Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Will Kaepernick play a down in 2018?

lance_m8

22 hours ago, dgambill said:

If Colin wanted to play as badly enough as is necessary to be a great qb in this league than he would have spent less time on his social mission and lawsuits and more time showing teams his commitment to be an employee first and leader of a football team. He is out for his causes (more power to him its a free country) and himself....so I don't blame teams not willing to spend time, money, and resources to bring him in to the team just to be a platform for him to focus on those causes. No...he will not play or backup anyone. Lots of qbs over the years are out of the league and are better than a bunch of bums playing back up. A....they don't want to be backups and are unwilling to play second fiddle. B. they would be a distraction to the team and a detriment C. they have no long term future of being a franchise qb and thus teams would rather roll the dice on potential then someone who currently is better but has no chance to be the guy they are searching for. I think Colin fits all 3...he isn't so great he is going to lead a team to anything special...he also doesn't want to be a backup...and even if he was whats the point of a back up that is a huge distraction to what the team is trying to accomplish. No....just like Tebow isn't coming back.

This is an example of a decent anti-Kap argument.  Not just saying the man is a bum and doesn't have talent to even play in the NFL. You at least acknowledge that he is better than many currently filling back up roles around the league but point out that Kap probably isn't looking for that role and give other concerns that owners might have.  We might disagree on whether or not Kap deserves another chance but I can at least respect the arguments you presented here. 

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I don't know if desperate is the word.  He believes he has a case so he pursued legal ends which is his right.  Actually, the current law suit probably makes it even more unlikely that he plays in the NFL while his suit is pending so if he was desperate to get back on the field he  wouldn't have even filed it.  He has recently given several significant donations to various causes that he supports so I imagine he isn't necessarily hurting for money. 

Maybe but if he doesn't need the NFL why is he suing them? Wouldn't he just move on with his life and consider the NFL a part of his past?

20 hours ago, CF4L said:

Maybe but if he doesn't need the NFL why is he suing them? Wouldn't he just move on with his life and consider the NFL a part of his past?

It's just my opinion that he doesn't need the League and should dedicate himself to what is important to him since he has a much bigger platform now that he would not have otherwise had.  I have no way of knowing how Kap actually feels though.  It's possible he could be fighting the League based on principle.  Also very possible that he indeed wants to play again. 

On 1/5/2018 at 11:10 AM, lance_m8 said:

Just hard to watch bums play QB while a guy that has said he is wanting to play just sits on his coach wishing he was on the field

The team that sucked with him is undefeated with a backup at QB.  Isn't it possible that Kaepernick wasn't as good as the media projected?

1 minute ago, wizwor said:

The team that sucked with him is undefeated with a backup at QB.  Isn't it possible that Kaepernick wasn't as good as the media projected?

Check his stats for 2016 and the staff he played under and for one the 49ers had 1 win until the trade happened and you are out of your mind if you think JG is a backup QB he is better than half the quarterbacks in the league he sat behind TB12 not some trash player so yeah can not compare Kaep to JG different situation where kaep I believe had better stats in 2016 than JG this year but JG has a new defense where Kaep had really just a team ready to be wiped clean your statement is irrelevant go do some research then please return

Just hard to watch bums play QB while a guy that has said he is wanting to play just sits on his coach wishing he was on the field

Kaep isn't exactly a good QB himself. He wasn't exactly lighting it up out there. He won like 2 or 3 games out of his last 20 starts.

Once NFL defenses figured his style of play out he wasn't that good anymore.

On 1/6/2018 at 1:04 PM, Coltsman1788 said:

This is an example of a decent anti-Kap argument.  Not just saying the man is a bum and doesn't have talent to even play in the NFL. You at least acknowledge that he is better than many currently filling back up roles around the league but point out that Kap probably isn't looking for that role and give other concerns that owners might have.  We might disagree on whether or not Kap deserves another chance but I can at least respect the arguments you presented here. 

