Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why didn't Colts sign QB Brian Hoyer

Rackeen305

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000870721/article/brian-hoyer-signs-threeyear-contract-with-patriots

I know we have backup QB Scott Tolzen on the roster, and Tolzen has demonstrated how well he plays as a backup QB, But why didn't the Colts sign Brian Hoyer, Instead he signs with the New England Patriots for 3 years.

BTW the last 3 times QB Hoyer played the Colts, He Lost but looking at the numbers, it was no fault of his own.

2017 / L 23-26 / 63% Comp / 353 Yrd / 2 TD 0 INT / 2 Sacks

2016 / L 23-29 / 77% Comp / 397 Yrd / 2 TD 0 INT / 0 Sacks

2015 / L 20-27 / 77% Comp / 312 Yrd / 2 TD 1 INT / 0 Sacks

image.png

12 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000870721/article/brian-hoyer-signs-threeyear-contract-with-patriots

I know we have backup QB Scott Tolzen on the roster, and Tolzen has demonstrated how well he plays as a backup QB, But why didn't the Colts sign Brian Hoyer, Instead he signs with the New England Patriots for 3 years.

BTW the last 3 times QB Hoyer played the Colts, He Lost but looking at the numbers, it was no fault of his own.

image.png

You really don't follow FB much.  jmo

10 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Is this a trick question?  The answer is simple. He signed with the patriots. Look at Brady's age and Luck's age it is obvious where his chance to play come first.

I honestly think with a three year contract that Hoyer signed, the Pats are planning to have him as the backup until Brady retires. JMO, but that three years seems very coincidental to the number of years that Brady will probably play until he retires. The plan seems to be use Brady and Hoyer for three more years, than reload on two more QBs after Brady retires and Hoyer leaves via FA. I don't see Hoyer starting unless Brady gets hurt for the rest of his contract.

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I honestly think with a three year contract that Hoyer signed, the Pats are planning to have him as the backup until Brady retires. JMO, but that three years seems very coincidental to the number of years that Brady will probably play until he retires. The plan seems to be use Brady and Hoyer for three more years, than reload on two more QBs after Brady retires and Hoyer leaves via FA. I don't see Hoyer starting unless Brady gets hurt for the rest of his contract.

Maybe not in Hoyer's thought process?

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

Maybe not in Hoyer's thought process?

I honestly don't think Hoyer has a choice lol. If he starts for a year or two, then it happens. As long as Brady is playing, he won't though. Just my gut that he's an insurance policy for the rest of Brady's career, as Belichick seems to be able to make everyone decent that backs up Brady.

29 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

image.png

Why would they?  We have brissett as our backup

I have no idea if we offered...    but for discussion's sake, let's say we did..  we called and we offered...

Look where Hoyet signed...   he's got a chance to win a Super Bowl for the next three years.    Do the Colts?    Not likely.

The runner up I read was Green Bay.   Their future is better than ours.

We don't have as much to offer.   Money -- sure.    But a chance at winning and making a deep run in the playoffs?   Not so much.

7 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I honestly don't think Hoyer has a choice lol. If he starts for a year or two, then it happens. As long as Brady is playing, he won't though. Just my gut that he's an insurance policy for the rest of Brady's career, as Belichick seems to be able to make everyone decent that backs up Brady.

I mean look at it. Hoyer has had his chance at being a starter but that hasn't worked out. He has come to realize he has to be a back up now. Where you gonna go to be a back up with a pretty good chance of a ring other than the Pats? :D

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

I mean look at it. Hoyer has had his chance at being a starter but that hasn't worked out. He has come to realize he has to be a back up now. Where you gonna go to be a back up with a pretty good chance of a ring other than the Pats? :D

And to make it even easier for him he is going back to a system he is very familiar with.  Easy transition and decision to me.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

I have no idea if we offered...    but for discussion's sake, let's say we did..  we called and we offered...

Look where Hoyet signed...   he's got a chance to win a Super Bowl for the next three years.    Do the Colts?    Not likely.

The runner up I read was Green Bay.   Their future is better than ours.

We don't have as much to offer.   Money -- sure.    But a chance at winning and making a deep run in the playoffs?   Not so much.

Sorry NCF, didn't see your post till it was there. :dunno:

To do what?

Also, not to tell tales out of school, but according to some people that have been around him in the league, he is not exactly a "good teammate"...and not someone that's generally well-liked in the locker room...I don't know, I don't play in the NFL, this is not my opinion, I've never met the guy...but if there's even some truth to that, I wouldn't want him because as a third string QB, you aren't gonna play, but you are gonna be around...so your influence on the team is largely not-on-field production...

