Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Malik hooker's first int

CR91

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought he played great.  He made that great interception and seemed to be all over the place.  A lot of people questioned his tackling and I thought he tackled very well and when he was the last guy left to make a tackle a few times during a big play he ended it (which isn't a good thing if your safety keeps doing that).  Him and Wilson were fun to watch

The secondary is just inconsistent as the announcers pointed out today.  One series they look like a very good unit and the next like they have no business being in the NFL.  However, that's to be expected when they are pretty much only playing rookies and second year players back there right now.  Still it was good to see Hooker get that pick and I saw enough from Wilson today to know I'd rather see him play and take some lumps at corner than Green out there.

Definitely liked Quincy as well. Growing pains aside, he looks like he can play with the big boys, nice to see.

Not like the smurfs we've had over the years. Ballard wants guys like Berry in terms of size. Long and rangy.

Was happy about their efforts today.

15 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

The secondary is just inconsistent as the announcers pointed out today.  One series they look like a very good unit and the next like they have no business being in the NFL.  However, that's to be expected when they are pretty much only playing rookies and second year players back there right now.  Still it was good to see Hooker get that pick and I saw enough from Wilson today to know I'd rather see him play and take some lumps at corner than Green out there.

Personally, while I agree id rather see Wilson over Green, if we are taking lumps with a young secondary anyways id rather see Green out there over Melvin. We know Melvins ceiling already, and its pretty low. Green is a few months into a position hes never played, and he didnt look terrible in week 1, certainly better than I expected. More reps could be all he needs. 

4 hours ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

Personally, while I agree id rather see Wilson over Green, if we are taking lumps with a young secondary anyways id rather see Green out there over Melvin. We know Melvins ceiling already, and its pretty low. Green is a few months into a position hes never played, and he didnt look terrible in week 1, certainly better than I expected. More reps could be all he needs. 

On first watch, I actually thought Melvin played well yesterday, he seemed to be on top of a few breakups and did well with Fitz on the fade corner where they missed their chance to get a TD.

Agree the secondary looks like it has a lot of upside, but still a few plays with poor coverage, specifically in the middle of the field.  Taking those lessons and learning from them in the right way could make this a very good unit in the years to come.

6 hours ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

Melvin actually played well yesterday he just needs to be consistent more

In the secondary I think the communication needs to be cleaned up out there. Too many problems on rub routes and pass offs. Expected with young players. Will improve hopefully. We would have played an even tougher game on defense without those issues.

1 hour ago, Blue Shoe Savior 12 said:

He's the play-maker the Colts been searching for in the secondary.

Now we need Geathers back. He's our hammer.

If Davis and Geathers come back to us next season healthy.. God this secondary can be fun to watch.

I highly doubt we see Vontae back next year. Ballard wants guys who can be on the field and Vontae just can't stay healthy ever. He isn't dependable enough to bring back quite honestly. 

One definite low-light..#42 Harris.  Not sure his first name but that dude got abused all day.  He is also the one that slammed into the returner who had called for a fair catch.  Everyone else I was pleased with.  There were times where our assignments were off, but overall a solid day.

One other note, nothing against the DBs, but more than once Bostic looked lost in coverage.  Our MLBs have been atrocious in coverage for several years now.

What bothers me is why does it always happen like this? We never start our rookies, and then when we do, they shine. But it's always because of injuries. Hooker should have been starting. I think this goes against Pagano. While it's great that he performed, it looks bad that Pagano didn't start this kid from the jump.

13 minutes ago, krunk said:

In the secondary I think the communication needs to be cleaned up out there. Too many problems on rub routes and pass offs. Expected with young players. Will improve hopefully. We would have played an even tougher game on defense without those issues.

I agree, the team gave enough bright spots to be excited about but then we also seen those wide open receivers far too often during the game. I still cringe when it's 3rd and 15-20 because it almost feels like those plays are going to get completed for 1 yard more than is needed from the opponent. This has been a chronic issue they have to get fixed. 

8 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

What bothers me is why does it always happen like this? We never start our rookies, and then when we do, they shine. But it's always because of injuries. Hooker should have been starting. I think this goes against Pagano. While it's great that he performed, it looks bad that Pagano didn't start this kid from the jump.

Yep, people tell me I'm crazy when i said  that Pagano should of thrown Hooker into a trial by fire, he does week 2, and in his first game he does well and has an INT. Just typical bad coaching that needs to get replaced yesterday. It also shows that Pagano doesn't trust Ballard's picks by sitting them for Veterans.

2 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Pagano is a dead man walking and has been a stubborn * who plays the mantra of vets first regardless. This fool, while an nice person no doubt, is not an NFL quality coach. His way of handling a team can't come to an end soon enough for me. 

