Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Manning, Irsay & Kravitz Saga (Mega Merge)

Case

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kravitz is just doing his job which is to cause havoc whether the information is valid or not. It's also to get the media and the public to talk about stuff like this, he's doing his job and doing it effectively. Easy way to avoid it is just don't pay attention to him, which I personally don't.

The other side of this arguement is once apon a time Peyton Manning and John Elway were supposed to be the next big thing and look how they turned out...

This is a possibility. Not ruling it out.

I didn't guarantee anything. Even you admit there is a chance he might be. So I'm saying just "get ready" to assume your usual position in the standings.

Why should a top 2-3 defense be scared of a rookie QB with a bad run game, O-line, receiving group, and awful defense.

Do you suppose it was the comments he made at the press conference that prompted Kravitz to assert that Irsay was mad at Manning.

http://www.colts.com...a8-3fa39e7ad5a2

I didn't have that impression listening to the press conference and I don't have that impression reading it either

These are hard times...

I'm surte they'' talk it out.

Nobody's going to make any decisions over a few words..

Irsay doesnt want Manning to leave and Manning doenst want to go.

If you rread EVERYTHING irsay said....he still wants manning.

Maybe there isn't one. Then again, find me one player that has done more for a city, owner, and a team than Peyton Manning?

I'm not saying he doesn't deserve everything he has or has gotten from the team.

Only that the idea that he's been mistreated here is silly.

They let him run practices for Pete's sake.

You want to talk about mistreated? Lets talk mistreated. Did you know that Alex Smith and Jason Campbell have had to learn a different offense EVERY SINGLE YEAR of their careers? Not Peyton. No he's had the same offense he had as a rookie. Name me the number one wide reciever Jay Cutler has to throw to in Chicago? Not Peyton. He had at one point 5 first round picks on the field to throw the ball to. Do you know what it's like to have your hometown fan's cheer you getting injured like Chad Pennington? Peyton Manning doesn't. Heck, our owner doesn't automatically give him 50+ million to sit in the training room and we lose our minds.

Peyton deserves everything he has. But he hasn't been mistreated.

He built the city in the only sport it has ever succeeded in. And they want to just throw it all away. Peyton's legacy will not look the same if he leaves with another team.

Lucas Oil Stadium would NEVER EVER in a million years exist without Peyton. Now to take all that away and hand it all away and put it in the hands of a quarterback who is questionable is just wrong

That's not accurate at all. There have been good qb drafted after manning. So who's to say we would be the la colts. We would of found a diff qb and possibly won more then one ring who knows.

Too bad for you guys and for the Texans. I really wanted to shut up all the * saying we won the division because Manning was out. I also wanted to see JJ Watt, Antonio Smith, Brooks Reed, Connor Barwin, Brian Cushing, and DeMeco Ryans destroy Manning twice a year. Face it with Manning in you wont win the division but will be competitive because Manning is one of the best ever. Without Manning it will take 5-6 years for you to come back into contention for anything other than a top 5 pick.

One playoff appearance ever, and now the Texans own the division. That's funny. Some levity during an otherwise tough week of being a Colts fan. I thank you.

One playoff appearance ever, and now the Texans own the division. That's funny. Some levity during an otherwise tough week of being a Colts fan. I thank you.

I know right?

I say let them dream. Who knows how long they'll have to enjoy this.

I'm not saying he doesn't deserve everything he has or has gotten from the team.

You want to talk about mistreated? Lets talk mistreated. Did you know that Alex Smith and Jason Campbell have had to learn a different offense EVERY SINGLE YEAR of their careers? Not Peyton. No he's had the same offense he had as a rookie. Name me the number one wide reciever Jay Cutler has to throw to in Chicago? Not Peyton. He had at one point 5 first round picks on the field to throw the ball to. Do you know what it's like to have your hometown fan's cheer you getting injured like Chad Pennington? Peyton Manning doesn't. Heck, our owner doesn't automatically give him 50+ million to sit in the training room and we lose our minds.

All the things you point out weren't only (or even for the most part) done for Manning's benefit. I thought the argument was that someone that has done so much (Manning) should be treated with a little more respect. Sounds like Grigson and Irsay are both turning their backs on him...or in Grigson's case have yet to reach out to him.

Edited by colts_mp

While that might be true, if Peyton Manning doesn't become a Colt, and lead them to the success that they have had, then this team would have been moved long ago to LA. There might be a replacment to the RCA dome, which would be used by the City, NCAA, etc, but it most certainly wouldn't be housing an NFL football team.Hence, LOS is the House that Peyton Built. If they would have drafted Ryan Leaf, or if Manning had been a bust, there is no Indianapolis Colts at this point.

and the rest.....

In addition to everything else, the Colts 1998 lease agreement (the year Manning was drafted and unproven) was for a 20 years, renewable for up to 10 additional years. The seating max went up 5,000 from the old 63,000 capacity with the new stadium in 2008. It's a cooperative thing......the city does it's part to make sure the team grosses what the NFL average is to keep them in town & the team owner does his part to fill the seats. The city/region benefit greatly from the franchise and that venture has to keep on rollin' to keep it profitable to ownership. That's the way it works & the way it's gone down.

