Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

C Mike Person

strt182

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think Person has been a pleasant surprise...    I would not be surprised if he and perhaps Bond as well are both on the roster next year as backups... 

Gkad you posted this as a topic...

I was really impressed with how well Bond performed at the start of the season from coming off the street.  He is listed as "G" on the roster and so I had hoped he could slide to RG once Kelly returned and see how he can do there, even just to evaluate him for 2018.

These are big "if's" but if you get a healthy Mewhort back next year, if Bond can play RG and if we bring in a strong RT in the draft or FA, the line would look a lot better, at least on paper.  Person and Haeg backups. Clark booted out the door.

There is hope..........

1 hour ago, zibby43 said:

Slight non-sequitur: Kelly had a great rookie season.  Kid has all the tools to be an elite C in the league.

Anybody else starting to worry about his durability, just a little bit?  Man I hope injuries don't derail his potential.

I wonder if the concussion issues would still be "ongoing" if we were in the playoff hunt.  Concussions are cumulative and its a lost season, so they may just not want him out there banging heads for no real gain.

Haven't heard anything about recurring foot problems.

1 hour ago, DaveA1102 said:

I was really impressed with how well Bond performed at the start of the season from coming off the street.  He is listed as "G" on the roster and so I had hoped he could slide to RG once Kelly returned and see how he can do there, even just to evaluate him for 2018.

These are big "if's" but if you get a healthy Mewhort back next year, if Bond can play RG and if we bring in a strong RT in the draft or FA, the line would look a lot better, at least on paper.  Person and Haeg backups. Clark booted out the door.

There is hope..........

I hope we don't play the "IF game at G again. We need at least one real G and have for it seems like for ever. We may need two depending on Mewhort. I'm hoping we sign Norwell to fill one spot and go from there 

Bond did well for an UDFA forced to start but I wouldn't get carried away.  I'm not comfortable with penciling him in anywhere. He can battle for a roster spot if he shows position flexibility he could be a good back up. 

6 hours ago, zibby43 said:

Slight non-sequitur: Kelly had a great rookie season.  Kid has all the tools to be an elite C in the league.

Anybody else starting to worry about his durability, just a little bit?  Man I hope injuries don't derail his potential.

Everyone gets hurt, but it is a bit worrying. He’s mainly been dealing with concussions, so no physical durability, just too many hits to the head. 

I've mentioned it in other threads...I think our Center play has been as good without Kelly as it has been with. Is that Person playing great for a back up or does that just signal Kelly has been basically average....not sure. I think Kelly has done well in pass protection but nothing special in the run game. So that brings me to the question...did we overdraft Kelly considering he plays a position that is not typically highly valued on the OL? Guess time will tell.

21 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think Person has been a pleasant surprise...    I would not be surprised if he and perhaps Bond as well are both on the roster next year as backups... 

Gkad you posted this as a topic...

Its hard to hope for stuff like this when last year we thought the line was making progress... darn oline keeping us on our heels... figuratively. 

13 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

Its hard to hope for stuff like this when last year we thought the line was making progress... darn oline keeping us on our heels... figuratively. 

14 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

I hear you...   I feel you...    other than the loss of Luck, the never ending, ongoing issues with the O-line is the biggest disappointment for me.

I too thought it was fixed.  I like the coach.   I like the players.    But this year has been a huge disappointment,  a complete regression.   What the heck happened?!?

Next year is year SEVEN in our attempt to build a quality line.    I did not think that was humanly possible...      (Sigh...)

23 hours ago, DougDew said:

I wonder if the concussion issues would still be "ongoing" if we were in the playoff hunt.  Concussions are cumulative and its a lost season, so they may just not want him out there banging heads for no real gain.

Haven't heard anything about recurring foot problems.

Very good question.  We're living in a new era in terms of how concussions are dealt with.  Kuechly is my canary in the coal mine right now.  With as many concussions as he has had, so long as he's still playing, I have hope for Kelly.

Of course, I say that in jest, as every player has unique reactions to concussions.  (I'm looking at you Austin Collie.  Poor kid became one of the poster boys for the NFL head trauma crisis.)

My question is this: How many Colts have elected to go with this helmet?  Couldn't hurt.

https://vicis.com/

18 hours ago, ColtsBlitz said:

Everyone gets hurt, but it is a bit worrying. He’s mainly been dealing with concussions, so no physical durability, just too many hits to the head. 

Yep.

OL and DL are constantly cracking helmets, but because they're doing in it a phone booth, you don't see as many violent concussions like you get with skill players.  Wonder what the statistical breakdown is in terms of concussions by position group.

Kickers and punters at the bottom.  I'm confident in that, at least.

Person has played well and he is the type of player you want on your team.

Someone else mentioned Boyd and his play in the preseason and 1st couple of games (I don't remember when he got injured) was phenomenal.  I can see Boyd competing for and winning a starting guard spot in 2018.

The line needs kelly back though, his run blocking and pass blocking are top tier and the few games he played this year he already looked several steps beyond his solid rookie season.

On 12/20/2017 at 7:24 AM, akcolt said:

I hope we don't play the "IF game at G again. We need at least one real G and have for it seems like for ever. We may need two depending on Mewhort. I'm hoping we sign Norwell to fill one spot and go from there 

Bond did well for an UDFA forced to start but I wouldn't get carried away.  I'm not comfortable with penciling him in anywhere. He can battle for a roster spot if he shows position flexibility he could be a good back up. 

You took the words right out of my mouth. We may have found good backups, but it stops there. I wouldn’t start trying to envision those guys being starters anytime soon. The fixes for the OL are not on this roster.

On 12/20/2017 at 1:55 PM, NewColtsFan said:

I hear you...   I feel you...    other than the loss of Luck, the never ending, ongoing issues with the O-line is the biggest disappointment for me.

I too thought it was fixed.  I like the coach.   I like the players.    But this year has been a huge disappointment,  a complete regression.   What the heck happened?!?

Next year is year SEVEN in our attempt to build a quality line.    I did not think that was humanly possible...      (Sigh...)

Counted the eggs before they hatched is what happened, and it’s a common trend here. We’re all guilty of it. Some people don’t understand patience. It takes time to build offensive and defensive lines.

And there was also the reluctance of some to admit how bad Grigson was at his job. Everyone is agreement now, but some people don’t realize that he was worse than bad. People had a lot of faith in him after 2012, and faith like that is hard to shake. That’s why every time he brought in some random street FA from Timbuktu University or the CFL people overrated them. Guys like Duron Carter, Delano Howell, Josh Robinson (I was guilty of overrating him more than anyone else probably), etc...

This line thing is frustrating but I think Ballard will fix it, and fix it the right way. We just have to be patient as a fan base and trust the process.