Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pats trade for Dwayne Allen [Merge]

backshoulderfade

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

Wrong, Bennett wanted $9 million and they couldn't afford him, so they traded for Allen and his smaller salary.

...what is Allen going to make,...$7?

..Jared..they wanted no more of Martellus...its not the first time. Bears didnt  either

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ballard just became "Skinny Grigson" in my book.

Edit: ^^^^ Above is sarcasm.  Should've used purple or pink front to begin with.

Zero TE depth for the Colts, at the moment.  Doyle goes down, the Colts have a guy that needs assistance tying his cleats.

Allen is going to become an All Pro with NE.  And I hope he does.

7 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

Zero TE depth for the Colts, at the moment.  Doyle goes down, the Colts have a guy that needs assistance tying his cleats.

What an absolutely asinine comment.

Surely you can't be serious? Are you serious right now?

Just now, James said:

What an absolutely asinine comment.

You can't be serious? Are you serious right now?

Serious about which part?  The Colts TE depth is now a big problem (at this very moment, at least).  Beyond that, Doyle struggles mightily with inline blocking and Swoope simply can't inline block yet.

And I will absolutely root for Allen to tear it up in NE.  Even if that production comes at the expense of the Colts.

18 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

So the Pats preferred Dwayne Allen to Martellus Bennett??

4 things come to mind.

Rob Gronkowski must not be OK....

They wanted no more of Martelllus..

Our new GM preferred Doyle to Allen

Bill Belichik believes Allen is much better than we think he is

He's rolling the dice with two injury prone tight ends.

4 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

Serious about which part?  The Colts TE depth is now a big problem (at this very moment, at least).  Beyond that, Doyle struggles mightily with inline blocking and Swoope simply can't inline block yet.

And I will absolutely root for Allen to tear it up in NE.  Even if that production comes at the expense of the Colts.

I say we vote to ban you

1 hour ago, Dustin said:

I dont mind if this is part of a plan to move up in the draft, but I would much rather have Allen than what is essentially a 5th round pick.

Agreed.

In fact, going by draft position value charts, moving from #198->#137 gains only 25.3 points (37.5-12,2).. which equates to a low 5th round pick in this years draft (#165 just before the 5th round comps).   Value-wise, we essentially traded DA for a late 5th.  About what some had predicted.

However, we didn't actually gain a pick and we now need a TE.. so this could actually mean we have one *less* pick to use for defense.  Capwise this makes sense -- having the third TE on a rookie contract.  Hate to say this but it opens the possibility that the top TE in the draft may be considered the best value sitting there at #15.

39 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

Is $3 million all we save even though his contract was 8 million per year? I was happy when I thought we got a 4th and a 6th then I saw we were giving up a 6th and only saving $3 mil. 

You don`t know ____!  His contract was for $4,937,000 for 2017.

14 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

Don't ever disrespect Ballard by calling him anything Grigson again. 

12 minutes ago, Aces101 said:

Gronk and a healthy Allen = big trouble for opposing LB and Safeties.  

They have to both be healthy to play games. 

Just now, COLTS449 said:

YES. Doyle and Swoopw are gonna ball out. And I hate to be harsh, but I really don't want to see Allen do much in NE. I actually want him to be pretty bad.

Finally got the two best TE's starting next year, and it only took a new GM and a trade to do so!

1 minute ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Don't ever disrespect Ballard by calling him anything Grigson again. 

They have to both be healthy to play games. 

haha

I agree.  That was pretty low. 

In all seriousness, it's way too early to grade this trade.  I like the fact that the Colts got a 4th rounder.  We desperately need picks.

Allen could be a boom or bust player for NE.

Colts seriously need some TE depth now, but there is plenty of time.

1 minute ago, ponyboy said:

Agreed.

In fact, going by draft position value charts, moving from #198->#137 gains only 25.3 points (37.5-12,2).. which equates to a low 5th round pick in this years draft (#165 just before the 5th round comps).   Value-wise, we essentially traded DA for a late 5th.  About what some had predicted.

However, we didn't actually gain a pick and we now need a TE.. so this could actually mean we have one *less* pick to use for defense.  Capwise this makes sense -- having the third TE on a rookie contract.  Hate to say this but it opens the possibility that the top TE in the draft may be considered the best value sitting there at #15.

You guys act like Dwayne was our starting TE. He's not, Jack is, and I'd rather have Swoope for cheap than Allen for what his contract was. And the fact you just said the best value for us at 15 is a TE is some twilight zone %. 

7 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

I didn't know we had the president of the Dwayne Allen fan club here. I liked the guy...but lets be honest here...he was nothing special for us. If he succeeds in NE it will be because they were able to do something we could not with him (that wouldn't be a shock)...but his time with us was over. He was given every chance in the world to succeed here and he didn't. I hope he does well...but certainly not at the Colts expense...I didn't even want Peyton to win at our expense and he was my favorite Colt of all time. Its tough....but you have to step away from the dark side.

2 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

haha

I agree.  That was pretty low. 

In all seriousness, it's way too early to grade this trade.  I like the fact that the Colts got a 4th rounder.  We desperately need picks.

Allen could be a boom or bust player for NE.

Colts seriously need some TE depth now, but there is plenty of time.

I think Allen will do good in NE. 

And I don't think it's a serious need. Your 3rd TE doesn't make or break the offense imo.. Swoope will be a fine #2. 

2 minutes ago, ponyboy said:

Agreed.

