Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2017-2018 Indiana Pacers and Everything NBA Thread

13 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Sports usually make more money each year because of rising ticket prices. That means nothing. The product is worse than it's ever been, and people are complaining all over the place on how bad the game is, and how bad the playoffs have been. This is the most bandwagon sport today because any fan with intelligence knows the only two teams that can win a championship are the Warriors and Cavs. 

What's the difference between now and when it was the Lakers and the Celtics years ago? The NBA is more popular now than any time in history.

The younger generation are more involved in the NBA than any time in it's history.

At our age all we can remember is the way things used to be when in reality it is just the same as far as popularity. The NBA has evolved into highlight reels and it's not changing because that is what makes money.

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

What's the difference between now and when it was the Lakers and the Celtics years ago? The NBA is more popular now than any time in history.

The younger generation are more involved in the NBA than any time in it's history.

At our age all we can remember is the way things used to be when in reality it is just the same as far as popularity. The NBA has evolved into highlight reels and it's not changing because that is what makes money.

The NBA is more popular now than any other time because there are a ton more people alive now than ever before. It has nothing to do with the product being better or the players being better. Every sport besides wrestling you could say that for (and the only reason it's not true for wrestling is because the secret that it's predetermined has come out and chased people off). The difference back then is that Jordan, Magic, and Bird didn't conspire to beat the rest of the league by teaming together. They tore each other up every year and are each their own individual legends. Today, everyone tries to take the easy way out. I don't mean just fouling and flopping and all that junk, I mean eliminating their competition by teaming with them so they don't have to face them in the playoffs. The players may enjoy it, but it's bad for the game, unless you are a Warriors or Cavs fan.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

This is the first time I've commented on this thread, but the NBA is dying a quick death. Even in the Jordan era bulls, there was more competition than this. There's only 3 teams that are actually good now (and the Spurs had no chance against the Warriors because of Kwhai Leonard's injury). It's basically the story of can Lebron win another NBA Finals with a superteam, or can Kevin Durant win his first NBA Championship by joining the Warriors. Everyone is scared to lead a team to victory. There are no real men anymore in basketball. You never saw Jordan, Magic, and Bird make a Superteam to dominate the 80s and early 90s. Not only are the players worse than they've ever been, but the overall product is worse than it's ever been. I did a fantasy basketball league for $100 this year, and I couldn't watch more than 1 live game because it was so horrible. So I did the whole league just watching the box score. I know the NBA can't stop superteams from being built, but I'm sure something can be done to make it much harder to pull off in the future and create some parity.

Franchise tag

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

The NBA is more popular now than any other time because there are a ton more people alive now than ever before. It has nothing to do with the product being better or the players being better. Every sport besides wrestling you could say that for (and the only reason it's not true for wrestling is because the secret that it's predetermined has come out and chased people off). The difference back then is that Jordan, Magic, and Bird didn't conspire to beat the rest of the league by teaming together. They tore each other up every year and are each their own individual legends. Today, everyone tries to take the easy way out. I don't mean just fouling and flopping and all that junk, I mean eliminating their competition by teaming with them so they don't have to face them in the playoffs. The players may enjoy it, but it's bad for the game, unless you are a Warriors or Cavs fan.

Yes the Celtics did conspire to  beat the rest of the league with the passing of what is called the Larry Bird rule in manipulating the cap.

Just because the NBA has involved into a different game than in the past does not mean it is dying a quick death as you say.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

Superstars are not very loyal anymore. We are probably lucky we had Reggie when we did, in todays NBA he may have left.

maybe they realized that small market teams rarely win champinonships

im 35 and the spurs and cleveland last year are the only small markets that have done it in my life

if james wasnt from ohio, he probably stays in miami and builds another super team.  i guess there's detriot, but they were pretty big before the market crash

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Yes the Celtics did conspire to  beat the rest of the league with the passing of what is called the Larry Bird rule in manipulating the cap.

Just because the NBA has involved into a different game than in the past does not mean it is dying a quick death as you say.

