Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Under the Radar Signings

It's unlikely we'll get the playmakers we need to become a top 10 Defense outside of the draft....so, we'll need a handful of quality journeymen and mid-level FA's to support the young guys we draft over the next 3-4 years.  

Every year there are modest signings that play key roles on good teams.  Guys like Cory Redding that don't draw a contract premium but have a big impact.

Josh Mauga is that type of guy...only cheaper. I expect us to sign an ILB to a notable contract (ie. Zach Brown), but I also expect us to sign a vet as a quality depth who Ballard knows can play at a solid level. We're pretty much starting over at LB.  Edwin Jackson could be the only returning player with a shot at a roster spot - Morrison maybe as well - so we are going to need at least 2 new proven vets to go with whomever we draft.  Mauga logged quality snaps in 14 and 15 for the Chiefs before landing on IR for all of 16.  Should be very cheap.  He may not be the guy, but he fits the kind of guy we're looking for.  Reliable, but doesn't clog up opportunity for a rookie that earns a spot to play.

Jabaal Sheard is a low to mid-level guy that could be interesting - his market might be better than I think, but probably not.  Not sure of his character, and has been in the dog house some this year for Belichick, but he's a solid pass rusher to put in the rotation with what we hope are 2 rookies + Ayers (I'm arrow up on Ayers).  I don't like our chances of signing Ingram or Perry (Perry will be overpriced and Ingram won't hit the market), so we are going to need to find a second tier vet to come in and be productive. 

18 minutes ago, ztboiler said:

It's unlikely we'll get the playmakers we need to become a top 10 Defense outside of the draft....so, we'll need a handful of quality journeymen and mid-level FA's to support the young guys we draft over the next 3-4 years.  

Every year there are modest signings that play key roles on good teams.  Guys like Cory Redding that don't draw a contract premium but have a big impact.

Josh Mauga is that type of guy...only cheaper. I expect us to sign an ILB to a notable contract (ie. Zach Brown), but I also expect us to sign a vet as a quality depth who Ballard knows can play at a solid level. We're pretty much starting over at LB.  Edwin Jackson could be the only returning player with a shot at a roster spot - Morrison maybe as well - so we are going to need at least 2 new proven vets to go with whomever we draft.  Mauga logged quality snaps in 14 and 15 for the Chiefs before landing on IR for all of 16.  Should be very cheap.  He may not be the guy, but he fits the kind of guy we're looking for.  Reliable, but doesn't clog up opportunity for a rookie that earns a spot to play.

Jabaal Sheard is a low to mid-level guy that could be interesting - his market might be better than I think, but probably not.  Not sure of his character, and has been in the dog house some this year for Belichick, but he's a solid pass rusher to put in the rotation with what we hope are 2 rookies + Ayers (I'm arrow up on Ayers).  I don't like our chances of signing Ingram or Perry (Perry will be overpriced and Ingram won't hit the market), so we are going to need to find a second tier vet to come in and be productive. 

This post probably won't be popular but is exactly how we should look at FA. You maybe have 1 level A signing and then we should focus on some of these short term level B guys to be a stop gap until we can develop this defense in the draft. The offense is pretty well taken care of....perhaps guard as insurance to Jack or compete on the right side and maybe a rb but the rest of our money should be in retaining players we feel good about or have value to us (Doyle and maybe say Butler or Turbin)...then we really need to develop some young talent on the defensive side of the ball. Going out and signing mercenaries doesn't work often. I'm sure Ballard is going to be smart and judicious with our money. We have guys like Luck and TY locked up long term...there aren't many others to worry about....so now we need to invest in the draft and use some of these mid-tier guys to hold the fort until we can develop the 15,16,17, and 18 draft picks. Its going to take a couple years but by then hopefully we start seeing dividends to our commitment to the dl/ol.

19 minutes ago, ztboiler said:

I am curious of what you think Sheard will get?  I think he is easily going to see offers between 8-9mil/year if not more.  The link below has his value at nearly $9mil/year.  So a reasonable offer would be something like 4 year $36mil and probably $12-$16 guaranteed.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/jabaal-sheard-7752/market-value/ 

Also, I do believe that both Perry and Ingram hit the market.  I think they are going to want to see what offers they get.  I doubt the Chargers put the tag on him.  Plus they have a SS in Addae that they need to sign with a small cap.  Perry will get some high dollar offers but this is a great year for these guys in FA.  Mainly because there are a very small number of them and a good amount of teams with the need and money to spend.  So they might be priced out of our budget, OR we spend the necessary money or one or the other and that will be our only big transaction.  The rest will be mid-level guys.  Maybe a Zach Brown for like 7mil/year.

