Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why didn't Colts sign QB Brian Hoyer

Rackeen305

Let's see - Choose 1 Option:

1)  Sign with the Colts, get pounded week after week and then sit when Luck returns

2)  Sign with the Pats, watch Tom Brady for 3 years, maybe win a Super Bowl or two and barely break a sweat.

I believe he made the right choice, of those were his options...no evidence he had option #1

45 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

What does following football have to do with looking at raw numbers? By the numbes Hoyer is better than every QB on the Colts ACTIVE roster. Which is why the PATS traded us Brissett, and signed a better QB. jmo

It is really simple. We already HAVE a backup QB in BRISSETT that should be as good or just as likely better than

YOUR guy, when we NEED him to be.

I KNOW Hoyer can throw it around pretty well at times, but he is well known for what his ceiling is. A Loser.

And his ____ was on the bench behind Rookie 3rd rd pick.  What a GUY.

lmao  at your reason for the Dorsett for Brissett trade.

Hoyer has a good shot at a SB Ring... NOW.
There was NOTHING for him to come here for. He went to a superior job.

"Brian's a smart guy," Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels said of Hoyer on Wednesday. "He's got, obviously, some years in our system and our terminology, so it will be kind of a cram session here, but I don't expect that to take forever because Brian's an intelligent guy that had plenty of exposure to what we do, and I know he'll work hard. Hopefully we'll catch him up really quickly."

1 hour ago, Rackeen305 said:

What does following football have to do with looking at raw numbers? By the numbes Hoyer is better than every QB on the Colts ACTIVE roster. Which is why the PATS traded us Brissett, and signed a better QB. jmo

I actually spit out some of my drink chortling at this...very funny post! Thanks!

2 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

Your numbers are only each time he played one team (with a bad defense as well). Some players do well against certain teams. Look at the rest of his stats, specifically this season:

WK Opp Result G GS Comp Att Pct Yds Avg TD Int Sck SckY Rate
1 CAR L 3-23 1 1 24 35 68.6 193 5.5 0 1 4 27 70.3
2 @ SEA L 9-12 1 1 15 27 55.6 99 3.7 0 1 2 10 48.2
3 LA L 39-41 1 1 23 37 62.2 332 9 2 1 4 24 98
4 @ ARI L 15-18 1 1 24 49 49 234 4.8 0 1 3 24 54.3
5 @ IND L 23-26 1 1 29 46 63 353 7.7 2 0 2 17 101.1
6 @ WAS L 24-26 1 1 4 11 36.4 34 3.1 0 0 1 10 45.3
        Average 19.8 34.2 55.8 207.5 5.6 0.7 0.7 2.7 18.7 69.5

The Brissett trade also had nothing to do with them signing Hoyer. They traded their QB3 for a talented but misused WR to help with a WR corps that was hurting after Edelman went down. They signed Hoyer because he's a known commodity to them. He's played in their system and would be able to step in quickly, if needed. BB didn't play 4d chess and dupe us into taking Brissett while they got Hoyer, it just ended up happening.

1 hour ago, Rackeen305 said:

IF nothing will help this season, Then just start Tolzen, So that we could lose the proper way and gain a higher pick.

Playing Brissett builds his value to be able to flip him for a higher pick next offseason.

3 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000870721/article/brian-hoyer-signs-threeyear-contract-with-patriots

I know we have backup QB Scott Tolzen on the roster, and Tolzen has demonstrated how well he plays as a backup QB, But why didn't the Colts sign Brian Hoyer, Instead he signs with the New England Patriots for 3 years.

BTW the last 3 times QB Hoyer played the Colts, He Lost but looking at the numbers, it was no fault of his own.

2017 / L 23-26 / 63% Comp / 353 Yrd / 2 TD 0 INT / 2 Sacks

2016 / L 23-29 / 77% Comp / 397 Yrd / 2 TD 0 INT / 0 Sacks

2015 / L 20-27 / 77% Comp / 312 Yrd / 2 TD 1 INT / 0 Sacks

image.png

I hate the fact that you liked a post of mine in this thread because your work throughout has not been very good.  Kind of a guilt by association type thing...