Doesn't bug me, I haven't watched for years anyway. If you really enjoy this abomination of a once great sport, all the power to you. Just be prepared for one of two results every year. You think the Pats winning the SB and dominating are bad, it's nothing compared to the NBA. No other sport can be manipulated through FA like it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Doesn't bug me, I haven't watched for years anyway. If you really enjoy this abomination of a once great sport, all the power to you. Just be prepared for one of two results every year. You think the Pats winning the SB and dominating are bad, it's nothing compared to the NBA. No other sport can be manipulated through FA like it.

No where did I say I liked today's NBA. I just face reality. And the reality is till there is a hard cap put in place there will be only teams who are willing to pay the NBA for their championships. The NBA makes money off the team who are willing to pay the luxury tax dollar for dollar to them. Till that is stopped it's business as usual for the NBA.

Bringing the Patriots into the picture is irrelevant because they are under a hard cap. They win their championships by having good players who are coached by one of the best coaches in NFL history.

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

No where did I say I liked today's NBA. I just face reality. And the reality is till there is a hard cap put in place there will be only teams who are willing to pay the NBA for their championships. The NBA makes money off the team who are willing to pay the luxury tax dollar for dollar to them. Till that is stopped it's business as usual for the NBA.

Bringing the Patriots into the picture is irrelevant because they are under a hard cap. They win their championships by having good players who are coached by one of the best coaches in NFL history.

BINGO! The owners who are willing to pay will get the championships. The owners don't care, but it hurts the fans. Why should I care about basketball if the owner doesn't? It's not even like baseball, where it's hard to manipulate, you can literally do it with 3 elite players. All the casuals will soon be Warrior and Cavs fans, along with the bandwagon fans, and TV Ratings will plummet everywhere but GS and CLE. The only people in other cities that will stay for the long haul are the hardcore fans who watch because they love the NBA.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I disagree but I respect your opinion. LeBron knew by joining Wade and Bosh with Pat Riley running the show that there was no way he wasn't going to win Championships. Durant joining the Warriors in no way guarantee's a Championship because they still have to play and beat LeBron's Cavs. Many people picked the Cavs to win this by the way. When I say many here are some huge names = Both Mike's on Mike and Mike, Marcellus Wiley on Sports Nation, and Jacoby on Jalen/Jacoby show. Those are 4 huge ESPN Names. Also a lot of fans in general picked the Cavs on ESPN chat boards. So it's not like everyone thought the Warriors were unbeatable. I even had it, still have it going 7. Shannon Sharpe also picked the Cavs on undisputed, there are at least 5 more guys I can name that picked the Cavs.

I think the equivalent to what KD did would have been for LeBron to join the Pierce/Garnett/Allen Celtics.  He'd be leaving a contender (though the Cavs weren't really contenders....) to join the team that beat him.  It's a hard sell for a superstar to sign with the team that beat him.  Could you imagine if Robert Mathis or Dwight Freeney or Marvin Harrison left the Colts to sign with the Pats?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

LeBron speaks very, very highly of Paul George.

If the Cavs offered the Pacers Kevin Love and Kyle Korver for Paul George, what would you say?

anyone?

Hard no.  Korver is 36 and I'd rather develop Turner and build around him than Love.

Since the luxury tax cap is also going up and it doesn't seem like they are going to do away with the luxury tax cap, I'd say make them pay 3 times the dollar amount for every penny they go over the cap. They can still have the luxury tax amount but more owners will think twice before going over the cap thus possibly promoting more depth in the NBA.

If the fans can predict during an off season that it is going to be Warriors and Cavs again in the 2018 NBA Finals, do we really think more season tickets will be sold and fans will be lining up for tickets? 

4 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

I think the equivalent to what KD did would have been for LeBron to join the Pierce/Garnett/Allen Celtics.  He'd be leaving a contender (though the Cavs weren't really contenders....) to join the team that beat him.  It's a hard sell for a superstar to sign with the team that beat him.  Could you imagine if Robert Mathis or Dwight Freeney or Marvin Harrison left the Colts to sign with the Pats?