Drafting 60 spots earlier in a very deep draft has it`s own value.
 With the league so deep in UDFA, let us put some faith in our new GM as a talent evaluator, roster builder, with this 4th. KC has a deep roster and our guy was a big part of it.
  I see this as the need to get a good, young blocking TE in here to develop over the next 2 years or so for our NEXT build to be SB contenders for many years to come. DA wasn`t likely to be THAT GUY down the road so GET him out of here.

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I didn't know we had the president of the Dwayne Allen fan club here. I liked the guy...but lets be honest here...he was nothing special for us. If he succeeds in NE it will be because they were able to do something we could not with him (that wouldn't be a shock)...but his time with us was over. He was given every chance in the world to succeed here and he didn't. I hope he does well...but certainly not at the Colts expense...I didn't even want Peyton to win at our expense and he was my favorite Colt of all time. Its tough....but you have to step away from the dark side.

Haha!  I would consider myself a member of the club.  But I don't like him enough to hold an executive position.

I think all of your points are fair, but I would counter that Allen was criminally misused by the offensive staff.

Allen was used for a lot of inline blocking, sacrificing a lot of his short-yardage catches to Doyle (who could only be utilized as an H-back type of blocker).

2 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

Haha!  I would consider myself a member of the club.  But I don't like him enough to hold an executive position.

I think all of your points are fair, but I would counter that Allen was criminally misused by the offensive staff.

Allen was used for a lot of inline blocking, sacrificing a lot of his short-yardage catches to Doyle (who could only be utilized as an H-back type of blocker).

Our staff misused a lot of players...but Allen had like 5 years to show something...and it just wasn't enough. He was lucky he didn't get let go last year. We paid his salary and now we got a pick for him....probably what we would have got as compensatory anyways. It's ok...we will forgive you lol.

7 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

You guys act like Dwayne was our starting TE. He's not, Jack is, and I'd rather have Swoope for cheap than Allen for what his contract was. And the fact you just said the best value for us at 15 is a TE is some twilight zone %. 

Pretty sure Allen had a lot more snaps per game at true TE than Doyle.
 And probably would have again in 2017.
  Doyle reminds me (ugh) of  D Clark when he attempts to block an edge rusher.

Just now, throwing BBZ said:

Pretty sure Allen had a lot more snaps per game at true TE than Doyle.
 And probably would have again in 2017.
  Doyle reminds me (ugh) of  D Clark when he attempts to block an edge rusher.

At the end of the year it was clear Jack was the #1 TE. He had a better catch percentage than any TE in the league. And he's certainly got better at blocking. 

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Our staff misused a lot of players...but Allen had like 5 years to show something...and it just wasn't enough. He was lucky he didn't get let go last year. We paid his salary and now we got a pick for him....probably what we would have got as compensatory anyways. It's ok...we will forgive you lol.

Now that I 100% agree with.  Hell, I agree with all of that. 

I think you've made one of the best points I've seen all day - Allen had a lot of time to show what he "is." 

6 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

I think Allen will do good in NE. 

And I don't think it's a serious need. Your 3rd TE doesn't make or break the offense imo.. Swoope will be a fine #2. 

I think he will too.

And it's not a super serious need . . . so long as Doyle stays healthy.  The Colts still need to address the position now. 

Swoope is showing promise as a pure pass catcher but you cannot ask him to block at this point.  It's not even fair to ask him. 

1 minute ago, oldunclemark said:

I hope we have not overrated Doyle......because he's got to be good at everything now

I don't think we have....and he only needs to be better than Dwayne. I think he will get better...and hopefully our staff learns never to leave a TE or a backup RT on Clowney or Miller again.

2 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

I hope we have not overrated Doyle......because he's got to be good at everything now

we're going to get another TE

might be an UDFA, but thats fine its where we found doyle

Blocking TEs are not hard to get

Just now, zibby43 said:

Now that I 100% agree with.  Hell, I agree with all of that. 

I think you've made one of the best points I've seen all day - Allen had a lot of time to show what he "is." 

I think he will too.

And it's not a super serious need . . . so long as Doyle stays healthy.  The Colts still need to address the position now. 

Swoope is showing promise as a pure pass catcher but you cannot ask him to block at this point.  It's not even fair to ask him. 

All great points...but it has to say something if two UDFAs are still on this team and one outplayed our 2nd and 3rd rd picks top TEs in that draft. I think we can find replacements...and not necessarily at a premium.

At this point, we have THREE 4TH round picks.    The last one,  pick 144 I think stands a good chance of being traded.

We don't currently have a 6,  and I suspect Ballard would be willing to trade back for a deal that would get the Colts AT LEAST a 5 and a 6.        I think Ballard would rather have a 5 and a 6 rather than have our draft end with our pick in the 5th round,  (around pick 160 or so)

This is what I'm expecting....   more wheeling and dealing....

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

At this point, we have THREE 4TH round picks.    The last one,  pick 144 I think stands a good chance of being traded.

We don't currently have a 6,  and I suspect Ballard would be willing to trade back for a deal that would get the Colts AT LEAST a 5 and a 6.        I think Ballard would rather have a 5 and a 6 rather than have our draft end with our pick in the 5th round,  (around pick 160 or so)

I definitely think it depends who is available there. If a solid rb is there that can start or the equivalent on defense, we probably take that player. If no value players are there, trading down would work. Definitely not enough on it's own to trade up in the 1st.

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I believe it's #158