4 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Unless he's been released and I didn't know it, Spotrac shows Mauga is still under contract for 2017.  

OTC has him as a UFA.  Relatively recent add, I think.  There are other confirmations I just found on Google as well.

1 hour ago, ztboiler said:

Why not ???

Are we up against the cap ?

Is our new GM going to be stubborn like Polian was in his later years and want 99% of roster to be players he drafted ?

Is Irsay going 'el cheapo' and tightning his purse strings ?

39 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Assuming he does, I'd be pretty indifferent as to signing him.  And to be quite frank, I wouldn't be surprised at all if we re-signed Sio Moore.

Indifference is always in order for under the radar guys....

As for Sio Moore, his situation never made sense here from any angle.  That said, regardless of Ballard, I'd be surprised if Pagano wants him back after the JAX game fiasco and whatever the contributing issues were that lead to his abrupt release.

3 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

Why not ???

Are we up against the cap ?

Is our new GM going to be stubborn like Polian was in his later years and want 99% of roster to be players he drafted ?

Is Irsay going 'el cheapo' and tightning his purse strings ?

Hmmm....there will be a variety of opinions here. One comment, then I'll hang up and listen.

My offering is this....please list the mega deal signings that changed a team's fortunes.  There are some good examples of player signings on large deals that worked out well, to be sure, but is that the path of great frequency or low frequency?  I said...unlikely.

19 minutes ago, ztboiler said:

Indifference is always in order for under the radar guys....

As for Sio Moore, his situation never made sense here from any angle.  That said, regardless of Ballard, I'd be surprised if Pagano wants him back after the JAX game fiasco and whatever the contributing issues were that lead to his abrupt release.

First paragraph couldnt be truer. Leaves room to be surprised.

Regarding Moore, we didnt really have any sort of details did we? I only mentioned it since KC signed him, albeit for a week.

3 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

First paragraph couldnt be truer. Leaves room to be surprised.

Regarding Moore, we didnt really have any sort of details did we? I only mentioned it since KC signed him, albeit for a week.

No details on that I remember.  Sequence of events and there was some implication that Moore was lumped in with some unprofessional conduct on the trip.

22 minutes ago, ztboiler said:

No details on that I remember.  Sequence of events and there was some implication that Moore was lumped in with some unprofessional conduct on the trip.

I didnt really remember what happened. But yeah, if he was a team distraction, then, i take back what i said about signing him.

We will have over 60 million in cap room, Why sign guys like that as our main signings. I'm telling y'all right now. CB will make a splash or 2. Yes, you build through the draft, but in our situation we have to bring in some stud free agents. We need to sign one of Perry/Ingram, one of Johnson/Bouye/Gilmore/Ryan/Claiborne/etc, and one of either Brandon Williams or Jonathan Hankins. That's 3 big money signings. That, along with a great draft could potentially give us a top 10 D. And with 60 million in cap room, signing 3 of those guys is not just possible, its easily done. But we need to bring in some talent in bunches and go ahead and start winning and having good teams. If we sign....Say Nick Perry, AJ Bouye, and Brandon Williams in FA, then draft Tim Williams/Taco Charlton/Takk McKinley in the 1st, then an ILB somewhere in the 2nd or 3rd who could come in and start and play at a high level, etc. we would have a top 10 D. With Williams and Perry coming off the edge, Davis and Bouye shutting WR's down, and Williams being a boss at NT, absorbing Double Teams, keeping LB's clean, etc, and a kid like Jarred Davis (2nd) at ILB we would have a really solid D.

Bottom line is we have a franchise QB, and we have 60 plus in cap room. We need, and will go all in, in FA. You can bet CB will want to land a couple superstars and improve this team very quickly. That's what you do when you have a franchise, top 5-8 QB entering his 6th year. Not waste away 3 years and hope to win 1 ring. You sign 3-4 good players, hit big in the draft (big % comes down to scouting) We'll sign some good players this year, and THEN start building through the draft. If we didn't sign any impact FA's it would take 3 years to field a good team with the situation we're in at this moment. A big free agency and a big draft = we could be scary.

