Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Doyle - free agency

ClaytonColt

I was hoping that Doyle was still flying under the radar to an extent but I've just seen the article on the Colts website indicating that he might be wanted by other teams as a true TE1.

What is the likelihood of getting him signed at a sensible level or is he destined for Allen/Fleener type money?

At the beginning of the season, this forum was laughing at the idea of Doyle being the equal of Allen.

Poorly judging the TE situation last year is a demerit on Grigson's record.  Paying Allen his contract and not seeing that Doyle could play well ranks in my eyes as just as bad of a personnel move as the TRich and Werner decisions.

Now we are going to have to pay up for Doyle after paying up for DA.  

If the reports are true.  I still have my doubts that other teams would view him as a #1 TE.  But that doesn't change the notion that we should have locked him up longer term last year.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

At the beginning of the season, this forum was laughing at the idea of Doyle being the equal of Allen.

Poorly judging the TE situation last year is a demerit on Grigson's record.  Paying Allen his contract and not seeing that Doyle could play well ranks in my eyes as just as bad of a personnel move as the TRich and Werner decisions.

Now we are going to have to pay up for Doyle after paying up for DA.  

If the reports are true.  I still have my doubts that other teams would view him as a #1 TE.  But that doesn't change the notion that we should have locked him up longer term last year.

Wait!?     WHAT?!?

Our TE situation.

1.   Dwayne Allen -- draft pick

2.   Jack Doyle -- free agent find.   Check PLUS for Grigson

3.   Eric Swoope -- free agent find.    Check PLUS for Grigson.

Having Doyle and Swoope allowed us to let Fleener walk out the door and sign Allen to a smaller deal that we can get out of easily after next season.

Of course we're going to have to pay-up for Doyle.   We'd have to even if we let Allen go as well.

This complaining is all about hindsight.      Especially on Doyle.    Who here was calling him a number one tight end after last year.      And please don't say you were.      Because if you do,  I'm going to say even broken clocks are right twice a day.      Come on now.    Be reasonable.

15 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Wait!?     WHAT?!?

Our TE situation.

Having Doyle and Swoope allowed us to let Fleener walk out the door and sign Allen to a smaller deal that we can get out of easily after next season.

Of course we're going to have to pay-up for Doyle.   We'd have to even if we let Allen go as well.

This complaining is all about hindsight.      Especially on Doyle.    Who here was calling him a number one tight end after last year.      And please don't say you were.      Because if you do,  I'm going to say even broken clocks are right twice a day.      Come on now.    Be reasonable.

I did not see Doyle as a true #1 and still see him as a high #2 option. He isn't the really good blocker but he is very workman like, much like many of the patriot players over the years, not stars on anyone else's team but just makes plays. I will say, I liked Doyle enough last year that I advocated not resigning both Allen and Fleener. I would have rather kept Doyle and Swoope, who is another guy I like. Many felt Doyle was just some average fodder guy good for a play or two here and there. The ones now looking hindsight just want another reason to bash on Grigson. 

26 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Wait!?     WHAT?!?

Our TE situation.

Some good points there.

As far as my historic position on Doyle and the TE position for the Colts....

Last spring. I said Doyle and Allen were interchangeable because neither is the speedy seem splitter TE that is normally associated with big money TEs these days....in the mold of Graham, Kelce, Gronk.  In that vein, only Fleener had the potential to be that guy.  Neither Doyle nor Allen could.  

I laughed at those who thought DA was.

I said let Fleener and Allen walk and go into the offseason with Doyle.  Pick up a vet TE or draft one late for depth.  I thought to change the base formation to 3 wide with Dorsett, relegating the TE position to a blocker/possession outlet receiver guy, which is what I saw Doyle could do very well.

No, I wasn't saying that Doyle was a "#1 TE" and still don't think he is.  But he should be...and should always have been thought of...as a STARTING TE...in a 3 WR set. 

I guess I'm looking at it from the standpoint of the DA contract.  Last spring, I valued DA lower than Grigson did and Doyle higher than Grigson did, so I'm upset that we now seem to be in the position of keeping DA because of contract and losing Doyle because of contract when the contracts could have been properly written last year...meaning Doyle about 2 mil per year when he was under the radar and DA about -0-

I don't think Doyle will be paid anything close to #1 TE money. As long as he and his agent think the same , the Colts should have no problem signing him for around 2.5 -3 mill per year.

The interesting one which is never talked about is Swoope. He's actually going into his 4th year. Time flys...All the Colts need to do is agree to pay him vet minimum for a 3rd year player and we retain him. But he would hit the FA market in 2018 .. just when he probably would be counted on to play a big role. Might the Colts be smart  to extend him this offseason ? For sure if they don't resign Doyle ...

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Wait!?     WHAT?!?

Our TE situation.

Should've noticed that Doyle has game and that Swoope is a solid#2. $$ that went to Allen could have went to defense. Then add in when all us fans knew he should've drafted Xavier Rhodes & Landon Collins if you remember that right? They were obvious picks. Our defense should be top notch. All the players have been there for our picking, but Grigson has failed us. He's only had a couple good finds, that's it. 

16 hours ago, ClaytonColt said:

I was hoping that Doyle was still flying under the radar to an extent but I've just seen the article on the Colts website indicating that he might be wanted by other teams as a true TE1.

What is the likelihood of getting him signed at a sensible level or is he destined for Allen/Fleener type money?

I mean trade Allen and pay Doyle he's worth it. But I don't know if we could get a good trade for Allen though. 

12 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would definitely re-sign Doyle. He is one of our best players IMO. Luck, TY, Kelly, Doyle were all solid this season. McAfee and Vinny on SPTeams were solid, and Vontae still has game on Defense + Walden is solid. That was the players on our team this season IMO.

I also like Geathers, Morrisson, E. Jackson, Anderson and maybe Ridgeway will see on him. 

18 hours ago, ClaytonColt said:

I can't see him getting Allen/Fleener type money.  We overpaid for Allen anyways and the receiving numbers are not there for Fleener type money.  

I have to think Doyle could max out at maybe 5 million per year.  I see 4 million as being more likely.

I agree with an earlier poster who says he's more of a high #2 then a #1.  He's good as a swiss army knife type TE, someone who will do everything fairly well.  But the true #1 TE's are very good receivers.