Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Training camp day three thread (First day of pads)

Everyone

Pass rush drill. One of my favorite drills when the pads are on is the pass rush drill the Colts do. They line up five offensive linemen, but only one of them will be going on the play. A defensive player is lined up opposite of him, and the two then face off. This provides a lot of intensity and intrigue and gives us a better idea of the pass rush and the offensive line. One of the best reps of the day belonged to rookie center Ryan Kelly before the rain delay, as he faced off against starting nose tackle David Parry and completely stonewalled him right off the snap. Later in practice the Colts ran the same drill again, and both Ron Thompson and T.Y. McGill (“Touchdown T.Y.” after his pick-six yesterday) had several nice plays. On another play, David Parry destroyed Austin Blythe as he quickly got right past him. Erik Walden also had a very nice rush where he blew by Joe Reitz along the right side, and Denzelle Good did a good job against Kendall Langford on another rep. During the earlier session, a couple of other plays besides the Kelly one stood out: Le’Raven Clark owned Sterling Bailey, and Jack Mewhort did the same to Arthur Jones (after which there was some talking until they were separated).

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2016/7/29/12326758/colts-camp-notebook-day-three

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, SilentHill said:

Pep was terrible. End of story.

Pep's first year he cut Luck's interceptions almost in half.

Pep's 2nd year,  Luck led the NFL in TD's....   our offense, as flawed as it was,  was one of the best in the NFL.

There's nothing terrible about that.

You can keep lying to yourself and others here to make yourself feel good,   but that doesn't make it the truth.

End of story.

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

Something about Maggitt keeps telling me his body is not going to withstand the punishment. Not sure if he'll make it.

Yeah, I know it's just a "tweaked" ankle but that still doesn't bode well for a guy with a history of injuries. Especially being an UDFA that needs every oppurtunity he can get to make the team. 

1 hour ago, krunk said:

The full pads on Friday brought plenty of one-on-one battles in the trenches. In team settings, we saw both Trevor Bates and Trent Cole record “sacks.”
http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Practice-Three-Training-Camp-Notebook-Mother-Nature-Can’t-Keep-Colts-Indoors-For-Long/63c49799-3d3b-4fa2-af8a-19ea26da54b5

Sounds like Bates is doing well. Mathis compliments him and he got a sack today. Nice!

6 hours ago, Superman said:

I'm not sure about that. The guaranteed money from the Colts was a roster bonus, not salary. For salary cap purposes, they're the same, but for offsets, I'm not sure. I've looked around and never found a satisfying answer.

I wondered about that myself.  If you don't know the answer (the guy I usually look to for them on salary cap issues) then I have no idea who else around here would know.  

3 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

Yeah its odd. Last couple years a player couldn't fart without the media tweeting it out. This year its like eh? We will tweet when we feel like it or if someone gets hurt. Odd.

The colts need to pay @IndyD4U to go up there and report updates. Hes done a better job than they have so far!

That's in part because the brilliant media mostly thought we were Super Bowl bound last year and this year mostly think we'll finish 3rd in our division.  Not much more to it in my view.  We're not the "media darlings" this year, Jacksonville is instead.  It works against us we play them in London for our first trip when they are the home team there.  But, the Colts are one of the few teams who typically win on the road on Thursday night games so hopefully we'll keep defying the norms.  

2 hours ago, krunk said:

Pass rush drill. One of my favorite drills when the pads are on is the pass rush drill the Colts do. They line up five offensive linemen, but only one of them will be going on the play. A defensive player is lined up opposite of him, and the two then face off. This provides a lot of intensity and intrigue and gives us a better idea of the pass rush and the offensive line. One of the best reps of the day belonged to rookie center Ryan Kelly before the rain delay, as he faced off against starting nose tackle David Parry and completely stonewalled him right off the snap. Later in practice the Colts ran the same drill again, and both Ron Thompson and T.Y. McGill (“Touchdown T.Y.” after his pick-six yesterday) had several nice plays. On another play, David Parry destroyed Austin Blythe as he quickly got right past him. Erik Walden also had a very nice rush where he blew by Joe Reitz along the right side, and Denzelle Good did a good job against Kendall Langford on another rep. During the earlier session, a couple of other plays besides the Kelly one stood out: Le’Raven Clark owned Sterling Bailey, and Jack Mewhort did the same to Arthur Jones (after which there was some talking until they were separated).

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2016/7/29/12326758/colts-camp-notebook-day-three

Mewhort is a beast.  Also, this is the second time I have heard Blythe mentioned in a comment and both times it was negative.  I hope it's not a trend, I'd like to see us with 2 new Centers in the fold.  

1 hour ago, our_dbs_rock said:

If anyone cares, here are a couple cellphone pictures I took today before lightning forced everyone out.

