Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL will suspend 4 players linked to Al Jazzera report if they fail to interview with Goodell

RockThatBlue

30 minutes ago, chad72 said:

It is not hard to determine whether a report is grounded in garbage or has any kind of legs to it. To me, there were possible shipments made from the institute and in Peyton's case, it was to his residence probably. So the league wanted to get to the bottom of it. They weren't going to publicize the evidence they have in Peyton's case, same with the other players. It is not a mere pointing of fingers if they have the evidence. The NFL is not obligated to provide the evidence to the public, so it is pure conjecture on our parts to say the NFL does not have proof.

In other words, how do we really know the NFL does not have proof that shipments were made to their addresses? If they really have the evidence, the players or their lawyers need to reach out and see what they really have instead of waiting till their suspension hearing and presenting just their side of the story. That is my thought process. If it is just empty smoke, the players don't need to co-operate after that.

While the precedents may be ugly and do not give the NFL the benefit of doubt in the players' or public's eyes, the players should do their due diligence, that is what I am getting at.

4 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

They arn't saying "prove your not guilty" they are saying "come in and answer some questions".  

This isn't a hearing in which they are going to be handing out punishments.  It's asking them to answer some questions.  

When the NFL is investigating something it should have the right to suspend players for refusing to answer questions or for doing what they can to hold up the investigation. 

No, I don't know if the league has any proof.  But so far it seems all they have is the report which the author has back tracked on and no collaborating evidence.  So it goes back to someone is pointing fingers and the NFL is going to suspend players for no other reason than someone pointed a finger.

As far as it not being a "prove you're not guilty", that is exactly what it is.  yes they are going to be asking questions but it's not like they are going to ask, "how are you today?  The wife, kids all good?"  They are going to ask them questions about things in the article and determine if they are telling the truth or not.  If the investigators decide they are not telling the truth then they will let Goodell know that and he will do the same thing as he did with Brady.... he will say there is no direct evidence but common sense dictates they are guilty and thus suspended.

29 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

They are going to ask them questions about things in the article and determine if they are telling the truth or not.  If the investigators decide they are not telling the truth then they will let Goodell know that and he will do the same thing as he did with Brady.... he will say there is no direct evidence but common sense dictates they are guilty and thus suspended.

While the NFL may feel emboldened based on Brady's case, you still have to look at this differently. All parties need to agree to treat this under the PED umbrella first before any conversations happen. Brady's was moved to the "conduct detrimental to league" umbrella and that is when things got fuzzy there where the NFL used the vague language in the CBA to its advantage, IMO. The PED umbrella is a little more defined, IMO, in the CBA. So, if the NFL does not have evidence of any shipments in their conversation and just hearsay from the article, then the lawyers have to call it off but like I said, they have to go through the due diligence part and that would be the right thing to do, IMO.

On 8/16/2016 at 9:51 PM, NFLfan said:

Okay. I don't disagree with you. We just expressed our points differently. The Commissioner wants to show that he is still in charge. What I meant to convey is that as long as the players give their interviews, they can go about their business.  I dont believe there will be any punishment unless the players refuse to meet with the NFL.

I don't believe that there is really an investigation, but the NFL must do their due diligence to make it appear that they have done an investigation and conclude that there was no wrongdoing. JMO.

The NFL and Goodell are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

If the NFL didn't investigate the report people would claim Roger is letting players cheat without doing nothing. If he does try to interview them he gets attacked for showing too much power.

The players should grow a pair and go to the interview and be done with it. If you have nothing to hide then why not go and clear your name? The players are kind of being drama queens about this IMO.

I mean, if you were running a business and someone came to you telling you some of your employees were doing something bad, wouldn't you want to check it out, even if the source may not be reliable? Better safe than sorry.

On August 15, 2016 at 11:31 PM, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

The NFL is using a hit piece from a now defunct Al Jazerra english channel that went under earlier this year & was trying to grab headlines if they believed Peyton Manning why threaten anyone else there story was proven to be false in 18's case it does'nt pass the smell test , The NFL can't have it both ways , If 18's innocent then so are the other players ..  

