WR

Ty Hilton                      81.1       Above Average

Donte Moncrief            74.6      Average

Phillip Dorsett              56.1       Poor

Chester Rogers           46.7       Poor

TE

Jack Doyle                   71.6       Average

Eric Swoope                 57.9       Poor

Dwayne Allen               52.1       Poor          Run blocking is worst by far of TE's.  Next cut?  I vote yes

RB

Robert Turbin               64.8       Below Average          His pass blocking is much better than Gore and Ferguson

Frank Gore                   62.6      Below Average          His pass blocking is graded worst among RBs by sizeable margin

Josh Ferguson             55.1       Poor                           Best receiver - Worst runner

OT

Anthony Castonzo        81.5        Above Average        Pass and run blocking are graded about the same

Joe Haeg                      67.0        Below Average         Best run blocking OT, not so much on pass

LeRaven Clark              60.2       Below Average          Pass and run blocking are graded about the same

Joe Reitz                       43.5        * Poor                 Worst at pass and run.  Please cut him Grigson.  He sucks.

OG

Jack Mewhort                82.6        Above Average         Pretty good at both pass and run blocking

Jonotthan Harrison        48.3        Poor                          Horrible pass blocker

Denzelle Good               47.9       Poor                          Much better run blocker than pass

Austin Blythe                  36.6       Puke                          Enough said

C

Ryan Kelly                     71.6        Average                     Pass block = 75.5  Run Block = 53.3

So, looks like we are pretty well set at QB,  (2)WR, LT, LG, C

Need to cut veterans that are suppose to be setting the tone for rookies, but are failing miserably (Allen and Reitz)

At least start Doyle over Allen

Offensive line should probably be  Castonzo  Mewhort  Kelly  Good  Haeg

See if Good and Haeg get better.  If not, switch positions.  If that doesn't work.  Its back to draft and FA.

This jives about right with what I've seen on the field so far.

Luck is playing very well for the most part. But the running backs suck, the right side of the O-line sucks, and Allen has had a disappointing year so far. Hilton and Moncrief are good. I think Kelly has been a clear upgrade over what we've had at the position in the past few years, he's had a few hiccups but will keep getting better. Dorsett needs to step up and become a consistent playmaker, but at least he's flashed ability so there's a bit of optimism there despite the low grade. Jack Doyle's been a pleasant surprise. 

How can Castonzo be graded as above average?  He's been dreadful. Seeing something like that almost removes all credibility from PFF. They must be grading off of past reputation. I'll give them some kudos for Turbin though. Don't know why he's not getting more carries in a timeshare with Gore???  That would help our line gel quicker and develop a hard nosed attitude. 

7 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

How can Castonzo be graded as above average?  He's been dreadful. Seeing something like that almost removes all credibility from PFF. They must be grading off of past reputation. I'll give them some kudos for Turbin though. Don't know why he's not getting more carries in a timeshare with Gore???  That would help our line gel quicker and develop a hard nosed attitude. 

Not really. AC has been good, except for about 10 plays. PFF grades on a play by play basis, so 10 really bad plays isn't going to offset 240 good plays.

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

Not really. AC has been good, except for about 10 plays. PFF grades on a play by play basis, so 10 really bad plays isn't going to offset 240 good plays.

Supe. How many sacks has AC allowed?  I'm sure it's way too many for his pay grade. And is there anyway to find out who has allowed the sacks and pressures?  Not being a smartask. Figure you probably know where to find that information. Just trying to learn more. 

2 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

As a person that is high on PFF such as myself I'd have to agree about the Castonzo grade. I know PFF has their reasons for the grade Castonzo has and they most likely are credible and us fans just are not taking something into account that they are. We have to remember those grades given are checked multiple times by their staff as well as individuals who have either played the game or coached the game.

I don't always agree with PFF grades. Some from time to time are down right eyebrow raising such as Castonzos grade. I do however think they are the best out there and are pretty accurate overall

5 minutes ago, Gavin said:

As a person that is high on PFF such as myself I'd have to agree about the Castonzo grade. I know PFF has their reasons for the grade Castonzo has and they most likely are credible and us fans just are not taking something into account that they are. We have to remember those grades given are checked multiple times by their staff as well as individuals who have either played the game or coached the game.