Anyway...glad he's not a Colt...we don't need him, he isn't good at football and, as a bonus, he might be the D word...

EDIT: As an aside, I found it kind of funny that the OP posted his numbers against the Colts. The one team that he absolutely could not play against after signing here. 

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

You really don't follow FB much.  jmo

What does following football have to do with looking at raw numbers? By the numbes Hoyer is better than every QB on the Colts ACTIVE roster. Which is why the PATS traded us Brissett, and signed a better QB. jmo

34 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Better question is why don't the Colts sign Stephen Morris and let Tolzein take a hike? 

Ive pondered the samething. In pre-season, Morris lead the Colts to a game winning TD against the Bengals, where PAGS was jumping all over him on the sideline. I knew that this last Bengals game was their revenge. 

2 minutes ago, UKColt13 said:

Because he wanted the Pats backup job. 

Because he didn’t want to play for a team that will lose all season.

Because he didn’t want to be a 3rd string QB when everyone is healthy.

Pick your favourite.

You do realize this is a forum right (for discussion sake)? and that you are not the GM?

pick your favorite.

2 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Guess how many W's Hoyer has this year 1 lmao that's less than JB

Again, did you look at the opening post? I showed you numbers for a QB that has better numbers than our current QBs. If you dont like Hoyer just say that. But the numbers dont lie. Just like the fact that Kap went to a Superbowl and multiple championship games. The numbers dont lie.

1 minute ago, Rackeen305 said:

Again, did you look at the opening post? I showed you numbers for a QB that has better numbers than our current QBs. If you dont like Hoyer just say that. But the numbers dont lie. Just like the fact that Kap went to a Superbowl and multiple championship games. The numbers dont lie.

Jb hasn't played near as long as Hoyer and he already looks to have more talent your stats don't say that 

2 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

Just because kaep has been to a SB and multiple championship games doesn't mean he's a great, or even good QB.  Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson both not only got to SBs but have SB rings.  I still wouldn't want either one of them even if they were in their prime.

11 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

Wait the same Brissett thats starting? the same guy that has how many Ws compared to how many Ls, And thats who our QB should be? Maybe we should just start Tolzen.

wins/losses do not reflect a QBs talent and stats never tell the whole story.  

Just now, J@son said:

Just because kaep has been to a SB and multiple championship games doesn't mean he's a great, or even good QB.  Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson both not only got to SBs but have SB rings.  I still wouldn't want either one of them even if they were in their prime.

Np, But With a competitive team and coach, Kap was probably the second/third best QB in the NFC behind AR/Brees. IF you dont know this, than...

6 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

Np, But With a competitive team and coach, Kap was probably the second/third best QB in the NFC behind AR/Brees. IF you dont know this, than...

That is your opinion and I definitely do not share it.

3 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

Then lets crown Eli the best Manning if numbers and Ws/Ls dont matter. 

I never said stats don't matter, I said they don't tell the whole story...and they don't.  Wins/Losses are for the team...not the QB.  Just because many in the media like to bring up a QBs "win/loss record" doesn't mean that stat actually means anything in determining a QBs skill set or abilities.

25 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

You do realize this is a forum right (for discussion sake)? and that you are not the GM?

pick your favorite.

I realise both of those things. And I answered your question with a couple of different reasons. 

Confused what answers you were expecting. 

3 minutes ago, UKColt13 said:

I realise both of those things. And I answered your question with a couple of different reasons. 

Confused what answers you were expecting. 

Im confused that you can speak in 3 different directions. Are you making A point or just rambling. 

Pick your favorite.

33 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

Wait the same Brissett thats starting? the same guy that has how many Ws compared to how many Ls, And thats who our QB should be? Maybe we should just start Tolzen.

Signing another qb to a 3 year contract isn't going to help things this season

Just now, Rackeen305 said:

Im confused that you can speak in 3 different directions. Are you making A point or just rambling. 

Pick your favorite.

I know no more than you or anyone else does. I know Hoyer played backup in NE some years ago. And a QB of his age is probably looking for his retirement club. I don’t see any reason why he’d come here over NE. Unless we shovelled money at him.

44 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

What does following football have to do with looking at raw numbers? By the numbes Hoyer is better than every QB on the Colts ACTIVE roster. Which is why the PATS traded us Brissett, and signed a better QB. jmo

If Hoyer was a good long term solution,   the 49ers wouldn't have cut him