Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chiefs not expected to tag Dontari Poe

Just now, BCoop said:

Even if Poe doesn't end up in Indy, it helps saturate the DL market just a little more. Hopefully that helps keep contracts down to a point that is more digestible. 

very true and I'm thinking the Colts can get one of either Poe or Brandon Williams

Just now, PeterBowman said:

very true and I'm thinking the Colts can get one of either Poe or Brandon Williams

If Ballard is interested in Poe, we have to be the favorite. I definitely wouldn't mind Brandon Williams though. He would still be a very solid upgrade.

4 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

With Poe most likely becoming a FA and the issues with David Parry, I will make a prediction, we will sign a top tier DT in FA. Whether it be Poe, Hankins, or Williams, I truly believe Ballard has his eye on someone.

we're going to be finding out here really soon in the next week and a half or so.

12 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

With Poe most likely becoming a FA and the issues with David Parry, I will make a prediction, we will sign a top tier DT in FA. Whether it be Poe, Hankins, or Williams, I truly believe Ballard has his eye on someone.

I'm pulling for Williams and Hightower, but I'd honestly be surprised at either one. If I'm reading Ballard correctly, my guess is that he's going to spread that money around very conservatively on more under the radar type guys to fill out the roster as opposed to throwing major cash towards 1 or 2 big name guys.

2 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I'm pulling for Williams and Hightower, but I'd honestly be surprised at either one. If I'm reading Ballard correctly, my guess is that he's going to spread that money around very conservatively on more under the radar type guys to fill out the roster as opposed to throwing major cash towards 1 or 2 big name guys.

That's definitely possible. It's also possible though that the incident with Parry may change his mind. With Poe likely not to be re-signed, it opens the door to the perfect situation to upgrade. We won't have to wait very long, and Ballard doesn't have to pay through the roof for Poe, he has a few options.

Just now, Steamboat_Shaun said:

That would be unfortunate. This team needs difference makers defensively and I don't think the Colts are in a position to be picky about how they get them. If you have the cap to go after a guy that can lock down a position on defense for 4-5 years, go get him.

I took Ballard's early comments with a very large grain of salt because he hadn't done any evaluation of the team. If he remains committed to finding his main impact guys solely through the draft, Luck will be in his 30's before the defense is ready for contention. Just my opinion of course.

I think at some point, the Colts will HAVE to pay good money for 1-2 guys in FA. Might as well do it now while you have the cap space and can structure those contracts to run out when Ballard's first rookie class is ready to re-sign.

8 minutes ago, BCoop said:

That would be unfortunate. This team needs difference makers defensively and I don't think the Colts are in a position to be picky about how they get them. If you have the cap to go after a guy that can lock down a position on defense for 4-5 years, go get him.

I took Ballard's early comments with a very large grain of salt because he hadn't done any evaluation of the team. If he remains committed to finding his main impact guys solely through the draft, Luck will be in his 30's before the defense is ready for contention. Just my opinion of course.

I think at some point, the Colts will HAVE to pay good money for 1-2 guys in FA. Might as well do it now while you have the cap space and can structure those contracts to run out when Ballard's first rookie class is ready to re-sign.

I could definitely be wrong, and I'm kind of hoping that's the case. But when a GM says "you can't buy a locker room," that's a pretty big indicator that he'll have a fairly conservative approach to free agency. I agree that it seems like they'll have to spend on free agents at some point, but I also believe that our draft picks will go a long way towards getting 4 or 5 difference makers on D as well. Even then it's still not going to be an elite unit overnight, even if he breaks the bank in FA and nails every draft pick.

3 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I could definitely be wrong, and I'm kind of hoping that's the case. But when a GM says "you can't buy a locker room," that's a pretty big indicator that he'll have a fairly conservative approach to free agency. I agree that it seems like they'll have to spend on free agents at some point, but I also believe that our draft picks will go a long way towards getting 4 or 5 difference makers on D as well. Even then it's still not going to be an elite unit overnight, even if he breaks the bank in FA and nails every draft pick.

