Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

It shouldn't have been that hard

VaAllDay757

ALLIANCE Colts fans, nothing is perfect this yr & WE all know a change is coming in 2018 so just enjoy the W’s in a League that is hard to come by.  Let’s just root on our Colts Win or Lose & I promise by the end of the yr the FUTURE will be bright, Shades on!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

How many?? 

3 September 23 Jacksonville Jaguars L 17–22
September 16 Minnesota Vikings W 23–20 1–1    

almost lost it

September 15 Philadelphia Eagles L 27–30 0–2 Lucas Oil Stadium

October 18 New England Patriots L 27–34 3–3 Lucas Oil Stadium

October 25 New Orleans Saints L 21–27 3–4

Lucas Oil Stadium

October 2 at Jacksonville Jaguars L 27–30 1–3 Wembley Stadium

October 16 at Houston Texans L 23–26 (OT) 2–4 NRG Stadium

4 December 11 Houston Texans L 17–22 6–7 Lucas Oil Stadium

December 24 at Oakland Raiders L 25–33 7–8 Oakland Alameda Coliseum

I could see what the coaching staff thinking was. We had a sizeable lead all the way into the 4th qtr. You got a guy who is young and doesn't have but a portion of the playbook. No reason to keep chucking the ball down the field. They felt they had control of the game so they put it in the defenses hands to close the game out. Only problem in my opinion is defensively we kept extending drives with penalties or a guy would get beat. I still feel we need to tighten up in the secondary some. Like Monachino said last year after the Detroit game when you put up 30 plus on the board Chuck should be able to trust the D can close it out. Wasn't exactly like we drew it up, but they closed it. We probably lose that game last year.

Honestly, the bad penalties were a huge part of the Colts' offense bogging down in the 2 ND half. And some timely drops. Doyle is one of my favorites but he stunk today. Cost the team with his poor play also. So keep that in mind when assessing why the O couldn't move the ball after halftime. They shot themselves in the foot over and over. 

2 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Remember the first play (pass) play in OT last week?  The OC took turnovers out of his hands and decided to chew clock with RB's, not scrambles and incompletions/interceptions late in the game.

That play you speak of from OT last week, if memory serves, that was not an obvious clock chewing running down, there was no credible play action on the play, and the pass play chosen was not a quick, high percentage pass.  If fear of a similar interception in an entirely different situation crippled the OC, then the OC ought to be replaced.  I think your analogy is entirely off base.

6 hours ago, krunk said:

We just scored 31 points and got a win with a backup QB that's been here for 2 darn weeks and we are still trying to throw the coaches under the bus. Pittsburgh and Baltimore couldn't even put up that many points with their starting QBs and yet Chuck is the one who screws everything up? So the coaching staff doesnt get any credit for the 31 points? Man I swear we just lost. Second half could have been a little better but its like some of you just make up any little perceived mid step by the guy and magnify it by 10.

They get credit...but Brissett and Hilton took over the game in the first half. They were both on a mission.That Brissett spin move on the TD run was straight out of Madden. 

6 hours ago, Freenyfan102 said:
3 September 23 Jacksonville Jaguars L 17–22
September 16 Minnesota Vikings W 23–20 1–1    

almost lost it

September 15 Philadelphia Eagles L 27–30 0–2 Lucas Oil Stadium

October 18 New England Patriots L 27–34 3–3 Lucas Oil Stadium

October 25 New Orleans Saints L 21–27 3–4

Lucas Oil Stadium

October 2 at Jacksonville Jaguars L 27–30 1–3 Wembley Stadium

October 16 at Houston Texans L 23–26 (OT) 2–4 NRG Stadium

4 December 11 Houston Texans L 17–22 6–7 Lucas Oil Stadium

December 24 at Oakland Raiders L 25–33 7–8 Oakland Alameda Coliseum

I think the question (jvan correct me if I'm wrong) was how many games have we been up big in and then slowed up before going on to lose. You've given examples of some games where we didn't have the lead ever so.. I'm not sure what you're trying to say here.

14 hours ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

I didn't watch the game, couldn't get it down here and we are still cleaning up after Irma, I did take a look on my phone and saw it was 31-14 early in the 4th...what happened?

Hope you are doing alright man! 

