Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Are the Colts tanking?

Pacergeek

After deciding to waive Stephen Morris, and keeping Scott Tolzien, it appears the Colts are tanking. After pre-season, it was obvious that Morris was the better player. Having Tolzien as your starter, instead of Morris, gives the Colts a better chance of losing. If you believe that Scott gives us the same or even better chances of winning, then you are free to have your opinion, but would be incorrect.

Ballard inherited a mess of a roster, and implied during his introductory press conferences that this was going to take time. In terms of winning games, Ballard didn't have any sense of urgency. 

If Luck will miss extended time, tanking makes sense. Our defense is horrible, and we need a star player on defense to get the ball rolling. Best place to find a star defender is picking high in the draft. 

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think you understand what tanking is. What the Jets or Bills are doing is tanking. Colts are rebuilding. No one in their right mind would tank with Luck. Waiving Morris and keeping Tolzien isn't that big of a deal. Brissett is going to be the backup, and Tolzien is a veteran who has more experience. Ballard has been working on the defense. There are lots of young, talented pieces on it, although it still has some holes. 

11 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

After deciding to waive Stephen Morris, and keeping Scott Tolzien, it appears the Colts are tanking. After pre-season, it was obvious that Morris was the better player. Having Tolzien as your starter, instead of Morris, gives the Colts a better chance of losing. If you believe that Scott gives us the same or even better chances of winning, then you are free to have your opinion, but would be incorrect.

Ballard inherited a mess of a roster, and implied during his introductory press conferences that this was going to take time. In terms of winning games, Ballard didn't have any sense of urgency. 

If Luck will miss extended time, tanking makes sense. Our defense is horrible, and we need a star player on defense to get the ball rolling. Best place to find a star defender is picking high in the draft. 

IMO if Irsay thought for one second this team was tanking he would fire everyone from Ballard all the way down to the equipment men.

9 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

I don't think you understand what tanking is. What the Jets or Bills are doing is tanking. Colts are rebuilding. No one in their right mind would tank with Luck. Waiving Morris and keeping Tolzien isn't that big of a deal. Brissett is going to be the backup, and Tolzien is a veteran who has more experience. Ballard has been working on the defense. There are lots of young, talented pieces on it, although it still has some holes. 

If you want to beat the Rams, don't you start Morris? Starting Tolzien gives us better chance of losing. 

2 minutes ago, Bluesmith said:

I wholeheartedly disagree with everything you said.  That is all I can say I guess.  This team is leaps and bounds better than the 2016 team.

Bar is pretty low if  if 2016 is the comparison... but 8-8 May be realistic with these coaches.

1 minute ago, Pacergeek said:

If you want to beat the Rams, don't you start Morris? Starting Tolzien gives us better chance of losing. 

So the crux of all this is Tolzien over Morris.  If that is your proof that we are tanking, then I stand by my original statement.  Especially considering that we traded for Brissett.

16 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

Well, taking Daniels over Williams when Daniels can't catch the ball tells you something. 

3 minutes ago, Bluesmith said:

So the crux of all this is Tolzien over Morris.  If that is your proof that we are tanking, then I stand by my original statement.  Especially considering that we traded for Brissett.

If the Colts are serious about winning, then they do whatever it takes to make sure Tolzien doesn't start against Los Angeles.

1 minute ago, Pacergeek said:

Ballard knows more about football than anyone here. He has to know that Tolzien sucks. It isn't like we are talking about a QB that has had prior success, like Fitzpatrick. What possible incentive would Ballard have to keep Scott on the roster?

Just to be sure I understand you correctly, you concede that Ballard knows football more than any of us combined, but for some reason, in his inaugural season, he has decided to make roster moves that will "tank" our season.  Is it possible that there is some information that we arent privy to by watching backups vs backups in meaningless preseason games instead of some foil hat nonsense?

1 minute ago, Bluesmith said:

Just to be sure I understand you correctly, you concede that Ballard knows football more than any of us combined, but for some reason, in his inaugural season, he has decided to make roster moves that will "tank" our season.  Is it possible that there is some information that we arent privy to by watching backups vs backups in meaningless preseason games instead of some foil hat nonsense?

There is no possible way that Tolzien is better than Morris. What kind of information are you referring to?

In the third preseason game, there was no noticeable difference between Tolzien and Morris.  This is the only game where something above a vanilla game plan is installed.  Even if you concede that Morris slightly outplayed Tolzien in that game, how in the wild wild world of sports do you conflate that to tanking the season?

People need to remember, coaches see the players practice every day. We don't. I do not like Tolzien as our backup, but I really don't think Morris is a capable QB2 either. That is why we made a trade. If we traded someone like Mewhort or Hilton, then I would be worried we were tanking. 

13 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

There is no possible way that Tolzien is better than Morris. What kind of information are you referring to?

Morris' grasp on the playbook, how he looks in practice, effort put forth in training room/ film room. Lots of information that we as fans dont see. There was obviously something going on behind the scenes that the coaches/ballard didnt like. He was even behind Walker for much of camp. 

You say Ballard knows more than any of us, so trust that he knows something that you dont. 

1 minute ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

Morris' grasp on the playbook, how he looks in practice, effort put forth in training room/ film room. Lots of information that we as fans dont see. There was obviously something going on behind the scenes that the coaches/ballard didnt like. He was even behind Walker for much of camp. 

You say Ballard knows more than any of us, so trust that he knows something that you dont. 

Those are all poor reasons to give Scott the job over Stephen. 

1 hour ago, IndyScribe said:

Right they know Tolizen knows the offense and can hold the fort down until Luck is ready to go or Brissett learns the offense.  The only meaningful game he's played since he got here Tolizen held his own.  I think he is underrated by the fans here and Morris is overrated.  Don't get me wrong there is a reason the Colts brought in Brissett and it wasn't to be a third string QB.  I just don't think the battle between Tolizen and Morris was ever that close in the Colts eyes. They pretty much proved that when Morris was behind Walker on the depth chart the first two weeks of the pre-season.