I agree we are a couple years away and can't put this thing  back together overnight but one thing I think he means about you can't buy a locker room is that you can't just go out and buy guys and think they will automatically fit your locker room and make your team better. There is something to be said about a football  team and especially the trenches in that its like a chain...your only as good as your weakest link but also it has to work as a unit for the players behind them to be successful. So you never know going out and just bringing guys in if they will fit your locker room or your team. One thing about this situation is Ballard has all the info he possibly needs to get Poe if he so chooses. He likely knows his agent and where contract talks have been in KC to what he is looking to get....he knows what kind of teammate he is...he knows his strengths and weaknesses and character....if we want him...I see no reason we shouldn't get him....if he doesn't than I trust there are things we just don't know that Ballard does that would not have made him a good fit for us.

I do believe we will go out and make moves on both sides of the line. Ballard talked over and over about the trenches and I believe he will invest in helping our hurting DL and make a move to shore up the OL at guard as well and let Clark and Haeg compete for playing time (competition is good)...having some solid backups is even better. I'd expect then for him to address these other areas of the team in the draft but put his money into winning in the trenches.

6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I agree we are a couple years away and can't put this thing  back together overnight but one thing I think he means about you can't buy a locker room is that you can't just go out and buy guys and think they will automatically fit your locker room and make your team better. There is something to be said about a football  team and especially the trenches in that its like a chain...your only as good as your weakest link but also it has to work as a unit for the players behind them to be successful. So you never know going out and just bringing guys in if they will fit your locker room or your team. One thing about this situation is Ballard has all the info he possibly needs to get Poe if he so chooses. He likely knows his agent and where contract talks have been in KC to what he is looking to get....he knows what kind of teammate he is...he knows his strengths and weaknesses and character....if we want him...I see no reason we shouldn't get him....if he doesn't than I trust there are things we just don't know that Ballard does that would not have made him a good fit for us.

I do believe we will go out and make moves on both sides of the line. Ballard talked over and over about the trenches and I believe he will invest in helping our hurting DL and make a move to shore up the OL at guard as well and let Clark and Haeg compete for playing time (competition is good)...having some solid backups is even better. I'd expect then for him to address these other areas of the team in the draft but put his money into winning in the trenches.

Agree with this 100% I can see us doing a Free Agency like signing a DT and a G like Zeitler to help the trenches while going BPA in the draft. He said you win in the trenches, so to get 2 high impact players in the trenches to jump start the rebuild on this team would be an ideal strategy.

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

last i saw, we had close to 60 mil to play with, not counting cuts. but is poe worth a big contract?

I said in another post, my buddy who's a huge Chiefs fan says Poe has chronic back issues and has essentially played every snap since his rookie year (started 16 games every year except '13 & '15, where he played 15 games). So they've been working him like a horse, and his backs screwy. While he'd be an obvious upgrade to our d-line, wear and tear could be an issue, so i'd be hesitant about giving him a big long-term deal.

1 minute ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I said in another post, my buddy who's a huge Chiefs fan says Poe has chronic back issues and has essentially played every snap since his rookie year (started 16 games every year except '13 & '15, where he played 15 games). So they've been working him like a horse, and his backs screwy. While he'd be an obvious upgrade to our d-line, wear and tear could be an issue, so i'd be hesitant about giving him a big long-term deal.

yeah... steer away then

26 minutes ago, csmopar said:

last i saw, we had close to 60 mil to play with, not counting cuts. but is poe worth a big contract?

I wouldn't pay him big money. A guy like Bennie Logan will plug the middle and cost much less. I think we really need to bring in a starting ILB in FA. 

I don't know how anyone could feel good about Morrison starting. Unless we have a gem in Rhodes Bazzie or King then ILB is a giant hole. Even if we have a gem it a hole. The draft at ILB isn't deep like it is at Edge CB S RB.

I hope to see us bring in Minter Brown or Hodges. It would be great to sign Logan NT, Leary RG to go with the ILB. I wouldn't expect any to huge deals. We should still be able to pursue an Edge.