Also. It wouldn't AT ALL surprise me to see CB's first signing as Kevin Zeitler. Unless he personally has true faith in Haeg he'll want to do in one offseason what Grigson couldn't do in 5 years. Give us a top tier OL. Zeitler or Lang either one give us a top 10, maybe top 5 OL IMO. Clark and Haeg now have a full year of experience, they've started, they're talented, and they've shown flashes of their potential and they learned a lot as rookies. With this offseason. Haeg and/or Clark should at least be able to hold the fort down at RT. Signing Zeitler or Lang would push those 2 to compete for the starting RT spot. And honestly I could see Clark come out and become a beast. He was raw, and I didn't like the pick because I didn't wanna wait LOL, but the kids got the talent to be the best RT in the NFL IMO.

No mid tier signings unless its as a cheap backup or if its an ascending player, or a cheaper vet who we feel could ball out in our system like a Mebane with San Diego YES San Diego LOL.. Like we could have signed all of Brandon Mebane, Nick Fairley, Nick Perry, Zach Brown, Casey Hayward, Morris Claiborne this offseason for a little of nothing. If we bring in a guy or 2 like that I'm down. That's a find, but not as our main signings. We still gotta get our 2-3 big time superstar signings though.

Nick Perry - 5/52

AJ Bouye - 5/56

Brandon Williams - 4/48 (He'll get paid trust me) That's fair IMO. What did DH get? Something like this I know

TJ Lang - 3/24

Armonty Bryant - 1/2 (No risk, potential MONSTER reward, had issues, but super talented. If he can play 16 games with enough snaps he could put up 10 plus sacks. He had 3 sacks in like 5 games this year.

Trade for Josh Gordon, or sign him when he's reinstated.

Trade for, or sign Daryl Washington when or IF he's reinstated.

^^^^^^ Two dirt cheap signings who could end up being brilliant moves if both stay on the field.

If we hit on just one of Gordon or Washington it would be worth it. a top 3 WR and a top 10 ILB for next to nothing? Yeah I'll take that gamble. It's like betting a dollar for a chance to win a million, but with like 50/50 odds LOL. But no. Gordon and Washington will know this is their last shot, so I expect at least 1 to step up and get back on track.

2 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

Nick Perry - 5/52

AJ Bouye - 5/56

Brandon Williams - 4/48 (He'll get paid trust me) That's fair IMO. What did DH get? Something like this I know

TJ Lang - 3/24

Armonty Bryant - 1/2 (No risk, potential MONSTER reward, had issues, but super talented. If he can play 16 games with enough snaps he could put up 10 plus sacks. He had 3 sacks in like 5 games this year.

^^^^^^ Two dirt cheap signings who could end up being brilliant moves if both stay on the field.

If we hit on just one of Gordon or Washington it would be worth it. a top 3 WR and a top 10 ILB for next to nothing? Yeah I'll take that gamble. It's like betting a dollar for a chance to win a million, but with like 50/50 odds LOL. But no. Gordon and Washington will know this is their last shot, so I expect at least 1 to step up and get back on track.

First off, love your passion brotha!! Second I love your first 3 signing. An elite edge is worth every penny. I think he'll be more expensive tho around 12-14mil/yr but still worth it. Bouye is a one year wonder so teams may hesitate to give him a huge deal like that, but I think he can be had for 10-12 mil/yr. Brandon Williams is a BEAST and will break the bank wherever he goes, an alternative that will be cheaper is Johnathan Hankins. He is so good at pushing the pocket and rushing the passer, and at 330 stuffs the run at a high level. Hell be 8-10 mil/yr. Armonty Bryant where'd he play last year? Dont know of him I'll check him out. I don't want any part of Josh Gordon man that would be a bad move to trade or sign him to a big contract. And like you said he hasn't even been reinstated. Daryl Washington is not the same player, unless he's cheap he's not worth much. I'd rather sign the quality players and build around them through the draft, save the rest of the money to re sign Jack Doyle who will demand 8-10 mil/yr, Darius Butler looked good a FS and I'd re sign mike Adams if we felt need to. Turbin I think needs to stay, arguably the best 3rd down back in the NFL. 3 quality FAs and re signing our key guys and were a different team next year.