1) How do you know they didn't try to?  Or better question, why would they want to?

2) From the word go, Hoyer was always going back to New England after the Jimmy G trade.  Anyone with ounce of common sense saw this was happening.  They literally had Brady as the only QB on the roster and a guy who has experience in their system was on the open-market?  No brainer.

3) Not that it matters really to this discussion except that you did mention it in your post.  The fact the Pats signed him to a 3 year deal is really pretty meaningless.  I think the odds are better than 50/50 that Hoyer is on the open market come the Spring and if the Colts want him then, they can have him.  They won't but will likely have the option.

Why in the heck would we sign Hoyer, Kap, or any other established  QB that may come in and win a few games and screw up our draft position???  The Colts have done silly stuff like that on multiple occasions. We almost blew the opportunity to draft Luck by beating Houston in the last game that season...

And what was Houston thinking not letting us win???  They could have ensured us RG3 instead of Luck...  Fools.  We also pulled the same move last year playing Luck in a meaningless game and costing us a draft spot.  It was even more foolish, knowing now that Luck would require surgery soon after...  It worked out ok both times but they just weren’t very logical decisions. 

And bringing in any established QB, for this total failure of a season, in an attempt to save Chuck’s job or win games and screw up our draft position and potential future would be extremely foolish and illogical as well. 

51 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Why in the heck would we sign Hoyer, Kap, or any other established  QB that may come in and win a few games and screw up our draft position???  The Colts have done silly stuff like that on multiple occasions. We almost blew the opportunity to draft Luck by beating Houston in the last game that season...

And what was Houston thinking not letting us win???  They could have ensured us RG3 instead of Luck...  Fools.  We also pulled the same move last year playing Luck in a meaningless game and costing us a draft spot.  It was even more foolish, knowing now that Luck would require surgery soon after...  It worked out ok both times but they just weren’t very logical decisions. 

And bringing in any established QB, for this total failure of a season, in an attempt to save Chuck’s job or win games and screw up our draft position and potential future would be extremely foolish and illogical as well. 

Because these players are paid to win games when they can?

A tanking mentality is for losers.

It has already a known fact it is not where you pick in the draft, it's who is taken. The Patriots have the hardware to prove that point.

47 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

It has already a known fact it is not where you pick in the draft, it's who is taken. The Patriots have the hardware to prove that point.

The Patriots have the hardware because their coach is a football scholar and great teacher of the game.  He knows how to get the most out of the players he’s got. We don’t have that luxury.  In fact we have the opposite happening here. We’re not getting the most out of the talent we have and putting them in the best position to win.  We’re trending toward a terrible season and a high draft pick in every round that can give this roster a much needed talent infusion. I hope management and ownership are thinking like that and not trying to win an extra game or 2 as some kind of moral victory...

And I was referring to the organization signing Hoyer. I said nothing about players tanking.  In fact, my post clearly alludes to the fact that bringing in a more experienced QB would ultimately help us win more games because players more often than not are trying to win.  We need to just sit back and let our inept coaches keep us headed to that high draft position until we can dump them. And not get false hope that we can get some moral victory out of this season because Deshaun Watson just blew his knee out. 

Finish taking our lumps this year and come back next year remodeled, refocused, and ready to retake the AFC South. 

11 minutes ago, J@son said:

Because that's simply not how NFL teams operate 

Thank goodness for us in that case...  I bet you Bill Belichick thinks like that...  He comes across as a football mind that thinks deeply on all possibilities. Even if it means circumventing or bending the rules.

He and the Patriots are playing chess while most other organizations are playing checkers...  I’m ready for us to get back to playing chess against the Hoodie and lose this checkers playing mentality the organization has regressed to since Polian was fired. 

39 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I was just referring to the mindset of losing games on purpose for a better draft pick.

I 100% agree with this. I would never root for this team to lose ever. 

That said, they have shown that they don't need my help in that department either...