23 minutes ago, gnet550 said:

One definite low-light..#42 Harris.  Not sure his first name but that dude got abused all day.  He is also the one that slammed into the returner who had called for a fair catch.  Everyone else I was pleased with.  There were times where our assignments were off, but overall a solid day.

One other note, nothing against the DBs, but more than once Bostic looked lost in coverage.  Our MLBs have been atrocious in coverage for several years now.

#42 is Kenny Moore.

48 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Yep, people tell me I'm crazy when i said  that Pagano should of thrown Hooker into a trial by fire, he does week 2, and in his first game he does well and has an INT. Just typical bad coaching that needs to get replaced yesterday. It also shows that Pagano doesn't trust Ballard's picks by sitting them for Veterans.

And the funny thing is, is that I thought it was Grigson who always wanted veterans to play over rookies, but it looks like it's Pagano too. He's supposed to put the best players on the field but he never does unless we get injuries. 

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

he had 4 tackles in week one

im not about to defend pagano any more than this, but hooker missed most of the off season and was the starter in his second game. is that not soon enough for you?

1 minute ago, aaron11 said:

im not about to defend pagano any more than this, but hooker missed most of the off season and was the starter in his second game. is that not soon enough for you?

It's not enough because he was forced to start. If it was up to Pagano, he would of started Butler over Hooker again if he could.

1 minute ago, aaron11 said:

No because the person in front of him wasn't significantly better. Soon as he was healthy, which was awhile ago, he should have been the starter.

Just now, krunk said:

When I saw Carson Palmer let that pass go I had a feeling Malik was going to pick it off. Palmer didn't realize how much range Hooker has.

I had Hooker as the 2nd best player after Jamal Adams in the entire draft. Haven't seen the Jets first two games, but Hooker is doing very well for himself so far.

6 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I had Hooker as the 2nd best player after Jamal Adams in the entire draft. Haven't seen the Jets first two games, but Hooker is doing very well for himself so far.

Yeah they need to leave that same group out there and let them gel.  I could see some the communication problems that were happening out there because the group is not used to playing together.   Plenty of good things though.  I'd send Butler back to nickel/dime back and playing safety only in situations and as a reserve.  Maybe instead of having Kenny Moore out there yesterday you could have gave Butler that playing time.  Not that I'm giving moore a thumbs down, but I think have Nate Hairston and Darius Butler at the nickel and Dime corners ain't bad.

Just now, krunk said:

Yeah they need to leave that same group out there and let them gel.  I could see some the communication problems that were happening out there because the group is not used to playing together.   Plenty of good things though.

Yep, with Vontae coming back it will help, and if Geathers can come back from his neck issues, this secondary may be a force. We still need another CB in next year's draft though. Wilson isn't doing too bad himself either. Can't wait to see a PFF review for the Colts on week 2.

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

Yep, with Vontae coming back it will help, and if Geathers can come back from his neck issues, this secondary may be a force. We still need another CB in next year's draft though. Wilson isn't doing too bad himself either. Can't wait to see a PFF review for the Colts on week 2.

I like Nate Hairston as well.   I think he could play on the outside too.

2 minutes ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

Watched it live, it was awesome.  I knew Palmer was good for at least one INT.  Quincy should have had one and Fairley most certainly should have had one as well.  I thought overall Hooker and Wilson played well. 

It was definitely exciting that the INT was from Hooker, that made me pop, and not much has made me do that so far this year. Like seeing your son do that for the first time in a little league game. Happy for Hooker!

Just now, krunk said:

I like Nate Hairston as well.   I think he could play on the outside too.

That was a nice sack by him! He has potential everywhere IMO. That was a nice gem by Ballard. He has starter potential even right now. Great to have a GM that knows what he is doing. This draft was better defensively IMO, then all of Grigson's put together.

3 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

How did Basham do yesterday? I was watching on gametracker and had no live footage of him.

I don't recall seeing him much.  Don't think he got as much opportunity in this one. Saw him a time or two.  Think he's going to show more as we go along.   You can see the flashes but I think he's still getting some things figured out.   I'm not really in that big of a rush.  I remember Vic Beasley took all of his 1st year and part of the 2nd year before he showed much.

5 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

It was definitely exciting that the INT was from Hooker, that made me pop, and not much has made me do that so far this year. Like seeing your son do that for the first time in a little league game. Happy for Hooker!

He played well in general.  I believe the long TD that the Cardinals got, Fairley got caught looking and Hooker was out that snap?  I could be wrong though.  I really hope Geathers is able to come back, can you imagine Geathers and Hooker out there together?  Both are big safeties too.  They'd be an awesome tandem.