Agree. The Heat were not even a 50 win team with Wade having a few years left in the tank when Lebron and Bosh decided to join him. Look, I was the happiest guy when Lebron lost vs the Mavericks and lost again vs the Cavs during the 1st year of his "Super" teams. However, Lebron never joined a team that beat him (in the if-you-can't-beat-them-join-them mold like Durant did) or joined a team that came close to 60 wins, ever.

The objective one has to admit what you said about KD unless they are a clear Warriors fan. I get it, Lebron this, Lebron that, gets sickening in the media, but let us call things like they are. Yes, Lebron started it, but KD pretty much finished it, I am hoping for the sake of the NBA. Lebron's "The Decision" was a colossal mistake and he is still paying in the eyes of a lot of fans for it, fair or not, not to mention the outrageous party the Big 3 had, what a joke, couldn't believe Pat Riley would let it happen. That is what made his Miami Heat move with a lot of fanfare seem like a bigger move than KD but it is not when you consider the facts.

5 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

What Durant did was bad too IMO so I don't want to bash LeBron for just doing what he did. Having said that I wanted LeBron to stay in Cleveland and win that way instead of just jetting to Miami to team up with a guy like Wade who already knew how to win a Championship. Yes Miami wasn't a powerhouse when LeBron joined them but Wade was a Top 3 player at the time and knew how to win the big one. Then they also add Bosh on top of it. I am sure you and everyone else like me knew they were going to win 2, maybe 3 Championships with that squad. Then they added Ray Allen a couple of years later.

6 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

This is the first time I've commented on this thread, but the NBA is dying a quick death. Even in the Jordan era bulls, there was more competition than this. There's only 3 teams that are actually good now (and the Spurs had no chance against the Warriors because of Kwhai Leonard's injury). It's basically the story of can Lebron win another NBA Finals with a superteam, or can Kevin Durant win his first NBA Championship by joining the Warriors. Everyone is scared to lead a team to victory. There are no real men anymore in basketball. You never saw Jordan, Magic, and Bird make a Superteam to dominate the 80s and early 90s. Not only are the players worse than they've ever been, but the overall product is worse than it's ever been. I did a fantasy basketball league for $100 this year, and I couldn't watch more than 1 live game because it was so horrible. So I did the whole league just watching the box score. I know the NBA can't stop superteams from being built, but I'm sure something can be done to make it much harder to pull off in the future and create some parity.

You feel just like I do. Every Post you made in this Thread is spot on!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What Durant did was bad too IMO so I don't want to bash LeBron for just doing what he did. Having said that I wanted LeBron to stay in Cleveland and win that way instead of just jetting to Miami to team up with a guy like Wade who already knew how to win a Championship. Yes Miami wasn't a powerhouse when LeBron joined them but Wade was a Top 3 player at the time and knew how to win the big one. Then they also add Bosh on top of it. I am sure you and everyone else like me knew they were going to win 2, maybe 3 Championships with that squad. Then they added Ray Allen a couple of years later.

I agree.  I would have liked to see LeBron stay in Cleveland and win there.  But at the same time, it's hard to blame him when they didn't surround him with much talent.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 21isSuperman said:

I agree.  I would have liked to see LeBron stay in Cleveland and win there.  But at the same time, it's hard to blame him when they didn't surround him with much talent.

I wish Durant would've stayed in OKC because I really liked the team being a small market in all. They were easy to root for if the Pacers were no longer in it. Durant and Westbrook just couldn't get along. It's all opinion but it's my guess it got to the point where Durant couldn't stand Westbrook, that is why he left. Durant didn't want Scotty Brooks fired, he loved Brooks.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I wish Durant would've stayed in OKC because I really liked the team being a small market in all. They were easy to root for if the Pacers were no longer in it. Durant and Westbrook just couldn't get along. It's all opinion but it's my guess it got to the point where Durant couldn't stand Westbrook, that is why he left. Durant didn't want Scotty Brooks fired, he loved Brooks.

