Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Where does Pat McAfee belong in NFL history?

Lucky Colts Fan

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, CR91 said:

if he played 20+ years, he just might have been the second punter to enter the hall

Technically there is another punter in the hall of fame.

Sammy Baugh was a QB, punter and defensive back. He still is second place record holder all time yardage.

He still holds the NFL record with 11 interceptions in a season.

One of the most amazing records he has is throwing for 4 TDs and interception 4 balls in one game.

9 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Technically there is another punter in the hall of fame.

Sammy Baugh was a QB, punter and defensive back. He still is second place record holder all time yardage.

He still holds the NFL record with 11 interceptions in a season.

One of the most amazing records he has is throwing for 4 TDs and interception 4 balls in one game.

True, but ask most people and they think of slinging Sammy as a QB

4 hours ago, CR91 said:

True, but ask most people and they think of slinging Sammy as a QB

That's true but he still holds records in punting even after all these years. The amazing thing is he did all these things with a football before it was streamlined.

On 2017-07-08 at 11:09 AM, 21isSuperman said:

I'd really like to agree with you here, but an elite QB has far more impact on the game than an elite punter.  McAfee not making the HoF isn't an indication on his talent level or his abilities, but rather more of a comment on the structure of the game.  Punters don't have that much of an impact on the game.

I think their impact is under rated.  Really good punters are field flippers.  The impact of a short vs a long field is huge and good punters can flip that equation.   An integral part of the game ... that gets very little respect.  That's probably not going to change much, either. 

18 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

I think their impact is under rated.  Really good punters are field flippers.  The impact of a short vs a long field is huge and good punters can flip that equation.   An integral part of the game ... that gets very little respect.  That's probably not going to change much, either. 

^^^^^Quoted for truth...

I think some fans also underestimate how much Pat will be missed next season...

5 hours ago, rockywoj said:

Would you rather have the league's best punter, or the league's best receiver?  The league's best punter, or the league's best linebacker?  Punters play an important role, but other positions simply have more of an impact on each game

No chance for the Hall of Fame, because the NFL would be setting a dangerous precedent if despite his short career, they admitted him into the Hall. The NFL does not want players to retire early like this, as it's generally bad for the game.

On 7/7/2017 at 2:40 PM, GoPats said:

Ugh, no. Even if a punter does his job as well as anyone... he's still a punter. Sorry. 

Yeah pretty much, going to leave it at that.

But if you want to talk Adam Vinatieri and history we have more going on there.........I mean you do remember Adam? 

8 hours ago, Buck Showalter said:

^^^^^Quoted for truth...

I think some fans also underestimate how much Pat will be missed next season...

We are going to miss him horribly on the field. I hope not but I am afraid we will at times.

I am a stickler for good special teams play too. Bad special teams make me go ballistic, ask anyone who knows me......I hate special team screw ups or lousy special teams in general.

One of the bright spots in the Pagano era at times has been better then expected special teams. Sigh, I hope it continues.......

4 hours ago, rockywoj said:

I recall Rohn Stark was a heck of a good punter, too.  Colt's have been punter blessed, for the last few punter generations. 

Ha I loved the Rohn Stark/Dean Biasucci punter/kicker tandem, & Rohn with those locks, to quote Warren Zevon, "His hair was perfect."

On 7/7/2017 at 10:24 PM, crazycolt1 said:

Pat was more than just a punter. If he would have played for the Patriots you would be singing a different song.

No, I honestly would not. 

It doesn't matter what he did for the team, or the community. Nor does it matter than he also handled kickoffs, long FGs, or that he was the emergency QB.

Being a good citizen and being versatile for your team aren't criteria for the Hall of Fame. 

On 7/8/2017 at 0:23 PM, WoolMagnet said:

Oh go count your asterisks.

haha

I'll count 'em if you kiss our asterisks. haha

9 hours ago, Jules said:

But if you want to talk Adam Vinatieri and history we have more going on there.........I mean you do remember Adam? 

