Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Questioning Colts NT 'Philosophy'.

Lawrence Owen

It has been my belief that the NT in a 3-4 scheme was centered around taking up blockers.  But no-one on our defense is built this way.  Seems to me we have a whole bunch of DE's and DT's on our team.  As a matter of fact, the only true NT listed on the roster is Kerr.

So my question is, Parry, McGill, Kerr, these 3 guys play NT, yet not as a traditional one does.  More of a penetrating NT to cause disruption in the backfield.  Isn't That the job of the DE?  So do we technically have 2 down linemen of DE's, to go with a tackle?

And is this a sound strategy?  I understand getting disruption in the backfield is a good thing, and it is an agressive approach to the 3-4 scheme.  But if the NT is about penetration, then there is another offensive blocker free, so then less chance at the true "rushers" getting in the backfeild at the QB.

Am I wrong, or right, or something inbetween?

P.S.  Don't get me wrong, I like the agressive appreach of this, just not sure if it is wise.

5 hours ago, rock8591 said:

It's a 1-gap version of 3-4, similar to what the Broncos, Texans, and 49ers run. David Parry reminds me of a healthy Ian Williams and Kelly Gregg, as long as things stay that way, it'll be good.

This guy gets it :)

10 hours ago, rock8591 said:

It's a 1-gap version of 3-4, similar to what the Broncos, Texans, and 49ers run. David Parry reminds me of a healthy Ian Williams and Kelly Gregg, as long as things stay that way, it'll be good.

A 1-gap 3-4 in conjunction with the LBs -- as a defensive system in time -- offers a lot of defensive flexibility. We'll see how much the Colt's can do with this flexibility (it can be too flexible, too).

1 minute ago, CoachLite said:

A 1-gap 3-4 in conjunction with the LBs -- as a defensive system in time -- offers a lot of defensive flexibility. We'll see how much the Colt's can do with this flexibility (it can be too flexible, too).

Probably should have mentioned, "and in concert with the DBs", but that should be understood as well,

9 hours ago, twfish said:

Don't remember the days of Chapman and hughes? That was originally the way our NT where and did not work out very well at all. 

Came in here to say this. We tried that approach already and it failed. They went with a different approach (1-gap) and so far it's worked better, and Parry isn't even an elite talent. He's good but all I'm saying is imagine if the Colts had an elite 1-gap NT. Run D would be on another level.

18 minutes ago, backshoulderfade said:

The problem is that true elite 3-4 nose tackles are one of the hardest players to find. How many are there in the league now? Damon Harrison, Dontari Poe?

True but there are some intriguing prospects in the upcoming draft. Makes you wonder if a stud was available at the Colts pick would they take him. They've always wanted a game wrecker at NT.

It's going to be an interesting year with the defense. So many question marks on the defensive side. How will Henry Anderson be when he does return? When will Langford be back? Will we find any young guys that step up to be solid pass rushers? Will the CB position be any better than it has in the past? What kind of play are we going to see from the young Safties? The philosophy of the NT position isnt high on my list of concerns. Parry seems to be a solid/active NT and should get better with more experience so he and is rotation mates could be a strength.

It's a passing league so to me i'ts better to have D linemen that can stay on the field in every situation if asked to, versus a bunch of two down run stuffers who have to come out on passing downs.  All of our D linemen are versatile and can stay on the field all 3 downs if asked to do so. Can play the run as well.  I'm expecting much better with a simplified scheme and better communication.  Guys can pin there ears back and just play without confusing the assignment.

10 minutes ago, krunk said:

It's a passing league so to me i'ts better to have D linemen that can stay on the field in every situation if asked to, versus a bunch of two down run stuffers who have to come out on passing downs.  All of our D linemen are versatile and can stay on the field all 3 downs if asked to do so. Can play the run as well.  I'm expecting much better with a simplified scheme and better communication.  Guys can pin there ears back and just play without confusing the assignment.

Im anxious to see how things are different with Manachino calling the plays

You know...have a penetrating NT to go with the same at DE and DT could come in usefull with Sio's injury. Meaning this:

Sio is a cover LB.  Irving is more of a thumping run stuffer.  With Geathers out, that leaves Green in. So while the down linemen are trying to get behind the line, our MLB's D.Q. and Irving (both run stuffers) can clean up anything that slips by, leaving Green to cover the TE. (whom might be the best we have for that anyhow).  This could all turn out for the best...we'll see.

Yeah I hated way we wanted the big, slow, un-athletic NT's like Chapman, etc. It never made sense to me. IMO if you're running a 34 you should want to go with the 1 gap. I would want every one of my D-Linemen to be able to penetrate, and get into the backfield and cause disruption. I hope Parry can take a big step forward this year and become a really good starter. He played well at the beginning of the year last season, but then kinda fell off a cliff. Maybe with Anderson being back it'll help him out.

12 hours ago, backshoulderfade said:

Anyone I should be looking at? Always a fan of those NTs

Chris Wormely (plays more of a DE in the scheme but he's 303 lbs) from Michigan, Lowell Loutelei(yes the younger brother of star), Montravius Adams from Auburn, and Carlos Watkins from Clemson.

On August 20, 2016 at 8:17 AM, Defjamz26 said:

Came in here to say this. We tried that approach already and it failed. They went with a different approach (1-gap) and so far it's worked better, and Parry isn't even an elite talent. He's good but all I'm saying is imagine if the Colts had an elite 1-gap NT. Run D would be on another level.

That's not exactly true.  We rarely had the traditional not.  Usually played shaded

On 8/19/2016 at 9:00 PM, rock8591 said:

David Perry = an Offensive coordinators dream

On 8/20/2016 at 8:47 AM, Defjamz26 said:

True but there are some intriguing prospects in the upcoming draft. Makes you wonder if a stud was available at the Colts pick would they take him. They've always wanted a game wrecker at NT.

I think you stay 1 gap until you have the ability to go 2 gap.  Everyone wants to go 2 gap NT, ideally.  But you keep the rest of your defense in tact by playing to your capacity and expanding it to include 2 gap responsibility during hte season situationally (and outright installing it over the course of an offseason) should someone ever play above said 1 gap capacity.