That's why the Thunder were never a threat to win the NBA Championship. Durant and Westbrook hated playing with one another. Watching that game the other night, you can just tell that Durant loves playing with Chef Curry. That's because Curry is an unselfish player, unlike KD's former PG teammate in Russell Westbrook

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Luck is Good said:

That's why the Thunder were never a threat to win the NBA Championship. Durant and Westbrook hated playing with one another. Watching that game the other night, you can just tell that Durant loves playing with Chef Curry. That's because Curry is an unselfish player, unlike KD's former PG teammate in Russell Westbrook

Yeah sometimes even if you play with another great player, they still cant make it work. They had the Warriors down 3-1 last season but in reality that was fools gold. I honestly never thought once the Warriors would lose that series even when they were down 3-1. I still thought the Warriors would probably win with 2 home games left.

12 minutes ago, Luck is Good said:

Warriors play tremendous team ball, they spread it around perfectly, they have 4 guys that are reliable to do so. The Thunder just relied on Westbrook and Durant way too much.

Chris Broussard is such an *. Saying if the Cavs lose they could target PG. lmao in what world would we trade him in the division and to a team that will be great the next 8 to 10 years so picks would suck and be late. But he says it should be for Love and Shumpert! Like WTH no freaking way.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Chris Broussard is such an *. Saying if the Cavs lose they could target PG. lmao in what world would we trade him in the division and to a team that will be great the next 8 to 10 years so picks would suck and be late. But he says it should be for Love and Shumpert! Like WTH no freaking way.

Chris Broussard is so dumb. Love and Shumpert for PG? That has as much chance of happening as me sleeping with Ariana Grande

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Luck is Good said:

Chris Broussard is so dumb. Love and Shumpert for PG? That has as much chance of happening as me sleeping with Ariana Grande

Broussard has always been a LeBron lover. Even when Kobe was winning Championships he would always find a way to twist why LeBron was better then than Kobe. He probably looks at this Finals series as unfair because the Warriors have Durant now. Here's the deal I always felt it was unfair when LeBron was in Miami. They prevented the Pacers from winning a Championship and going to 2 Finals at worse because they had drummed an all-star team with LeBron, Wade, Bosh, and Allen. Allen was a huge reason why the Heat won it all in 2013 even though past his prime. They also had Mike Miller who was basically Kyle Korver. That Heat team was so loaded that it was ridiculous. So Broussard knows how I felt in 2013 and 2014 when rooting for the Pacers. The Warriors are just overwhelming to him IMO. I still think the Finals goes 7 games because I know how Great LeBron is and what Kyrie is capable of. Kyrie may score 40 in Game 2?

37 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Broussard has always been a LeBron lover. Even when Kobe was winning Championships he would always find a way to twist why LeBron was better then than Kobe. He probably looks at this Finals series as unfair because the Warriors have Durant now. Here's the deal I always felt it was unfair when LeBron was in Miami. They prevented the Pacers from winning a Championship and going to 2 Finals at worse because they had drummed an all-star team with LeBron, Wade, Bosh, and Allen. Allen was a huge reason why the Heat won it all in 2013 even though past his prime. They also had Mike Miller who was basically Kyle Korver. That Heat team was so loaded that it was ridiculous. So Broussard knows how I felt in 2013 and 2014 when rooting for the Pacers. The Warriors are just overwhelming to him IMO. I still think the Finals goes 7 games because I know how Great LeBron is and what Kyrie is capable of. Kyrie may score 40 in Game 2?