Again I would pub the WFYI and Indy Star show tonight called from Naptown to Super City on at 9:00 PM. It does a great job showing the story of just how important sports has been to downtown Indianapolis and how the city has grown thanks in large part to sports. It also tells the Indy side of the story with the "move". I am not trying to shove this down people's throats just really think it's worth watching for people who want to see just how important sports as a whole have been to the city of Indianapolis.

I'll 2nd this.

All the things you point out weren't only (or even for the most part) done for Manning's benefit. I thought the argument was that someone that has done so much (Manning) should be treated with a little more respect. Sounds like Grigson and Irsay are both turning their backs on him.

Turning their back on him?

Did you not listen to the almost 2 minutes of solid praise Irsay gave him before he said this is purely a health issue? Were you asleep a year ago when Irsay insisted, INSISTED that Peyton be the highest paid player in the league?

What should they do? Build a statue of him? Declare him overlord of all Indianapolis? Name him GM and Owner and let him do whatever he wants?

i think it is just more of Kravitz putting his own negative spin on what was said, to further his agenda. Bob has been trying to push Peyton out the door for months on end and has been relentless in trying to put his own spin on what everyone has to say.

From what i heard on the radio, it was not a personal interview between kravitz and irsay, but it was irsay speaking with the entire room...and am i the only one that finds it ironic that kravitz is the only one making it into something negative?!

as for JMV, he clarified that he is only reporting what kravitz has tweeted and that is the only side of it he has seen

THANK YOU. I am SO SICK of reading all of this garbage. All of these jokers in the media want to be the one with the longest track of predicting the outcome of this situation. It's like Watergate.

Everyone counting on Luck needs to remember that he is no sure thing - a lot of top prospects have trouble in the NFL, or get early injuries from which they never recover. People seem to be thinking that Peyton us the only gamble, and that just is not the case - Luck could be the next Kijana Carter or Ryan Leaf, great prospects with no NFL career.

I think the Kravitz and the espn and nfl network media has added fuel to the fire about Manning leaving that fact of the matter is none of them know what is going to happen, i dont about everyone but i wish they would get off the conversation until some concrete decsion has been made about his future its all speculation on their part, ........

Yeah, and you don't give an interview that's going to get 24 hour news play telling the world you don't like the new direction your boss is taking the organization. Because let's be honest, that's exactly what he did. That whole line about "this isn't a good place for healing right now..." what possible good could that serve? Why the need to tell the world everyone is "walking on egg shells?"

You want to get upset with Jim for speaking out on the subject, then you need to get upset with Peyton too because it was his whole interview that started this nonsense. And you know what? Jim is right, Peyton IS being a politician here. He can say he doesn't want to turn this into a fan war against the owner, but that's PRECISELY what happened.

Listen, I love Peyton and all he's done for us. I'm hoping he's back under center next year and retires as a Colt. But he's not infailable and he has his own part to play in the mess.

Good post.

How is he being mistreated? He has been the highest if not one of the highest paid players since his first contract? He has been give "carte blanche" over personel decisions, including Coaching. He was paid a handsome sum to not play last year plus a contract that is now hamstringing the team. Wow, if that's being mistreated, sign me up :td:

I really don't see how Irsay's words were any harsher than what Manning said to Kravitz? Actually Manning came across as a victim, imo. He has said zero, letting his Dad set the stage, then comes out with the pity card? Whatever you think of either Man both are right in their own way....only differance is one is an Owner and one is an employee that has HOF credentials.

Everyone counting on Luck needs to remember that he is no sure thing - a lot of top prospects have trouble in the NFL, or get early injuries from which they never recover. People seem to be thinking that Peyton us the only gamble, and that just is not the case - Luck could be the next Kijana Carter or Ryan Leaf, great prospects with no NFL career.

Both Leaf and Carter had red flags pre draft....I don't believe it is a fair comparison but understand your point.

Did you not listen to the almost 2 minutes of solid praise Irsay gave him before he said this is purely a health issue? Were you asleep a year ago when Irsay insisted, INSISTED that Peyton be the highest paid player in the league?

What should they do? Build a statue of him? Declare him overlord of all Indianapolis? Name him GM and Owner and let him do whatever he wants?

Actually, I bet they will eventually.

I think we should rename the city after him. Peytonapolis has nas a nice ring to it doesn't it?

Actually, I bet they will eventually.

Heh, me too actually.

Well deserved too.

I guess in my mind for the purposes of that post it was like a 50 story, statue of libertyesque monument to his awesomeness. Which actually now that I think about it would be kinda neat.

I should probably edit that lol

I agree, after hearing the comments, Irsay didn't sound real mad about it, he was just upset that Manning went public. Im just getting tired of people automatically thinking that the media(namely Kravitz) is making everything up. People are putting Manning on a pedestal and im thinking a lot of people actually get on their knee's and pray to a bronze statue of him. Im a Peyton fan too but some people take their love for him to an unhealthy level.

