Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chuck Pagano will be made available to the media at 1:30 today.

stitches

6 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

I'm right there with you, if they come back, I hope they win 13 games......  with next years schedule, heck, they just might...   but man, so could many other combinations

Even if we did make the playoffs, we still can't beat teams like the Steelers and Patriots. 

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Sorry.....

But it's not the same when you're facing a battery of reporters with cameras and lights.    It just isn't.

When you see people go on game shows and suddenly they say or do something silly or foolish,  it's because they're infant of cameras and lights.      They're not used to it.

There aren't many coaches who are good at it.    Almost all of it is coach speak.    It's what they do.

As for speaking for myself?     Remember, as a member of the media I've literally been in 100's of these press conferences.     For the Dodgers,  Angels,  Rams, Raiders,  Lakers,  Clippers,  USC and UCLA and others....

It's not nearly as easy as you think.      What happens at your job is not the same as what happens in a major press conference.

You're lucky to get anything when times are good, after a bad season you're getting nothing.

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Sorry.....

But it's not the same when you're facing a battery of reporters with cameras and lights.    It just isn't.

When you see people go on game shows and suddenly they say or do something silly or foolish,  it's because they're infant of cameras and lights.      They're not used to it.

There aren't many coaches who are good at it.    Almost all of it is coach speak.    It's what they do.

As for speaking for myself?     Remember, as a member of the media I've literally been in 100's of these press conferences.     For the Dodgers,  Angels,  Rams, Raiders,  Lakers,  Clippers,  USC and UCLA and others....

It's not nearly as easy as you think.      What happens at your job is not the same as what happens in a major press conference.

And trust me the friendly relationship of reporters and coaches isn't what happens in real life...customers and vendors and board members don't ask questions with kid gloves and just accept waffling or any excuse you come up with. You don't get off that easy I promise. So I don't want to hear excuses about the pressure... he got off EASY and I don't accept his answers sorry. I thought it was a poor performance just about as generic as his coaching this season...and that's what bothers me..lacks creativity and ability to think on his toes and to make adjustments on the fly. His cancer recovery and life story is inspiring...too bad his coaching isn't.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I doubt we can do any worse, our Division still has teams in it that are very beatable. The Mariota injury was pretty serious as well and the Texans still don't have a Good QB. If we have a Good Draft regarding Defense and pickup an impact player in Free Agency I could see us around 10-6 and winning the Division. I had us at 10-6 this season and we could've been very easily had we not given away games to the Texans and Lions. If Luck plays all 16 games I cant see us being worse than 8-8 no matter the Coach.

I hope you're right bro. I want this team to succeed badly, I'm just worried that the team is not progressing. I will root like hell for them to prove me wrong.

3 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

My prediction was 8-8 with a mostly healthy team because most of the team was mediocre at best and we were relying on a bunch of rookies. Also, I didn't see anything I free agency that showed the team was better than the previous season. 

I thought 10-6 with a mostly healthy team.  That's why going 8-8 with the shape we ended up in was not so shocking to me.  Which is why I give Pagano a pass this year.  

Now, if I thought we had the talent to be 13-3 with that team, or 10-6 even with the injuries, I'd be more on the fire Pagano wagon.  But we didn't have much talent on the D and the oline to begin with, then you add the injuries...  You can only coach up players to a certain point.

Basically,  I think he did what he could with what he ended up with. 

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

If you looked at the post I responded to,  I gave the exact same sentence that that poster gave to someone else.

And you could've used your comment on him.

Context is important.

absolutely.  My mistake, tons of different conversations in the thread to try and keep track of.

13 minutes ago, cbear said:

You're welcome.  Now tell me, do you think with even half those players healthy, we would have still gone 8-8?

Texans were missing the best player of the league and still made the playoffs. And had the worst starting quarterback. We would still go 8-8 even with a healthy D because the D can't get any worse 

28 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Guess we have to suck *** again for Irsay to finally open his eyes. Shouldn't be that hard with these 2 tho. Prolly have a losing season next year.

Well these two haven't had a losing season yet.  So if it shouldn't be that hard why hasn't it happened?  Please explain.  They have certainly had a lot of opportunities these last two years. 

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

Again  I ask,  When was the last time any coach did that at a press conference

If he were asked better questions, he might give better answers.

1) How do you improve your pass rush next season?
2) Your QB was the most pressured QB in the league, what can your staff do to make that better?

3) Your defense gave up a lot of big plays that cost you games, how will that improve next year?

4) Why does this team start slow so often? Is that a lack of preparation?

5) You haven't been able to beat the best teams in the AFC for five years, why would Year 6 be different?

These are just off the top of my head. I'm sure we can nitpick some issues with them, but they're 100 times better than asking 'so you didn't have any discussions with Irsay yesterday?' for the 10th time in one presser...

These guys are incredulous that Pagano hasn't been fired, and their entire presser was shaped by it. But it's not just this presser, in general, they ask stupid, long-winded questions that don't dictate a direct response. Most of them have nothing to do with strategy, so why would Pagano offer strategy-based answers? 

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

And trust me the friendly relationship of reporters and coaches isn't what happens in real life...customers and vendors and board members don't ask questions with kid gloves and just accept waffling or any excuse you come up with. You don't get off that easy I promise. So I don't want to hear excuses about the pressure... he got off EASY and I don't accept his answers sorry. I thought it was a poor performance just about as generic as his coaching this season...and that's what bothers me..lacks creativity and ability to think on his toes and to make adjustments on the fly. His cancer recovery and life story is inspiring...too bad his coaching isn't.

