Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Nice article to start your Friday

Andrew Luck fan club

The article is spot on. I don't like seeing a young guy take a beating in the press but all of it is true. Of all times to step up last week would have been a great time for him to do that. Unfortunately he didn't play well and had atleast one more drop. I think that Dorsett still has a chance to be a good player in the NFL but he needs to start getting better soon. He was selected 29th and Reggie Wayne was selected 30th when he came out. Reggie had a couple of slow years to start his career but took off in his 3rd year.

It is time for Dorsett to start showing he can be a go to guy and take some steps forward.

He's the same player now that he was at Miami.  What's disappointing to me isn't that he shows the same skills as he's always displayed, it's that the Colts seem to be asking him to be something he isn't, which is a bubble screen, short route, possession type.  He isn't ever going to be Reggie.  He hasn't ever been that kind of WR, and he won't magically become that in my opinion.  Don't let stats from games against Arkansas St, fool you.  Let the kid use the one skill, the one reason he became a first round pick - his elite "see-ya" speed. 

"WEAKNESSES: Size isn't a strength with average-at-best height/length, lean-framed body type and limited bulk...not the most natural hands or focus and will have some easy drops...needs to do a better job at the catch point to slow and use his body to shield defenders from the ball, taking advantage of his extension to finish catches...needs to add polish to his route running with some tight footwork and lack of diverse stem releases...needs to better keep his feet at the contact point...can improve his ability to direct traffic as a ballcarrier, unnecessarily running into blockers or defenders - room to improve his field awareness to better know what's going on around him.

Dorsett led Miami in receiving the two seasons he was a healthy starter (2012, 2014), but his special teams impact was disappointing and the durability concerns cannot be ignored due to his size and limited bulk. While he still needs work, Dorsett has the "see-ya" speed and instant acceleration to be a dangerous No. 2/3 NFL receiver - will be drafted higher than he should because of his outstanding speed."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1836058/phillip-dorsett

Am I the only one that doesn't see this "Elite Speed" from Dorsett? Half the time it looks like he's jogging his routes. He may have track speed, but to me it doesn't look like it translates to the field. T.Y. looks remarkably faster than him and Rogers looks quicker as well. You'd think that with 4.3 speed he'd at least gas somebody on a go route every once in a while instead of just getting caught up and getting a PI call. Now Tyreek Hill has elite speed, Dorsett, I haven;t seen it yet.

He had a baaaad game last week, that much is for sure. But outside of Luck and a handful of other guys, this whole team has played like garbage all year, I don't really see the point of writing an article that exclusively singles out Dorsett. As far as I'm concerned, he's pretty low on the list of the Colts problems right now.

The saddest part of the article for me:

While Dorsett struggles, Brown, who was taken by New England three spots behind the receiver, was on "Monday Night Football" recording a safety against Baltimore while plugging the middle of the line of scrimmage. Collins, who was taken one pick after Brown, leads the Giants in tackles (100) and also has five interceptions and three sacks.

A bad pick by a front office that doesn't scout well combined with a coaching staff that is unable of getting the best out of all of its players gives you situations like this. 

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

He had a baaaad game last week, that much is for sure. But outside of Luck and a handful of other guys, this whole team has played like garbage all year, I don't really see the point of writing an article that exclusively singles out Dorsett. As far as I'm concerned, he's pretty low on the list of the Colts problems right now.

I think it's because of his status as a first round pick and how much controversy (for lack of a better term) there was at the pick.  There were some good talents available that would fill needs, but we went after Dorsett.  I don't think people care as much if Josh Ferguson is having a bad year, but a first round pick like Dorsett should be playing way better.

Just now, 21isSuperman said:

The saddest part of the article for me:

A bad pick by a front office that doesn't scout well combined with a coaching staff that is unable of getting the best out of all of its players gives you situations like this. 

I think it's because of his status as a first round pick and how much controversy (for lack of a better term) there was at the pick.  There were some good talents available that would fill needs, but we went after Dorsett.  I don't think people care as much if Josh Ferguson is having a bad year, but a first round pick like Dorsett should be playing way better.

I don't disagree, he definitely needs to play better. I can't really imagine what it must be like to be a draft pick that everyone pretty much hates, that has to eat at him, but there's really only one way to silence the critics, and he's not doing it. He's still on his rookie deal, and cheap, so I don't see him going anywhere, but he needs to start producing, stat.

6' guys, who run fast, are a dime a dozen. 1st round picks should be for used for rare super talents, day 1 ready talents and/or rare body types like those at the LOS.  Players like Dorsett are available in every round, and as UDFA's.