KedKQ65.jpg

SidLXGl.jpg

77BkwF9.jpg

UzWYksX.jpg

54bWmtJ.jpg

3L99slY.jpg

rtTFHX4.jpg

LXw3Uas.jpg

yKFuSP5.jpg

Thanks for sharing ODBSR!. too bad the weather broke up practice... I guess we'll have to wait til Sunday for more info.  

Im not thrilled about Parry dropping weight, but it's not an end all be all. His play might have dropped off at the end of last year due to hitting the "rookie wall" and shedding weight might help him with that. I don't really see any true NTs on the roster, but I'm not sure that it's a bad thing.

I think that, between Thornton and Good, we will see some good play at RG this year. Thornton always seems to be on the cusp of getting it together and nobody ever had anything but praise for Good. It's just a matter of getting the right guy in there. Having a competent Center will benefit whoever wins that spot to an underrated degree. 

Im glad camp is finally here... Great updates guys. 

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Pep's first year he cut Luck's interceptions almost in half.

Pep's 2nd year,  Luck led the NFL in TD's....   our offense, as flawed as it was,  was one of the best in the NFL.

There's nothing terrible about that.

You can keep lying to yourself and others here to make yourself feel good,   but that doesn't make it the truth.

End of story.

Cool story, bro.

1 hour ago, jskinnz said:

Why?  Because they did not tell you Langford's status in the half second after it happened?

No, not at all. Injuries are the only thing they do report fast. 

Last year and the year before that and the year before that they would tweet out updates anytime a play was made, they would tweet out anytime a player looks good or bad, and nearly everytime you'd refresh the browser there would be plenty of updates. This year? They take 20 to 30 minutes to tweet any updates. And when they do tweet its something vague. 

10 hours ago, JPFolks said:

Mewhort is a beast.  Also, this is the second time I have heard Blythe mentioned in a comment and both times it was negative.  I hope it's not a trend, I'd like to see us with 2 new Centers in the fold.  

Blythe is a 7th round center who I'm sure they know needs some development.  I'm sure they knew that before they drafted him.  If I believed in betting(which I don't) I think it would be a safe one to conclude that Jonathan Harrison will remain on the roster as the backup to Kelly.   He has too much in game experience and 2 years of preparation on Blythe.  The staff for whatever reason feels comfortable turning to him.  I have a fair level of confidence Blythe will in all likelihood be cut and placed on the PS for development.  There's no real need to throw him in to the fire right away.  When you look at his body he looks like a little fat pudgy kid, he needs some time to adjust and develop his body. Besides Lucks familiarity with him I think they took him because he comes from Iowa.  It's a coaching staff Joe Philbin is very familiar with, and he knows their style of teaching offensive lineman.  He reminds me a little bit of an undeveloped Jeff Saturday.

11 hours ago, JPFolks said:

Thanks for sharing ODBSR!. too bad the weather broke up practice... I guess we'll have to wait til Sunday for more info.  

With offensive line coach Joe Philbin watching, first-round pick Ryan Kelly excelled, holding his own against a number of rushers, including David Parry. Joe Haeg, the mountainous fifth-round pick out of North Dakota State, was impressive as well. And on one play, second-year guard/tackle Denzelle Good, absolutely stonewalled veteran defensive end Kendall Langford.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2016/07/29/colts-observations-colts-d-hinges-vontae-davis/87530478/

11 hours ago, Carlos Danger said:

Im not thrilled about Parry dropping weight, but it's not an end all be all. His play might have dropped off at the end of last year due to hitting the "rookie wall" and shedding weight might help him with that. I don't really see any true NTs on the roster, but I'm not sure that it's a bad thing.

I think that, between Thornton and Good, we will see some good play at RG this year. Thornton always seems to be on the cusp of getting it together and nobody ever had anything but praise for Good. It's just a matter of getting the right guy in there. Having a competent Center will benefit whoever wins that spot to an underrated degree. 

Im glad camp is finally here... Great updates guys. 

I don't think we'll need that True Nose tackle.  In this passing league to me you need more versatile guys that can stay on the field whether it's run or pass.  That's guys like Ridgeway, Kerr, Parry, and maybe you could include Arthur Jones.  Ridgeway in particular is known for being really good in both phases coming out of College.  Parry is pretty solid too and we have to remember that he is only in his second year so he should get even better.  I don't like Zach Kerr as much as I like the other two, but he is definitely able to get some push on the pocket in the passing game and has improved some against the run.  I think we have a pretty solid trio there.

19 hours ago, Everyone said:

Nick Truesdell- 6 ft 7 in  240 lb

American football wide receiver for the Portland Steel of the Arena Football League (AFL). He was signed by the Colorado Ice as an undrafted free agent in 2014. He played college football at the University of Cincinnati before transferring to Grand Rapids Community College.[

1 hour ago, krunk said:

With offensive line coach Joe Philbin watching, first-round pick Ryan Kelly excelled, holding his own against a number of rushers, including David Parry. Joe Haeg, the mountainous fifth-round pick out of North Dakota State, was impressive as well. And on one play, second-year guard/tackle Denzelle Good, absolutely stonewalled veteran defensive end Kendall Langford.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2016/07/29/colts-observations-colts-d-hinges-vontae-davis/87530478/

Nice to hear about Good, as well.  Was he lined up as RT or RG?

55 minutes ago, krunk said:

I hope this guy turns out to be something.  Luck would be getting his Levine Toilolo back with even faster speed at 4.5.  He's faster than Coby Fleener too and appears to be more athletic. 

29 minutes ago, krunk said:

I hope this guy turns out to be something.  Luck would be getting his Levine Toilolo back with even faster speed at 4.5.  He's faster than Coby Fleener too and appears to be more athletic. 

I give him credit for persistence, he's tried out for several teams and played a lot of arena ball.

Just found an interesting article on him, apparently he had a few off the field issues in college and lack of experience was the excuse for not making a pro team.  Could be an interesting prospect.  

http://www.bemidjipioneer.com/content/indoor-football-axemens-truesdell-getting-second-chance-life-football

1 hour ago, krunk said:

I don't think we'll need that True Nose tackle.  In this passing league to me you need more versatile guys that can stay on the field whether it's run or pass.  That's guys like Ridgeway, Kerr, Parry, and maybe you could include Arthur Jones.  Ridgeway in particular is known for being really good in both phases coming out of College.  Parry is pretty solid too and we have to remember that he is only in his second year so he should get even better.  I don't like Zach Kerr as much as I like the other two, but he is definitely able to get some push on the pocket in the passing game and has improved some against the run.  I think we have a pretty solid trio there.

But but but Kerricane...... I do agree though, alot of people are strangely down on Parry because of his size and refuse to look at his production as a rookie. Kerr however is very very nice depth and strives to get better. Udfa steal imo

43 minutes ago, krunk said:

Meant to add this - can you find any indication that he ever played TE?  I always see him referred to as a WR.   That would fit the Coby role if he has any blocking ability at all.

He made some sick grabs in that video.   Could be a hidden gem.  

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

Meant to add this - can you find any indication that he ever played TE?  I always see him referred to as a WR.   That would fit the Coby role if he has any blocking ability at all.

It would be interesting to see if he can bring the physicality, in the video, against NFL caliber players. 

3 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Hes a similar story to Mike Miller. Wr being converted to TE. Has more freakish athletic traits. 6'7" 4.55 40 and appears to have solid hands. No history of playing TE. If he can show some kind of effect on the passing game in the Preseason I say he will stick around in some form or fashion. Julius Thomas to this day is not known for his run blocking.

7 hours ago, krunk said:

Thanks for posting this. The guy is very raw but has the physical traits to be a good one. I always root for arena players to make the jump to the NFL. Maybe he could be a good special teams guy till he gets up to speed as a receiver of some sort. I also hope his off the field issues are truly behind him.

Not sure he ever actually "played" in college. Probably recruited as a TE if that's what he played in HS.

A project to be certain but I'm rooting for him.

11 hours ago, krunk said:

Blythe is a 7th round center who I'm sure they know needs some development.  I'm sure they knew that before they drafted him.  If I believed in betting(which I don't) I think it would be a safe one to conclude that Jonathan Harrison will remain on the roster as the backup to Kelly.   He has too much in game experience and 2 years of preparation on Blythe.  The staff for whatever reason feels comfortable turning to him.  I have a fair level of confidence Blythe will in all likelihood be cut and placed on the PS for development.  There's no real need to throw him in to the fire right away.  When you look at his body he looks like a little fat pudgy kid, he needs some time to adjust and develop his body. Besides Lucks familiarity with him I think they took him because he comes from Iowa.  It's a coaching staff Joe Philbin is very familiar with, and he knows their style of teaching offensive lineman.  He reminds me a little bit of an undeveloped Jeff Saturday.

I was thinking Saturday as well who wasn't even drafted right?  Sure he's a 7th rounder but was a solid player at Iowa and some were surprised we got him so late.  I just think having some new blood is more promising than going back to our worst lineman since Luck has been on the team to back up our star rookie.  You do have a valid point, however, in that the one benefit of keeping Harrison around is his experience with the team... too bad his play didn't demonstrate his experience.  

3 hours ago, JPFolks said:

I was thinking Saturday as well who wasn't even drafted right?  Sure he's a 7th rounder but was a solid player at Iowa and some were surprised we got him so late.  I just think having some new blood is more promising than going back to our worst lineman since Luck has been on the team to back up our star rookie.  You do have a valid point, however, in that the one benefit of keeping Harrison around is his experience with the team... too bad his play didn't demonstrate his experience.  

Believe me if I could put Harrison on the next thing smoking out of here I would.  I just don't see Blythe being the one to do that.  I would be really grateful if he did though!