Kobe is better than LeBron. That's not a debate. Kobe is the closest thing we've seen to Michael Jordan since Michael Jordan. He was absolutely the best player of this generation. And the Finals is gonna be a sweep. This Warriors team is too good and Cavs can't compete with them

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Luck is Good said:

Kobe is better than LeBron. That's not a debate. Kobe is the closest thing we've seen to Michael Jordan since Michael Jordan. He was absolutely the best player of this generation. And the Finals is gonna be a sweep. This Warriors team is too good and Cavs can't compete with them

I agree Kobe was and is the best player since Jordan has retired but don't be shocked if the Cavs pull one out tomorrow. I still wont be worried because I fully believe if that happens the Warriors will win Game 3. I hope you are right though. I know I am being paranoid lmao. LeBron is one of the greatest ever regardless and I know that so he wont go down easy IMO.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree Kobe was and is the best player since Jordan has retired but don't be shocked if the Cavs pull one out tomorrow. I still wont be worried because I fully believe if that happens the Warriors will win Game 3. I hope you are right though. I know I am being paranoid lmao. LeBron is one of the greatest ever regardless and I know that so he wont go down easy IMO.

I would bet anything the Cavs don't win tomorrow. The only reason the Cavs won Game 3 last year was because the Warriors decided to take off a game. They'll win tomorrow night and win both in Cleveland as well

6 minutes ago, Luck is Good said:

I would bet anything the Cavs don't win tomorrow. The only reason the Cavs won Game 3 last year was because the Warriors decided to take off a game. They'll win tomorrow night and win both in Cleveland as well

I hope so, we will see. I have the Cavs winning tomorrow. We should probably take this to the Finals Thread since this is a Pacers Thread.

This is what I had before the Finals started,

-Warriors win big in Game 1

-Cavs squeak one out in Game 2, then Warriors fan panic and LeBron fans boast for a few days saying GOAT GOAT GOAT

-Warriors squeak one out in Game 3

-Cavs win Game 4

-Warriors win Game 5 to go up 3-2

-Cavs win Game 6 to force a Game 7

-Warriors win Game 7, wont lose Game 7 2 years in row.

*Lets see how close I come. I find it almost impossible to believe that a player like LeBron will go out easily. He is a Top 10 player of all-time and best today. He may not be better than Jordan, Magic , or Kobe in my mind but he is still Great(Top 10 ever). He will win a game or 2 by himself.

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 9:37 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Listen please (read close because some don't seem too when I Post), Durant going to the Warriors wasn't a trade. He was a Free Agent and no the commish  cant block a person from joining a team through Free Agency per the CBA. Players can play where ever they want when their contract is up.

Please listen to facts you already know

The commissioner can do whatever he wants in the 'best interest of the sport'

Its in the bylays in ALL sports

Who told you he cant?

Obviously, he didn't here. He didn't feel it wa sin the best intrest to do or say anything.

But the commissioner (in that agreement you just cited) can act in the best interest of the sport.

Ask the NFLPA about Roger Goddell.

Players don't run sports

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 10:11 AM, aaron11 said:

maybe they realized that small market teams rarely win champinonships

im 35 and the spurs and cleveland last year are the only small markets that have done it in my life

That's actually a myth, aaron..

For the record.  Oakland is a relaltively small market, too

About a 1/2 million people...much smaller than Indianapolis

If you want to count Oakland and San Francisco as one place

(baseball and football don't)...,

San Antonio is actually larger than Oakland and San Francisco combined

...small markets are about to win for the 3rd year in a row

Edited by oldunclemark
spell

20 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

That's actually a myth, aaron..

For the record.  Oakland is a relaltively small market, too

About a 1/2 million people...much smaller than Indianapolis

If you want to count Oakland and San Francisco as one place

(baseball and football don't)...,

San Antonio is actually larger than Oakland and San Francisco combined

...small markets are about to win for the 3rd year in a row

Yea I laugh when people call San Antonio a small market. Just wait until Chris Paul is playing for them next year. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

Yea I laugh when people call San Antonio a small market. Just wait until Chris Paul is playing for them next year. 

I'd love to see that...

He knows how to run an offense and he'd make sure Kawhi and Aldridge got their shots and their points

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

It's the location they are in but I agree with you 100%, any team that plays in the state of Texas technically isn't a small market. Texas is a large state!