Absolutely. Different case by a mile. 

Even just the fundamental difference between punting (largely a "defensive play") and kicking (in the case of FGs, largely an "offensive" play) is important in that aspect. Kickers win and lose games. Punters, generally speaking, don't. 

And no one is more deserving regardless of their position than AV. 

On 7/7/2017 at 0:33 PM, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Ok, so maybe he doesn't make the HoF, I was just being a hopeful homer.  :thmup:

But still, Ray Guy is probably the only punter you can put above Boomstick.

We'll never know how good a career he could have had. If he had played a full career he still would've had decades to pursue a career with his personality. I can't imagine what he was thinking. There is a world of guys out there who are funny, but only a very very few who could do what he could with a football. Amazing!

41 minutes ago, bleevit said:

We'll never know how good a career he could have had. If he had played a full career he still would've had decades to pursue a career with his personality. I can't imagine what he was thinking. There is a world of guys out there who are funny, but only a very very few who could do what he could with a football. Amazing!

You couldn't imagine what he was thinking? How about his health? How about walking without a limp?  He has had 4 knee surgeries. Three while playing and one after he retired. There were times when he couldn't even walk after games. Add the fact he said his use of pain killers were effecting him negative.

He did not retire just to start a career in comedy. The opportunity was there and he took advantage of it at the time.

17 hours ago, Fluke_33 said:

I never felt he was a better punter than gardocki or hunter smith.  And gardocki's wife was just as interesting as pat on the local media when I was there 

Look at the numbers. Pat was better than Gardocki and Smith.

Pat-46.4

Gardocki-45.7

Smith-41.2

Mrs. Smith-0

Gardocki was more famous for flipping off Cowher two times.

11 hours ago, Jules said:

We are going to miss him horribly on the field. I hope not but I am afraid we will at times.

I am a stickler for good special teams play too. Bad special teams make me go ballistic, ask anyone who knows me......I hate special team screw ups or lousy special teams in general.

One of the bright spots in the Pagano era at times has been better then expected special teams. Sigh, I hope it continues.......

Your feeling about special teams play (or lack of) is spot on.

I lost count of games lost when Manning was here when after the Colts were in position to win or have an opportunity to win and poor special teams play give the chance away. Especially in playoff games.

1 hour ago, GoPats said:

Absolutely. Different case by a mile. 

Even just the fundamental difference between punting (largely a "defensive play") and kicking (in the case of FGs, largely an "offensive" play) is important in that aspect. Kickers win and lose games. Punters, generally speaking, don't. 

And no one is more deserving regardless of their position than AV. 

You can't disregard the effects of having a good punter does that effects the game. Field position, on side kicks or the threat of the punter running or passing for first downs. Not to mention Pats ability to tackle and make a big hit. He was a great special teams player that went far beyond just punting.

I know he never played the QB position in a game but just his ability to be named the emergency QB shows what a great player he truly was.

I went to a practice one time and seen him line up as a receiver and a defensive back. I ask him what was going on with that and he just laughed and said he was a jack of all trades. I can't think of any punter in history that put himself into the game as much as Pat did. He wasn't only a punter, he was a football player.

17 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

You can't disregard the effects of having a good punter does that effects the game. Field position, on side kicks or the threat of the punter running or passing for first downs. Not to mention Pats ability to tackle and make a big hit. He was a great special teams player that went far beyond just punting.

I know he never played the QB position in a game but just his ability to be named the emergency QB shows what a great player he truly was.

I went to a practice one time and seen him line up as a receiver and a defensive back. I ask him what was going on with that and he just laughed and said he was a jack of all trades. I can't think of any punter in history that put himself into the game as much as Pat did. He wasn't only a punter, he was a football player.

That's all good and I'm not disregarding the importance of punting and field position as it relates to the game overall. I'm just saying that the things you keep pointing out are more "ring of honor" than "pro football hall of fame" reasons.