Thank you for being respectful. I wouldn’t say it’s an anti-Kaep argument but simply an argument for many qbs not in the league. Usually 1 or more of those reasons apply to why many careers cut short. Whether it was Vince Young, Johnny Manziel, Tim Tebow, Colin Kaepernick, or many other guys...heck even jay cutler wasn’t going to play this year until an injury to a team that happened to have a former coach of his. He didn’t want to be a back up. Colin doesn’t want to be a back up...if he humbled himself and said hey I’ll take whatever role you want me to do...keep my mouth shut and not try to draw attention and be a distraction to the goal of the team on the field he would be on a team today and how the season went likely a starter for someone. All he has to say is during the season I’m focused on leading this team and spending 100percent of my time and resources on making this team successful. My social work will resume after the season but to take the burden off my teammates and organization I will only give my view this one time only and will resume my social work during the offseason. He won’t do that...he won’t put his personal opinions aside to benefit his teammates and organization first...his choice and his right...but if I want a leader for my team...I want someone that will put them self aside and show leadership for his fellow teammates...and not someone that will create division or drama for them. Colin has every right to pursue his causes but I’m not surprised if they don’t represent what most organizations believe or believe will benefit their team that they choose to hire someone else who more closely aligns to their goals....even if a lesser talent.

18 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Thank you for being respectful. I wouldn’t say it’s an anti-Kaep argument but simply an argument for many qbs not in the league. Usually 1 or more of those reasons apply to why many careers cut short. Whether it was Vince Young, Johnny Manziel, Tim Tebow, Colin Kaepernick, or many other guys...heck even jay cutler wasn’t going to play this year until an injury to a team that happened to have a former coach of his. He didn’t want to be a back up. Colin doesn’t want to be a back up...if he humbled himself and said hey I’ll take whatever role you want me to do...keep my mouth shut and not try to draw attention and be a distraction to the goal of the team on the field he would be on a team today and how the season went likely a starter for someone. All he has to say is during the season I’m focused on leading this team and spending 100percent of my time and resources on making this team successful. My social work will resume after the season but to take the burden off my teammates and organization I will only give my view this one time only and will resume my social work during the offseason. He won’t do that...he won’t put his personal opinions aside to benefit his teammates and organization first...his choice and his right...but if I want a leader for my team...I want someone that will put them self aside and show leadership for his fellow teammates...and not someone that will create division or drama for them. Colin has every right to pursue his causes but I’m not surprised if they don’t represent what most organizations believe or believe will benefit their team that they choose to hire someone else who more closely aligns to their goals....even if a lesser talent.

Thanks dgambill.  I meant no offense by calling your argument "anti-Kap".  I was just pointing out that it was a well reasoned argument for why he wasn't in the league that also acknowledged that he was talented enough to still be playing.  For that...I can respect your viewpoint even though we might disagree at the end of the day on  whether or not Kap has been black balled to some extent. 

To the bolded, I offer that Kap likely feels that his greater moral responsibility is to the black community and to those victims of police brutality that do not have the same platform he has to be heard.  And even WITH Kap's platform many still refuse to hear him or have decided to distract from his message altogether to avoid having to face the issue.   While some might label Kap as a selfish teammate who isn't putting his team first ...others will say that he has acted selflessly and sacrificed much in empathy for those in his community who are in totally different circumstances.  Kap didn't have to do any of this and is paying a heavy cost for embarking down the road he chose.  But sometimes in life you count up the costs and decide to proceed if passionate enough in what you believe in.  Nevertheless, your point remains that NFL teams in analyzing his situation from their perspective very well could see it as you have articulated above.  I think we both agree that it doesn't make Kap wrong for choosing the course that he did or that he lacks the talent to play in the NFL. 

4 hours ago, lance_m8 said:

Check his stats for 2016 and the staff he played under and for one the 49ers had 1 win until the trade happened and you are out of your mind if you think JG is a backup QB he is better than half the quarterbacks in the league he sat behind TB12 not some trash player so yeah can not compare Kaep to JG different situation where kaep I believe had better stats in 2016 than JG this year but JG has a new defense where Kaep had really just a team ready to be wiped clean your statement is irrelevant go do some research then please return

Don't you know that Colts fans only care about mitigating circumstances when it comes to the bad play of our own QB?  lol   I love my fellow fans but we can be some of the biggest QB hypocrites out there sometimes.

32 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Don't you know that Colts fans only care about mitigating circumstances when it comes to the bad play of our own QB?  lol   I love my fellow fans but we can be some of the biggest QB hypocrites out there sometimes.

Kaep could have played better than Bortles and Taylor. JMO. But it is the off the field stuff that keeps him from being signed. 

