Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Should the NFL allow ties ?

digroute88

Should the NFL allow ties ? I'm not a big fan of ties . I know they are rare but they do happen (like last night ) . What could they do to resolve this thing ? Obviously time is a problem for TV . Perhaps they could use college OT rules if the game is still tied after OT .

I like the tie being part of the game.   We only get 1 every few years so it's kind of neat when it does happen.

Those 2 teams played a heck of a game last night.   I don't think either deserved to lose.

I was pulling for the Cardinals to win though.

i dont think there should be any ties

my idea- make overtime sudden death after the first drive like it is now.  if OT still ends in a tie then have the kickers go into a field goal shoot out. 

im sure there are people out there that wouldnt care for that, but i dont like what we have now.  there is no perfect solution

21 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i dont think there should be any ties

my idea- make overtime sudden death after the first drive like it is now.  if OT still ends in a tie then have the kickers go into a field goal shoot out. 

im sure there are people out there that wouldnt care for that, but i dont like what we have now.  there is no perfect solution

Why a kickout instead of college rules ?

3 minutes ago, digroute88 said:

Why a kickout instead of college rules ?

college OT seems strange to me. my idea would keep the normal OT rules we have now

if it still ended in a tie, the shootout would fix that

its hard to find a solution everyone agrees one

It wouldn't make me mad to go back to the way it was before the overtimes.

There wasn't a problem before and it worked out as far as the playoffs.

What is wrong with teams playing to a tie? That means there were evenly matched on that particular day.

Extra time makes the opportunities for injuries to go up especially when players get more tired.

18 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

It wouldn't make me mad to go back to the way it was before the overtimes.

There wasn't a problem before and it worked out as far as the playoffs.

What is wrong with teams playing to a tie? That means there were evenly matched on that particular day.

Extra time makes the opportunities for injuries to go up especially when players get more tired.

I like the new way much better . I think it was inspired by the Brett Farve game in the playoffs . I guess there were thousands of fans that were disappointed with the finish of the game .

3 minutes ago, digroute88 said:

I like the new way much better . I think it was inspired by the Brett Farve game in the playoffs . I guess there were thousands of fans that were disappointed with the finish of the game .

That's understandable.

I think they should cut the overtime down some. Why does it have to be a whole quarter? Make it like 10 minutes or something like that. It would put more pressure on the teams to move the ball?? Just a thought? lol

After thinking about this a bit I would like to go back the way it was. Pure sudden death.

It was changed because so many were complaining about a field goal winning the game.

Well if a teams defense cant hold another team out of field goal range they deserve to lose the game.

11 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

After thinking about this a bit I would like to go back the way it was. Pure sudden death.

It was changed because so many were complaining about a field goal winning the game.

Well if a teams defense cant hold another team out of field goal range they deserve to lose the game.

The thinking was, all you have to do is get in FG range and game over.  Then last night happened.

3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

But wouldn't that put the game up to the one player that the rules of the overtime wanted to avoid in the fist place?

im not sure the rules are trying to avoid that.  what we have now puts the game on their legs anyway

ties usually only happen if they miss, or the QB doesn't realize it can end in a tie

3 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

im not sure the rules are trying to avoid that.  what we have now puts the game on their legs anyway

ties usually only happen if they miss, or the QB doesn't realize it can end in a tie

I just stated that because the rules were changed so a game couldn't be won on a FG without the other team getting the ball back.

Thank God all OT games don't play out like that did last night. That was crazy.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

But wouldn't that put the game up to the one player that the rules of the overtime wanted to avoid in the fist place?

I thought the old way OK.   Flip of the coin.   Can't be more fair than that.

But after thinking about it, I don't care for it in this offense powered league (not last night).   That last couple years of the old way were not real competitive overtimes.   The coin flip winner would complete 2 or 3 passes and their kicker would win the game.   Many teams have kickers who can kick 50+ yard field goals consistently (again not last night).

I like the current system.   Still adds strategy and defense into it.  First team with the ball could kick the field goal and hope their defense can hold the other team to at least a field goal.   Or they can go for it. 

4 hours ago, shakedownstreet said:

a lot of workplaces require ties

The NFL doesn't!  Remember this?

Jack-Del-Rio.jpg

Back on topic: I generally don't like ties.  I really don't like ties when they happen to games like the one we had last night because I loved watching it and wanted to see those two great defenses keep going.  At the same time, you could argue that neither team deserved to lose because their defenses played such outstanding football and it would have been a shame to have seen a defense perform so great, only to get a loss in the end.

Since ties in sports are pretty scarce especially in professional football, I am cool with it. Man, SNF was exciting last night. 2 FG kickers miss the ability to close out the game last night. It was quite riveting actually. No high powered offense just a defensive struggle for 5 quarters. Sweet. 

Bruce Arians was so right on the money. "This isn't high school. I expect you to make it." Amen to that. Our guy Adam V is setting records without missing & AZ would pay anything for a clutch kicker, even a decent kicker. 

Could you imagine if you were exhausted fighting for 5 Qtrs & your kicker misses the only play that really mattered? I'd be so frustrated like are you bleeping kidding me?! All you have to do is put it between the uprights & you come up short. And fans wonder why kickers can generate such animosity in others...

7 hours ago, braveheartcolt said:

Only change I would have is the toss. Change it to give the team with more xx (Td's or Yards or least penalties etc). Or the Road team gets to choose. Anything. There is no place in a coin toss in pro sports after the game has started.....

I like the coin flip.   It's fair.