1 hour ago, Tmoney said:

First off, love your passion brotha!! Second I love your first 3 signing. An elite edge is worth every penny. I think he'll be more expensive tho around 12-14mil/yr but still worth it. Bouye is a one year wonder so teams may hesitate to give him a huge deal like that, but I think he can be had for 10-12 mil/yr. Brandon Williams is a BEAST and will break the bank wherever he goes, an alternative that will be cheaper is Johnathan Hankins. He is so good at pushing the pocket and rushing the passer, and at 330 stuffs the run at a high level. Hell be 8-10 mil/yr. Armonty Bryant where'd he play last year? Dont know of him I'll check him out. I don't want any part of Josh Gordon man that would be a bad move to trade or sign him to a big contract. And like you said he hasn't even been reinstated. Daryl Washington is not the same player, unless he's cheap he's not worth much. I'd rather sign the quality players and build around them through the draft, save the rest of the money to re sign Jack Doyle who will demand 8-10 mil/yr, Darius Butler looked good a FS and I'd re sign mike Adams if we felt need to. Turbin I think needs to stay, arguably the best 3rd down back in the NFL. 3 quality FAs and re signing our key guys and were a different team next year.

Bouye didn't really get to play at all his first 3 years. Then when he got his shot he came in and balled out, becoming an elite man to man corner. He don't worry me at all really. Claiborne does, but I'd take a chance with him if nothing else. Bouye's established himself as a star corner IMO.

I love Hankins too. I'd take Williams, but I think both are going to get paid. I'd take Hankins in a heartbeat, and he may be slightly less expensive I don't know. We'll have to see, but I agree with you on him. Kid's a stud.

Armonty Bryant started out in Cleveland, showed some flashes. He's like 6'5 270. He had 5.5 sacks in just a handful of games/snaps a few years ago, then this year with Detroit he had 3 sacks in I believe 5 games. He's had off the field issues, but if he can stay on the field he's got a lot of talent. Could be a breakout player if he stays out of trouble.

Gordon wouldn't require a lot of money. He's require a later round draft pick or a couple million for 1 year. He will probably be reinstated before the season starts, and he's a zero risk, monster reward type signing. Same with Washington. Both super talented who would come dirt cheap. And if they don't play a game what do we loose? 1 year and 5 million dollars?

I agree we need to bring back Doyle, Butler, and Turbin. At first I wanted us to just bring Gore back cheap, then draft 2 backs, but Turbin wont cost much and was pretty solid last season with 7 TD's, and like you said, Solid on 3rd's. I'd still draft a couple backs. 4 RB's is fine as we have no FB

9 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Bouye didn't really get to play at all his first 3 years. Then when he got his shot he came in and balled out, becoming an elite man to man corner. He don't worry me at all really. Claiborne does, but I'd take a chance with him if nothing else. Bouye's established himself as a star corner IMO.

I love Hankins too. I'd take Williams, but I think both are going to get paid. I'd take Hankins in a heartbeat, and he may be slightly less expensive I don't know. We'll have to see, but I agree with you on him. Kid's a stud.

Armonty Bryant started out in Cleveland, showed some flashes. He's like 6'5 270. He had 5.5 sacks in just a handful of games/snaps a few years ago, then this year with Detroit he had 3 sacks in I believe 5 games. He's had off the field issues, but if he can stay on the field he's got a lot of talent. Could be a breakout player if he stays out of trouble.

Gordon wouldn't require a lot of money. He's require a later round draft pick or a couple million for 1 year. He will probably be reinstated before the season starts, and he's a zero risk, monster reward type signing. Same with Washington. Both super talented who would come dirt cheap. And if they don't play a game what do we loose? 1 year and 5 million dollars?

I agree we need to bring back Doyle, Butler, and Turbin. At first I wanted us to just bring Gore back cheap, then draft 2 backs, but Turbin wont cost much and was pretty solid last season with 7 TD's, and like you said, Solid on 3rd's. I'd still draft a couple backs. 4 RB's is fine as we have no FB

In the bolded, isn't Gore still under contract for 1 more year? 