Same old same old, as soon as we get a lead, Pagano thinks running up the middle 97% of the plays will somehow fool the defense. Then we go 3 and out with - 9 yards rushing. Then other team marches down the field and scores because our D is gassed from being on the field the whole time. Browns were two onside kicks (we recovered) away from winning that game. 

8 hours ago, rockywoj said:

That play you speak of from OT last week, if memory serves, that was not an obvious clock chewing running down, there was no credible play action on the play, and the pass play chosen was not a quick, high percentage pass.  If fear of a similar interception in an entirely different situation crippled the OC, then the OC ought to be replaced.  I think your analogy is entirely off base.

The whole point is....  who do you trust more with the ball (not to turn it over, and keep the clocking winding down) at the end of this_game? (and the opponent has No Timeouts remaining!)

Frank Gore pounding the rock and keeping the clock running (even with a 2:00 minute timeout looming)

Jacoby Brissett passing the ball around (limited playbook that the opponent has already seen and adjusted to)

For me, I'd rather have a proven NFL veteran running it over a 3 week QB with very little experience chucking it around the yard with time winding down and a small lead.  With Luck in there, I put it in his hands.  With JB right now? I would put it in Gore's hands. For now. 

1 hour ago, lollygagger8 said:

Hope you are doing alright man! 

Same old same old, as soon as we get a lead, Pagano thinks running up the middle 97% of the plays will somehow fool the defense. Then we go 3 and out with - 9 yards rushing. Then other team marches down the field and scores because our D is gassed from being on the field the whole time. Browns were two onside kicks (we recovered) away from winning that game. 

Thank you for the breakdown and well wishes.  I just wish that when they have a team down.....finish them off.  You would have to think after being destroyed in week one and then bending over in week two....that laying an azzz whooping on Cleveland would be welcomed?

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

The whole point is....  who do you trust more with the ball (not to turn it over, and keep the clocking winding down) at the end of this_game? (and the opponent has No Timeouts remaining!)

Frank Gore pounding the rock and keeping the clock running (even with a 2:00 minute timeout looming)

Jacoby Brissett passing the ball around (limited playbook that the opponent has already seen and adjusted to)

For me, I'd rather have a proven NFL veteran running it over a 3 week QB with very little experience chucking it around the yard with time winding down and a small lead.  With Luck in there, I put it in his hands.  With JB right now? I would put it in Gore's hands. For now. 

For 2nd & 3rd down, I trust running Gore.  For 1st down with the clock about to be stopped by the 2 minute warning, I trust Brissett to execute a fake handoff on his left to Gore, with Brissett then circling to the right on a QB option to either throw a little dink off pass to the TE that had moved inline for a chip block them broke off circling right for a 3-5 yard quick high percentage pass.  If he’s not WIDE open as expected, Brissett keeps the ball himself, using his athleticism to maybe pick up a yard or two or more, sliding instead of taking a tackle.  Guess I have more faith in the effectiveness of a professional, athletic QB coupled with imaginative, but at the same time conservative play calling, than you do.  I loathe playing “scared”, which is what the Colts did and what you are advocating.  Play to win, balanced with prudence, that’s what I am saying.

1 hour ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

Thank you for the breakdown and well wishes.  I just wish that when they have a team down.....finish them off.  You would have to think after being destroyed in week one and then bending over in week two....that laying an azzz whooping on Cleveland would be welcomed?

Exactly! 

Like Jacksonville when they were up 37-0 they pulled a fake punt and got like 50 yards on the play. 

We never finish!!! 

I was confident that we were going to win this game, and I thoroughly enjoyed the game. Yes I admit that it was confusing when we obviously changed our game plan immediately upon the start of the second half , when our team had been playing so well for the entire first half. Still , I am overjoyed to see the Colts playing well again. If we can manage to get Luck back I believe that we could still have a good season.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Go Colts !!!

5 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

colts would have blown them out if not for all of those penalties and doyles fumble in the second half

whats your point?

That the amount of drops Cleveland had was more defining for the game than the mistakes the Colts made.

13 minutes ago, James said:

That the amount of drops Cleveland had was more defining for the game than the mistakes the Colts made.

both teams made lots of mistakes.  take them all away and the game would look entirely different

the colts have been plagued by drops at times too including this very season, its part of the game

its like saying they could have won a basketball game if they didnt miss so many shots