I don't always agree with PFF grades. Some from time to time are down right eyebrow raising such as Castonzos grade. I do however think they are the best out there and are pretty accurate overall

I feel you Gavin. I'm sure their rankings are correct. Just based on his pay and production he's been a major disappointment. 

2 hours ago, Gavin said:

Most likely credible?  They obviously aren't credible. 

It is impossible to accurately grade players with the information pff uses.  It is impossible.  

Do do you guys understand that?  It is impossible.  As in not possible.

pff grades are not accurate and are worthless.  

5 minutes ago, dudeski said:

Most likely credible?  They obviously aren't credible. 

It is impossible to accurately grade players with the information pff uses.  It is impossible.  

Do do you guys understand that?  It is impossible.  As in not possible.

pff grades are not accurate and are worthless.  

When you show you have an understanding of how they grade and who goes over the grades they give out AND when you come up with your own grading system and have multiple NFL teams paying for your info then we can have an intelligent conversation on the subject. Until then I will consider your opinions and stance on PFF worthless

12 minutes ago, akcolt said:

The interior of the OL was the off season focus the fact that Mewhort is STILL the only OG on our roster that can block is ridiculous. Blythe being on the roster is a head scratcher 

Good is playing fine, just hurt now. Joe Haeg has played okay at guard. And only two guards play at a time.

I'm not really worried about the OL, personally. I know they haven't played well, but I like the young players, and I think AC is better than he's playing. Mewhort is playing great. Kelly looks good.

27 minutes ago, Superman said:

Good is playing fine, just hurt now. Joe Haeg has played okay at guard. And only two guards play at a time.

I'm not really worried about the OL, personally. I know they haven't played well, but I like the young players, and I think AC is better than he's playing. Mewhort is playing great. Kelly looks good.

I agree with AC Jack and Kelly but the interior was the focus Supe how do we not bring in a G to challenge at RG? The most concerning thing is how did Blythe make the roster?  He was overmatched at Iowa vs odd fronts and bigger DT's at C so who thought he could be a G on Sunday?  Who carries a 3rd string C with no position flexibility when you are already hiding Clark? 

You can't declare the interior of the OL the focus of the offfseason. Then start the season with a starting RG that has no experience and didn't even have a serious challenger for the spot in camp. Then have  Haeg and Harrison backing up our entire OL. How do you have any credibility after that? Do you still feel comfortable with Grig's going forward? I'm losing it very quickly. I'm not sold Clark will ever do more than look the part. 

We are looking at Morrison playing extended snaps in the middle I know how I think that's going to turn out. I'm frustrated and to top it off Ngakoue has a sack 3 weeks in a row. There is excitement about Butlers return IDK man 

Castonzo is ranked 14th best tackle in league

Mewhort is ranked 10th best guard in league

Kelly is ranked 23rd best center in league

Our next best tackle is Haeg at 48th

Interesting side note.  Taylor Lewan of TN is ranked 1st.  And Conklin is ranked 4th.  I'm jealous.

6 minutes ago, bigt said:

Castonzo is ranked 14th best tackle in league

Mewhort is ranked 10th best guard in league

Kelly is ranked 23rd best center in league

Our next best tackle is Haeg at 48th

Interesting side note.  Taylor Lewan of TN is ranked 1st.  And Conklin is ranked 4th.  I'm jealous.

Stanley, Conklin, Tunsil, and Decker were all off the board when the Colts picked.  I'm sure had one of them been available they would have looked at them, but they weren't.  I think we got the best OL available where they picked, and he was the #1 guy at his position.  He is doing fine, not great, but fine, and has time to improve.  I'm not unhappy with the selection at this time and think we did as well as we could have.  Of all the Grigson moves this was NOT one I can bash him on.

I am curious as to how some of the guys picked AFTER Kelly are fairing.  Anybody know?

Grigson did make a good pick with Kelly.  Whitehair is the 12th ranked center with the Bears.  But, its hard for me to consider that a miss.  There are 3 good guards worthy of a 1st or 2nd round pick next year if we need to upgrade.  Feeney and the 2 guards from Ohio State.  Kind of a weak tackle class in my opinion.  At least, compared to last year.

5 minutes ago, bigt said:

Grigson did make a good pick with Kelly.  Whitehair is the 12th ranked center with the Bears.  But, its hard for me to consider that a miss.  There are 3 good guards worthy of a 1st or 2nd round pick next year if we need to upgrade.  Feeney and the 2 guards from Ohio State.  Kind of a weak tackle class in my opinion.  At least, compared to last year.