9 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

I am with you on Bouye, his press man technique is gorgeous, such fluid hips and strong press. Fits our scheme perfectly. I guess I'm just hoping other teams view him as a 1 year wonder and his value is not on the same level as trumaine and Stephan. I love me some Brandon Williams but he could be getting 13-15 mil/yr offers. Hankins would give us a stud NT at around 8-10 mil/yr. Either way you can't go wrong. Josh Gordon is a super talent, but he's sketch my boiiis. If he can convince CB he's all about ball then I'm for it. Doyle is so crucial IMO, could be a top 10 TE in this league. Dwayne Allen's contract is in his way, so cut Dwayne asap!! If we let Jack walk and keep Dwaynes 6 mil/yr contract were stupid.

28 minutes ago, Tmoney said:

I am with you on Bouye, his press man technique is gorgeous, such fluid hips and strong press. Fits our scheme perfectly. I guess I'm just hoping other teams view him as a 1 year wonder and his value is not on the same level as trumaine and Stephan. I love me some Brandon Williams but he could be getting 13-15 mil/yr offers. Hankins would give us a stud NT at around 8-10 mil/yr. Either way you can't go wrong. Josh Gordon is a super talent, but he's sketch my boiiis. If he can convince CB he's all about ball then I'm for it. Doyle is so crucial IMO, could be a top 10 TE in this league. Dwayne Allen's contract is in his way, so cut Dwayne asap!! If we let Jack walk and keep Dwaynes 6 mil/yr contract were stupid.

Some goofy stuff going on here.
BTW Allen will make UNDER $5M in 2017 and $5M in 2018. Get your ___ together.
 Can`t wait to see what Brandon Williams signs for.

15 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

Nick Perry - 5/52

AJ Bouye - 5/56

TJ Lang - 3/24

I see what you are working with but with $60 mil in cap and signing these guys plus our own guys you are out of money before the draft.  Your numbers are not adding up and as a new GM you are not going to come in and year one get into money issues.  Will he sign a guy or two probably but he is not going to spend on all top tier guys.  Not feasible plus for some reason you are not considering other teams with money do exist as well.  Driving up the price for limited talent is what FA is, and if we had $80mil ... ok but we do not.  Just looking at our guys you could factor Doyle, Adams, Turbin and maybe Kerr (around $10mil)  Plus your signings...not even considering Gordon or Washington you are still looking at nearly $44mil so over all you have $54 tied up.  We would roughly have say $8mil going into the draft.  After that we have little to nothing for anything.  I would rather not have cap issues.  One or two injuries and you are scrapping the bottom for pennies to sign what?? Practice Squad players??

3 hours ago, Tmoney said:

This business about Dwayne Allen, his contract, and angst over it being a barrier to keeping Doyle is so very overstated.  

DA's contract was front loaded a bit with $9M hitting the 2016 cap.  The next 2 years are cap hits of $6M and we can cut him before year 4 for a savings of $7.4M and $1M dead money.  It's essentially a 3 year $22M deal with a Team option of $7.4M on the 4th year.  

Given the way we use both DA and Doyle, we can easily afford to put Doyel on a similar contract for the next 2 years before any decision has to be made on either of them....and that is exactly what we should expect Ballard to do.  I think Doyel will come in a touch cheaper in the $5M APY range on a 4 year deal.

2 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Some goofy stuff going on here.
BTW Allen will make UNDER $5M in 2017 and $5M in 2018. Get your ___ together.
 Can`t wait to see what Brandon Williams signs for.

What's goofy BBZ? You don't think Brandon Williams will get a lot of money? Have you seen him play over the last 4 years? Remember what Harrison got? Yeah. It'll be close. What about Bouye BBZ? If you've watched him you'd know the kid's a top tier corner, who is great in man and would fit us perfectly, and as far as the Doyle and Allen thing I mean Doyle has turned into a stud, who will probably be even better next season wouldn't you think? It also saves us 3 million in cap space to cut Allen, and Swoop seemed to start showing signs of tapping into some of his potential this season. So give me a detailed response as to why any of it was "goofy"

1 hour ago, Shive said:

Set the bar low so you're never disappointed?

It's not about setting the bar low.  When we're talking about league minimum vets with upside, you have expectations of performance from guys who are cheap.  When you pay them that little and they outperform the contract, it's a good thing.  If they don't, they're a cheap cut.  