Here's the link to the story 

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2015/12/27/al-jazeera-investigates-secret-world-of-sports-doping.html

No offense here but it seems obtuse to say "if 18 is innocent so are the others".

Basis and source on any of the others players may be more credible than was for Manning...just sayin.

8 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

The NFL and Goodell are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

If the NFL didn't investigate the report people would claim Roger is letting players cheat without doing nothing. If he does try to interview them he gets attacked for showing too much power.

The players should grow a pair and go to the interview and be done with it. If you have nothing to hide then why not go and clear your name? The players are kind of being drama queens about this IMO.

I mean, if you were running a business and someone came to you telling you some of your employees were doing something bad, wouldn't you want to check it out, even if the source may not be reliable? Better safe than sorry.

The issue with statements like this are that the players have no reason to trust the NFL in cases such as this. It's very easy for us to sit there and say 'if there's nothing to hide, then just go clear your name'...but lets be honest here...the last few higher profile disciplinary cases in the NFL have not exactly gone without controversy and dishonesty. There is certainly precedent for the players to be skeptical.

12 hours ago, Happy2BeHere said:

No offense here but it seems obtuse to say "if 18 is innocent so are the others".

Basis and source on any of the others players may be more credible than was for Manning...just sayin.

I believe the basis & source are exactly the same the only difference is Peyton Manning & his wife addressed the issue & these other players ignored it IMO the outcome is the same ,

I believe because of De-flategate & Tom Brady being unwilling to co-operate this issue of co-operation is now a bigger issue to the NFL than the story that was released in Feb or this would not of waited 6 months to be resolved .

I'm not hearing anyone say they believe the story,

IMO once again because of De-flategate , The NFL is gonna make damn sure in the future when it asks for co-operation it gets it no more courts you come in & talk or you will be suspended like Tom Brady this year .

5 hours ago, dynasty13 said:

The issue with statements like this are that the players have no reason to trust the NFL in cases such as this. It's very easy for us to sit there and say 'if there's nothing to hide, then just go clear your name'...but lets be honest here...the last few higher profile disciplinary cases in the NFL have not exactly gone without controversy and dishonesty. There is certainly precedent for the players to be skeptical.

Yeah Buddy I think you right ,

Controversy & Dishonesty your post confirms what IMO is at the root of this after Tom Brady the league will nolonger put up with players not co-operating even if there is no truth to it they will require cooperation without it you'll be suspended as Tom Brady was the courts have spoken & this is the NFL exercising there rights layed out in the CBA .

2 hours ago, Cynjin said:

Heard a report that all four will meet with the NFL.  Smart move by them.

Edit:. Neal may not have agreed to meet yet.

Well they better. I'd hate to think what the alternative would mean for them!

Kind of disappointed that they are going to meet with the NFL. This sets a ridiculous precedent. Make a completely baseless claim about a player and they are forced to jump through hoops to prove their innocence. The fact that the NFL thinks that it can suspend players with absolutely no evidence of breaking any rules is absolutely ridiculous. I could honestly see the negotiations for the new CBA to eat into that next season, because the NFL certainly is not instilling any confidence in their players with their repeated attempts to test the bounds of the current CBA with regards to the players' rights. 

14 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

The NFL could not ignore the Al Jazeera story...

The players are doing the right thing...they don't have to like it.

there is no precedent set here..they were asked to come in....as others have been

Every body';s  got a boss

This blurs the line between being able to punish a player for an act they have committed and being able to punish a player in order to compel them to commit an act. Just my opinion. I was on board with the Brady punishment because the CBA was worded in such a way that it allowed for it. I have been presented no such sourcing that shows the CBA says a player can be threatened, especially when the facts don't actually exist. 

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 11:06 PM, ReMeDy said:

I wonder if this is just one more reason Peyton retired, because now, he doesn't have to put up with this bull. Not to say he's guilty, but just the convictions of it all and the drama... I certainly wouldn't want any part of it.

