Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Gronk to have surgery, to miss several weeks

chad72

Patriots have not won a SB when Gronk has not been around healthy, his presence along with Edelman was huge in that SB win vs Seahawks, each of them catching a TD and helping exploit mismatches. They get Dion Lewis back, now Gronk is out. Sucks for Pats fans but I totally understand if it makes other teams elated.

Now, their home game vs the Ravens and the road game at the Broncos get more interesting, the two pivotal games for them coming up.

1 minute ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

That's a life altering injury. No way, imo, that he plays again this year. Superbowl or not. That's like three back injuries so far. He's going to be living in constant pain if he doesn't handle this one well 

Yep and you have to ask yourself at some point, is it really worth continuing to hurt my quality of life in my future outside of the NFL which will be a whole lot longer.

1 minute ago, weslo1812 said:

Yep and you have to ask yourself at some point, is it really worth continuing to hurt my quality of life in my future outside of the NFL which will be a whole lot longer.

I saw your other post and completely agree that his career is going to be over soon. I'm sure he'll get some money from the NFL/Organization that will make his decision easier to retire. But idk how that works 

32 minutes ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

That's a life altering injury. No way, imo, that he plays again this year. Superbowl or not. That's like three back injuries so far. He's going to be living in constant pain if he doesn't handle this one well 

I don't know what kind of injury that really is so I can't say for sure.  But if I can make it back for the Super Bowl and play in a limited capacity if necessary, I'm playing and I'll consider retirement afterwards.  Obviously, my ignorance of what this surgery entails is a factor, but in the back of my mind, I know Brady only has so much left and heaven knows where the Pats will be if he stays after.  The possibility of ever getting back to the SB, should Brady's age catch up to him next season, is undoubtedly uncertain.  that's what would be running through my head anyway.  

1 hour ago, snkdy said:

Pats fans are thinking he's back for the AFCG or the SB, if they make it that far. 

I wonder though when he comes back if he will have some rust, so even when he does return, he probably won't be playing at his prime.

2 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Yikes! The dude's a clown, but an amazing player, this sucks for him. I had this surgery when I was 22, it still affects me every day of my life.

Yea, he will be feeling it for a while. I have a bad back (lower back scoliosis) and even though it's just minor, I feel it quite often. Ironically the worst part is when you're trying to sleep. You really feel it then.

25 minutes ago, Yehoodi said:

Yah this is a real bummer.  We should know in a next few days or week or so if the Pats will put him on IR or save a roster spot hoping he will be back later in the year time will tell.   At least we have Bennett to help fill the hole. 

Bennett is a beast.  He's not Gronk but he's a #1 tight end on a lot of teams.  The Bears have given away two great tight ends the past 5 years(Olson too).  I think the Pats will be fine.  Is it just me or is Gronk becoming injury prone?  I know he's had a broken forearm, elbow issue and knee issue?  Now back?  Maybe it's just me, he's really not that old either. 

5 minutes ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

Bennett is a beast.  He's not Gronk but he's a #1 tight end on a lot of teams.  The Bears have given away two great tight ends the past 5 years(Olson too).  I think the Pats will be fine.  Is it just me or is Gronk becoming injury prone?  I know he's had a broken forearm, elbow issue and knee issue?  Now back?  Maybe it's just me, he's really not that old either. 

The forearm was an unusual injury.  His knee was taken out by Ward when he played for the Browns, so i can not blame Gronk for that injury.  His threw out his back in college and supposedly the story goes he got into a lifting contest and Gronk tried to pick up too much weight and threw out his back.  

He does seem injury prone but at the same time he gets involved in some of the most violent collisions on teh pitch.

Yes,  was glad that we got Bennett in the off season, as he is like a poor man's Gronk, may not be as explosive but i think he will fill in Gronk's shoes as well and anyone could do.  

Moving forward not sure what is going to happen with Gronk, my guess is that he will stay on the team and we will make due with the knowledge that he could miss games each season.   

37 minutes ago, Yehoodi said:

The forearm was an unusual injury.  His knee was taken out by Ward when he played for the Browns, so i can not blame Gronk for that injury.  His threw out his back in college and supposedly the story goes he got into a lifting contest and Gronk tried to pick up too much weight and threw out his back.  

He does seem injury prone but at the same time he gets involved in some of the most violent collisions on teh pitch.

Yes,  was glad that we got Bennett in the off season, as he is like a poor man's Gronk, may not be as explosive but i think he will fill in Gronk's shoes as well and anyone could do.  

Moving forward not sure what is going to happen with Gronk, my guess is that he will stay on the team and we will make due with the knowledge that he could miss games each season.   

I don't think any of it is his fault.  He's just had some bad luck.  Hopefully he'll work out a team friendly deal to stay in the future.  He's the best tight end in the game but I know the Pats wouldn't be afraid to move on from him if it came down to what's best for the franchise. 

6 minutes ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

I don't think any of it is his fault.  He's just had some bad luck.  Hopefully he'll work out a team friendly deal to stay in the future.  He's the best tight end in the game but I know the Pats wouldn't be afraid to move on from him if it came down to what's best for the franchise. 