49 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

It's not about setting the bar low.  When we're talking about league minimum vets with upside, you have expectations of performance from guys who are cheap.  When you pay them that little and they outperform the contract, it's a good thing.  If they don't, they're a cheap cut.  

Oh I definitely agree. That was apparently a poor attempt at a joke...lol

21 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

We will have over 60 million in cap room, Why sign guys like that as our main signings. I'm telling y'all right now. CB will make a splash or 2. Yes, you build through the draft, but in our situation we have to bring in some stud free agents. We need to sign one of Perry/Ingram, one of Johnson/Bouye/Gilmore/Ryan/Claiborne/etc, and one of either Brandon Williams or Jonathan Hankins. That's 3 big money signings. That, along with a great draft could potentially give us a top 10 D. And with 60 million in cap room, signing 3 of those guys is not just possible, its easily done. But we need to bring in some talent in bunches and go ahead and start winning and having good teams. If we sign....Say Nick Perry, AJ Bouye, and Brandon Williams in FA, then draft Tim Williams/Taco Charlton/Takk McKinley in the 1st, then an ILB somewhere in the 2nd or 3rd who could come in and start and play at a high level, etc. we would have a top 10 D. With Williams and Perry coming off the edge, Davis and Bouye shutting WR's down, and Williams being a boss at NT, absorbing Double Teams, keeping LB's clean, etc, and a kid like Jarred Davis (2nd) at ILB we would have a really solid D.

Bottom line is we have a franchise QB, and we have 60 plus in cap room. We need, and will go all in, in FA. You can bet CB will want to land a couple superstars and improve this team very quickly. That's what you do when you have a franchise, top 5-8 QB entering his 6th year. Not waste away 3 years and hope to win 1 ring. You sign 3-4 good players, hit big in the draft (big % comes down to scouting) We'll sign some good players this year, and THEN start building through the draft. If we didn't sign any impact FA's it would take 3 years to field a good team with the situation we're in at this moment. A big free agency and a big draft = we could be scary.

Also. It wouldn't AT ALL surprise me to see CB's first signing as Kevin Zeitler. Unless he personally has true faith in Haeg he'll want to do in one offseason what Grigson couldn't do in 5 years. Give us a top tier OL. Zeitler or Lang either one give us a top 10, maybe top 5 OL IMO. Clark and Haeg now have a full year of experience, they've started, they're talented, and they've shown flashes of their potential and they learned a lot as rookies. With this offseason. Haeg and/or Clark should at least be able to hold the fort down at RT. Signing Zeitler or Lang would push those 2 to compete for the starting RT spot. And honestly I could see Clark come out and become a beast. He was raw, and I didn't like the pick because I didn't wanna wait LOL, but the kids got the talent to be the best RT in the NFL IMO.

The thing that has to be considered is we will not be the only team with 50 plus million in cap room to spend this off season. I beleive there is like 6-7  teams with as much money and even more money than we have to spend, two being the Browns who need alot and the 49ers. On top of that, the number of tier 1 free agents this class isn't going to be very high, it'll be a smaller number with yet very high demand so the prices are gonna go up, way up. The chances the we go in and win the bidding war on 3 tier 1 type FA just isn't gonna be likely and I highly doubt it'll be the approach CB looks to take. 

Realistically my expectation is we come away with 1 tier 1 kind of guy and 2-3 mid level kinda guys. We are just not going to be able to outbid all teams invloved on 3-4 tier 1 type of guys. 

1 minute ago, weslo1812 said:

The thing that has to be considered is we will not be the only team with 50 plus million in cap room to spend this off season. I beleive there is like 6-7  teams with as much money and even more money than we have to spend, two being the Browns who need alot and the 49ers. On top of that, the number of tier 1 free agents this class isn't going to be very high, it'll be a smaller number with yet very high demand so the prices are gonna go up, way up. The chances the we go in and win the bidding war on 3 tier 1 type FA just isn't gonna be likely and I highly doubt it'll be the approach CB looks to take. 

Realistically my expectation is we come away with 1 tier 1 kind of guy and 2-3 mid level kinda guys. We are just not going to be able to outbid all teams invloved on 3-4 tier 1 type of guys. 