You know I agree I just listened to the comments and I didn't see anything that told me he was mad. Maybe he was disappointed but that is the first time that I have ever known that Peyton talked to a reporter and I'm sure that it has hit him hard with all the firing that has happened this past week. Anytime that many changes take place it effects everyone and he is trying to rehab and that is not an easy task. I think they both should sit down and have a chat as soon as possible and I know the SB is in Indy but I think that Irsay can find time to talk to his franchise QB and get this straightened out. Irsay has a whole SB committee that has things under control. His job for the SB is PR and I think he needs to take care of other matters first. JMO of course.

That is exactly what Skip Bayliss said. And I do not like to quote him.

"forcing" manning out of Indy may be a mistake,

but a BIGGER mistake is paying a guy 35+ million to sit on the bench.

Whats the guy supposed to do?

I feel Irsay is handling this as well as he can.

When the decision has to be made, evaluate manning's condition and make the decision.

If Manning's "ego" can't handle luck on the same team, then point him toward the door.

Thing is, what did Irsay get upset with Peyton about? I read Kravitz's interview. I thought Peyton treated the subject with great respect and class. He did not say anything negative about Irsay or the Colts. He talked about his own feelings over the changes taking place so rapidly. If that is being a politician, Irsay is almost admitting that Peyton handled the interview well, because that is what politicians do -- seek to please everybody. It almost sounds like Irsay wants to pick a fight with Peyton to make it all look better on his part when he sends him packing.

Yes he did.

He commented on employees "walking on eggshells" and that it was a "bad place to heal".

The organization doesn't need that crap public, even if true.

its Peyton "jockeying" his position to make his "own rules" or plans.

He's under contract, so shut up and cash those checks. They don't bounce, do they?

Irsay has said ALL ALONG he wanted Peyton here, IF HEALTHY.

to keep him here if he's not ready is just plain stupid.

"forcing" manning out of Indy may be a mistake,

but a BIGGER mistake is paying a guy 35+ million to sit on the bench.

Whats the guy supposed to do?

I feel Irsay is handling this as well as he can.

When the decision has to be made, evaluate manning's condition and make the decision.

If Manning's "ego" can't handle luck on the same team, then point him toward the door.

I don't think Manning's ego is the issue I really don't. If anyone's ego there is the issue it'll be Luck's because he'll be the one doing the sitting.

I think the issue is Peyton's health. Like I said in another thread the problem here is the March 8th deadline and the fact that if we pick up Peyton's option it locks us into Peyton's contract for the next four years. There is no major issue with that contract if Peyton plays. However, if he doesn't play we are in big trouble with the cap paying for a player who isn't there.

So let's say we get to March 8th and the doctors go to Irsay and say look his nervs still aren't back, we think they should come back but they aren't back right now. Jim Irsay then has to make the extremely hard call on if it is worth it to take the risk of locking yourself into Peyton's contract for four more years knowing there is no promise he'll be able to play.

Again I would tell Jim Irsay don't turn this into a PR war and make no mistake you don't call someone a politican or tell them to keep things in house if you aren't slightly upset with them. Both sides are setting the other up to be the bad guy should the divorce happen. I hate to tell Jim Irsay this but he's going to be the bad guy if he cuts Peyton Manning unless Peyton Manning just retires which I don't think is going to happen till he truly has to and I don't think March 8th is going to be that deadline. So rather than fight it I think it would be in Irsay's best interest to accept that and just keep quiet till he has to do it and try to sell it from the stand point of look we had to make an extremely hard business call that we hated doing but we are doing it with the best long term interest of the franchise

Then he has to hope Andrew Luck or RG3 are as good as they are supposed to be and hope Peyton doesn't go to Miami because Miami coming in here next year with Peyton Manning would be a nightmare for the Colts.

This is going to be an extremely hard few months for the Colts and personally I am so glad I don't have to make any of the calls because in a lot of ways you are entering a no win situation with the fans at least in the short term.

Heh, me too actually.

Well deserved too.

I guess in my mind for the purposes of that post it was like a 50 story, statue of libertyesque monument to his awesomeness. Which actually now that I think about it would be kinda neat.

I should probably edit that lol

I'd like to see a courtyard built with multiple statues depicting a play. Manning under center with Saturday... a few feet behind that Manning faking the handoff to edge, afew feet behind that Manning set ready to fire.... 20 and 30 yards down field a statue of Wayne and Harrison on opposite sides running routes....

Yes he did.

He commented on employees "walking on eggshells" and that it was a "bad place to heal".

The organization doesn't need that crap public, even if true.

its Peyton "jockeying" his position to make his "own rules" or plans.

He's under contract, so shut up and cash those checks. They don't bounce, do they?

Irsay has said ALL ALONG he wanted Peyton here, IF HEALTHY.

to keep him here if he's not ready is just plain stupid.

Well of course the staff has been on eggshells they are cleaning house - pretty obvious, and nothing that I think Manning should try to conceal.

According to Kravitz, via Twitter:

"To see Peyton Manning's most recent exclusive comments, check out http://indystar.com in about 15, 20 minutes. #tease"

alright whose with me I say we storm west 56th street and make Peyton Manning and Jim Irsay sit down and talk to each other. If we need to find someone to be the mediate between the two I am sure we can find someone to do that but I do know this Bob Kravitz is NOT that guy!