Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pass Rush?

Dark Superman

Guys. Gavin's 100% right. Most teams have a guy capable of putting up double digit sacks. Yeah. Von Miller is one of the top 3 EDGE rushers in the NFL, but still. There's a lot of guys who put up big sack numbers. We do too actually. Mathis. But we've needed another guy for the last few years due to Mathis getting older.

1 hour ago, BOTT said:

Mathis was also popped for PEDS coming off the season he led the league in sacks.

So what's your explanation for the 7 he got coming off a torn Achilles, a suspension and being used as a situational pass rusher? Clearly he wasn't on any PED at that point.

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

So what's your explanation for the 7 he got coming off a torn Achilles, a suspension and being used as a situational pass rusher? Clearly he wasn't on any PED at that point.

I didn't sway he was washed up.   But to expect similar results at his ever advancing age is optimistic.

2 minutes ago, BOTT said:

I didn't sway he was washed up.   But to expect similar results at his ever advancing age is optimistic.

Is it optimistic to think he will get 10-12 with a full seasons work? I dont think so. I think its realistic. Hes fully healthy and moving well.

12 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Its really not all that unusual for great pass rushers to put up big sack numbers and pressure in the late stages of there career. Julius Peppers alone just put up 10.5 sacks last year at 36. The list goes on and on. Keeping Mathis fresh will be key. The most affective way of doing that while maximizing his snaps (I expect he rotates this year more than years past) is to run the ball and be efficient passing so he and the defense doesn't get gassed game after game. Also having Vontae and Cromartie both healthy at the same time would help

If 100% and reasonably fresh game in and game out I expect at least 7 sacks just like last year. I think our defense is going to spend a lot of time on the field though so I don't expect him to be fresh

20 minutes ago, Gavin said:

Its really not all that unusual for great pass rushers to put up big sack numbers and pressure in the late stages of there career. Julius Peppers alone just put up 10.5 sacks last year at 36. The list goes on and on. Keeping Mathis fresh will be key. The most affective way of doing that while maximizing his snaps (I expect he rotates this year more than years past) is to run the ball and be efficient passing so he and the defense doesn't get gassed game after game. Also having Vontae and Cromartie both healthy at the same time would help

If 100% and reasonably fresh game in and game out I expect at least 7 sacks just like last year. I think our defense is going to spend a lot of time on the field though so I don't expect him to be fresh

I don't think this list goes on and on. Currently I can think of peppers and James Harrison.

15 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

his sacks were indicative of pass rushing potential weren't they?  what other  numbers was I supposed to not look at?

I'm just saying they are misleading.  He only had a 1 or two that were impressive and not missed assignments or the like by the offense.

The only thing Grigson has done to try to fix our pass rush was draft a project in Werner (which failed) and allowed Jerry Hughes to walk. Oh, and we signed 33 year old Trent Cole. We allowed Freeman to walk, and failed to bring in any sort of game-changing linebackers period since Ryan has been here. Grigson literally had five years to build this team and was handed a franchise QB from day 1. The Colts are wasting Luck
's talent by consistently giving him a bad offensive line to play behind and a defense who can't get off the field.

I like that strategy.  Let's pick the best player at every position and blast Grigson for not having a guy like that.

I can't understand why Grigs has not been able to find a RB that gives you AP type production?

Why hasn't he found a TE to give you Gronk type production?

Why has he not found WRs that give you Harrison, Rice and Megatron production?

Why has he not found a center to give you Alex Mack type production?

Why has he not found a guy to give you JJ Watt type production?

This is kind of fun, Anyone else want to join in?

21 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I like that strategy.  Let's pick the best player at every position and blast Grigson for not having a guy like that.

I can't understand why Grigs has not been able to find a RB that gives you AP type production?

Why hasn't he found a TE to give you Gronk type production?

Why has he not found WRs that give you Harrison, Rice and Megatron production?

Why has he not found a center to give you Alex Mack type production?

Why has he not found a guy to give you JJ Watt type production?

This is kind of fun, Anyone else want to join in?

I understand your frustration with the board. I try to evaluate how a GM is doing by comparing position groups with other teams that are playoff contenders. I think we still fall short more often than not with those teams that I think of when I compare.

I also have said a number of times, not lately, but many times last year that any GM who blunders first round picks, especially 2 or 3, is digging his own grave. You cannot fail badly with those picks or the roster will suffer and the digging begins. Unfortunately Grigson has 2 big first round flops on his resume' so he's dug himself a start on his own.

I know what you're saying though, you cant have a superstar at every position.

mathis has been completely invisible. his play says it all. i said they needed to move on after he got caught with ped's. thinking he was going to come back like he was, was a big mistake the colts made and are paying for it now. grigson has made a lot of mistakes! everyone still hating on bill polian? he produced top teams every year with a franchise qb. the colts are going the opposite direction without polians players with a franchise qb.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/11/2016 at 11:10 AM, COLTS449 said:

Guys. Gavin's 100% right. Most teams have a guy capable of putting up double digit sacks. Yeah. Von Miller is one of the top 3 EDGE rushers in the NFL, but still. There's a lot of guys who put up big sack numbers. We do too actually. Mathis. But we've needed another guy for the last few years due to Mathis getting older.

Mathis lol

On 9/20/2016 at 8:55 AM, husker61 said:

mathis has been completely invisible. his play says it all. i said they needed to move on after he got caught with ped's. thinking he was going to come back like he was, was a big mistake the colts made and are paying for it now. grigson has made a lot of mistakes! everyone still hating on bill polian? he produced top teams every year with a franchise qb. the colts are going the opposite direction without polians players with a franchise qb.

Age, injuries, plus peds lol I knew Mathis was done 

grigson has made a lot of mistakes! everyone still hating on bill polian? he produced top teams every year with a franchise qb. the colts are going the opposite direction without polians players with a franchise qb.

I hate to break it too you but excluding last year with Luck out we have been 11-5  three years in a row (including a complete rebuild year) and progressed each of those years closer to a SB.  Even with Luck missing most games last year we pulled out a 8-8 record.  Pollian without Peyton 2-14.

This year has yet to be played out before adding it to the equation.

Just saying....:peek:

Pass rushes really blossom when you have the lead. Something we haven't seen much.

Young players like Maggitt don't typically set the world on fire in their first few games.

Wide open receivers limit a pass rushers impact.

5 weeks in, I'm not onboard with trashing our players. Judging now doesn't add up for me.

On 10/16/2016 at 2:42 PM, Douzer said:

Pass rushes really blossom when you have the lead. Something we haven't seen much.

Young players like Maggitt don't typically set the world on fire in their first few games.

Wide open receivers limit a pass rushers impact.

5 weeks in, I'm not onboard with trashing our players. Judging now doesn't add up for me.

the colts had a nice lead last night and he was completely invisible!

• 2 months later...

well, are all the mathis excuse makers here ready to admitt that i was right when i said the colts should cut him after getting caught cheating with ped's! i dont remember anyone agreeing with me back then.

my only problem with polian was keeping players here too long with too big of contracts. since its still happening, maybe it was more ownership than the gm.