It's not his fault though, it's on Grigson and his draft day judgement.

7 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Stick him on special teams & see if Dorsett can return punts. As a WR, his prospects look pretty bleak right now. 

Malcolm Brown or Giants safety Landon Collins would be valuable additions for us at the moment as the article states. 

Honestly as good as they look for their team I doubt our coaches would know how to progress their talent 

52 minutes ago, will426 said:

Honestly as good as they look for their team I doubt our coaches would know how to progress their talent 

True. Just because Brown or Collins might hypothetically be in a Colts uniform, there is no guarantee either guy would flourish under this regime as currently constructed. 

Look, I don't hate Pagano or Grigson personally. Well, maybe Ryan's cryptic press conferences & Chuck's blind optimism for cleaning up mistakes for next week is growing old. I just know this partnership has run it's course & I won't fully engage with this team again until we get new blood on the sidelines. I know I sound like a broken record, but it's like a bad relationship. We had some good laughs & fond moments, but it's time to sever ties & go our separate ways now. 

I like Chuck as a person, but the NFL is a results business & like Harry The Cat said in another thread this team isn't even watchable right now meaning competitive. We stink. 

Yes W426 is right. Even if we had Brown or Collins, this staff would use them wrong or not put them in the best position to make an impact every week. 

2 hours ago, southwest1 said:

True. Just because Brown or Collins might hypothetically be in a Colts uniform, there is no guarantee either guy would flourish under this regime as currently constructed. 

Look, I don't hate Pagano or Grigson personally. Well, maybe Ryan's cryptic press conferences & Chuck's blind optimism for cleaning up mistakes for next week is growing old. I just know this partnership has run it's course & I won't fully engage with this team again until we get new blood on the sidelines. I know I sound like a broken record, but it's like a bad relationship. We had some good laughs & fond moments, but it's time to sever ties & go our separate ways now. 

I like Chuck as a person, but the NFL is a results business & like Harry The Cat said in another thread this team isn't even watchable right now meaning competitive. We stink. 

Yes W426 is right. Even if we had Brown or Collins, this staff would use them wrong or not put them in the best position to make an impact every week. 

Salute 

8 hours ago, Douzer said:

.... It's not his fault though, it's on Grigson and his draft day judgement.

Ultimately Grigson takes responsibility, but these simpleton statements of all the bad draft picks being Grigson's fault are really blame the messenger.  I am pretty sure that he VERY much relies on the Colts' draft scouts.

Question, when he was hired, did he turf all of the Colts scouts and put all new ones in place, or did the Colts scouting staff remain largely in place inherited by Grigson?

it just gets tiresome hearing it's all Grigson's fault when there is a group of scouts that contribute VERY much to the draft board.

All that being said, I consider it pretty much idiocy to stick to a pure BPA mantra.  A GM must build a "team" and thus, holes need to be filled.  Due to that, I consider the Dorsett pick bad because it was one of the least Colts needs at the time.   I was yelling for them to take Collins to fill their dire DB need.  For that Grigson must take blame for bad strategic draft philosophy and for being suckered by whatever Colts scouts that were singing the praises of Dorsett.

peple ought to be fair, though, and quit solely blaming Grigson.  Blame I think needs to be directed at the entire scouting staff.

15 hours ago, rockywoj said:

Ultimately Grigson takes responsibility, but these simpleton statements of all the bad draft picks being Grigson's fault are really blame the messenger.  I am pretty sure that he VERY much relies on the Colts' draft scouts.

Question, when he was hired, did he turf all of the Colts scouts and put all new ones in place, or did the Colts scouting staff remain largely in place inherited by Grigson?

it just gets tiresome hearing it's all Grigson's fault when there is a group of scouts that contribute VERY much to the draft board.

All that being said, I consider it pretty much idiocy to stick to a pure BPA mantra.  A GM must build a "team" and thus, holes need to be filled.  Due to that, I consider the Dorsett pick bad because it was one of the least Colts needs at the time.   I was yelling for them to take Collins to fill their dire DB need.  For that Grigson must take blame for bad strategic draft philosophy and for being suckered by whatever Colts scouts that were singing the praises of Dorsett.

peple ought to be fair, though, and quit solely blaming Grigson.  Blame I think needs to be directed at the entire scouting staff.

He still watches the tape, and actually makes the pick. Maybe the scout team isn't great but in my opinion Grigson has hurt this team more than he's helped.