4 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Being a colts fan has nothing to do with this thread that is why it is in the General section

3 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Kaep could have played better than Bortles and Taylor. JMO. But it is the off the field stuff that keeps him from being signed. 

agreed people give Kaep so much for not winning after Harbaugh left but look at what he had to work with 2 HCs that should've never been coaches and poor rosters and a front office that was needing a fresh start no arguing he got the bad end of the stick

I don't think Kaep was to blame for all of the 49ers issues but he played a role he was never much of a leader on his own. I don't see him as dedicated as say Russell Wilson is. 

He didn't take it seriously and the 49ers were rather unstable. 

Plus he's not talented enough to justify teams taking a flyer out on him with his baggage.

On 1/5/2018 at 10:39 PM, lance_m8 said:

If rosa parks wasn't great she wouldn't have sat in the front of the bus his actions go beyond football he gave up his life to better the lives of others I think that is the only great that matters

Colin is no Rosa parks

No the powers that be decided him headlining the protest that he did was enough to keep him out of the NFL and I expect them to stick to that.  

That's the price one pays for speaking their mind in this country.  And it honestly doesn't matter which side you are on, if you speak your mind you could end up paying a price for it.  The funny thing is we try to encourage our youth to speak their minds politically.  But the reality is that it pays off better if you just keep your mouth shut.  

Kaep and other QBs that entered the league at that same time, were riding the wave of wildcat offenses.  It took the defenses about a year to figure them out and every quarterback that couldn't adapt is gone.  RG3 & Kaep being the most notable.  Also, any QB that requires a specialized offense to utilize (Tebow,) or is more inclined to run that stay safer in the pocket is a longterm liability rather than an asset.  There aren't many that have survived and thrived historically and if they get injured the entire team's success is completely at risk.  

If Kaep was honest with himself, he would understand the issues and work toward resolving them.  

6 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

No the powers that be decided him headlining the protest that he did was enough to keep him out of the NFL and I expect them to stick to that.  

That's the price one pays for speaking their mind in this country.  And it honestly doesn't matter which side you are on, if you speak your mind you could end up paying a price for it.  The funny thing is we try to encourage our youth to speak their minds politically.  But the reality is that it pays off better if you just keep your mouth shut.  

If can Newton did this,   he would still be playing.   Colin is a backup qb not worth the trouble

17 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

If can Newton did this,   he would still be playing.   Colin is a backup qb not worth the trouble

Colin is somewhere between a backup and a starter.  Kind of like a Ryan Fitzpatrick kind of player.  So yes his relative talent level does play a part in this.  But he has enough talent to be on a roster easily if we're operating on talent alone.

Thing is that he's symbolic of a movement that a lot of people hate and signing him would likely cost an NFL team fans.  So they just don't.  

But make no mistake he's being blackballed.  He's better then most of the backups in the league.  And the reason that he's not on a roster is that he started a protest.  

Again doesn't matter which side you are on, speaking your mind in this country can get you in trouble.  It can happen to anyone not just him.  Professionally speaking in most cases unless you are a professional politician, you are better off just keeping your mouth shut.  

9 minutes ago, HectorRoberts said:

I don’t get how him disrespecting the National anthem is going to change anything in the black community’s.... all he did is draw unwanted attention to himself.

I am not too sure about that HR?

I say that because after the dust settled from his first time doing it he then continued. IMO it was to draw attention to himself. He is still playing the victim card today.

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 3:20 PM, lance_m8 said:

You can not put kaep in the same boat as tebow

Sure I can...Jesus had 12 sinners in the boat with him when he calmed the storm. A few years ago nobody would touch Tebow as even a back up...not because he couldn't win you games if called upon (because clearly he could) but because of the headache and media coverage that would follow him. But both were better than a lot of qbs in the league....there is more to being on a team than just being good enough.

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 3:00 PM, Coltsman1788 said:

Thanks dgambill.  I meant no offense by calling your argument "anti-Kap".  I was just pointing out that it was a well reasoned argument for why he wasn't in the league that also acknowledged that he was talented enough to still be playing.  For that...I can respect your viewpoint even though we might disagree at the end of the day on  whether or not Kap has been black balled to some extent. 

To the bolded, I offer that Kap likely feels that his greater moral responsibility is to the black community and to those victims of police brutality that do not have the same platform he has to be heard.  And even WITH Kap's platform many still refuse to hear him or have decided to distract from his message altogether to avoid having to face the issue.   While some might label Kap as a selfish teammate who isn't putting his team first ...others will say that he has acted selflessly and sacrificed much in empathy for those in his community who are in totally different circumstances.  Kap didn't have to do any of this and is paying a heavy cost for embarking down the road he chose.  But sometimes in life you count up the costs and decide to proceed if passionate enough in what you believe in.  Nevertheless, your point remains that NFL teams in analyzing his situation from their perspective very well could see it as you have articulated above.  I think we both agree that it doesn't make Kap wrong for choosing the course that he did or that he lacks the talent to play in the NFL. 