It'll be around 60 when Jones, and a few more are cut from what I understand. And we can still offer up as big of contracts with 60 than Cleveland and San Fran can with 100. And wouldn't you think for the same amount of money a Perry, Johnson, Williams, Zeitler, etc, etc, had rather play with us than those 2 teams. Even though we've been down the last 2 years we have a franchise top tier QB, and with the right pieces we'll have a championship caliber team for years to come here in a year or 2. But FA's will know we have a much better shot than the Browns or 9ers do.

23 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

It'll be around 60 when Jones, and a few more are cut from what I understand. And we can still offer up as big of contracts with 60 than Cleveland and San Fran can with 100. And wouldn't you think for the same amount of money a Perry, Johnson, Williams, Zeitler, etc, etc, had rather play with us than those 2 teams. Even though we've been down the last 2 years we have a franchise top tier QB, and with the right pieces we'll have a championship caliber team for years to come here in a year or 2. But FA's will know we have a much better shot than the Browns or 9ers do.

For one player we might be able to compete and offer the bigger contract, but going for 3-4 tier 1 players? I don't think so. Plus there will still still be 3-4 teams under them who will have more than us. It's just not realistic and I highly doubt it's the approach CB will be looking to take anyways. I just really wouldn't get your hopes up on getting 3-4 tier 1 kinda guys because you're likely gonna be dissapointed.

6 minutes ago, weslo1812 said:

For one player we might be able to compete and offer the bigger contract, but going for 3-4 tier 1 players? I don't think so. Plus there will still still be 3-4 teams under them who will have more than us. It's just not realistic and I highly doubt it's the approach CB will be looking to take anyways. I just really wouldn't get your hopes up on getting 3-4 tier 1 kinda guys because you're likely gonna be dissapointed.

I'd be happy with just 2. Perry/Ingram and AJ Bouye.

1 minute ago, Majin Vegeta said:

I'd be happy with just 1 honestly. I don't see us getting two.

I don't see how we couldn't with 60 million. I mean maybe not Bouye, but one of the 6-7 good-solid corners available. Heck. Prince is a decent starting corner. I'd take him. Kirkpatrick is a guy I could see having a Casey Hayward type breakout year with a new team, but I think he'll get more money LOL. CH got screwed.

5 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

I don't see how we couldn't with 60 million. I mean maybe not Bouye, but one of the 6-7 good-solid corners available. Heck. Prince is a decent starting corner. I'd take him. Kirkpatrick is a guy I could see having a Casey Hayward type breakout year with a new team, but I think he'll get more money LOL. CH got screwed.

Yeah I'm sure it's possible financially.  But they have to hit the open market, then they have to want to come here. I'd love those two you mentioned, but those are the biggest names in the FA class. just doubt we get two big names like that.

7 hours ago, Tmoney said:

I think you're overestimating what Williams and Hankins will get. Damon Harrison didn't even get to 10 mil/year, so I don't see Williams getting any more than 8. Harrison is in an entirely different league. Hankins had a down year, but I would guess it was mostly due to Harrison being there and being forced to play more of a 3 technique role. I'd assume he gets around 5 mil/year on a short 2 year deal. I would be totally down for signing him at that cost.

All just my opinion and there's always some surprises at free agency. 

1 hour ago, The Peytonator said:

I think you're overestimating what Williams and Hankins will get. Damon Harrison didn't even get to 10 mil/year, so I don't see Williams getting any more than 8. Harrison is in an entirely different league. Hankins had a down year, but I would guess it was mostly due to Harrison being there and being forced to play more of a 3 technique role. I'd assume he gets around 5 mil/year on a short 2 year deal. I would be totally down for signing him at that cost.

All just my opinion and there's always some surprises at free agency. 

Damon Harrison got 5/46 plus a little pocket change. He and Poe are the alpha dogs of NT's (even though Poe was down this year) but Williams and Hankins aren't too far behind. And Hankins has shown some ability to get in the backfield and put up 3-4 sacks, long with being a run stuffing fool. I think Williams will get something similar, maybe even more than Harrison. I mean when we brought back Davis is was for what? Not even 40 mill? /I think, off the top of my head 4/32??? Maybe a touch more. That was just like 3 offseasons ago. Now Davis would get closer to Jenkins money. Vernon, Suh, etc. They're driving the market up. I still don't think Perry will get Vernon money, though, again maybe close. I'd say something along the lines of 5 years, 55 million. That's 11 mill per.