14 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Thank you!  I another thread I mentioned that I want to win no matter what.  Is it that heard to understand for some?  I am a fan of the team each and every week.  If we pick 1st or 32nd I will hope for the best player possible, and yes it can be done to help your team picking last.  As you mentioned the Pats are an example.  

1 hour ago, DaColts85 said:

Thank you!  I another thread I mentioned that I want to win no matter what.  Is it that heard to understand for some?  I am a fan of the team each and every week.  If we pick 1st or 32nd I will hope for the best player possible, and yes it can be done to help your team picking last.  As you mentioned the Pats are an example.  

There are some who think the Colts going for 2-14 to 11-5 for three seasons hurt us. IMO that is nonsense. The reason we had a huge drop off was because of poor drafting and too many bust few agent signings.

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

There are some who think the Colts going for 2-14 to 11-5 for three seasons hurt us. IMO that is nonsense. The reason we had a huge drop off was because of poor drafting and too many bust few agent signings.

Right!  Going 11-5 three straight seasons was great.  We could, COULD have continued to improve with good players being drafted and good moves with FA to help fill depth.  Grigson was not good, nor the scouts, with talent evaluation of some players.  The Bjorn Werner pick will never make sense to me.  I was highly upset on that one!  I thought for sure I was going to hear Xavier Rhodes name, like so sure of it!  Nope... 

Hi.  Patriots fan here.  Having seen Hoyer and Brissett both in action... Hoyer is not better than Brissett.  He's a little more experienced but JB is far more talented.  Bringing Hoyer in as a backup would make some sense considering the Colts just lost their starter and their backup is getting battered due to a weak OL, but it's not going to make or break anything, especially not this year.  Wait for FA.  Hopefully Brissett stays healthy all year and Luck is ready to go next season and the quarterback position goes from very weak, to one of the best QB in the league with a good fill-in guy behind him.

23 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

Thank goodness for us in that case...  I bet you Bill Belichick thinks like that...  He comes across as a football mind that thinks deeply on all possibilities. Even if it means circumventing or bending the rules.

He and the Patriots are playing chess while most other organizations are playing checkers...  I’m ready for us to get back to playing chess against the Hoodie and lose this checkers playing mentality the organization has regressed to since Polian was fired. 

I know some Jets fans who are (probably were at this point though) convinced that if the Jets season (as in the tank) versus the Browns/49ers/whoever and thus a chance to secure 1st overall pick would come down to the last game against the Patriots, Belichick would intentionally lose the game, lol.

On 11/02/2017 at 1:59 PM, jvan1973 said:

If Hoyer was a good long term solution,   the 49ers wouldn't have cut him

The 49ers were going to include him in the trade, but NE nixed that because it could have cost the Pats a comp pick.

https://www.ninersnation.com/2017/10/31/16579872/jimmy-garoppolo-trade-brian-hoyer-49ers-patriots-comp-pick-formula

Plus, the 49ers pay his full salary for 2017 and a good chunk for 2018.

They really wanted JG.

Edited by Roger

13 minutes ago, Roger said:

The 49ers were going to include him in the trade, but NE nixed that because it could have cost the Pats a comp pick.

https://www.ninersnation.com/2017/10/31/16579872/jimmy-garoppolo-trade-brian-hoyer-49ers-patriots-comp-pick-formula

Plus, the 49ers pay his full salary for 2017 and a good chunk for 2018.

They really wanted JG.

They could have kept Hoyer.   They didn't have to cut him

5 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

They could have kept Hoyer.   They didn't have to cut him

It sounds to me like it was part of the deal to cut Hoyer.  The Niners assured the Pats they would cut him. Paying him all his guaranteed money ($9 million plus in total for 2017 and 2018) was part of the price for JG. Pats are only paying Hoyer $4.4 million for the three years.  His payout from San Fran allowed him to sign a three year deal for less than one half what he got from the Niners.

Belichick and Shanahan are buddies.  And part of this deal was preserving comp picks and cap space.