Poe is gonna get a massive deal in the free agency. I am not sure I want to pay all that for a guy that might be on the decline (there are hints at this, whether it be injury, knee degradation, etc). I know Ballard and Poe have a connection and that Poe is a good player. Regardless of what Ballard said about building from the trenches outward, I still don't think that all this will be enough for Ballard to ditch his probably conservative free-agency philosophy. He has atleast a few years guaranteed, he is in no hurry to patch up this defense. He believe (rightfully) that we need to build through the draft.

At the best case/worst case scenario depending on how you think about it, I see him MAYBE going after one big contract but apart from that, I don't expect much craziness from free agency. Lets keep our expectations low guys. 

17 minutes ago, masnerj said:

Poe is gonna get a massive deal in the free agency. I am not sure I want to pay all that for a guy that might be on the decline (there are hints at this, whether it be injury, knee degradation, etc). I know Ballard and Poe have a connection and that Poe is a good player. Regardless of what Ballard said about building from the trenches outward, I still don't think that all this will be enough for Ballard to ditch his probably conservative free-agency philosophy. He has atleast a few years guaranteed, he is in no hurry to patch up this defense. He believe (rightfully) that we need to build through the draft.

At the best case/worst case scenario depending on how you think about it, I see him MAYBE going after one big contract but apart from that, I don't expect much craziness from free agency. Lets keep our expectations low guys. 

I'm hoping we build primarily through the draft as well. Signing one or two free agents wouldn't hurt though depending on whats out there. 

Unless I'm confusing Poe with someone else (always possible)  I think I've read that (A) there is concern about Poe's back,  and (B)  that Poe has graded out below average two years in a row.

Does that sound familiar to anyone else?      Anyone else read something similar?

Anyone?

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

yeah... steer away then

You could probably just as easily find a Chiefs fan who thinks they're crazy for not at least franchise tagging him, as I'm sure it's a pretty divisive topic among their fanbase, so who knows? One thing my friend said that stood out more than anything is that they're really high on the young guy that they drafted that will ultimately replace Poe. 

3 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

You could probably just as easily find a Chiefs fan who thinks they're crazy for not at least franchise tagging him, as I'm sure it's a pretty divisive topic among their fanbase, so who knows? One thing my friend said that stood out more than anything is that they're really high on the young guy that they drafted that will ultimately replace Poe. 

very true.  I just dont want any players that may have injury concerns.

We have 54 million in cap space now and there are going to be some cuts, Jones probably among the first, so at a minimum, I see 60M in cap space.

I know what Ballard said when talking to the press, but one of the glaring weakness of the defense if a good NT. For a 3-4 to be efficient, it is a must. If Poe were to be signed, I would make sure there is some king of injury clause, and even then his play has tailed off due to back troubles, and I don't want to sign someone who we may be able to depend on.

We should go after Williams first, who as all saw, Harbaugh came out and said they won't tag him. Ravens like to let players go instead of large contracts and take the comp. pick. Williams would be cheaper than Poe, and is who I want. He will probably get around 10M/yr. and if you are going into FA, you are going to have to spend more than normal. He is one of those guys who is quality, and worth the money. Hankins would be a good back up plan, but please go after Williams.

Next a RG, Lang, Warford or Zeitler. Happy with any of them. If we come out of FA with 2 of those 3 positions shored up on the defense and OL, I would be ecstatic, and we would have plenty of cap space going into next year. I would still love us to sign Brown, and I would be fine to go after Hightower. He will be overpaid, but we need a leader in the middle. Regardless, Williams and a top flight RG would make me very happy in FA.

We only have two possible extensions I can think of Montcrief and Mewhort coming up.

Brandon Williams, DT  6-1, 340lbs, 28 yrs, $623,750 2016 cap hit, started 46 of last 48 games

Dontari Poe, DT 6-3, 346 lbs, 26 yrs, $6,146,000 2016 cap hit, started 45 of last 48 games

I would be worried about Poe if he does indeed have back problems.  And I think you could get the same amount of production from a guy like Williams at a much cheaper price, even though he is 2 years older than Poe.