Feeney is definitely one to watch.  I watch IU football (I know I know) and it is amazing how much better they run the ball with him in there.  He has missed the last couple of games and their run game, which had been pretty good, was not nearly as effective.  He is basically an All-American at IU.  I say again, he is basically an All-American at IU.  That should raise some flags right there.

1 hour ago, akcolt said:

I agree with AC Jack and Kelly but the interior was the focus Supe how do we not bring in a G to challenge at RG? The most concerning thing is how did Blythe make the roster?  He was overmatched at Iowa vs odd fronts and bigger DT's at C so who thought he could be a G on Sunday?  Who carries a 3rd string C with no position flexibility when you are already hiding Clark? 

You can't declare the interior of the OL the focus of the offfseason. Then start the season with a starting RG that has no experience and didn't even have a serious challenger for the spot in camp. Then have  Haeg and Harrison backing up our entire OL. How do you have any credibility after that? Do you still feel comfortable with Grig's going forward? I'm losing it very quickly. I'm not sold Clark will ever do more than look the part. 

We are looking at Morrison playing extended snaps in the middle I know how I think that's going to turn out. I'm frustrated and to top it off Ngakoue has a sack 3 weeks in a row. There is excitement about Butlers return IDK man 

We have four guards besides Mewhort. Thornton got hurt (probably could have seen that coming, but I bet he comes off IR in the second half of the season), Good has been decent, Haeg had the injury but has been decent (and I liked him as a guard prospect coming out), and Harrison has been less awful than he was at center. Everybody can't be a five star recruit, especially when you're talking about depth. Blythe is a luxury, I guess, as a backup center. I don't like him at guard at all.

Having an experienced guard for depth would be good, but those guys are hit and miss. I thought Herremans was a good add last year, and he was awful. I say roll with the young guys, and I think there's a good mix there. Don't know why you're down on Clark; he's not my favorite prospect, but he has the tools to be a good RT, he's just not ready yet.

Not a fan of Morrison, but he's basically a younger version of Jackson and Irving, and that's the kind of LB this staff apparently likes. That's one of my biggest issues with this staff, but at least Morrison plays hard. Moore really let me down.

I don't know who's excited about Butler.

I'm not going to criticize the staff for Ngakoue, because I wasn't a big fan, and I thought he went too high. I think you liked, him, though, so good call, because he's been pretty good.

Every fan likes to play GM and has their own idea on how to build the perfect team.  I don't want to make the same mistake with Luck that we did with Peyton.  Give him an offensive line where all five starters grade out at least average, preferably above average or higher.  I'm hopeful that Haeg and Good or Clark will be those guys by the end of the year.  If not, if I was GM, I'd spend another 1st rounder on an All American guard.  Centers and guards that have 1st round grades are usually pretty stout their rookie year.  If Haeg and Good and or Clark keep improving then, for God's sake, Spend your 1st 4 rounds picks on ILB, OLB, OLB, DL 5 tech, NT, and CB.  LOL - take your pick.

1 minute ago, bigt said:

Every fan likes to play GM and has their own idea on how to build the perfect team.  I don't want to make the same mistake with Luck that we did with Peyton.  Give him an offensive line where all five starters grade out at least average, preferably above average or higher.  I'm hopeful that Haeg and Good or Clark will be those guys by the end of the year.  If not, if I was GM, I'd spend another 1st rounder on an All American guard.  Centers and guards that have 1st round grades are usually pretty stout their rookie year.  If Haeg and Good and or Clark keep improving then, for God's sake, Spend your 1st 4 rounds picks on ILB, OLB, OLB, DL 5 tech, NT, and CB.  LOL - take your pick.

Our best 2 defensive players from last year's draft came in the 3rd and 4th round.

1 minute ago, bigt said:

9 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

Because something tells me the love affair with the putrid Josh Ferguson is another unjustified Grigson meddling problem... "look, I found this UDFA who is just like those New England backs who catch out of the backfield..."  But he can't run.  He's supposed to be a running back.  Turbin CAN run (so can Todman if they'd give him a chance) but no, we're stuck with his big name ancient FA Gore while they desperately try to get him 100 yards at all costs even though every second half he is out of gas, and they most ignore the two real running backs with plenty of gas in the tanks.  Turbin can run AND catch.. play him.  Todman doesn't even get a chance, so why keep him on the roster?  Ferguson has "same old bull" written all over him.  They'd rather try and prove a point than win a game.  

