Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

When you and your brother get fired on the same day

TDewar1987

1 hour ago, jet1968 said:

Before anyone even thinks it- NO the Colts do not need any part of Larry, Moe, or Curly

I think Rex is a decent enough DC, although not a good head coach.  

Rob isn't very good though.

That said I'd rather not have Rex as DC.  Too much baggage etc.  

49 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

I think Rex is a decent enough DC, although not a good head coach.  

Rob isn't very good though.

That said I'd rather not have Rex as DC.  Too much baggage etc.  

What baggage does he have that wouldn't allow him to be a good dc?

I'd rather have Gus Bradley as my DC and hire Joe Philbin as head coach. Sometimes, folks learn from their previous experience and are better head coaches the second time around.

I do want an experienced one, so I'd see if I can get Tom Coughlin (or of course Jim Harbaugh). If neither of those work out, I'd be fine with giving Joe Philbin the head coaching gig.

Chud, I'd think, may respond better to an offensive minded coach like Philbin, who'd probably ask for more fine tuning of the offensive game plans, IMO. 

As soon as the Bills hired Rob last year, this was bound to happen.  Rob is one of the most overrated coordinators/coaches in the league.  I wouldn't mind considering Rex for the DC spot, but I don't think it will happen.  The Ray Lewis coaching tree is falling apart.  Mike Singletary, Rex Ryan, Chuck Pagano, Mike Smith, Marvin Lewis all have/had head coaching gigs and either have been fired or could be fired soon.

Maybe all along Rex Ryan wasn't that good of a coach to begin with????

He took a Bills team who had a top 5 ranked defense before he came there and they were always ranked in the 20's after he got there. Even before he hired Rob Ryan, there was no signs of improvements. 

He came to the Jets possibly at the most perfect opportunistic time after they had a solid defense in the making for the past several years. Maybe Mangini was the real brain behind that team's making, after all? 

I wouldn't even want Rex as a DC. Those old Ravens teams he used to coordinate were always loaded with defensive talent. Rex has proven that he is not a coach like Dungy who can take mediocre talent on defense and play them in situational roles and squeeze the best talent out of them. 

I think Rex is a better fit for the NFL Network. He has a big personality and isn't afraid to tell it like it is. He obviously knows his football but I think the lack of discipline and players coach mentality just might not be enough to be a SB winning coach.  It's hard to say how good he could have been. He has been saddled with horrible qbs for much of his coaching career. In the end coaches need talent....and he hasn't had a lot of it in NY or Buff on the offensive side of the ball. I think he should take some time outside of coaching for a couple years and by then somebody will take another shot at him I'm sure.

I am impressed that Kim & Terry Pegula are aggressive, don't waste time hanging onto to a HC that isn't getting their franchise any closer to a ring, & they keep moving forward in their quest to make Buffalo respectable again. 

She even talks about how the stadium & the city will go nuts not if, but when, they win a Championship as a team. That kind of confidence/drive is refreshing to see. 

Both have worn it thin, there is no room for any more failure. Buffalo should press charges against both for impersonating coaches that knew their business. Miami was a solid example of Rob's "no-defense". "Good old boy" coaches have no place in any sport in this ear of win at all costs.

On 12/27/2016 at 0:12 PM, TDewar1987 said:

I wouldn't be upset to have Rex as a DC. I seriously doubt Rex gets offered a head coaching job anywhere else. 

On 12/27/2016 at 0:39 PM, PeterBowman said:

something must have been a foot in Buffalo.

I would have Rex as either. Rex Ryan's defense schemes are too detailed and complicated for typical players to memorize and execute properly.  That is why under Jim Schwartz's command in 2014, the Bills defense was ranked fourth in both points and yards allowed while under Rex Ryan's guidance in both 2015 and 2016, the Bills defense ranked around 15th in points allowed and 19th in yards allowed.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/buffalo-bills-opinion/2015/12/16/10287888/rex-ryan-defensive-scheme-is-complicated-per-buffalo-bills-players