His "ability to tackle and make a big hit," for instance, is not going to put him in Canton. 

The fact that he was the emergency QB and lined up at different positions in practice is also basically irrelevant in terms of his HOF status. I appreciate your affection for him and I get it, I really do. For Patriots fans, I'd relate it to someone like Troy Brown, a local favorite who was the consummate team player. He returned punts and kicks, and even played corner for a season. Very versatile guy and a Patriots legend, always put the team first and was awesome in the community.

But he wasn't HOF worthy, and neither is McAfee. 

17 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I second all of that.     We will be battling worse field position this year.    Kickoffs and punts.

McAfee is arguably the NFL’s best punter.

His name is seen everywhere in the Colts’ record books.

• Franchise records for punting average (46.4) and net punting average (39.8).

• Franchise records for kickoff (645) and touchbacks (350).

• Holds the six best individual punting seasons in Colts history.

• McAfee also has his name on NFL records for touchback percentage in a single season (87.0 percent in 2015) and he is the NFL’s all-time playoff leader in net punting average (46.9).

On 7/8/2017 at 10:09 AM, 21isSuperman said:

I'd really like to agree with you here, but an elite QB has far more impact on the game than an elite punter.  McAfee not making the HoF isn't an indication on his talent level or his abilities, but rather more of a comment on the structure of the game.  Punters don't have that much of an impact on the game.

As entertaining as it was to watch Pat do his thing over the years, I 100% agree that it's highly unlikely that he ends up in the HOF. He added a certain panache to the position that was fresh and made it pretty fun to watch, but his impact on the game overall was fairly minimal. Despite his antics, at the end of the day, he'll always be viewed as just a punter by anyone outside of the Colts fanbase.

3 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Look at the numbers. Pat was better than Gardocki and Smith.

Pat-46.4

Gardocki-45.7

Smith-41.2

Mrs. Smith-0

Gardocki was more famous for flipping off Cowher two times.

Don't get me wrong. He's a good player and I like him but even with those numbers (.7 diff plus i don't think ave punt is the best way to judge.  Pinning inside the 20 would mean more to me) I wouldn't say he's better than those two and stark who I forgot about. I remember gardockis wife on bob and Tom or other media.  Very charismatic.  Not sure if she could punt.  

6 hours ago, GoPats said:

No, I honestly would not. 

It doesn't matter what he did for the team, or the community. Nor does it matter than he also handled kickoffs, long FGs, or that he was the emergency QB.

Being a good citizen and being versatile for your team aren't criteria for the Hall of Fame. 

I'll count 'em if you kiss our asterisks. haha

When pigs fly or when Belichek and Brady play by the rules.

translation: NEVER

8 hours ago, GoPats said:

That's all good and I'm not disregarding the importance of punting and field position as it relates to the game overall. I'm just saying that the things you keep pointing out are more "ring of honor" than "pro football hall of fame" reasons.

His "ability to tackle and make a big hit," for instance, is not going to put him in Canton. 

The fact that he was the emergency QB and lined up at different positions in practice is also basically irrelevant in terms of his HOF status. I appreciate your affection for him and I get it, I really do. For Patriots fans, I'd relate it to someone like Troy Brown, a local favorite who was the consummate team player. He returned punts and kicks, and even played corner for a season. Very versatile guy and a Patriots legend, always put the team first and was awesome in the community.

But he wasn't HOF worthy, and neither is McAfee. 

No where did I say he was HOF worthy. The OP never even said that. Where all this HOF talk even come from I have no clue.

6 hours ago, Fluke_33 said:

Don't get me wrong. He's a good player and I like him but even with those numbers (.7 diff plus i don't think ave punt is the best way to judge.  Pinning inside the 20 would mean more to me) I wouldn't say he's better than those two and stark who I forgot about. I remember gardockis wife on bob and Tom or other media.  Very charismatic.  Not sure if she could punt.  

Pat owns just about every team record for punters in Colts history. You seem to be over looking a few.