5 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

Because something tells me the love affair with the putrid Josh Ferguson is another unjustified Grigson meddling problem... "look, I found this UDFA who is just like those New England backs who catch out of the backfield..."  But he can't run.  He's supposed to be a running back.  Turbin CAN run (so can Todman if they'd give him a chance) but no, we're stuck with his big name ancient FA Gore while they desperately try to get him 100 yards at all costs even though every second half he is out of gas, and they most ignore the two real running backs with plenty of gas in the tanks.  Turbin can run AND catch.. play him.  Todman doesn't even get a chance, so why keep him on the roster?  Ferguson has "same old bull" written all over him.  They'd rather try and prove a point than win a game.  

You said it brother. I'd run all 3 of em. If Turbin doesn't have it one day, I'd go to Todman. Gore has looked good for his age. But he's still leaving some yards out there on the field because of his it.  Let one of these other backs get some shine.  Quit playing favorites (Ferguson) and trying to not hurt feelings (Gore) or playing guys to justify their contracts (Allen). Play to win the game.  And I'm not saying bench Gore. But there needs to be a timeshare. Gore 15 carries minimum. Turbin and/or Todman 10 carries a game. That's a commitment to 25 runs a game.  And if one of these guys pop then maybe a 50/50 split. 

2 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

You said it brother. I'd run all 3 of em. If Turbin doesn't have it one day, I'd go to Todman. Gore has looked good for his age. But he's still leaving some yards out there on the field because of his it.  Let one of these other backs get some shine.  Quit playing favorites (Ferguson) and trying to not hurt feelings (Gore) or playing guys to justify their contracts (Allen). Play to win the game.  And I'm not saying bench Gore. But there needs to be a timeshare. Gore 15 carries minimum. Turbin and/or Todman 10 carries a game. That's a commitment to 25 runs a game.  And if one of these guys pop then maybe a 50/50 split. 

It definitely sounds reasonable to me. 

6 hours ago, Gavin said:

When you show you have an understanding of how they grade and who goes over the grades they give out AND when you come up with your own grading system and have multiple NFL teams paying for your info then we can have an intelligent conversation on the subject. Until then I will consider your opinions and stance on PFF worthless

When you understand it

there won't be a conversation.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

If that is a fact,  then you should be able to provide it.

Link please?

They don't know the play call.   What else do you need?  That is all you need to know about their rankings.

that was easy

I was livid when the Colts traded down and missed the opportunity to draft Whitehair.

From PFF "Outside of four penalties now in four games, there’s not much Bears fans can complain about with their new center. Whitehair has surrendered only five pressures, and currently owns the seventh-highest run-blocking grade at the position."

Another reason why Grigs needs to go.

Joseph

9 hours ago, Superman said:

I'm not going to criticize the staff for Ngakoue, because I wasn't a big fan, and I thought he went too high. I think you liked, him, though, so good call, because he's been pretty good.

There was a lot of things to not like about Ngakoue - size, length, ability against the run.  Being a pass-rush only guy, at least initially, I had similar thoughts as you.  I liked him, but I don't think anyone on here could have foreseen him going that soon.  He certainly gave Castanzo fits Sunday morning.  

11 hours ago, Superman said:

I think Mewhort is a very good  pass blocker more than a run blocker. He isn't very athletic and seems to trip himself up getting to the second level when run blocking.

Just more proof that Ferguson has no business being on the field for anything other than catching passes. Any defense that watches tape will see that's all he is good at and adjust the sub package to compensate. It's not like he's a threat what-so-ever at running the ball. 

15 hours ago, JPFolks said:

14 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

I don't understand what you guys have against Ferguson. He has a couple drops and he was tripping himself in the first couple games, but he's a rookie. I don't blame him for the protection issues, that's coaching. He's the only back the Colts have that is good in space. Go watch him break down the Chargers LB on an angle route, and explain to me why you're so upset about having a guy with scatback potential getting reps.

This "Grigson medding" nonsense is just that. Everyone on the staff likes Ferguson.