Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why did we go for 2?

cdgacoltsfan

I know its only preseason and in the regular season, it would have made sense to go for 2 but why did the Colts go for 2 points at the end of the Ravens preseason game game? Nobody wants to play an overtime in preseason and if the Colts had made the 1 point extra point kick , they would have gone up by 2, therefore, they would have either won if the D held, or lost if the Ravens had made a field goal. If they would have made the 2 point conversion, there was a chance they would have gone into overtime if the Ravens had made a field goal. Thoughts?

I doubt the coaches were thinking about overtime at all. Even if it did go to overtime, that's more reps for the players that need them most. 

Going for 2 gave the players and coaching staff a great opportunity to practice their goal line offense. It's something we struggled with last year and I assume they would like to get as many opportunities as possible in the pre-season.

I assume we were testing our bottom of the depth chart guys to see if we could find a gem in the rough. Honestly, I thought it was more fun having it end the way it did. I was very amused by Mcafee's child-like giddiness when he got the chance to attempt the long field goal (65 yards, I believe). Either way, it's the preseason so it doesn't really matter all that much!! 

12 minutes ago, gnet550 said:

The idea is simple it puts you up three, field goal only ties.  As for preseason, and correct me if I am wrong ( I definitely could be), but I was thinking in preseason there is no overtime. The game would just end in a tie.

Preseason games can go to overtime.  Same rules as regular season

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Preseason games can go to overtime.  Same rules as regular season

Told you I could be wrong.  I think at one point it was being discussed that the preseason games would no longer use overtime.  Good on you Jvan!

4 minutes ago, gnet550 said:

Told you I could be wrong.  I think at one point it was being discussed that the preseason games would no longer use overtime.  Good on you Jvan!

I think the owners voted this off season to keep over time in preseason

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

The real question is - why did we pass for it. 

As Marshawn would say - just run it bro...

From the 1 I understand the pass call. The defense was keyed for the run. 

The real question should be why did we run almost the same exact play after the penalty? We pretty much hand delivered the pick.

1 hour ago, lollygagger8 said:

Why waste everyone's life with preseason Overtime? 

Not too sure about a wasted life with a pre season overtime game. I think the Colts were just using the opportunity to practice the play. Had it went to overtime it was just more opportunity to work the bubble players. After all the Colts did lose the extra pre season game from the HOF game being cancelled. IMO teams cant play with the mindset of avoiding injuries. They are going to happen regardless.

9 hours ago, Smonroe said:

The real question is - why did we pass for it. 

As Marshawn would say - just run it bro...

No, the real question is, why did we run the same damn play on all 3 conversion attempts? The inside WR ran in the flats each time and was the target on the final two.