Myles has them listed if you are interested.

For some reason this thread must have been mistaken for something it wasn't designed to say. The thread reads Where does Pat Mcafee  belong in NFL history. It does not ask if he belongs in the HOF. Just because someone mentioned he doesn't belong in the HOF a few have taken that as a debatable or argumentative issue.

Thread gone wild.  :D

17 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

You couldn't imagine what he was thinking? How about his health? How about walking without a limp?  He has had 4 knee surgeries. Three while playing and one after he retired. There were times when he couldn't even walk after games. Add the fact he said his use of pain killers were effecting him negative.

He did not retire just to start a career in comedy. The opportunity was there and he took advantage of it at the time.

I was unaware he had more knee surgery. My bad. Good Luck Pat.

8 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Pat owns just about every team record for punters in Colts history. You seem to be over looking a few.

Myles has them listed if you are interested.

That's great!   It doesn't change that I never felt he was better than those that came before him.  We are talking about punting right?   I don't think I ever felt happy that when the colts were punting that pat would get it to the other teams 25 instead of the 30.  I only care about a punt not being blocked or on the positive side being downed at the 1. 

I don't know who myles is or is that a publication or website?  I wonder who holds the team records for special teams gunner.  wait, no.  I don't care about those records either. 

1 hour ago, Fluke_33 said:

That's great!   It doesn't change that I never felt he was better than those that came before him.  We are talking about punting right?   I don't think I ever felt happy that when the colts were punting that pat would get it to the other teams 25 instead of the 30.  I only care about a punt not being blocked or on the positive side being downed at the 1. 

I don't know who myles is or is that a publication or website?  I wonder who holds the team records for special teams gunner.  wait, no.  I don't care about those records either. 

Well, that figures. If you don't know what having a great punter means to a football team that brings more than punting then you wouldn't understand anyway.

On 7/8/2017 at 7:10 PM, JPPT1974 said:

Pat needs his jersey retired. He was very popular in the community and with fans.

Only Peyton Manning of the Indianapolis Colts has had his number retired.  The Colts have hall of famers whose numbers aren't retired.  Pat isn't getting his number retired.

3 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Well, that figures. If you don't know what having a great punter means to a football team that brings more than punting then you wouldn't understand anyway.

Yep.   Many times it is the little things that make a difference in a game.   Besides the best punting, he provided an added man on coverage, great onside kicks, fake punts, great kick offs and more.  It will be missed.  

14 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

No where did I say he was HOF worthy. The OP never even said that. Where all this HOF talk even come from I have no clue.

First sentence, OP's post, second paragraph:

"Does Boomstick have a chance to get into the HoF?"

I assumed "HoF" meant "Hall of Fame." Apparently it means something else. 

My comment was that any punter would have to be beyond exceptional for consideration for that type of recognition. That's when you jumped all over me, presumably because I am a Patriots fan so there's zero chance I'm actually a decent human being. haha

18 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

When pigs fly or when Belichek and Brady play by the rules.

translation: NEVER

Cool, just cite a source showing those asterisks and we'll chalk this one up as a win for you. :thmup:

8 minutes ago, GoPats said:

First sentence, OP's post, second paragraph:

"Does Boomstick have a chance to get into the HoF?"

I assumed "HoF" meant "Hall of Fame." Apparently it means something else. 

My comment was that any punter would have to be beyond exceptional for consideration for that type of recognition. That's when you jumped all over me, presumably because I am a Patriots fan so there's zero chance I'm actually a decent human being. haha

Cool, just cite a source showing those asterisks and we'll chalk this one up as a win for you. :thmup:

He ask if he had a chance.

He never said it in the title of the tread.

No where did I say anything about the HOF.

21 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

He ask if he had a chance.

He never said it in the title of the tread.

No where did I say anything about the HOF.

LOL, ok well then I guess I don't understand what we've been doing here. 

I never said McAfee wasn't a great punter, a versatile player, or a good citizen.