Oh he has talent....there are situations he could certainly start in front of...and most definitely could back up. I don't think he is being black balled in the sense of league wide conspiracy....I think each and every team has made the decision for themselves that the risk/reward for all the reasons I've stated before he just isn't worth bringing into the organization. I don't think its a conspiracy...just simply teams aren't going to take the risk of taking him on vs the value that he would bring to the organization. Do I think they all colluded to keep him out...no...I feel like he could definitely play but he is organizationally toxic and teams have each made their own accessment and decided to not sign him. Seattle kinda surprises me because I actually think he would be a good back up to Russell and could continue a lot of what they do on offense (at a lesser success) if Russell went down but I think Colin just wasn't interested in the role. I think he believes himself to be a starter and also wants to continue to be out in front on this issue and there just isn't a team willing to let him do both. In a league were talent just about trumps anything you do he could find a team if he was willing to play the role they ask...he isn't...its his right....but I don't think he will find employment if he doesn't change that....and at this point I don't think that is his biggest priority.

watching Kap play was cool back a few  years ago, he was nothing special the last year he played, doubt he'll be missed horribly.

On 1/6/2018 at 8:11 AM, Coltsman1788 said:

Kapernick’s stats the last season he played were better than a lot of scrubs currently with second and third string backup jobs.  He also has better career stats than several of them including the two guys who played QB for the Colts last year.  So just stop it. We know what it is.  Some continue to not want to face up to it.  Not signing someone due to controversy and feared fan/media backlash is one thing but there are guys in this league who have committed domestic abuse and other offenses that these owners have given second chances to.  Kap wasn’t signed by these owners not because of lack of skill...it is because of what he supposedly represents that many in white America are afraid of. Peaceful protest is all Kap is guilty of and for that he was put on a public cross.  But it doesn’t matter now because this all has been good for Kap all things considered.  His platform and base has gotten stronger thanks to the NFL owners.  That’s what happens when you turn someone into a living martyr. He knows now that his influence is even more powerful...not playing.

Even General Patton got benched for being a PITA. Kaepernick is a marginal player, at best, who wore socks naming the police pigs.  He's not worth the maintenance to any current owner. 

8 hours ago, Roger said:

Even General Patton got benched for being a PITA. Kaepernick is a marginal player, at best, who wore socks naming the police pigs.  He's not worth the maintenance to any current owner. 

You’re entitled to your our opinion. However, “pig” is a slur for a dirty cop who is unworthy of respect. The socks were worn to protest the bad cops out there who are callously killing people unjustly.  Good cops aren’t referred to as “pigs” just the bad ones.  

5 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

You’re entitled to your our opinion. However, “pig” is a slur for a dirty cop who is unworthy of respect. The socks were worn to protest the bad cops out there who are callously killing people unjustly.  Good cops aren’t referred to as “pigs” just the bad ones.  

Uh huh. I don't believe that.  The five cops killed in Dallas weren't dirty.  Kaepernick supported this anti-cop environment.  He's poison to NFL owners.

On 1/9/2018 at 2:25 PM, HectorRoberts said:

I don’t get how him disrespecting the National anthem is going to change anything in the black community’s.... all he did is draw unwanted attention to himself.

First, Kaep, specifically protested against Law Enforcement.  That was embraced as a black thing on the Left and rebuked as an unpatriotic thing on the Right.  So the whole thing fit in with the themes of the election and got tons of media attention.  Just the same, there are a lot of felons playing in the NFL and Kaep's crimes did not approach dog fighting, child abuse, or, well, shooting himself with an unregistered gun.  Ray Lewis has a statue outside M&T Bank Stadium.  Kaep's problem is that he was not good enough to overcome the loss of goodwill of the fans.  Had this just been a Kaep thing or a 49'ers thing, he would probably have found work in the NFL, but he earned the contempt of a lot of fans and what team wants to bring in a player who will be booed at home games?  Icing on the cake is that he is costing the league a lot of money every week.  He is not taking a knee now, but this was not a problem until he did.

Going back to the original question, the answer is almost certainly no.