way I'm looking at the tape, and I plan on going and watching more of it later, but I don't see him giving 100% on every play. I see it most plays, but there are times where he needs to come up big for his team and he relaxes a bit. Don't take my word for it though, I'm bound to get some things wrong every once in a while.

It doesn't matter what YOU see though. There is a consensus among people far smarter than you (no offense), i.e. people who get paid to analyze and watch endless hours of gameplay. I mean, you have the right to state your opinion, but it doesn't make it valid. Especially given the context of scouting etc. 

On 1/19/2018 at 6:48 AM, Jdubu said:

My counterpoint to this will be, if Texans would have had a healthy Luck as their QB instead of whatever QB they had during JJ Watt’s incredible season, do you honestly think they go 2-14? The point being, we already have that franchise QB with Luck (assuming he is now to be healthy)  add in a real defense threat and perhaps you get what Denver just did with Peyton’s run and make it to a couple SB appearances at a time when Luck is way younger than Manning was in his run. I’ll be ecstatic with Chubb, Barkley or the ND lineman if it makes this team better. We have the option of hitting a superstar on offense or defense imho. 

I would be happy with any of those 3

21 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Unless Chubb's tests go terribly...   I'm talking spectacularly bad,  his real ceiling is still going to be higher than Basham.

Chubb played against much better competition and posted dramatically better stats.    Heck..   Chubb's stats are better than Garretts were.   He's not quite the athlete that Garrett is, but I'm hopeful we will find out he's pretty close to him...

Agree Chudd's athleticism jumps off the film!! Guys 280 pounds are not suppose to move like that!! And he looks like he is one bad dude! I liked Basham's film but honestly it's NOTHING like CHubb's!

3 hours ago, James said:

It doesn't matter what YOU see though. There is a consensus among people far smarter than you (no offense), i.e. people who get paid to analyze and watch endless hours of gameplay. I mean, you have the right to state your opinion, but it doesn't make it valid. Especially given the context of scouting etc. 

The other point is that he’s not going to be in on every play.  The NFL doesn’t play like college.  He’ll be swapped in and out enough where he gets plenty of rest. Especially as a rookie. 

I admit I’ve only watched his highlights.  What I didn’t like was that on a lot of his sacks and tackles he had no opposition.   But I loved his speed  and pursuit abilities.  Great player.  

16 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I actually expect this to happen. Been doing mocks where the Jets or Broncos offer fair trades and taking them to get Chubb there to see what draft we could potentially get as of now. It's really exciting.

Chubb won't fall pass rushers that are good honestly are rare and hard to find! If you know for sure he can do it you don't risk losing him you take him! Unless you  covet more than that one player and you have a backup plan at another postiion.

On 1/19/2018 at 8:26 AM, bWild said:

Chris Ballard (and the rest of the world) knows that we need help on defense. Sure, we could trade down and gain some more draft picks, but we’d potentially miss out on a chance to draft this kid (providing he’s still available at #3). If history has shown us anything, it’s that you never pass up on an elite, game changing player. With the QB needy Browns and Giants picking before us, I believe we have a real chance at getting an elite edge rusher in Bradley Chubb. Sure, Saquon Barkley is a beast and we do need help in the backfield, but running backs don’t hold up as well as edge rushers and it’s been proven that you can find quality backs later in the draft, if you do your homework (which Ballard does). The tape doesn’t lie. 

Most of those highlights are him not being blocked.  

A lot of the remaining highlights are pretty poor excuses for blocking.  

The bull-rush highlight was a very nice play by Chubb.  

Still not sold that he's early first round talent.

On 1/19/2018 at 8:59 AM, WarGhost21 said:

I have to be the buzzkill here, sorry. You can't judge a player off of a highlight reel. They never will show anything bad. You need to watch full game tape to see everything. So I can't really take this seriously. Yes, Chubb is a good football player, but in actual full game tapes you will see him taking plays off every so often and I would rather have a player like Marcus Davenport as an EDGE guy in the second round seeing as he took maybe only one play off all season. It's an effort issue, and you don't see that in highlight reels!

Not even a good highlight reel.  

He's untouched in a lot of that.   Most players can do that.    

I've watched a few full games of his and it is disturbing the amount of plays he takes off.  

He's a freak athlete, but needs a ton of work.

On 1/19/2018 at 6:59 AM, WarGhost21 said:

Davenport is going first round. Probably in the 10s since he could potentially be the next Chandler Jones.

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

The other point is that he’s not going to be in on every play.  The NFL doesn’t play like college.  He’ll be swapped in and out enough where he gets plenty of rest. Especially as a rookie. 

I admit I’ve only watched his highlights.  What I didn’t like was that on a lot of his sacks and tackles he had no opposition.   But I loved his speed  and pursuit abilities.  Great player.  

I suspect Chubb is not going to miss many downs.   Among the things I've been reading us that he grades out roughly as good against the run as he does the pass.   He's not just a pure pass rusher.    He's very good at both.    And he plays HARD!

Gotta love guys like that!

i hope we move back a few picks and are still able to select him.

2 hours ago, krunk said:

Marcus Davenport shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence as Chubb, Key, or Landry.

I don't know if you saw a post I made yesterday or not...

But there have been three high profile mocks out this week.   Kiper at ESPN...   Jeremiah with NFLN...   and one from PFF.     All three had Davenport in the first round.   Comfortably in the first round.   PFF had him in the top-10.

So it appears the scouting community sees Davenport equal to Landry and Key, maybe better, and not that far off from Chubb.    

I know, I was a little surprised too!

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I suspect Chubb is not going to miss many downs.   Among the things I've been reading us that he grades out roughly as good against the run as he does the pass.   He's not just a pure pass rusher.    He's very good at both.    And he plays HARD!

All depends on our base D.  Last year they subbed the Dline constantly.  

You're probably right, we’ll probably trade back. I suspect if so, not many will be happy with our pick if both Chubb and Barkley are gone.  

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

But there have been three high profile mocks out this week.   Kiper at ESPN...   Jeremiah with NFLN...   and one from PFF.     All three had Davenport in the first round.   Comfortably in the first round.   PFF had him in the top-10.

So it appears the scouting community sees Davenport equal to Landry and Key, maybe better, and not that far off from Chubb.    

I think they will cool off as the process goes along. He reminds me of Tanoh Kpsagannon the small school player drafted by KC last year. This is just my opinion but I think they are doing more projecting here on what could be possible based on his length and other intangibles. When I look I dont see Ziggy Ansah or Robert Mathis. I dont get that feeling when I study him. I will keep watching but I dont think this is the same guy as you would get with Key, Chubb, and Landry. Might not even be Taco Charlton. But again this is my opinion. 2-4 is what I think he is.

19 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I will be interested to see what Zierlein says. Hes usually closer to my view in most instances. Him and maybe Mcshay. Davenport to me hasn't even dominated the small school level.

26 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

All depends on our base D.  Last year they subbed the Dline constantly.  

You're probably right, we’ll probably trade back. I suspect if so, not many will be happy with our pick if both Chubb and Barkley are gone.  

My thought to trade back was to do so and hopefully STILL get Chubb.   Just one to three slots.     McShay thought it would be possible with Denver so they could come up and take a QB third overall.

All speculation at this point, but it might be possible....    good food for thought..

39 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Making a play on his name?  I see what you did there.