Peyton retired because he isn't playing near the level he was at and this past season showed his superior mental skills weren't enough to compensate for his declining physical skills.  He went out on top and there are few, if any teams, especially contending teams where he would be a starter in this league.......... I highly doubt he gives 2 flying effs about Julius Peppers, James Harrison, Clay Matthews or any other guys who've been good or are on the brink of being HOFers.... Peyton should be an unanimous 1st ballot HOFer... he went out on top, let him rest and retire in peace.

10 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

The NFL could not ignore the Al Jazeera story...

The players are doing the right thing...they don't have to like it.

there is no precedent set here..they were asked to come in....as others have been

Every body';s  got a boss

They certainly could have ignored the al jazeera report.  The accuser admitted he lied and made up the story.  So if the national enquirier has a report show nfl players are using,   They still have to go in and prove they are innocent.    The NFL should at least go to the players,  Not the players take time out of their lives to go to New York.

On 8/16/2016 at 6:24 PM, NewColtsFan said:

I would respectfully disagree with this....

If the NFL really wanted this to go away,   it would go away.    The players have submitted sworn affidavits that the claim is false and nothing happened.      But they don't want to set president about accepting sworn affidavits being acceptable.

What's important to the NFL is that the commissioners broad powers be upheld and recognized by the players.   That's what's important to the league.     So if Goodell says come to New York and talk to me,   they expect the players to go and talk to the commish.      They don't want the players to hide behind the NFLPA.

This is an issue for the league,  whether the players want to acknowledge it or not....

president --> precedent. " [A]n earlier event or action that is regarded as an example or guide to be considered in subsequent similar circumstances. " -- Wikipedia

4 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Major League Baseball just Cleared Ryan Howard and Ryan Zimmerman of any PED use.  They were implicated in the Al Jazeera report.  I expect the NFL guys might not have any evidence of PED use either.

It's a shame that anyone has to go through an Investigation with this sham of an accusation.  Happy to hear they were cleared.

8 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

They certainly could have ignored the al jazeera report.  The accuser admitted he lied and made up the story.  So if the national enquirier has a report show nfl players are using,   They still have to go in and prove they are innocent.    The NFL should at least go to the players,  Not the players take time out of their lives to go to New York.

So if your boss wants to talk to you he needs to go to your house?

26 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

So if your boss wants to talk to you he needs to go to your house?

My boss works and lives in the city I do.   I never said he had to go to their house,  The teams facilities seems appropriate.  They are all getting ready to play a season,  he wants them to come to New York to talk about a non issue.   The league went to Foxboro to interview the Brady bunch 

19 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

My boss works and lives in the city I do.   I never said he had to go to their house,  The teams facilities seems appropriate.  They are all getting ready to play a season,  he wants them to come to New York to talk about a non issue.   The league went to Foxboro to interview the Brady bunch 

The Brady bunch were different issues. To the NFL it is not a non issue. If the guys in question would have come the first time they were ask they weren't getting ready to play a season. It is their fault this has went on as long as it has. Manning cooperated and his issues were taken care of at the time.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

The Brady bunch were different issues. To the NFL it is not a non issue. If the guys in question would have come the first time they were ask they weren't getting ready to play a season. It is their fault this has went on as long as it has. Manning cooperated and his issues were taken care of at the time.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

So,  every time a tabloid comes out that players used Peds they have to fly to New York?  Nonsense.  The mlb didn't require that of their players.  

Also,  I don't believe Peyton had to go to New York and visit goodell

58 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

So,  every time a tabloid comes out that players used Peds they have to fly to New York?  Nonsense.  The mlb didn't require that of their players.  

Also,  I don't believe Peyton had to go to New York and visit goodell

Manning did what was ask of him. The problem with these guys in question is their lack of cooperation. Lumping the NFL in with the MLB or the NBA are different things altogether. Don't get me wrong as I quite understand where you are coming from but these players are trying to play hardball when it was not necessary. Everyone has a chip on their shoulder against Goodell when it is not him that is controlling things. He makes no moves, says nothing and does nothing without the majority owners approval. He is nothing but a well paid yes man who does as he is told.