Yah i hope he stays.  Part of me would like to see him have a great career and be able to play full seasons, regardless of where he plays for his sake.  At the same time, if indeed lady luck does not shine on him and he and the team are comfortable with him playing a limited role of games year in and year out that i would hope he would stay with the pats. 

1 hour ago, 21isSuperman said:

They have a big bodied TE in Bennett to lean on while Gronk is out.  If I recall correctly, this isn't the first time Gronk has had some work done on his back.

Correct....10,13, and now 16 I believe. Troubling to say the least. Football is a great sport but there he has his whole life to think about. I fear we will never get to see what Gronk could do over a 10 year career...much less a 12-15.

2 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

They have a big bodied TE in Bennett to lean on while Gronk is out.  If I recall correctly, this isn't the first time Gronk has had some work done on his back.

This will be his 3rd back surgery...   Read the link I posted above.

I never understand why NFL Network always brings up Gronk's health injures all the way back to college. Who cares? I guess if you want a TE's complete breakdown of injures ever since they played meaningful ball is the reason. 

If I was Gronk, I would shut it down for the yr & concentrate on rehab exclusively now. BB & Brady can still make a deep playoff run without him. Chris Hogan is a big target around 6'1 & besides it's December now & Bill loves to run the ball with Blount, White, & Lewis when the weather gets nasty anyway. James White is so good at catching passes from Brady on screens & he's just as slippery as Julian Edelman on underneath routes too. 

Quite Frankly, I know Bennett will pick up the slack left by Gronk. But honestly, I don't think the TE position will be excessively used that much in late December. 

I do feel bad for Gronk because he's just an overgrown kid in a Frankenstein body. I dislike losing to him as a Colts fan sure, but the guy makes me laugh & I can't be mad at him as a person or elite TE. He's actually a darn nice guy. I can separate team rivalry stuff from personality comedian traits which I enjoy seeing in adults. 

51 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Miami has a real chance to win that division now...

I know the fins won like 6 straight wins which is impressive, but Ryan Tannehill doesn't scare anybody. Let's be honest.

They're not winning the AFC East. No way. Would it be nice to see for diehard fans? Sure. Will it happen? Nobody believes that fairytale even in the Christmas season OUM. 

11 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

I never understand why NFL Network always brings up Gronk's health injures all the way back to college. Who cares? I guess if you want a TE's complete breakdown of injures ever since they played meaningful ball is the reason. 

SW, it was in college where he first threw out his back.  The instant surgery is the third surgery on his back and it seems that it may be the same discs that the hurt back in college.  Perhaps why the NFLN are talking about the college injury as it is the same area. 

2 minutes ago, Yehoodi said:

SW, it was in college where he first threw out his back.  The instant surgery is the third surgery on his back and it seems that it may be the same discs that the hurt back in college.  Perhaps why the NFLN are talking about the college injury as it is the same area. 

Yes, that is what I took out of the article I read.

It is a shame.  I know I've make jokes about him, and knocked him over the years,  but he is a force on the field for sure.     The Pats are definitely a more dangerous opponent with him in the lineup.   

I have to wonder if this will end his career, or if he'll be back next year.  I do believe he's done for the remainder of this year.

7 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

I know the fins won like 6 straight wins which is impressive, but Ryan Tannehill doesn't scare anybody. Let's be honest.

They're not winning the AFC East. No way. Would it be nice to see for diehard fans? Sure. Will it happen? Nobody believes that fairytale even in the Christmas season OUM. 

Miami's last 5 games are Baltimore, Arizona, Jets Buffalo and NE....

If they win them all and NE loses at Denver....Miami wins the AFC East

4 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

That's a whole bunch of "if's"   but I  agree,  it is definitely a possibility this year.

1 minute ago, oldunclemark said:

Miami won't beat Buffalo, Baltimore, or NE IMO. The Jets & the Cards they should beat without too much trouble. 

The Fins always play NE tough, but BB & Brady will win that game by at least 7-10 points. Unless Suh steps on Brady's leg after a sack. [It bothers me how dirty Suh is as a pass rusher. He's always taking cheap shots. I hate that.]

28 minutes ago, Gramz said:

Yes, that is what I took out of the article I read.

It is a shame.  I know I've make jokes about him, and knocked him over the years,  but he is a force on the field for sure.     The Pats are definitely a more dangerous opponent with him in the lineup.   

I have to wonder if this will end his career, or if he'll be back next year.  I do believe he's done for the remainder of this year.

Nice post Gramz. Yeah, we all poke fun at our AFC rivals in jest, but that's an athlete's biggest fear, is my body letting me down for good longterm? I sincerely hope not. Gronk's a good goodwill ambassador for the NFL.

He never gets into trouble off the field. He represents the community of Boston well. And, if he were on the Colts, fans would revere him. Even Grigson & Pagano couldn't use Gronk incorrectly in games. LOL! Yeah, I know. That was a backhanded criticism masquerading as a complement. My bad.