Davis           Geathers          Adams          Robinson

Walden       Moore      Jackson      Mathis

Langford   Parry  Anderson

2017 Defense (on paper)

Davis            Geathers         Hooker       Wilson

Simon    Jackson    Spence   Sheard 

Langford  Hankins  Anderson

2017 sure looks a whole heck of a lot better

Like I said, I have never seen Grigson or Polian ever go 3 D players in a row at the top of the draft. The only thing I will give Grigson is credit for doubling down on OL player prospects in an OL strong and deep draft last year. Similarly, in a CB strong and deep draft, we need to double down with an extra CB, IMO since the competition and cupboard on that front is thinner than most positions.

I feel like Ballard has done a good job filling most areas of need on Defense.  He has created completion at all areas. This defense has the potential to develop into physical group. With that said, I'm still worried about our ability to stop the run. I know we can't address everything in one offseason, but I feel like ILB has been ignored. Our division has the potential to run all over us. RBs like Murray and Fournette, and QB's like Mariota and Watson have potential to reak havoc on our D. If we don't get out to early leads and make them play catch up, we are going to be in for a long season.

I made a joke when tknight said this a few years back, but I think it might finally be true:  the defense has the potential to be average.  

To a fan of another team, that might sound like a joke.  To a Colts fan, not so much.  Average wins this division.

Good additions all around, and I have a feeling Sheard could surpass expectations while Spence might surprise some people

5 minutes ago, #12. said:

I made a joke when tknight said this a few years back, but I think it might finally be true:  the defense has the potential to be average.  

To a fan of another team, that might sound like a joke.  To a Colts fan, not so much.  Average wins this division.

Good additions all around, and I have a feeling Sheard could surpass expectations while Spence might surprise some people

I'm excited to see what Sheard will do for us. 

9 hours ago, CR91 said:

2016 Defense

Davis           Geathers          Adams          Robinson

Walden       Moore      Jackson      Mathis

Langford   Parry  Anderson

2017 Defense (on paper)

Davis            Geathers         Hooker       Wilson

Simon    Jackson    Spence   Sheard 

Langford  Hankins  Anderson

2017 sure looks a whole heck of a lot better

The depth (on paper) looks like it's going to be a lot better too.  And younger.

12 minutes ago, J@son said:

I think ILB has the most potential to change. The rest likely will be the starters barring a surprise cut at the final 53. I'll be particularly interested to watch the battle at ILB

Yeah, Walker should make the team, it's not a strong depth position.  Morrison and Bostic are the front runners for backups.  

How many ILBs do we carry?   

On paper this 2017 Defense looks much better. We got a lot younger too which is a huge key. That is what having a Franchise QB can do to a franchise, we can just build the Defense and not have to worry about Offense that much. Just make sure we add to the O.Line here and there and get a decent RB and we are good to go on Offense. I hope Mack pans out, he looks Good on film. Andrew has TY and Doyle to throw too so we are good there.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

On paper this 2017 Defense looks much better. We got a lot younger too which is a huge key. That is what having a Franchise QB can do to a franchise, we can just build the Defense and not have to worry about Offense that much. Just make sure we add to the O.Line here and there and get a decent RB and we are good to go on Offense. I hope Mack pans out, he looks Good on film. Andrew has TY and Doyle to throw too so we are good there.

Ty doyle aiken moncrief rogers

I mean 2016 was what 31st?....I can't see how it can get much worse...

To me, I can clearly see how Ballard envisions a D...big, long, rangy athletes who can do several things and who will be flexible when game plans have to be changed up according to who we're playing.

You can see it also in the guys he brought in through free agency.

I'd be ecstatic if he can get us in say the 15-22 range on D. Looking strictly on paper I think these guys can do that (the drafted and fa guys).

9 hours ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I feel like Ballard has done a good job filling most areas of need on Defense.  He has created completion at all areas. This defense has the potential to develop into physical group. With that said, I'm still worried about our ability to stop the run. I know we can't address everything in one offseason, but I feel like ILB has been ignored. Our division has the potential to run all over us. RBs like Murray and Fournette, and QB's like Mariota and Watson have potential to reak havoc on our D. If we don't get out to early leads and make them play catch up, we are going to be in for a long season.

I dont think our division qbs will pick us apart but i could see foreman and fournette running all over us

5 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I dont think our division qbs will pick us apart but i could see foreman and fournette running all over us

Still very possible, but I think Hankins/Simon/Sheard/Geathers will all do their part against the run. It shouldn't be a repeat of the past, where 3rd string RBs were having career days against us. 

9 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

Still very possible, but I think Hankins/Simon/Sheard/Geathers will all do their part against the run. It shouldn't be a repeat of the past, where 3rd string RBs were having career days against us. 

In the past rb signed off the street had career games vs us lol. But the defense will be better just not sure how much as it all depends on health and how fast they learn to work together

19 hours ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

We got Hankins in the middle which should help alot against the run, a true NT finally. Guys likes Morrison and Jackson, Spence and Walker all have that downhill attack ability, plus we'll be able to bring Geathers down if we need to as well with having a safety like Hooker on the back end. Then you have Sheard and Simon on the Edge with the young guys, I think we've finally got pieces in place to be able to stop the run. If anything my concern will be staying healthy ie Anderson and Langford. The actual weakness of most of our ILBers is pass coverage, that's what may still present a problem for us. I don't know who we have to cover the middle. 

17 hours ago, #12. said:

Hopefully this changes with Ballard in control.

Hopefully Ballard has transformed the Colts to an average defense for the upcoming season.  That would be excellent considering where we were last year defensively and the talent we possess on offense.  There will be growing pains but I expect us to battle for the division and a possible playoff spot.

If our defense can make it to average status the groundwork is in place to work on making it good and then ultimately elite.