The point is Pagao's answers are roughly the same as the answers that most coaches give.

You and others here don't know that because you don't watch the press conferences from other coaches.

What Chuck said is normal.     You don't like it because you want him fired.    Fine.

But what Chuck said is roughly what all 32 head coaches did in that situation.     There aren't a lot of other options.

I'm sorry, but you lost me.     What point are you trying to make?

That you never get much beyond coach speak. I was agreeing with you, you aren't the only one on here that worked in the media field.

1 minute ago, RockThatBlue said:

I hope you're right bro. I want this team to succeed badly, I'm just worried that the team is not progressing. I will root like hell for them to prove me wrong.

I am not saying we are a SB contender but we don't suck either. IMO there are really only 2 teams in the AFC that can win the Championship and they are the Pats and Steelers. So a lot of teams are in the boat we are in. We need to build a Defense because we have the QB. I would take Luck over every QB that is in the AFC Playoffs except Brady and Ben.

5 minutes ago, cbear said:

I thought 10-6 with a mostly healthy team.  That's why going 8-8 with the shape we ended up in was not so shocking to me.  Which is why I give Pagano a pass this year.  

Now, if I thought we had the talent to be 13-3 with that team, or 10-6 even with the injuries, I'd be more on the fire Pagano wagon.  But we didn't have much talent on the D and the oline to begin with, then you add the injuries...  You can only coach up players to a certain point.

Basically,  I think he did what he could with what he ended up with. 

Texans won the division with poop at QB and missing their best player in JJ Watt.

*this has been pointed out.

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

Well these two haven't had a losing season yet.  So if it shouldn't be that hard why hasn't it happened?  Please explain.  They have certainly had a lot of opportunities these last two years. 

Why is 8-8 considered a winning season around here it's as much a losing season as 7-9. Awesome 8-8 let's just strive for that every year cause it's technically not a losing season.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

2) Your QB was the most pressured QB in the league, what can your staff do to make that better?

3) Your defense gave up a lot of big plays that cost you games, how will that improve next year?

5) You haven't been able to beat the best teams in the AFC for five years, why would Year 6 be different?

These are just off the top of my head. I'm sure we can nitpick some issues with them, but they're 100 times better than asking 'so you didn't have any discussions with Irsay yesterday?' for the 10th time in one presser...

These guys are incredulous that Pagano hasn't been fired, and their entire presser was shaped by it. But it's not just this presser, in general, they ask stupid, long-winded questions that don't dictate a direct response. Most of them have nothing to do with strategy, so why would Pagano offer strategy-based answers? 

I don't live in indy, but when I get more and more timely info from national sources, that tells me something. 

2 minutes ago, corgi said:

That you never get much beyond coach speak. I was agreeing with you, you aren't the only one on here that worked in the media field.

Hey, if there's someone else in the media field here --- great!

But I'm unaware of it.     To the best of my knowledge that person hasn't come forward and said so.

I wasn't trying to be argumentative.     The post I responded to confused me.     Really,  that's all....

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

Great post...

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

I would add a #6. Will there be staff changes? I know there were several last season, but I don't think its crazy to think there maybe staff changes at the least if Paganos back. 

4 minutes ago, corgi said:

I don't mind coach speak, but does he have to sound like a complete boob when doing so?

Just now, cbear said:

I don't live in indy, but when I get more and more timely info from national sources, that tells me something. 

To be fair, the team gives scoops to the national guys instead of the local guys, which the local guys hate. But I don't care where scoops come from, the local guys have access several times a week, and IMO, prove several times a week that they suck at extracting information with their awful presser questions. 

Holder tweeted yesterday that after the game, he was basically stalking Irsay's cart on the field, and had to be asked several times by security to scram. That's his idea of reporting. As if Irsay is going to tell him something meaningful 10 minutes after the game if he just hangs out near his cart. 

3 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Why is 8-8 considered a winning season around here it's as much a losing season as 7-9. Awesome 8-8 let's just strive for that every year cause it's technically not a losing season.

No one is happy at 8-8.     I'm not.

But I'm happy we didn't go 7-9.      A losing record sucks all off-season.     8-8 gives at least some hope for some optimism.     And I have it.       You may not.    Others here may not.   Heck, most people here may not.

But I remain optimistic.     If Houston can't solve their QB problem,  then we've got a shot to win this division.

But we need more talent.      Talent is everything.

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Hate to break it to you,  but he's much better than you think....

How so? How many times in important games do we so up unprepared? Like the Texans game this year and last year. How many slow starts do we go through? We had one on Sunday, had another one last Sunday. How much wood do we need to chop so everyone can see he is not a good coach? 

1 minute ago, Shafty138 said:

apparently they Cut Mike Wells off when he was asking a tough question, Phillip B. Wilson said the PR staff did it.....

They didn't cut him off, he was stammering out a different way to ask Pagano if he had talked to Irsay yet. Wells asked a stupid question about whether they discussed Pagano's future after the game yesterday -- which Pagano had already answered three times -- and Pagano stared at him like 'what else do you want me to say?' At which point the PR guy moved on to the last question and ended the presser.

It was a good 15 minutes in, which is typical for a Monday presser.

Hey, if there's someone else in the media field here --- great!

But I'm unaware of it.     To the best of my knowledge that person hasn't come forward and said so.

I wasn't trying to be argumentative.     The post I responded to confused me.     Really,  that's all....

I didn't mean to come across as agrumentative  either. I didn't think my post was confusing but, that's my fault. I was in the media field and was agreeing with you that's all I was trying to get across. :thmup: