Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Mini camp 6/13/17

TKnight24

2 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

I have a question. . . what is the difference between minicamp and OTA's?

Is it just that minicamp is mandatory while OTA's are not?

Or can they put the pads on in minicamp when they can't in OTA's?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000797199/article/nfl-announces-2017-offseason-workout-program-dates

Report: April 17

Rookie Minicamp: May 12-14

OTA Offseason Workouts: May 22-23, May 25, May 30-31, June 1, June 5-6, June 8-9

Mandatory Minicamp: June 13-15

Seems to me like the difference is rookie minicamp is just for rookies, OTAs are voluntary, then mandatory minicamp is for everyone.  I think I've heard Bill Belichick say his approach is that the minicamps are for teaching (the system, improving technique, etc.) and training camp (mid-July) is for evaluating.

45 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000797199/article/nfl-announces-2017-offseason-workout-program-dates

Report: April 17

Rookie Minicamp: May 12-14

OTA Offseason Workouts: May 22-23, May 25, May 30-31, June 1, June 5-6, June 8-9

Mandatory Minicamp: June 13-15

Seems to me like the difference is rookie minicamp is just for rookies, OTAs are voluntary, then mandatory minicamp is for everyone.  I think I've heard Bill Belichick say his approach is that the minicamps are for teaching (the system, improving technique, etc.) and training camp (mid-July) is for evaluating.

It often depends the newness of the coach and/or players

54 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

I agree.  I'm confident he'll be ready by the time the regular season starts.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him throwing in training camp.

I think if the team doctors and the trainers didn't feel he would be ready we would have already seen another QB signed.

Oh,  the irony....

Ridgeway has shoulder surgery but they can already announce he'll be back and ready for training camp.

Luck had surgery way back in mid-January and they can't even give a time table on when he might start throwing.        Everything is top secret.

Not the best sign.

But I still think he's throwing sometime in July....   (Exactly when makes a big difference)  and will start playing likely in the 2nd pre-season game.

11 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I think if the team doctors and the trainers didn't feel he would be ready we would have already seen another QB signed.

Why we have 2 in camp the colts like now? Who would you sign? Having had 3 shoulder surgeries 2 on my throwing shoulder, IMO Andrew wont be ready until Mid sept, but more probable Oct.

27 minutes ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

Why we have 2 in camp the colts like now? Who would you sign? Having had 3 shoulder surgeries 2 on my throwing shoulder, IMO Andrew wont be ready until Mid sept, but more probable Oct.

Not to be argumentative with you but Luck is a professional athlete and has the best doctors and trainers available.

I am pretty sure his healing abilities are better and quicker than someone who is not a professional athlete. He has trainers who are working with him on a daily bases. These athletes recover a lot quicker than an average Joe like me or you.

47 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Oh,  the irony....

Ridgeway has shoulder surgery but they can already announce he'll be back and ready for training camp.

Luck had surgery way back in mid-January and they can't even give a time table on when he might start throwing.        Everything is top secret.

Not the best sign.

But I still think he's throwing sometime in July....   (Exactly when makes a big difference)  and will start playing likely in the 2nd pre-season game.

The time table is 6 to 9 months. The way things are being handled is no different than any other player/team. I think its way too early to be worried. 

“People are probably worried, he had a labrum repair and he’s not throwing five months later, but that is not alarming to me at all,” said Dr. Brian Schulz, a sports medicine surgeon at the Kerlan-Jobe Clinic in Los Angeles. (Schulz did not treat Luck but is familiar with the surgery and its recovery.) “There’s no point for the team to push him with the season still a few months away.”

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2017/06/12/shoulder-experts-speak-andrew-luck-schedule/390019001/

42 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

The time table is 6 to 9 months. The way things are being handled is no different than any other player/team. I think its way too early to be worried. 

Actually,   no.

The team announced back when Luck had his surgery that the timeline was 5-6 months.    That's why many here are responding the way they are.

And secondly,  most teams are giving target dates on their players.     I even noted that Ridgeway had a much more recent shoulder surgery and the team has already announced he should be ready by training camp.    It's only Luck that has a rehabilitation that is being kept in the dark.     Same with other teams.     They're giving rough timelines of when they expected their injured players back.

Go check NFL.com.     They've got a story talking about how little information is out about Luck and how no one is talking about it.       The way Luck is being handled is COMPLETELY iDIFFERENT than every other player and every other team.

I'm not overly worried,  but I'd say I'm somewhat concerned.    Irsay has already said he'll be back to start the regular season.     But that doesn't say much about training camp.  

Keeping things in the dark leads to fan and media speculation.    The Colts are bringing this on themselves.

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Actually,   no.

The team announced back when Luck had his surgery that the timeline was 5-6 months.    That's why many here are responding the way they are.

And secondly,  most teams are giving target dates on their players.     I even noted that Ridgeway had a much more recent shoulder surgery and the team has already announced he should be ready by training camp.    It's only Luck that has a rehabilitation that is being kept in the dark.     Same with other teams.     They're giving rough timelines of when they expected their injured players back.

Go check NFL.com.     They've got a story talking about how little information is out about Luck and how no one is talking about it.       The way Luck is being handled is COMPLETELY iDIFFERENT than every other player and every other team.

I'm not overly worried,  but I'd say I'm somewhat concerned.    Irsay has already said he'll be back to start the regular season.     But that doesn't say much about training camp.  

Keeping things in the dark leads to fan and media speculation.    The Colts are bringing this on themselves.

Image result for calm down lemur meme

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Not to be argumentative with you but Luck is a professional athlete and has the best doctors and trainers available.

I am pretty sure his healing abilities are better and quicker than someone who is not a professional athlete. He has trainers who are working with him on a daily bases. These athletes recover a lot quicker than an average Joe like me or you.

He is you are correct! I am taking that into consideration. As the staff, coaches,and Luck has said it a process. You really cant rush this process, its a time issue. he is still not throwing, when he does its a least 2 months to regain strength, muscle memory, break down metal hurdles, and break up scar tissue. Lets say he starts throwing July 1 your talking about Sept. If he is back and playing before that I will be shocked, but very happy. Although I am not a professional athlete, I do play Travel softball at a very high level all over the US. Not a professional, but athletic, and not a coach potato. Going threw my third rehab now had surgery in Nov, building arm strength now probable August will be good, not great takes a year to get full strength. 9 months for me. Andrews surgery was Jan. hes right on schedule to be ready Sept, Oct. 9 to 10 Months

28 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yeah, I remember the Patriots was soo open regarding Brady's shoulder surgery and also were very open with his ACL recovery. Not to mention Gronkowski's rehab after he fractured arm. :)

It really doesn't matter if they give a target date or not, fans would worry anyway. If the gave a date and Andrew started throwing a week earlier, then everyone would be worried about him rushing back. And if he won't throw the ball the day he supposed to be that would be even worse than not having a data at all :)

21 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Oh,  the irony....

Not the best sign.

The usage of the shoulder between Luck and Ridgeway is a lot different. 

22 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I agree, but that's assuming that his injury and subsequent surgery are not more involved then they are saying.  Many times they get into a repair and find it is a lot worse then they thought... and all the cloak and dagger around this, not willing to commit to when he will even start throwing is troubling.  Let's face it, once he starts throwing it will be weeks before he gains regular control and strength, let alone what it takes to be "Andrew" again.  He may not be full strength at all this season, and if pushed, it could be longer.  It is possible he won't be ready for the beginning of the season and if he is he won't be at the level he wants.   Hope to you know what I am wrong......